Cavalier Trackcar Project

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
TurboDan

Cavalier Trackcar Project

Post by TurboDan »

Yes its a cav 8-) Some will recognise it as "chippandans" cav project, well he now has a new toy to play with and so with it being less than 100 metres from my house i figured i had to buy it!

I'm not 100% on what the plan will be for it yet but heres some pics of how i got it off dan today(after a quick wash):

Its not in bad nick at all really, there are a few issues that need sorting but nothing too major (i hope!)
vauxtillidie

Re: Cavalier Trackcar Project

Post by vauxtillidie »

ffs! how is this gunna be any better on track?
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

It will be great on a track!
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

im sure it will just not convinced it will be any 'better' than the corsa would have been once sorted certainly handling wise, but i spose you may have more interest in this project being a cav and all. Any ideas for possible engines yet?
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
Chip Pan Dan

Post by Chip Pan Dan »

DO NOT TRACK IT :evil:
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

tack it!!! strip the guts out of it and kicj its head in on the track :cool
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Track it then I have competition lol
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Rallycross FTW!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Why is this in the Other Showroom?! It's a Cav! You've been away too long! Moving to WIP section haha!
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Ahh yeah didn't realise lol!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Not better than a poxy corsa? what? sorry but I root for the Cavalier.... end of.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

The corsa turned out to be quite rusty underneath where the wishbones bolt too, which isnt a very good start for a track car.
Chip Pan Dan

Post by Chip Pan Dan »

nothing some sticker flex would of sorted dan
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

As you may have noticed from the forsale threads its being stripped out for the track.

Wiring will be stripped right back like the corsa was and so will the interior. Not sure what to do with the dashboard yet as its quite heavy but then again after seeing a few track cars at the track day the other week ive decided to try and keep the heater so not quite sure.

I'll get some more pics up next week as i have a week off to do some work on it.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Finally got some done on the cav today. The main task for the day was to strip the wireing down to the bare essentials which was a fun task!

Having done this on the corsa I started I already knew how to go about it but I was abit more carefull this time not to cut any wires I needed.

Heres a couple of pics, not very exciting but you get the idea:

As you can see theres still allot of wires in there but some of that is for the engine bay too, I have took loads out of it, alarm wireing, central locking, electric windows, mirrors, interior lights, towbar electrics, radio/speaker wiring, aircon wiring, automatic transmission wiring, heated seat wireing, etc etc...

This car was literally wired for everything! It would of been easier to start with a basic loom but nevermind its done now. So tomorrow i'm going to tape it all back up and then remove the whole loom from the car (as it will only take 2 mins to do that so may aswell) and then get on with a few bits of welding that need doing.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

It is amazing really when you pull out the entire loom and see how much wiring there actually is...
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

No pictures im afraid but a small update.

I stripped most of the panels off the car today, all 4 doors both front wings and the bonnet. I have stored these away for now so i can concentrate on the shell. I'm definately haveing a rollcage in it and have been doing allot of research about making your own and im pretty confident i could do a good job with the right tubeing.

I did get a few quotes for supplying and fitting a cage and it was just over 2k! Which i dont want to pay.

Where as to make my own i reckon it will cost no more than £300 for all the materials and buying a second hand pipe bender. So i'll have to decide what to do.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

will be good to know if you can make half cages :)

ide be interested :)
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Yeah if i do make one i would easily be able to make another one.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

you could make some £££ out of this :)
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Yeah there really isnt much out there for cavs in the way of rollcages. Theres one on ebay but its £599 and really doesnt look that great for that much money.

I know there all designed properly etc etc.. but like i say ive been researching it allot and i reckon i could make one allot better with supports to the front struts and that for allot less.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

ya , there was a cav turbo with a mental cage in it to somewere on the net
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

found it

cav touring car spec spec cage iirc

pics may help dan duno in what way but they might help when building yours :lol:

TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Yeah thats the one, It was at custom cages in preston, they were the ones that give me the 2k+ quote.

I can appreciate how long it takes to make a cage but i cant spend that much on one no chance.

Them pics are good they give you the idea.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

is that 2k fitted?