MY 1995 MK3 CAVALIER SRI

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Telegram Sam

Re: MY 1995 MK3 CAVALIER SRI

Post by Telegram Sam »

Looks no worse than mine (.. did, before I got it Rustbusted). Granted that there's no alternative to cutting and pasting (I mean welding) when the rust is serious, I just wonder if it is really necessary to get the chainsaws out at the first sign of the stuff anywhere when there are chemical treatments available. Otherwise mine would be more like a patchwork quilt. Having said that it's due for surgery on the roof next week .. :(
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

joe cavalier sri wrote:Some body give me posertive news it got me down seeing all this :tdown :cry
If you do it right, it'll sort.
But stop cutting till you get some more metal back in there! And make sure anything you have exposed to the elements gets covered up in something with a high zinc content to stop the rot spreading.

Boot floor I would imagine needs cleaning back a bit more and possibly more chopped out where the bumper support bracket is.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Envoy CDX wrote:
joe cavalier sri wrote:Some body give me posertive news it got me down seeing all this :tdown :cry
If you do it right, it'll sort.
But stop cutting till you get some more metal back in there! And make sure anything you have exposed to the elements gets covered up in something with a high zinc content to stop the rot spreading.

Boot floor I would imagine needs cleaning back a bit more and possibly more chopped out where the bumper support bracket is.
All rot is cut out now just been fabricating panels you cant buy and using carboad as templates im in not rush I have a very dry garage its in I know its dry because the boiler for the house is in the garage and ive took insulation off some of the pipes to keep it dry :thumb
joe cavalier sri

Well finally got round to working on the old girl now she's in her new home a bigger garage with a pit and where she will stay in winters the clet is beaing rebuilt same as shell with rot cut out and welded up gas shocks on way high flow exhaust and limited slip diff etc pictures to follow.
joe cavalier sri

Well after a long think I'm keeping her its just going to take longer to get back on road here's a few pictures :thumb

Tucked up in garage.

front coil over's and front willwood 4 pots break set up.

Just need to tidy up and get arranged in garage and get arse end up in the air to take all under seal off and treat rust and get polly bushed rear axel on with ss hoses new petrol tank and kunifer brake lines and of course welding.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

"...and of course welding."

Eek! Will you be doing it yourself?
joe cavalier sri

No lol most of rot has been cut out now it's just stripping back original under seal and getting it all sealed again but my mate Dave who's helped with the mechanical work will be doing it he's old Skool as he was welding from a young age around 15 he's now 50 it's just worst jobs now getting arse end of Cav up in air and stripping back and making like new and re sealing but rot is was in normal places for a Cav but most of is solid I just think cav's last bit better with this colour as I see more in good nick with nautilus blue/green
joe cavalier sri

After welding then most of work will be done by me as college has gave me my confidence back and got distinctions In two of my 12 exams and one of those was transmissions and I've cut back hours and work to do college and Ive got a part time job in a garage to make up cut back hours around 48 hours a week and more sometimes but I've learnt a lot so hopefully going well I'll have my level two in motor vehicle and do my level 3 next college year in September :thumb
joe cavalier sri

Rate time to start posting gain after digging out loads of crap out of my pit in my garage so it could be used and sorting out the garage I moved my Cav out and reversed it in with no power steering (its hardest I've worked in a long time) so I wont be getting rid of the power steering :tdown Got her big ass in the air over the pit to get back axel off petrol tank off as that's leaking exhaust etc started with removing underseal and getting rid of rust and get ready for welding. Been a delay with family problems and helping my disabled uncle move the Cav was put on hold. Now I've time tools and money and a level two nearly under my belt with distinctions in all my exams at college o and f@&king my neighbour off with the straight through exhaust with moving her I told him where to go politely so there's someone else who likes the sound of a retro ride with a xe :lol: Here's some more boring pics :thumb

Some more stuff to move on this side but same amount of room as other side when I'm done.

At the back before I jacked it up in air loads of room it looks smaller in pic but its big.

When garage door is shut and I have my two electric heaters on it soon gets hot and I have my own garage kettle and two cups thing are looking up when you know you have a garage kettle and radio lol. Ill try and get some more pics if I remember after weekend :thumb
joe cavalier sri

Well its been a while since I've been on here but i have managed to locate my very first cavalier and it was my very first car on the road legally after passing my test. So i bought it ill scrap the shell of my other Cav and do this one up it is totally solid as it was wax oiled from new only need passengers side cill at rear end a small patch weldng.

joe cavalier sri

I will be putting my Redtop in it and all my uprated bits i bought for my other Sri Cav more wax oil under her etc i am chuffed to bits I've managed to find my first road legal car lol :thumb
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Know the feeling Joe but it's only temporary, it will get fixed, and most of us have been in the same boat before! Thank your lucky stars you never got the car from Scotland as pretty much any car up here doesn't last more than 10 years max, unless you're very lucky, or the car is from the East coast!
joe cavalier sri

joe cavalier sri

Well finally got my first car when i passed my test back it felt strange driving a cav after all this time time to crack on selling cav slabs and interior if anyone is interested cav slabs hold air perfect and tires are nearly new. But the shell is in good nick no rust in normal places only passengers side rear sill. will make a good cav out of the two with this as the main shell :thumb
joe cavalier sri

New cav stripted out
Drivers side boot floor corner
Passangers side boot floor corner
Only scabby bit ive found so far but when i took faom out both front floor pans were wet scuttle and drains ok ? Cleaned out sunroof drains ? No holes or rot in bulkhead ? This was drivers side below gas pedal.
joe cavalier sri

Took most if the interior and plastics to local dump site to find out they wont take them because they mite be stolen :o That's first I've heard about local dump refusing to take rubbish ? It encourages fly tipping but i suppose they cant make money off plastic ?