MY CAV 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
dycie

Re: MY CAV TURBO 4x4

Post by dycie »

James McGrath wrote:Sweet. Nothing but the best in this build. :thumb
And that's why I'm so poor :wall
She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
dycie

Re: MY CAV 4x4

Post by dycie »

Right been away for quite some time, so time to update this build. so as previously said the turbo was back and ready for installation and i was just waiting to gather all components of the meccano set.

the gearbox came back from Competition transmissions services to the tune of a shot peened and superfinished gear set and a quaife ATB diff, along with all new seals and springs etc. This work also gained oil cooler unions to the case for future tuning if required.

Along with the gearbox the transfer box went along too for some magic, this was already a cav 16 box with uprated viscous coupling but i also fitted the maxxtuning reinforcing back plate which reduces distortion of the casing and lift during full chat. This also had the cooler unions welded onto the casing for future plans if required.

I aquired one of Gary crazycages manifolds too.

Strapped it all back together

All back together along with a Mtech short shift kit which took quite alot of fettling to say the least.

Got the hid fitted and new electric oil pressure sensor fitted and new boost gauge too along with rear led number plate light

Right just about it for now, car is getting mapped on monday fingers crossed and hopefully the power figure of 500 will be mine!...........or not!
She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

You deserve 500 after all that work! Good attention to detail love all those nice gears.
Hope it all works out with no dramas!

Alan
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Looking good as usual.
dycie

Post by dycie »

Hello again everyone who is still following this build, been off the reservation for some time now what with house purchase, work yadda yadda not too mention a certain 3rd party hosting site ruining all the fun by trying to charge people to post pics on build threads! nevertheless, found a way to carry on so thought it would be well overdue that i spoke about whats been happening.

sort of left off just before PVS was happening and with work keeping me overseas i opted to still get the car to the show via a good friend, not that it was hard to convince someone to drive my cav to a show, form an orderly queue please!

Spent alot of time making her pretty ready for the 25th anniversary of the cavalier turbo stand at PVS and between her and the others on show it was a great site to see so many exceptional turbos together.

Ill be there next year, not just the damn car!

so no sooner the show had finished the car was back in its normal state, preparing to be torn apart again in the never ending quest for power! 500 or die!!!!! so a new inter cooler was sourced with larger inlet/outlet to compliment the boost pipes, along with some new deca 875 injectors and a replacement turbo elbow to give better flow. We also decided that building a heat-shield will assist in keeping the intake temps down also, few cuts here and there and the beginning of a cold air feed and heat-shield were under way.

cardboard is well known for its properties in heat-soak barriers :lol:

make way for the cold air!!!

got myself what was advertised as a 3" turbo elbow then found out it wasnt true 3!!!!

was nice to get driving around west scotland with her running again.

Not only was the elbow the incorect diameter but also developed a nice blow on the gasket too :wall

Then the handbrake stopped working as the bracket snapped off underneath so was time to strip out the car in prep for welding as i didnt fancy a fire in my cav.

although it was nice to see what good condition it still was under there.

with the obligatory full wash inside and out when refitting the interior.

so show season was over again for another year, for me at least so that could only mean one thing, time to modify! never too keen on the ridge lines on the morette headlamps managed to get a friend to make a set of smooth ones and upgraded the lenses in the process too.

then purchased a proper turbo technics 3" elbow.

wanting to keep the cobra 3" flange i modified the turbo elbow to fit flush against it, welding up the holes and fitting studs to line up with the down-pipe receiving holes.

along with this elbow thought it only right to replace the studs and went for some nice titanium ones to keep up with the never ending quest for better than original parts.

Then in true cavalier form i found another blow on the manifold this time so it was time to take the manifold off.

to only find that there was 3 blows on the car! wont be letting a certain garage change the gasket again thats for sure! cheap rubbish!

so a productive time at home was had with the car, new wheels and interior was sourced and yes the tombstone front seats are going to make way for a new interior for next year.

in addition to the hi spec monsters up front on the cav, i managed to source a set of billet 4 rears 325mm and had bells and brackets machined to fit the cav, these will be going on over winter.

so busy winter ahead with a few nice tricks to keep the car always changing, turbo is going back to turbo dynamics to have a TD06 SLR turbine wheel fitted to increase the size of the wheel from 56/49mm to 61/54mm to give that little more grunt, along with some changes to the exterior too, keep looking here for updates.

see yall!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Superb (as always)!
dycie

Post by dycie »

Good old Adam Dewis took the inlet back for me and fixed a broken bracket then strengthened the fuel rain off the runners.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

All looking very nice.

As a point of consideration, are you planning to brace some of the panel joints.

I have heard previously of one or two cavaliers developing cracks due to the welded body not being "heavy duty" enough to cope with such power in the engine bay.

I run a bog standard 113bhp set up so no chance of issues, but 500bhp is a lot of grunt to put through a shell never intended / designed to exceed about 200bhp.

On a positive note - looking very smart.
I agree also with the moulding lines on the Morrettes - far nicer with the smooth profile.
dycie

Post by dycie »

So far the car has shown no signs of any distortion to panels or welds but that’s due to the condition of the car being so good for its age, the turbo shell is quite strong in comparison to other models and with the car not being tracked etc the bracing it has so far copes well for fast road use. In time it may need braced only time will tell.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Stunning as always, I admire your work & dedication to the cavalier cause. :thumb
dycie

Post by dycie »

iangsi wrote:Stunning as always, I admire your work & dedication to the cavalier cause. :thumb
It’s the worst addiction I’ve ever very suffered from, yet yields the best rewards from having such empty pockets.

Cheers! :thumb
dycie

Post by dycie »

So bye bye trusty TD05 from Turbo Dynamics, you served me well. as always i cant sit long for any length of time with the cav and now this turbo is leaving its time to fit something more substantial (gulps in hope) looking forward to a few changes and hopefully a more powerful cav yet again for next. Zidan Motorsport has taken the reigns to build up the cav in prep for the forthcoming season. new turbo from Ross Motorsport.

Owen development GBT 3076 with stainless Tial housing.

Along with a new Forge external watercooled piston wastegate.

dycie

Post by dycie »

So show season nearly here, so thats my usual christ the cars still in bits! luckily sourced a nice nortec so with some modding to suit the new GBT it should be all plumbed in quite soon and ready for mapping.

iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Stunning as always :thumb Also I'm liking the new smoothed lights much better, always be a bugbear of mine when people fit the morretes & not the pre facelift grill .
dycie

Post by dycie »

Flange cut off the manifold and v band welded on, also dropped the angle of the wastegate so as not to end up with boost creep (manifold was originally set up for a car with steering pump in the way) due to size of turbo and maximise the airflow the set up has now been span around 180 to the original compressor side being the drivers wing. just awaiting a few more parts arriving in the post then can get this set up in the car and turn the key!

its a good job PVS is still months away!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Some amount of work and effort into that, now that is a mod/resto job if ever I seen one! Great pics too.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Lovely looking welds on those pipes - shame to close the bonnet!

Alan
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Great stuff ... as ever!
dycie

Post by dycie »

Mk3alan wrote:Lovely looking welds on those pipes - shame to close the bonnet!

Alan
what do you mean shame to close to the bonnet........just take it off haha!
dycie

Post by dycie »

cavalier1990 wrote:Some amount of work and effort into that, now that is a mod/resto job if ever I seen one! Great pics too.

cheers pal! alot of friends worked hard to get this to where it is now.
dycie

Post by dycie »

So damn close now to turning the key on this!

due to restrictions because of the size of turbo and the external wastegate. the intake has been swapped around back to stock location.....still cant get used to it :scratch
dycie

Post by dycie »

New exhaust layout welded up ready for test fit.

That will do nicely!

One complete engine bay again!

Then it was off to PVS after a long drive down from Oban to pick car up, then off to Sweden to visit family before returning the night before the show to somehow get it cleaned and ready!!!

After seeing a split inner CV boot it was unfortunate to leave the show early for the 12 hr drive back home to scotland.
dycie

Post by dycie »

Not dead yet Image
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Welcome back after such a long break.
Still looking perfect.

Looking forward to hearing of any more updates from the past 3 1/2 years. :D
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Just curious, how did the quaife affect the 4x4 grip?
Always had my doubts that it was a good idea as it will reduce the power to the rear when it might need it. And will allow both front wheels to spin, compared to an open diff where one wheel will spin, and the other should grip as the power goes to the rear.
David