WELCOME TO MY CAVALIER GSI

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
chrisvectra

Re: WELCOME TO MY CAVALIER GSI

Post by chrisvectra »

thanks fella i will give it a try
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

First up, caravan dehumidifiers: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290778261027

Second, this leak. If you're sure that it's not the scuttle / elephant trunk and have cleared it of any muck/leaves etc then get under the car and look for the plastic bungs in the drain holes in the floor. They move/erode over time and essentially leave a gaping hole in the floor for all that moisture and dirt to flick up off the road and saturate your footwell. There are quite a few of them and they are singularly responsible for destroying the carpet/sound deadening on many cars.

Finally, when I saw the title of your thread I imagined a doormat with 'Welcome to my Cavalier GSi' in the footwell, as though you were greeting passengers into your ride. I am disappointed to see that this is not the case. Please rectify as soon as possible.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

pic showing location of floor bungs:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

And another. Thanks to Dan Richards for the pics:

cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

With mine I'm taking out the foam under lay from the carpet as some one i met took his out as they just collect way to much water from condensation in the old girls.

I'm taking them out doing rust prevention and then sound proofing if i can get it sorted but for the time being once it's out I'm going without as carpet for the time being.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

I've not driven the car in the rain guys it just gets wet when the car is sitting still in the rain the scuttle and drains are clear so it's gotta be leaking thru the bulkhead somewhere. So not sure the point of these plugs you've put pictures up of whys there point and what should I do with them
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

chrisvectra wrote:I've not driven the car in the rain guys it just gets wet when the car is sitting still in the rain the scuttle and drains are clear so it's gotta be leaking thru the bulkhead somewhere. So not sure the point of these plugs you've put pictures up of whys there point and what should I do with them
I was just suggesting you plug them if the original bungs have popped out or become dislodged as water can flick up into the cabin and soak the floor.
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

My envoy sat for ages with no leaks its just natural evaporation of water that why most cars that are barn finds and have never seen water still rot away badly.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

humbucker wrote:
chrisvectra wrote:I've not driven the car in the rain guys it just gets wet when the car is sitting still in the rain the scuttle and drains are clear so it's gotta be leaking thru the bulkhead somewhere. So not sure the point of these plugs you've put pictures up of whys there point and what should I do with them
I was just suggesting you plug them if the original bungs have popped out or become dislodged as water can flick up into the cabin and soak the floor.
no fella ive not driven the car its sitting outside in the rain thats why im worried about it being the bulkhead somwhere
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

You need to sit in the car while someone literally soaks the car with a hose pipe all over it, try in differant places while you have alook inside for water coming in. Get your head under the dash, around door frames, around window seals, the windscreen area, the rear screen area, rear doors. Just everywhere, its the only way your gonna find it.

Its not gonna be the bungs in the floor, theres no point in messing with them until youve found the actually leak.

Sitting in the car and using the hose pipe costs nothing so do that first before anything else.
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

TurboDan wrote:You need to sit in the car while someone literally soaks the car with a hose pipe all over it, try in differant places while you have alook inside for water coming in. Get your head under the dash, around door frames, around window seals, the windscreen area, the rear screen area, rear doors. Just everywhere, its the only way your gonna find it.

Its not gonna be the bungs in the floor, theres no point in messing with them until youve found the actually leak.

Sitting in the car and using the hose pipe costs nothing so do that first before anything else.
yeah i kinda guessed thats what i was gonna have to do dan its the only way im gonna find it
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

im thinking about putting this up for sale as ive not had the time or the money to get anything done on it and could do with the cash.. but what is a cavalier gsi worth these days i know what i paid for it do they still fetch good money?
Gray16v

Post by Gray16v »

its worth only what someone is prepared to pay for it, anything from 2k to 2.5k I guess

be prepared for lots of timewasters
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

Time wasters??? Really I thought there would be a que to buy a decent Gsi
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

There is just the queue with people who can pay for it is a lot shorter, people think its a old car worth £500
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

gsi's still aint big money
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

they deserve to be though
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

agree dude
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

This one is totally orignal and the best ive seen in the flesh ever!! and i looked at loads before buying this one..
it has all the service history and orignal hand books with all the manuals and stuff in there, even has the phillips radio stickers that havnt been used.. low mileage (87k) and not many owners so its gotta be worth some thing
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

how much you asking?
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

i dont know its gotta be worth over 2k as i paid more then that for it!!
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

aww right
chrisvectra

Post by chrisvectra »

you thinking too much??
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

cant say really dude evey cav is different etc

it maybe worth 2k to someone keen looking for a OEM gsi etc if you get me
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

It's a lovely looking car for sure.

Another idea for your water leak, on the LS that I recently bought when I took the plastic scuttle shield off to re-seal around the plastic blower motor thing (you have done this already I take it?? I could see the water sitting in the blower motor and going over the lip into the fan and then into the car) At the sides of the scuttle where the drain holes are there is loads of factory brush on sealer. There where quite a few cracks in the sealer on mine where it has dried out over the years.....water will drip through these cracks and find a way into the car for sure so I just used a bit of silicone over them to make sure so might be worth looking there too.