MY CAV 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
ilovedmymantas

Re: MY CAV 4x4

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I'm in awe! Fantastic attention to detail.
I like the idea of a skid pan although I don't think it would last long here, speed bumps all over the place :wall
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

dycie wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:41 pm Image
How much of a problem is the case? I thought most failed through the gear teeth inside going bald
David
dycie

Post by dycie »

vexorg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:35 am
dycie wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:41 pm Image
How much of a problem is the case? I thought most failed through the gear teeth inside going bald
The cases flex during acceleration causing the gears inside to lift and this is when the damage occurs, these cages stop the standard weak cases from distorting and help maintain proper contact between the gears. They have been pushed to 800 bhp and 900NM without failing.
She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Where do you get these support cages?
David
dycie

Post by dycie »

ilovedmymantas wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:24 am I'm in awe! Fantastic attention to detail.
I like the idea of a skid pan although I don't think it would last long here, speed bumps all over the place :wall
We will see how destroyed mine is after a month :D :D :D
She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
dycie

Post by dycie »

cavalier1990 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:22 pm Some machine and some amount of work going into get it looking like that. Makes me wonder with my 90 or so BHP !!

I like the little fibre glass channels you made in the bulkhead corner to stop the water sitting in it, great idea that one.
Yeah seen so many good cars eaten up by rust there so thought it was time to assist the car in shedding any water that gathers.
dycie

Post by dycie »

vexorg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:01 pm Where do you get these support cages?
We designed these ones to be stronger than the ones available over in Europe, plus making them here in the UK means no shipping and inport taxyou can purchase them from Lochaber stainless.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Nothing worse than having to repair someone elses bodges is there? :( Least it's done now, and it's looking smart :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
dycie

Post by dycie »

Envoy CDX wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:08 am Nothing worse than having to repair someone elses bodges is there? :( Least it's done now, and it's looking smart :)
At least as the years have passed i know i have done it all and know whats needing done without nasty surprises lurking anywhere. Roll on the summer till i get home and finish it!.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

That is the important bit!
Aiming to have it on the road this year?
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

dycie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:50 pm We designed these ones to be stronger than the ones available over in Europe, plus making them here in the UK means no shipping and inport taxyou can purchase them from Lochaber stainless.
How much were they, pm if you dont want to post it up.
David
dycie

Post by dycie »

Envoy CDX wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:07 pm That is the important bit!
Home in 2 weeks and its going straight in for exhaust downpipe, ive just got to measure up the new brake lines and its good to go really, 4 wheel alignment and few snags, unfortunately only back for 3 weeks and away again for another 6 weeks. :wall :wall
dycie

Post by dycie »

vexorg wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:51 pm
dycie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:50 pm We designed these ones to be stronger than the ones available over in Europe, plus making them here in the UK means no shipping and inport taxyou can purchase them from Lochaber stainless.
How much were they, pm if you dont want to post it up.
They are sold by Lochaber Stainless and retail for £480 delivered in UK inc VAT.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

dycie wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:42 pm
Home in 2 weeks and its going straight in for exhaust downpipe, ive just got to measure up the new brake lines and its good to go really, 4 wheel alignment and few snags, unfortunately only back for 3 weeks and away again for another 6 weeks. :wall :wall
Hope you get plenty of miles in during that time.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
dycie

Post by dycie »

Envoy CDX wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:22 pm
dycie wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:42 pm
Hope you get plenty of miles in during that time.
I can only hope, I bet the missus and kids have other ideas 😂