Andrei's V6 project

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Cavalier342

Andrei's V6 project

Post by Cavalier342 »

Well.... miracles do happen and from right out of the blue, I am now the owner of this 94 CD ( I believe) V6 saloon:

V6 Cav 002 by Cav342, on Flickr

V6 Cav 003 by Cav342, on Flickr

Engine is a nice small one:

V6 Cav 004 by Cav342, on Flickr

:D

She needs a lot of work, mainly cleaning, polishing, hoovering, replacing this and that, but possibly some quite important mechanical work too.
Bought it as I really wanted a saloon, and it would be nice to have a bigger engine I suppose. Plans are to basically restore it to as good condition as possible, get all essential work done and have it as a weekend/show car. Planning to sell my other manual, and keep the auto as a runabout.

I'm sure it's a CD, as it has rear manual windows and a manual sunroof.

Engine sounds quite smooth on startup, idles very quietly, for 160.000 miles anyway. Cam cover gasket is leaking, and various other bits need doing, but all in all I'm happy with it on the first day.

V6 Cav 005 by Cav342, on Flickr

Will update as I go. Enjoy.

Any running tips for these engines are welcome, I've never had one before obviously, I'm sure all you V6 owners know these like the back of your hand, so any tips, and general info is welcome. :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
TurboDan

Re: My C25 XE project

Post by TurboDan »

That looks in good nick. Get a lightened flywheel and F20 Gearbox fitted and it will transform the car.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Thanks. Don't think I'll be doing that, I'm not after speed or performance, just want to keep it standard for now.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Some of the V6's were quite basic cars like the Cesaro, if it is a CD everything would be electric
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Definitely not a Cesaro, it's got a black interior and 2 thin white stripes down the sides. I think Cesaros had different interiors and a Cesaro badge. Anyway I thought the CDX/Diplomat had everything electric?
Previous:

Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Good job Andrei. I'll be on hand if you need a hand!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

lowrider dave wrote:Good job Andrei. I'll be on hand if you need a hand!

Always appreciated mate. :thumb
Previous:

DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

good find fella.
have the 93 cav brochure open here and "V6" is the trim level itself, as in, not cd/gl etc as others are. just V6. ascot cloth trim and twin stripes etc. check control/traction as std, no option of leather
although later than that on the small chrome badges you can get a cdx v6 of course, but yours is'nt that late by the look of it.
good stuff.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Fair enough, that explains that then. Cheers Pete. Mine's a 94 model. So unless you're talking about the last years, 1995, or 1996.

Spec wise, it's essentially a GLS with added traction control and rear passenger courtesy lights. Also got front seat pockets too. Rear seats are the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Cavalier342 wrote:I thought the CDX/Diplomat had everything electric?

Nope, CD and Diplomat are exactly the same appart from Air conditioning and the option of leather seats.

Also, all diplomats have electric heated seats and electric sunroof as standard whereas those are optional extras on the CD. :geek:

What you have there is a "V6" special edition, very raire, very good find!
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

if thats Smoke grey with anthracite Ascot trim, it says in the book. same combo as a CD

lovely
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

has it got the original wheel trims in the boot or are you going to be getting some std. ones?

number 11 here - http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/part/1/3 ... 433/10030/

195/60 15 btw.
Ads

Post by Ads »

looks a really nice cav mate, i like the smoke grey as it polishes up very well, what plans do you have for it, Ads
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Its not a specail Edition, its the first lot of cavaliers to have the V6. engine

Just called the "V6"

Hence the badges on the side and the silver stripe along the bodywork.

They are rare. Shame you havent got the original hub caps.
C30XE
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Looks nice. Get used to the economy its dire. I had a gsi vectra for a bit, nice on motorway
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

great cav :)

plans sound good, just enjoy it :thumb
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Chip Pan Dan

Post by Chip Pan Dan »

same colour as my cav :(
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Nice one Andrei. Check the How2 section and you'll see a fair few V6 guides I posted relating to breathers and cam cover gaskets, including part numbers for the job, as well as oil cooler p/n's should you need them. Cambelts on the V6s need to be done every 40k without fail, ignore the 80k listed in the book as VX changed this following the destruction of so many engines early on. Any more than 40k and you're on borrowed time. Factor in a water pump too.

Looks like an early C25XE you've got there, nice, and as others have said it's the V6 model, not any other trim level e.g. CDX etc, just the early edition V6.

If you want any advice give me a shout, they're great engines when looked after and easy enough to tweak. First thing's first though, a thorough service and change the cam cover gaskets/clean the breathers. I'd bet the breather hoses are rammed full of crud, hence the gasket leak.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Replied to your tyre question in the other section btw 8-)
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Awesome guys, that's pretty much what I was after. Spot on.

Well looks like I've got me another rare Cavalier :D They just keep coming to me.

Plans are to restore it to as good a finish as possible, carry out all essential maintenance work, possibly get a set of alloys for it, thinking just Vauxhall ones, and go from there really. Not going to lower it/turbo rep/etc etc, just want to keep it clean and original. Going to be a weekend/show car. Save some money on fuel that way and I've declared low annual mileage on my policy.

Don't have the original hub caps, but I don't want any on this.

Couple of bad bits of rust on it, but nothing too major as far as I've seen. Will spend a good day on it tomorrow, so get ready to see some clean pics. :thumb
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

HAIRIBO wrote:Its not a specail Edition, its the first lot of cavaliers to have the V6. engine

I consider it a special edition anyway. Pretty much anything that isn't a Base, Envoy, L, LS, GL, GLS, CD, CDX or SRi is a special edition in my opinion. ;)

Cavalier342 wrote:Awesome guys, that's pretty much what I was after. Spot on.

Plans are to restore it to as good a finish as possible, carry out all essential maintenance work, possibly get a set of alloys for it, thinking just Vauxhall ones, and go from there really. Not going to lower it/turbo rep/etc etc, just want to keep it clean and original. Going to be a weekend/show car. Save some money on fuel that way and I've declared low annual mileage on my policy.

Good to hear, if you want to go for complete originality, get yourself a set of fanblades as they were the option for the v6. :thumb
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye, that's what I was thinking, fanblades. They do look nice on the right car. Either that or a set of subtle 5 spokes. Anything really.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Geeez another Cav!! Hope its kicked that sh*t box Alfa off the drive.....Lol

Will have to try and drop round but working 11 hour days all week except Friday when you probably at work anyway!

Looks alright from the pics, how much did you smash the bank account for that one?
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I think he bought that just to stop me getting my hands on another V6!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye I'm sure you'll see it fly past you soon enough :lol:

So...

Stage 1 - deep clean inside and out. Hoovered interior, got rid of bits of crap, and scrubbed up the bodywork. Took long enough. Worth it though, came up ok after the clean. Few chips and dots of rust here and there but it's been down the motorway a lot, so no surprise there.

V6 Cav 001 by Cav342, on Flickr

V6 Cav 003 by Cav342, on Flickr

V6 Cav 004 by Cav342, on Flickr

V6 Cav 005 by Cav342, on Flickr

Did the usual, full bodywork clean, ran along all the exterior seals with a brush to get rid of the mould and dirt, inside the fuel filler cap, under the trunk lid, inside the doors, along all the pillars. Next step is wax, polish and digging dirt out of other small nooks and crannies.
Previous: