Matts CDX - Work In Progress.

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
ilovedmymantas

Re: Matts CDX - Work In Progress.

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks for the input, I've bitten the bullet and am going with the head off option. It's unlikely I haven't bent valves given it's an interference engine so i've decided against the cost of further inspection, rebuild it is then.
Just bought an Elring gasket set and a set of Elring bolts, £60 in total.

I'm actually looking forward to doing something I can manage for a change :D . I can take my time in the heat and comfort at the back end of the living room, the missus won't be too chuffed but it's only short term and who doesn't prefer the smell of wd40 and engine degreaser to lavender or summer fields air freshener :lol:
The garage is a man down at the moment so it'll (hopefully) be removed next week when the bigger jobs are cleared.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

:thumb :thumb :thumb
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

It's been ages and i'm still off the road-so far.

What happened? Well the garage owner (who works on my car) sadly had a close family bereavement, understandably causing a backlog.
In the meantime I bought a full head gasket set and bolts and a gallon of gunk, preparing for the worst but looking forward to cleaning the cam followers and getting rid of the tickover vibration.

Everything's up in the air now.
I phoned today to see if there was any progress, there was. The timing belt had been fitted and the engine appeared to be running ok. After that the full kit and water pump were fitted. The theory is I might have got away with it because the engine was only idling.
It's booked in for mot tomorrow so we'll see, I guess emissions will be the true test.

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Fingers crossed for you fella -
It is sounding promising.
:thumb
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Well that little bit of hope didn't last very long.

The car failed it's mot.
Not on the engine (i assume the emissions were tested) but for chassis rust, four or five areas including two inner sill. There's at least another five hundred quid, i hope i get more than six days driving with the latest instalment :roll:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Oh bugger!!
It is hard to tell how bad or how big the affected areas are.
I am assuming the suspention towers are all rusted, and rear inner sills.

Not too big a job if they patch it. But a bit of a sharp intake of air between the front teeth for the price of the work if done properly. A lot of compound angles and curves.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Gutted for you. After opening up my van I'm always terrified at the mention of rot. Done properly it can be opening up a real can of worms. I've gone down the patching route in the past, only tends to last a year or 2 before it comes back with avangence. Let's hope at £500 they are doing properly, if so happy days
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Hope the repairs go well, and you get many years from it :) Nice news on the engine though.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I finally got a pass and should be picking the car up tomorrow. Here's the failure list :o

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Nearside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected inner wing (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected inner wing (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected chassis leg at floor and inner wing (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected outer sill (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected outer sill (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

How did that happen? I've done less than 1500 miles in the year, admittedly due to breakdowns :(

I say should be picking it up tomorrow but that's going to depend on me finding my v5c.
I had to sorn it but when I tried to re tax it the reminder wasn't recognised. It should have been valid until the end of march but i think this being a leap year has messed things up :scratch

it'll still be nice to get it back even if the huge financial outlay means i can't address the other issues (mainly paintwork) for now.

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Unfortunately, Cavaliers do not like being stood for long periods.
They simply rot where they stand, especially during cold, damp winter months.
They need the air-flow of a good commuter run, or a long distance jaunt to blow away any moisture, and the warmth of the engine and cabin heater to do the rest.

It is four years this weekend since I SORNed mine.
(A week before the first UK Covid lockdown started in March 2020. - Remember that milarkey!!)
I dread to think how bad the car is underneath by now.

--------------

The main thing now is to ensure that any repairs are protected from the elements and corrosion, otherwise you'll be back here again in a couple of years.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Good news on the pass, glad to hear its on the road for another year. But yes, echoing Rob's sentiments - they need to be driven.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I've never seen that the control of a vehicle could be effected by corrosion on an mot sheet before, but am pleased you've got it sorted.
I totally agree with the above though, if the car is stood then corrosion sets in fast. At the moment I can't justify the cost of taxing my Cavalier. The best that ive been able to do is to park it on gravel in the hope that the rain will soak away, but the corrosion is setting in fast in places. Not terminal yet but I will soon have to decide wether I return mine to the road or sell it on. Hopefully you'll be able to use yours regularly now and keep any further problems at bay. Its nice to see though that people are investing time and money into keeping these old girls on the road rather than just weighing them in.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am assuming that the corrosion was in the upper strut mount locations.
If so, either the mounting hole could have eroded, or the surrounding metal could be cracked or damaged.

If so, there is small potential for the strut top mounting to move around a bit, causing the vehicle to feel a bit wolly.
Like an excessively worn tracking joint or bush would.

That would be my interpretation
I could be speaking from my backside though.

Either way, it still falls into the -
"Excessive corrosion within 30cm of a prescribed load bearing area - suspension".