Markb's 94 Cav Turbo (Originally A4 RAP)

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Markb

Re: Markb's 94 Cav Turbo (The legend of A4 RAP lives on)

Post by Markb »

First drive in the Cavalier Turbo in over 3 months and boy did it put a smile on my face even if it was a bit lively in the wet ha ha. Now into storage until Apr'ish :-)

ImageIMG_9849 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9851 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9854 by m33rkb, on Flickr
1994 Polar Sea Blue Cavalier Turbo 4x4 - Total Vauxhall cover car (Jan 2015 / Issue 170)
Greig Sri

Re: Markb's 94 Cav Turbo (Originally A4 RAP)

Post by Greig Sri »

I've had to put my cavalier in to storage in the past. All ways felt bad about leaving it and not going near it for months.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

That car is still amazing. The paintwork is what does it for me!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Markb

Post by Markb »

Not done a lot to the car with it being in storage, but I am twitching to get it back now and drive it with the weather changing...

I spotted 4 Speedline's for sale the other day. So I snapped them up and now have 10 including the ones on the car lol. It might sound overkill, but they are hard to get hold of and I have spotted one of the current wheels has picked up a hair line crack and another one has already been repaired. So that is two of the newer ones being used once they have been refurbed, but the old ones are good for spares.

ImageIMG_0193 by m33rkb, on Flickr
1994 Polar Sea Blue Cavalier Turbo 4x4 - Total Vauxhall cover car (Jan 2015 / Issue 170)
Markb

Post by Markb »

Starting to collect service parts together for when I get car back. Not exciting I know

Image4B82EB81-F5BE-4738-9D49-C859F794FFE2_zpscxfvajdl by m33rkb, on Flickr
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Looks good to me (I have a very similar-looking collection of new ignition components sitting in the garage!).
Markb

Post by Markb »

Collected her from storage and drove her for the first time in 8 months on Monday and it put a smile on my face :-) Although it has now developed a fault with the fuel gauge registering 0 with F displayed on the clock / range. So guessing fuel tank sender at fault? Also the valve caps had corroded on so I had to take them off with a 10mm at the petrol station lol.

Since then I have been getting her ready for PVS on Sunday. Not coming up too bad either.

Image1BFD513D-0433-46CD-86EA-332EC5F891C1_zpsdcfnycln by m33rkb, on Flickr

Also managed to get her into the garage for the first time. So all of the effort of the garden and shed and clearing the garage was worth while. No more being left out in the bad weather :)

Image9077090A-04E7-4609-AB76-F32F972A3CBF_zpsvyzqksp8 by m33rkb, on Flickr

Image6F3D40EE-6E03-41B0-95E9-5D747F2E80EC_zpszudye4j4 by m33rkb, on Flickr

Image96C1C08F-4A1E-4A33-9143-A340A4CFB4DC_zpshwbydx5l by m33rkb, on Flickr

Attended PVS on the Performance Vauxhall Stand

ImageIMG_0911 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0909 by m33rkb, on Flickr
Markb

Post by Markb »

Been having some issues with it holding back around 2 / 2.5K so I changed the plugs and no difference, although it only started happening after I had the exhaust adjusted.

We had it up on the lift and found that it was leaking on two sections and after clamping it up twice only for the front pipe / centre pipe to come apart again I have had to have a new piece welded in along with the join put further down the pipe as there was not enough straight pipe to sit inside the sleeve and new rubbers / hangers that pull it to the centre as it was trying to hit the chassis as the flexi I had welded in at the front was allowing it to move to the wrong position on the old hangers.

ImageIMG_1049 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1051 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1048 by m33rkb, on Flickr

We have also found that the gasket on the exhaust elbow to down pipe is knackered so got the bits to do that at some stage.

ImageD1732B56-3F78-441E-B7DA-79CFC6CC56DC_zpspofwaqnc by m33rkb, on Flickr

After having the exhaust leak sorted it still wasn't running right and it also stated running like a bag of spanners when you started it from cold. It would go really lean and struggle to run unless you revved it and the revs would keep dipping on their own until it got warm. All signs pointed to the IAV as it had been stood for 9 months.

Removed the IAV and noticed that the cable shielding was broken and wires were touching. So I cleaned the IAV, which was full of junk and because of what a pig it is to get at under the inlet I have extended the pipe work and wiring and sorted the wiring on the plug and bought it to the side of the inlet for easier cleaning in the future.

ImageIMG_1065 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1076 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1067 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1073 by m33rkb, on Flickr

Fired it up from cold and it now idles and runs sweet on tick over.

It is still holding back around 2 / 2.5K on normally driving without boost if anyone has any ideas?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Such a fantastic car. I can only hope that mine lives up to the same standard (eventually!). As for holding back, airflow issues? You haven't got any split pipes lurking in the depths of your engine bay, have you?
Markb

Post by Markb »

Found out today by mistake that the aircon switch turns the engine fan on manually. It is something that I have wanted to do for ages, but never got round to it. So that is a result!
Markb

Post by Markb »

humbucker wrote:Such a fantastic car. I can only hope that mine lives up to the same standard (eventually!). As for holding back, airflow issues? You haven't got any split pipes lurking in the depths of your engine bay, have you?
Thanks buddy it is hard to keep it at a high standard with using the car too, but I try my best. I am wondering that too. Maybe an AFM issue? Or a split pipe are you thinking?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Either I guess. I was thinking that perhaps the engine is trying to pull in an increased volume of air as the rpm rises, but isn't getting what it needs, causing it to choke. Swapping the AFM would be an easy way to rule out a faulty unit, although I would have thought you'd get an EML warning (unless your EML light is null and void because of ECU upgrades) if this was the problem. A split pipe would certainly cause the symptoms you describe. If you're lucky, you might even be able to hear air escaping/being sucked in through the split somewhere under the bonnet, although I guess you'd need to open the throttle in order to hit enough rpm for the problem to present itself again. I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I'd start with airflow and boost hose pipe inspections to begin with. Check for loose hose clips too.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

If you can discount airflow complaints, then check your ignition components. Of course, you'll more than likely experience a stutter or judder if it's a knackered coilpack, leads etc.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I would agree with air leaks in the induction side.

Failing that the timing could be very slightly out... but still most likely an air leak or vacuum leak.

I still love that paintwork :cool
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Still looking fab, hope the induction problems get sorted - these things can be infuriating. Have a good time at VBOA.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

The car looked great at PVS and Billing, Mark. A credit to you.
Markb

Post by Markb »

Attended Billing and got put forward for the chair man's cup (car of the show)

ImageIMG_1268 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1270 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1269 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1139 by m33rkb, on Flickr

Attended Total Retro Cumbria

ImageIMG_1264 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1242 by m33rkb, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1265 by m33rkb, on Flickr

Attended the Fast Car Festival at Donington Park on the Performance Vauxhall stand

ImageIMG_1299 by m33rkb, on Flickr

Also found out by mistake that the aircon switch turns the engine fan on manually. It is something that I have wanted to do for ages, but never got round to it. So that is a result!
Markb

Post by Markb »

humbucker wrote:The car looked great at PVS and Billing, Mark. A credit to you.
Thanks Dan :-)
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Still looks amazing.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I saw this at billing and voted for you. Looks incredible.

Cannot believe that Vectra won overall ahead of this. Some people just have no taste.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:I saw this at billing and voted for you. Looks incredible.

Cannot believe that Vectra won overall ahead of this. Some people just have no taste.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

To be fair, the car that won is just one of two red Vectra B ST200s, and it has just undergone a massive no-expense spared restoration!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

humbucker wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be fair, the car that won is just one of two red Vectra B ST200s, and it has just undergone a massive no-expense spared restoration!
Each to their own, but it's really not for me no matter how rare it is.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:
humbucker wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Each to their own, but it's really not for me no matter how rare it is.
Fair enough, although I would have thought you would appreciate the amount of work that goes into restoring and resurrecting a car to that standard irrespective of the make or model of vehicle.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I understand the comments Dan as you work around many marques and models.

But I have to agree - a super rare Vectra-B would not have any effect on me.
But a tidy example of a Cavalier always catches my eye.

And Mark's Cavalier is the same colour as mine... I love a deeply lustrous polished Cavalier in Polar Sea Blue.

A super example of the only car worth being seen in (in my humble opinion).
:cool
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

humbucker wrote: Fair enough, although I would have thought you would appreciate the amount of work that goes into restoring and resurrecting a car to that standard irrespective of the make or model of vehicle.

Yeah I can appreciate the work, I think anyone who commits to such a project deserves to be commended.

But as Rob said, It just didn't do anything for me and there were a good number of other cars in the running that I would have chosen over the Vectra.