James' 2.0 8v Diplomat

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
snowy

Re: James' 2.0 8v Diplomat

Post by snowy »

I have an F16CR gearbox from a cavalier Sri. I don't need it as I have an F18CR gearbox from an Astra sport.

Message me if you're interested. Thanks
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

After about 8000 miles since her last service, I thought old dippy needed a good service, and today I did just that!

Went with Good old Magnatec with some Tesco own for flush:

Here's what the oil looked like before the first change:

Here it is after the first drain and refill with the cheap oil:

And here it is with the magnatec after the second drain:

Makes quite a difference to the clarity of the oil as draining it twice will remove the last bit of old oil from the system. Always a good idea if it's been a while since the last oil change.

Plugs were still quite good considering they are nearly 4 years old. Even better after a clean up:

Other service parts, new set of Bosch wipers and a GM filter:

Old Mann filter! :lol:

GM for the win:

Rounded the job off with lithium grease on all the hinges, a good clean out of the air box and some silicone spray in the window runners:

Don't think I ever mentioned this nice little OE upgrade. I did it ages ago with parts from Pete's (DiplomaXE) departed Diplomat:

Just one small problem I noticed:

Not had much luck with anti roll bar links lately. This is the 4th one in 6 months. First on the CD manual, then the V6 , the CD manual again and now the Diplomat. I blame the cavernous potholes that have spread across Roberstbridge high street.
tonyo

Post by tonyo »

James McGrath wrote:Don't think I ever mentioned this nice little OE upgrade. I did it ages ago with parts from Pete's (DiplomaXE) departed Diplomat:
Pete's Diplomat is still with us! So many bits of it are distributed between our cars, it never really left! :)

Off the top of my head, I've got its Front Doorcards, radiator, trip computer, centre console, headlamp wiper, spare front brake discs, gearlever, and door lights. Thats just whats on the car, I've also got boxes of stuff, including 3 A/C condensors, A/C pipework, and her old boot spoiler (soon to be sprayed Satin Red).

Good work. Has inspired me to get out and work on mine on Sunday..
1992 Cav 2.0 8v Diplomat - RIP
1990 Astra 2.0 8v GTE Cabrio
2018 Jaguar XE 180 R-Sport
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

tonyo wrote:Pete's Diplomat is still with us! So many bits of it are distributed between our cars, it never really left! :)
I've mainly got small items like clips the ICV and the pedal rubbers on my car. Funnily enough I got a gear lever from him too.
I also have both door mirrors and a complete headlamp wiper system both of which I still haven't fitted yet (sorry Pete).
I think I also have the headlamps, one of which is on my Diplomat the other on the LS.
tonyo wrote:Good work. Has inspired me to get out and work on mine on Sunday..
Thanks. I think we keep on inspiring each other! :lol:
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Good service update - reminds me I must silicone my windows!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Wow, that took far too long.

Just spent four and a half hours replacing the anti roll bar drop link! :shock:
Every single part of it was totally seized.

First I tried for about an hour to remove the bolt on the bottom. This was a mission in itself as whenever you try to undo it the entire link will simply spin around. I was using my mole grips on the other side but to no avail as the plastic was just disintegrating:

My first idea was to drill the bolt off. I did that for about half an hour and got virtually nowhere until I broke a drill bit and gave up.

So next idea; hacksaw!

Took ages but I finally managed to work through the top of the dam thing only to find that the top washer was stuck to the top of the radius arm! So a bit of cursing and man handling with a screwdriver later and finally it came off only to find that the part which goes over the anti-roll bar itself was well and truly seized on too!

So, some more cursing and more hacksawing later I finally managed to cut through that too:

You should not have to resort to breaking a component down to it's constituent parts in order to remove it!

It's crazy and it's always the same with this car, every job is far harder than it should be. Like when I had to replace the O2 sensor for example; that too was seized and I had to get a whole new down pipe to replace it.
it's as if it doesn't want to be fixed.

Anyway. After eventually removing the old link it was time to fit the new one.
This I found a lot harder than when I did it on the CD manual, probably because the ground was a little uneven and caused the anti-roll bar to be lower than it was last time I did this.

After a final bout of cursing the horrid affair was at last all over:

It does make a big difference to the handling when you actually have a fully functional anti-roll bar. :D
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

4 1/2" grinder James with metal cutting disc is only quick way to get these off! By the by have you got that new one right home? I don't see the end of the bar flush with the end of the link?
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Indeed. I have a rather inadequate selection of tools at my disposal, ought to buy more really.

Yeah, I realigned it a little after I took the photo but these don't actually sit flush with the links.
Have a look at how the old one sat, it's the same on the other side too.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

James McGrath wrote:Indeed. I have a rather inadequate selection of tools at my disposal, ought to buy more really.

Yeah, I realigned it a little after I took the photo but these don't actually sit flush with the links.
Have a look at how the old one sat, it's the same on the other side too.
Can't beat a grinder especially if you own a cavalier :) I see now what you mean, your old link seemed to sit out maybe 3 or 4mm from end of bar, any ones I've had seem to be flush against the end of bar right enough. I thought I'd escaped from these older type roll bar links when I got my "newer" cavy but the dippy has them - oh joy!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

cavalier1990 wrote:Can't beat a grinder especially if you own a cavalier :) I see now what you mean, your old link seemed to sit out maybe 3 or 4mm from end of bar, any ones I've had seem to be flush against the end of bar right enough. I thought I'd escaped from these older type roll bar links when I got my "newer" cavy but the dippy has them - oh joy!

On the LS, and the two CDs it sits flush but not on the Diplomat. I think the roll bar itself is a wee bit shorter.
There are lots of little oddities like this that are different on the Diplomat, all I can think of is it was made in Germany while the others are made here in Blighty.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

James McGrath wrote:
cavalier1990 wrote:Can't beat a grinder especially if you own a cavalier :) I see now what you mean, your old link seemed to sit out maybe 3 or 4mm from end of bar, any ones I've had seem to be flush against the end of bar right enough. I thought I'd escaped from these older type roll bar links when I got my "newer" cavy but the dippy has them - oh joy!

On the LS, and the two CDs it sits flush but not on the Diplomat. I think the roll bar itself is a wee bit shorter.
There are lots of little oddities like this that are different on the Diplomat, all I can think of is it was made in Germany while the others are made here in Blighty.
I remember them being a pig to get back on as you had to literally push or rubber hammer the thing onto the bar and try twisting it in to place to line up with the hole.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

What a pain of a job!!

You really do have my sympathy.

It shows a a protrusion of 4mm +/- 1mm of the anti-roll bar through the bush for all models of Cavalier in the Haynes manual.
(Not aware of any intended differences for the Diplomat).

Looks like yours is hanging on for dear life there.

Thankfully my 1994 LSi has bolt on drop links (pendulums).

15 minutes max to do both.
I am so glad that I have a facelift model :cool
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

My v6 has the bolt on type with the ball joint but none of my other Cavs do.
I'm guessing they introduced them sometime in 1994.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:What a pain of a job!!

You really do have my sympathy.

It shows a a protrusion of 4mm +/- 1mm of the anti-roll bar through the bush for all models of Cavalier in the Haynes manual.
(Not aware of any intended differences for the Diplomat).

Looks like yours is hanging on for dear life there.

Thankfully my 1994 LSi has bolt on drop links (pendulums).

15 minutes max to do both.
I am so glad that I have a facelift model :cool
Hmm, there's an idea for a "how to" chaps! Upgrade your old roll bar to the newer one with bolt on links?
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Bad news for the Diplomat.

The engine has developed an annoying rattling noise lately.
It seems to be coming from the belt side of the engine.
I took it to be looked at and the mechanic thinks it may be the crankshaft bearings.

I'm not entirely convinced that it is that, to me it sounds more like something on the belt like an iffy water pump or alternator but it's not good either way.
I may upload a video later.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I would expect it to be duff water pump bearings.

Seems a bit pessimistic to condemn the crank bearings.

Water pump is dead easy on the 8 valve engines.
I would consider doing the timing belt and tensioner as well as they have to come off anyway.

Additional comment -
We all know that these engines are very durable and bullet proof.

I was of the opinion that when crank bearings fail, they usually cause a very deep bearing rumble especially under load.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Here's a quick vid of the noise:

Link
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I'm with Rob. Water pump, timing belt and tensioner.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Years ago I had a rattle not unlike yours after a new belt was fitted, I had the tension a bit on the slack side which was giving a clattery rattle as the camshaft was going on/off drive.
Disappeared once I had readjusted it.

Alan
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

So we're all fairly confident it's not the bearings and something on the belt then?

I thought it wasn't at first, didn't seem loud enough or regular enough to be bottom end rattle.

The cam belt and water pump was last changed when I first got the car in January 2013, about 27,000 miles ago.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Maybe the tensioner was set up to the wrong mark, or not quite on the correct mark.

So it has now stretched and become a little slack.

Although realistically I would expect the stretching / settling in to happen within weeks - not years.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Kina sounds like the belt chattering off the cover, or something rubbing on the cover. Hard to tell even with the video with these things but that's my 2 cents on it. Did it start all of a sudden? I you're big end bearings were going you'd hear a kind of diesel like clattering. Although I can't see how they would go as you look after the car. Whatever it is I'd get it checked asap in case pump spindle is floating about or something ready to disintegrate.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I've just got the Dippy back from the garage where it's had a bit of welding done for the MOT and a new cam belt water pump and tensioner.

I think the ICV needs a clean as the idle is still a bit inconsistent but apart from that the noise has gone! :D

It sounds so much better and it's made such a difference to how I feel about the car as it was just embarrassing to drive with it sounding like that.

I'll do a video for comparison tomorrow.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am glad that it sounds like we were pointing you in the right direction.

If you are concerned about the ICV, try disconnecting it's electrical connector and then firing the car up.

If it is the ICV at fault, the ECU should revert to default settings, and it should idle smoothly, albeit just a little bit quicker than normal. But still under 1000 rpm.

Obviously if the ICV was working fine, then your symptoms should still persist.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

It's not that bad. It just doesn't seem to stay at a perfectly constant RPM when idling.
It fluctuates up and down by maybe 50 RPM or less but it's enough to be audible to my ears.

I'll unplug the ICV and see what happens.