Matts CDX - Work In Progress.

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Matts CDX - Work In Progress.

Post by Robsey »

Strange that you had to get the rubber top and bottom spring dampers from Germany.

I ordered mine from Lookers Vauxhall in Ellesmere Port in 2016.

Ordered on the Tuesday... arrived on the Friday.

Engine mounts - I replaced the rear gearbox mount in about 2011... can't remember why now, probably when I swapped engines.
Or because my gear lever was kicking back and forth when accelerating / taking up drive.
The other two are originals from the factory.

I am surprised to see red bushes, unless they are a variation on polybushes
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I didn't notice that (protanopia) the bushes are actually black.
I think the red background of the packet has reflected on the clear plastic
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I looked closer...
The bushes are indeed black,
But the majority of the packet is printed in red.
(Thats my excuse - lol).

Protanopia is a new word for me...

I have used the phrase "hemianopia" for many years.
A common condition following a stroke.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hi, hope you're all safe down the line from people taking liberties with lockdown rules...…

…..this is not so much of a progress post, more of a regress one and not the forum return I expected :|

Wednesday afternoon I took my partner on a local trip to collect an item.
She was going stir crazy so a short run to where we used to stay 20 years ago. Nostalgia time :)
So many changes :cry

About a mile from home, passing through another place we hadn't seen for ages, I saw a potential hazard ahead.
Two oblivious adults with a couple of young kids on the pavement. Suddenly the wee boy ran from his mum towards the road.
I stopped quickly.
Unfortunately the car behind me didn't :x .

I'm glad I upgraded the brakes, even though it's going to cost me again :roll:

https://vimeo.com/430508853

It was a solid bump, tow ball against metal not just plastic to plastic.

I'm not sure how bad it is yet, It wasn't until I emptied the boot I discovered the tailgate was a bit off. The lock was catching and not fully locking .

I'll find out from the garage that replaced my sills & arches. They've had a cursory look and the obvious thing was the bumper carrier was well bent.
I dropped it off for repair on Friday

Luck was on my side a bit this time.
Three weeks ago I bought a pair of tail lights because I needed the left one and they were only £20 with free post. Bargain!
I had seen a red pre-facelift bumper on ebay & gumtree a few weeks ago, only 15 miles away, for 20 quid. I checked gumtree to get his number and discovered It was down to £15!

Car's back :D

I had it in my head that the plan was to use the carrier from it on my bumper.
It didn't work out like that though. My 'new' bumper was swapped over and my black part exchanged for the red.

There was a surprise when I opened the tailgate, where did that gap come from? :shock:

I now know there's a subtle difference between them but I'm puzzled. Surely pre-facelift hatches don't have gaps that you can see the ground through?

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I suspect the gap is where your rear valance has been moved forward a little by the shunt.

But from memory, I think my hatch has a little gap too.
Not much, but still a gap.

Matt you old romantic, :love
A trip back to your early "courting haunts".
Shame it was spoilt by the bump.

I am sure the car behind suffered a lot more than you.
A localised blow with a tow-ball can be very harmful to a front bumper.
And probably saved a lot more damage to your car.

Hopefully nobody was harmed, which is what really matters.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Here is mine, if it eases your worries.

ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Apologies for my tardiness. I'm in limbo until I hear back from the insurance so I've just been saving in drafts.

You're right about the valance, seeing your pics shows how panned-in mine is.
It looks ok at the back until the hatch is opened but I don't think I can live with that gap, It's just not right :roll:

By yet another amazing stroke of luck and timing GLC advertised the exact part I was after.
Wow! What are the chances?
He even went out of his way to arrange delivery. Thanks again Michael :thumb
-----------------------------------------------------------

Over a week ago I got a call from the mechanic for my insurance company who was assessing the damage to decide if it was a write-off or not.
He was puzzled because he couldn't see the damage. The photos that he had showed the car after the temporary repair :roll:
These had been the follow-up pics requested by insurance ( 6 pics, one each front and rear, two of each side from different angles )
Then It dawned on me...
The original damage photos and corresponding dashcam video were sent, as requested, to a third party secure site.

It was good to speak to someone who knows what they're talking about rather than an assessor, they're detached from the real world.
He's looking into the value, so that'll be interesting.
--------------------------------------

Never one to pass-up a bargain, I got this c/l unit for the price of a used one :)
The hidden label says manufactured 2002. sellers pic

Although I think It's the wiring that's causing me to lock/unlock until the right combinations of pins activate , It can't do any harm having it just in case it's not.

I filled up with super today - at the garage, not the pub! I say filled up, the gauge shows full but I stopped at 70 quid.
It took me a bit by surprise till I realised I usually filled at the quarter tank mark.
The last tankful was regular and nearly done, not bad considering I filled it first week of lockdown :)

Anyway, I know it's a bit of fun but after filling up I felt compelled :scratch to drive the nine miles required for this

That trip-meter. ten miles :wall

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hopefully, if the damage is minimal to the "assessor" then hopefully the car will not get written off.

If your locks are playing up, try locking the passenger door by the key.

If my passenger door pin is up, the drivers lock cycles up and down, over and over until either the unit times out, or I lock the passenger door via the key.
Usually it times out first.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

My passenger lock has always been really stiff so I don't use it, not a problem as I always deadlock.
The pins just work randomly, driver's always unlocks but it's a lucky dip for the others :lol:
Robsey wrote:Hopefully, if the damage is minimal to the "assessor" then hopefully the car will not get written off
The mechanic from insurance, he says yes :D

I nervously returned his call, I'm glad I did. What a great guy!
My opinion of insurance companies has rocketed in this case thanks to him :thumb

The car's been valued at between four and six thousand :o

I'll get money to repair the car and it won't be written off this time, and as I'm not at fault it won't affect my premiums :D

-Each time your car gets "written off" it get devalued by 20% of book price. I often wondered how it worked, now I know.

So hopefully on with the progress list...

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

What excellent news. :cheers :cheers

It lives on... :thumb

An insurance engineer with sense.
Praise be........... 8-)
It's a miracle.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I can barely believe it myself!

I hope I'm not counting my chickens.
the company itself hasn't emailed me about it yet so a bit tense until it's confirmed in writing....

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Hi I don't want to pee on your bonfire but your premiums even though not your fault will increase. Insurance companies argue that because you've been involved in an accident even though it's not your fault statistically you are more likely to have an accident, a load of crap, just an excuse on their part to extract more money.
In November 2016 my Astra Van got hit by a boy racer, the insurance company had a video of the whole thing, an independent witness, plus the police prosecuted him resulting in a ban. I didn't even go through my insurance just his as he admitted full liability, yet on renewal my premium trippled with some companies declining to even cover me. I was 36 at the time with 9+years no claims so hardly a bad risk.
In January 2019 my wife ( driving as a named driver on my policy) got hit, again the other driver admitted full liability, and we had a petrol station full of independent witness es, result yet again a massive hike in my premium.
Hence the reason I will always have a low opinion of insurance companies. I've tried ringing round many other companies so its not just a case of having a bad provider.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

The car's been valued at between four and six thousand :o

I'll get money to repair the car and it won't be written off this time, and as I'm not at fault it won't affect my premiums :D

-Each time your car gets "written off" it get devalued by 20% of book price. I often wondered how it worked, now I know.

So hopefully on with the progress list...

WOW I'll have to get round to value my cars !
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

I've always thought this was crazy, but obviously insurance using it as an excuse to rake in more money. Happened to my folks, a guy came out a side street in a transit and totalled their wee hyundai, he even admitted he was looking at his phone while driving, and failed to stop at a junction. Yet their premium jumped up and took about 5 Years to come back down. Is it any wonder people don't pay insurance.

Surely the government should step in and regulate this, or the insurance ombudsman or whover they are nowadays, it's basically discrimination really for something that is not your fault.
3cav3 wrote:Hi I don't want to pee on your bonfire but your premiums even though not your fault will increase. Insurance companies argue that because you've been involved in an accident even though it's not your fault statistically you are more likely to have an accident, a load of crap, just an excuse on their part to extract more money.
In November 2016 my Astra Van got hit by a boy racer, the insurance company had a video of the whole thing, an independent witness, plus the police prosecuted him resulting in a ban. I didn't even go through my insurance just his as he admitted full liability, yet on renewal my premium trippled with some companies declining to even cover me. I was 36 at the time with 9+years no claims so hardly a bad risk.
In January 2019 my wife ( driving as a named driver on my policy) got hit, again the other driver admitted full liability, and we had a petrol station full of independent witness es, result yet again a massive hike in my premium.
Hence the reason I will always have a low opinion of insurance companies. I've tried ringing round many other companies so its not just a case of having a bad provider.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

At last, an update!

It's taken this long to get word back from the insurance and I've had some compensation (didn't ask for it) added to the settled claim due to the delay. Payment received :D

I'm normally no big fan of insurance outcomes, they did write this car off as a no fault for a bent door last time no fault does not mean 50 - 50 :x
My interpretation of no fault is There's no-one to claim back from so you're paying. we've de-valued your car by 20% to keep your premiums low.

----------------------------

Has anyone gone to the ombudsman? Your cases seem strong.

---------------------------

At first I was made an offer, in full and final payment. - Of what exactly :scratch

I asked some questions about ncd, renewal etc. so I had something in writing. Here's my findings.

- Ncd not affected due to having other drivers details and dashcam footage (with gps & g-sensor data). I'd highly recommend a decent dashcam.

- I can't have a hired car during repairs because I've settled cash in lieu, but I was given a corporate code for a discount if I wanted to hire during repairs. Might not be worth it considering I'm only out locally twice a week, a taxi will probably be a cheaper option. appreciated nonetheless.

- I can claim my £60 excess back :)

Renewal - It's been explained to me that my renewal won't be affected as long as the other parties insurers have agreed to a settlement before the renewal is due, in my case, march. I've been assured this shouldn't be a problem. - all in black and white so fingers crossed.

I must admit I am expecting my insurance to go up because of the valuation given though.

Until then please keep away from my bonfire, I'm enjoying the glow and I've barely got enough logs to keep me going till march :lol:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

"bonfire"...
Too late for that, the shops are preparing for Christmas - sleighs, snow and Santa.
:santa
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:"bonfire"...
Too late for that, the shops are preparing for Christmas - sleighs, snow and Santa.
:santa
It's never too late for a bonfire :lol:

------------------

Update time :roll:

I should have probably posted this here for continuity viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16953
The car went in for the spring seat repairs last Thursday.
Friday I get a phone call, there's a problem, a bit of rust on the o/s/r inner wheel arch.

Now I know why that side felt like a castor over speed bumps.

How the hell did that happen :o

About three years ago the n/s/r top came up on the mot and was repaired. This is it now

It seems a weird place to have so much rust. I'd expect it more on the nearside where the puddles were :scratch

Right now?
I've no idea when I can drive again. I'm waiting on a repair panel ordered in the uk that may take two weeks to arrive because it's not held by them, why don't they tell you this before you pay :x
Basically, they order it from klokkerholm and then send it to me :roll:

It's the waiting game for now...

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

It's odd, as much rust as I've fixed on my cavy I've never seen that area as bad as that, but seen quite a few reports of it on here and elsewhere. At least you got a repair section available, yeah klokkerholm orders can be a bit slow, and sometimes they won't order from them until they get a bulk order.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is not really that weird a place to get rust.
I had it there on my mk2.

Essentially you have a factory drilled hole in the chassis in direct contact with dirt and water being thrown up by the tyre.

As for repair panels...
Yes it is common practice to advertise parts, and then order from Klokkerholm in Holland or Denmark.

I had this with my rear chassis rails.
More annoying is when Klokkerholm "forget" to put one panel on the 'once a month' boat with the other panel - which happened to me creating a further 4 week delay.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Yeah, really common place for rust, also where the 3 lips meet for the boot floor, inner wing and outer arch panels.
In reality they should have been done completely differently but ease of assembly won over common sense I guess.

It'll fix, sorry to hear about the bump and hope no one was injured.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

repaired quite a few of those!
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

It's the speed it happened that took me by surprise.
The rear arches and sills were replaced in December and the car was mot'd January, nothing seemed wrong then :o
I've been told the panel should be in the uk next week. Fingers crossed.

No long term injuries thankfully, I've already got one of them.

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

the trouble is it goes undetected for years, just like the chassis rails!!!!!!
where the spring sits can totally disappear!

Just try to keep on top of it.
Your cavalier is a saloon model, it should have about a 12mm rear bumper to body gap.
hopefully the mounts were rusty on the bumper allowing the bumper brackets to bend before the rear valance
The rear panels bend very easy, look at the bumper to floor strengtheners in the boot.
Usually shows how much things have moved.

Good Luck
Troy
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

btcctroy wrote:the trouble is it goes undetected for years, just like the chassis rails!!!!!!
where the spring sits can totally disappear!
The second biggest thing I hate is not doing the work myself anymore, I hope I would have noticed something like this when I was more able, now I feel more detached :(
Obviously my biggest peeve is having to pay someone to do the work :lol:
btcctroy wrote:Just try to keep on top of it.
Your cavalier is a saloon model, it should have about a 12mm rear bumper to body gap.
hopefully the mounts were rusty on the bumper allowing the bumper brackets to bend before the rear valance
The rear panels bend very easy, look at the bumper to floor strengtheners in the boot.
Usually shows how much things have moved.

Good Luck
Troy
Thanks, the car needs it :)
The bumper bar and valance were damaged, the gap is huge. The bumper bit's been replaced and I've got a new valance to go on so not all bad despite the expense and time not being able to drive.

The other car climbed the tow ball and didn't show any damage, I must have at least bent his arb. To add insult, it was a vauxhall :|

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

On the plus side, I was an o/s/r light cluster short in the spares department so I did a search and got a bargain!

Boxed old stock one from a smaller seller of random items, buy it now for £12 plus £4.10 postage! Who wouldn't :D

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt