Billing's £200 SRi

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Billing

Billing's £200 SRi

Post by Billing »

Picked this up a few weeks back for £200, 74k mile old 8v SRi. I've been a lurker on the forum for a while, ever since my mate bought a mk3, but money hasn't been on my side to buy my own or pass my test yet! Decided I need a car now I'm getting pretty serious about trackdays on my bikes (currently running an R1, but building a CBR400 for track use)

Couple of photos, but its as you'd expect for a used car from late 1992!

Got a set of obligatory Cesaros for it :)

Making a cold air duct from a spare headlight

Mine and my mates Cavs while I changed his cambelt
Billing

Re: Billing's £200 SRi

Post by Billing »

Picked up a gear stick from a mk4 Astra, looks better than the stock 90's jobby and my mate said it gives a shorter throw, only gave a fiver for it so even if its just visual its a bonus :)

Going to look round a Calibra in the breakers yard, anyone want anything? Had leather seats but theyre gone along with the heated seat switch, still has leather door/ quarter panels if anyone knows if theyre useful to anyone? It has an eco wreck, so can pull any parts off that too.
Ads

Post by Ads »

Billing wrote:Picked up a gear stick from a mk4 Astra, looks better than the stock 90's jobby and my mate said it gives a shorter throw, only gave a fiver for it so even if its just visual its a bonus :)

Going to look round a Calibra in the breakers yard, anyone want anything? Had leather seats but theyre gone along with the heated seat switch, still has leather door/ quarter panels if anyone knows if theyre useful to anyone? It has an eco wreck, so can pull any parts off that too.
i have a mk4 astra gear shift in my cav turbo, it is a shorter stick, but i carnt say ive noticced any difference, but saying that i can not remember the last time i drove the bloody thing, LOL, Ads
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Ads wrote:
Billing wrote:Picked up a gear stick from a mk4 Astra, looks better than the stock 90's jobby and my mate said it gives a shorter throw, only gave a fiver for it so even if its just visual its a bonus :)

i have a mk4 astra gear shift in my cav turbo, it is a shorter stick, but i carnt say ive noticced any difference, but saying that i can not remember the last time i drove the bloody thing, LOL, Ads
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kirsty

Post by kirsty »

looks good for 200 mate
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Vary nice 8v you've got there.

love the headlamp wipers, a rare optional extra on these.

Don't throw away the hubcaps, they are also quite rare and original.
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Bargain for 200 bucks
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
Billing

Post by Billing »

Cheers, nothing is getting binned, will keep hold of the hub caps, but my mate is having the actual steels for the tyres on his GLS (traded the tyres for fuel to go collect my Cesaros)

Went to the scrappy, only 3 bloody Calibras in there! Whipped some bits out and paid the nice man 30 of my hard earned for this lot :)

Then went elsewhere and paid 60 of the finest english pounds sterling for a set of very nearly new 195/60 15 tyres for the Cesaros :)
Gray16v

Post by Gray16v »

you have done well there :thumb :thumb
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Good work, but why didn't you rip out the air conditioning system to go with those switches?! :scratch
Billing

Post by Billing »

Not really too sure whether I could retrofit it tbh, the Calibra it came off was an X20XEV powered one. Can always go grab it, they keep cars for a fair while there :)

Hopefully will beging getting the wiring sorted for the volt gauge, then everything is on hold till next month, run out of money lol
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Billing wrote:Hopefully will beging getting the wiring sorted for the volt gauge, then everything is on hold till next month, run out of money lol
Should of got the 2 pin sender for the oil gauge off the cally engine as well their expensive to buy new.
Billing

Post by Billing »

I'll see if I can grab it next time then, where abouts am I looking for it? Is it shared with any other vehicles such as Vectras or Omegas?

Lastly, will a Calibra back box fit? I'm pretty handy with tools so if it needs trimming thats no problem.
5853moore

Post by 5853moore »

looks good sam! left you a message on facebook as im in desperate need of a part from that ecotec calibra!
Gray16v

Post by Gray16v »

iangsi wrote:
Billing wrote:Hopefully will beging getting the wiring sorted for the volt gauge, then everything is on hold till next month, run out of money lol
Should of got the 2 pin sender for the oil gauge off the cally engine as well their expensive to buy new.
Got a new intermotor one off ebay for £15
Gray16v

Post by Gray16v »

Billing wrote:I'll see if I can grab it next time then, where abouts am I looking for it? Is it shared with any other vehicles such as Vectras or Omegas?

Lastly, will a Calibra back box fit? I'm pretty handy with tools so if it needs trimming thats no problem.

A lot of work to make it fit, suspension is different on the Calibra so the back box is turned through 90 degrees
Billing

Post by Billing »

Wont bother then lol was just a generic stainless oval that I reckon would look ok :) will see a mate about some cash and try and grab one or both oil senders, theyre looking like £85 on ebay!
Billing

Post by Billing »

Got the Cesaros fitted, don't look half bad!

Tomorrow or sunday I'll be wiring in the volt dial in and seeing about the trip computer too :)
Billing

Post by Billing »

I have a plan, highly likely it'll change and evolve, but for now we'll think of it like engine tuning, everthing in stages :)

For now I'd like to get it fairly nice for as little as possible, preferably for less than an equivalent car would have cost to buy outright, the cheap base helps with this!

Budget for stage one is £650 not including the cost of tax or the MOT test itself, breakdown so far;

Car - £200
Wheels and tyres - £160
Trip computer, button and trimmed centre console - £15
Volts and oil pressure dials - £15
Astra mk4 gear stick - £5
Headlight shell for cold air feed - £5

Total so far £400
Billing

Post by Billing »

Will get some when it lightens up. Its currently sitting a bit high as the suspension hasnt settled back yet, I've started sorting the wiring out for the Calibra dials, but need the sender unit (looking for an aftermarket one instead of the £85 for a 'proper' one)
Billing

Post by Billing »

Here's the car with the Cesaros fitted :) going to set about fitting my trip computer and volt dials :)

Ads

Post by Ads »

Billing wrote:Here's the car with the Cesaros fitted :) going to set about fitting my trip computer and volt dials :)

i have the sender for the oil pressure gauge for sale @ £25, its the double one so you can keep the original poil light as well, Ads
Billing

Post by Billing »

Cheers, will need to be next month, only got about a tenner until next friday! My mate says he's found one for £12 posted so going to see if that comes through first :).

Was busy ripping my dash out yesterday, fitting my trip computer and prepping for the volt dial going in. I'm using the feeds for the now redundant clock, the volt dial will always be working, but the light will come on an off as it should. I'm hoping the dial doesn't draw too much power, would rather not need a jump!

Astra gear stick, cubby hole cleared, trip computer in.

It works! Theres no outside temp sender, hoping the wiring is there so I can fit one. This came from an X20 powered Calibra, will the fuel consumption be accurate?

Fitted these, no wiring behind, so might wire them up as anti theft or something (use the recirc button for cranking engine over maybe?)
Billing

Post by Billing »

Big news!

Got my rear window stuck back in, hoping it holds as I cba to do it again!

On a serious note I've bought another Cav, a '95 CDX ecotec. It will be replacing my mates GLS 8v that got smashed up. not bad for £340!

and his poor GLS, passengers were fine, no blood or broken bones, but severe whiplash.