Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Cavalier342

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mikebmth wrote:

Oh btw he thinks 55 on the motorway is ok....Crazy old man
It is in most U.S. states :D
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I managed to get 410 miles to 50 litres of fuel today in the Diplomat (C20NE) on the trip up to the North Norfolk coastal run, that's just under 38 mpg doing around 80-85 mph there and 70ish back.

And about the fuel light, I'd say it depends on the car as to when it comes on.
The fuel light comes on really early on my LS; when there is still about 1/8th of a tank left. But on the others it comes on really late; when there is only about 3 litres left.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Ambient temp makes a surprising amount of difference to fuel consumption, particularly with a few cold starts mixed in. We used to get an influx of people complaining about poor fuel consumption every autumn when the weather started to turn.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
CavNoirDip

Post by CavNoirDip »

And about the fuel light, I'd say it depends on the car as to when it comes on.
Damn fuel light is on ALL of the time on mine, even when full. :scratch :scratch
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well the charge back down the motorway late at night I hasten to add maybe did her some good, not using a drop of oil really so thats a great start..

Oil light now works when it feels like it so needs investigation and yet to do the Track Rod Ends it needs as told it will fail the next MOT on its current ones..

Sadly falling out of love with the old girl, the temptation of a Astra coupe 2.2 is strong but resale on these is poor at the moment so knowing me I will find something to do to get me back in the mood to work on it properly.
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Not being funny but if you think a 2 liter 8-valve goes through fuel fuel like a vicar goes through scotch, then a 2.2 isn't going to be any better :lol:

There's always something to do, you know that. Personally I'd put some attention to the bodywork, rust etc. It'll make it look a lot more presentable and fetch a few more quid if/when you decide to sell it.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

What rust?

Only rust on it is 1 spot out of sight at base of A pillar....Lol.....

Lacquer work just too expensive to bother with, its just a car thats it...No emotion in it now so time to pass it onto someone who will maybe finish it off properly, going to need a proper engine overhaul and electrical works so for now its a driver until funds allow my new car

Every project comes to its end and I am starting to think the Cav is as far as I want to take it and spend so minor works will be done over coming weeks but I am watching the prices on the Astras daily and know I can get what I want for sensible money, maybe not the 2.2 but the 1.8 which is still more powerful than the Cav and offers more comfort too.

There is loads more I could do to the Cav but spent too much already and getting kind of bored of it as just not the car it was before the HG failure.
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Mikebmth wrote: the temptation of a Astra coupe 2.2 is strong

Astra coupes are great cars but i wouldnt go for the 2.2 , Spend abit extra and go for the 2 litre turbo, insurance is cheap on them and plenty of cheap parts for the z20let and a much better engine. You would pick one up for £1k easy
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

If you do replace... Defo go for a turbo!!!
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

To be honest not fussy about fast cars so much now, yes I am a fast driver and don't deny it but with the fuel prices being the way they are I am trying to lighten up my right foot a tad anyway..

Leave the traffic light grand prix to the big boys now, the cav just too old and slow compared to todays machinery.

Astra Turbo is very tempting but looking 2K plus and thats out of my league unless I keep the Cav for another year and finish up the few jobs it needs then sell on late 2014 as most of my debts will be settled by then so more money for a car and mods!

Decisions decisions....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mikebmth wrote: Leave the traffic light grand prix to the big boys now, the cav just too old and slow compared to todays machinery.
Rubbish!
Previous:

terkin

Post by terkin »

Cavalier342 wrote:
Mikebmth wrote: Leave the traffic light grand prix to the big boys now, the cav just too old and slow compared to todays machinery.
Rubbish!
tbh he is right :lol:
terkin

Post by terkin »

Mikebmth wrote:To be honest not fussy about fast cars so much now, yes I am a fast driver and don't deny it but with the fuel prices being the way they are I am trying to lighten up my right foot a tad anyway..

Leave the traffic light grand prix to the big boys now, the cav just too old and slow compared to todays machinery.

Astra Turbo is very tempting but looking 2K plus and thats out of my league unless I keep the Cav for another year and finish up the few jobs it needs then sell on late 2014 as most of my debts will be settled by then so more money for a car and mods!

Decisions decisions....
why not take a break from vaux?

how about a nice skoda :lol:
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Get over it.....

You wanna sit arguing about engines then go post somewhere else on the forum, not on my WIP....

Any engine has its faults, am currently bidding on a 2.2 coupe Astra so we'll see...As for you don't agree statements, how many of you own or have owned a C20NE?? Maybe 1 of you that have commented...

You cannot judge the car without driving it and as I have owned it now for about 4 years and spent a fortune on it, for me the car is too old and now becoming problematic and difficult to get the parts I want for it without paying a premium price because people think they are rare. My point has been all along that this car is not the same car it was before its HG went and now after paying out 3 times what it is worth in repairs I concede defeat..

Want something newer and if I had ready cash waiting a mk4 Gsi Turbo would be my choice car but right now its a watch the auctions and see what happens affair, the Cav is due another MOT in January time I believe so see what happens..
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Im sure i posted a reply but asuming from your last one some sort of debate statted i do appologise if i caused any offense i was just sharing my personal experience an opinion good luck with your decision mike :thumb
[center]Image
[/center]
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

jimmy wrote:Im sure i posted a reply but asuming from your last one some sort of debate statted i do appologise if i caused any offense i was just sharing my personal experience an opinion good luck with your decision mike :thumb
No worries buddy, was having a proper sh*t day too which didn't help but hey....

Well didn't win the 2.2 Astra and the Cav has not moved an inch since Friday afternoon as it has been my birthday weekend I locked the keys away and went to the pub, been there ever since..Lol

Week off next week so if we get any more decent weather I may have a look at the Cav.
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

I've had 3 c20ne cavs... First one had done 255000 miles with no major work... Just service and 2 head gaskets done on miles not because it blew...
2nd one had about 200000 on the clock and had an issue with fuel pump relay... Head gasket finally went due to my neglect...
3rd only has 75000 on her and is purring like a beaut!!!

I've always found them reliable and easy to work on...
I think someone treated yours like shit in the past and it's starting to show...
Shame we can't pull the lump out and do a full overhaul :(

Buy a cinquecento, drive it for 2 years and then get back in your cav!!! Lol
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hayward691 wrote:
Buy a cinquecento, drive it for 2 years and then get back in your cav!!! Lol
You do know he's gonna tear you a new one for even mentioning that biblically atrocious thing on here!!!
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hayward691 wrote: Buy a cinquecento, drive it for 2 years and then get back in your cav!!! Lol
You are having a feckin laugh....Wouldn't be seen dead in one of those sh*t boxes

The end result is going to be I will keep the Cav until I find something else and just keep it running, no point in buying something cheap that is going to need more work doing so once debts are settled I may consider a newer astra or vectra cdti on finance, also looking at the Mazda 6 range as have driven 2 and loved them both..

For now the Cav needs its Track rod ends doing and pre Mot prep in next month or two as due in January I believe, always forget...Busy life you know!! :lol:

Just wish I could get the Cav to handle properly again, sumin aint right and no one seems to be able to find out why but then she still good for breaking speed limits with on my motorway runs home late at night so guess thats fine, just fancy something more modern.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Just keeps me coming back to this car for more....Vauxhall mad or just plain mental....

Been driving it about as usual really, no changes, exhaust clonks from time to time and dunno why also sounds like its blowing but system been off and checked and all is fine so weird!!

Spent some money again the past few weeks on no essential things like the interior lights off Turbodan I have yet to fit and an Omega variable speed wiper arm again yet to fit, just purchased a set of 16" multispokes off a old mate too that will fit no problems as off his 4 stud Astra but they will need a recon so considering that new rubber/plastic paint foliatec do.

The old girl needs a clutch soon I think so that will be a expense and is still waiting on the Track Rod Ends to be ordered and done but yet to order any, also needs new spark plugs and a winter service but will get that done when I get an hour free.

Otherwise next to be seen out and about at the southcoast meet in November and maybe I will have got some of the jobs done by then, or maybe not knowing me...Lol
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Its a cav thing, I don't know what it is about them but you always go back for more!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

You ain't wrong there Dan.
Previous:

Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

When you need your clutch doing, give me a shout and I'll see if my dad is up for it :)
Should only take a couple of hours as you have the inspection plate... Obv get a quote first... Might be cheap... Lol
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hayward691 wrote:When you need your clutch doing, give me a shout and I'll see if my dad is up for it :)
Should only take a couple of hours as you have the inspection plate... Obv get a quote first... Might be cheap... Lol
Sure it won't be far off mate, it stinks at the moment so not good and off the line its sh*te....Think a good service will help too, plugs are shot!!
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Thought I would post the new rims up, still unsure on fit as 205/55/16 so chunky as feck but we'll see....Being a pussy at the moment as its too fapping cold out to spray them and my boss would go spastic if I did them in the office...Lol

Bar that the old girl needs a good going over, one of my mates who has had 6 Cavs has agreed to have a good look over it one weekend but still undecided on what to do with it as considering a Saab 9-3 2.2 (210) sport at the moment...Cav on this set up just too hard and every bump is a mountain even on -40mm drop...
Attachments
new alloys.jpg