1990 Cavalier CD project

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Colorado

Re: 1990 Cavalier CD project

Post by Colorado »

think its the way to go though.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

The fuel pipe was done and the smell went away. The next job was to get it a. Mot this was done In. March 2017 but it threw up corrosion on the sill bottoms near the back and perished rubber CV boots. The body
Shop did the sills and did them without any hint of a join. The boots were done In Due course but before that the catalyst failed by breaking up. A new one followed but that failed. The next one was okay but the car seemed to have lost its eagerness. It still felt blocked. So eventually I just got a decant pipe fitted. Then the back ox went so I fitted a used sportex box which seems to work ok
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I used to get my exhaust parts from catsdirect website, they did complete exhaust systems as well as cat converters, at a reasonable price and always fitted well, they must have changed their company name or something, the first result comes up as cats2u.co.uk now, I don't know if it's the same company or not as I haven't bought any parts for years, but I would vouch for them if it's the same company. I got center silencers, tail pipes and cat converters from them.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Handy to know. Especially if they fit ok. National tyres did the work but they complained about the availability of the cat which I couldn't understand, I thought it would be quite easy to get.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I bought a cat here http://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/catalogue/
It came with bolts + birds-nest gasket, good quality & price.

Avoid anything thats euroflow, The welding is sh*t
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Lovely thanks. Reckon the one that failed may have been that.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

How cone a 1990 model got a cat?
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

It was listed as an option in the brochure.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Next job was to get the rear arch done. The winter this year turned what was a little bubble into a nice rotten arch top.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Failure of the week has been the rear electric window which self destructed. Having never really touched the rear windows before, I discover they are cable operated and the cable joins in a plastic piece which runs up and down the metal runner. It had gone brittle and broke. I removed the mechanism which required drilling out rivets, and debated the next step. Tried ebay nothing for that side. Someone was breaking a gsi but declined to answer. I tried various parts websites but nothing. My next step was can I repair the one I have. The upshot is yes after looking on ebay at vauxhall regulator repair parts. And matched it up. It was duly reassembled and I scrounged a rivet gun and stuck it back in. It works job done. Who would have thought a rear regulator was so hard to get
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Have you got any recent pics of your car as the one's at the start of this thread have disappeared ?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Always good to fix rather than replace.
Much easier on the bank balance, and also very satisfying when it is done properly.

Excellent work -
As for the scabby wheel arch.
Keep an eye on the rear end of the sills and inner arch too.
All well known rot spots.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

The rear end of the sills are ok on the CD. The poor old colorado has had to have some work done there and on the inner wheel arch bit with the rubber plug in it.
The brakes are getting worse on the poor old CD. Not really sure why though. I did think maybe I should change the flex hoses.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Colorado wrote:The rear end of the sills are ok on the CD. The poor old colorado has had to have some work done there and on the inner wheel arch bit with the rubber plug in it.
The brakes are getting worse on the poor old CD. Not really sure why though. I did think maybe I should change the flex hoses.
Likely a combination of things, change fluid is a good one for beefing up your brakes, also check for sticky calipers on the rear discs, quite common. Take pads out and move pistons in and out with a big pair of parrot grips or similar to push them back in. Idea is to work them a bit and this frees them off if they are stiff. On own car I can see the master cylinder is weeping slightly up above the pedals. Something I'll need to rectify in the fullness of time. Also steering rack is doing the same.