MY CAV 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
dycie

Re: MY CAV 4x4

Post by dycie »

vexorg wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:43 am Just curious, how did the quaife affect the 4x4 grip?
Always had my doubts that it was a good idea as it will reduce the power to the rear when it might need it. And will allow both front wheels to spin, compared to an open diff where one wheel will spin, and the other should grip as the power goes to the rear.
I run a locked transfer box so the Quaife being an ATB diff actually improves drive-ability, as we all know the cavaliers are still predominantly FWD with the viscous governing what power goes to the rear, on a standard car only 90NM of this power goes rear maximum at any point, my car was running a 180NM viscous, this new build I have done has now got a 300NM viscous, so it should be even more fun to hold onto with big power. ive never had any issues cornering and/or losing traction at any point, hope that helps.
She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
dycie

Post by dycie »

Robsey wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:36 am Welcome back after such a long break.
Still looking perfect.

Looking forward to hearing of any more updates from the past 3 1/2 years. :D
Cheers!

Yeah been a while and I don’t use social media so just been plugging away in the background, I’m going to update this thread now but it’s going to be long winded as such a lot been done since back then.

Keep eyes peeled.
She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
dycie

Post by dycie »

christ where do i even start :D as Robsey said its been three and a half years! after PVS and the long drive home with my bust CV boot the continuing quest for more ponies regained momentum as usual.

started with fitting a MAC 3 port boost control solenoid.

then a trip back down to see Daz at DWP for a mapping session with the newly fitted Owen Developments turbo.

where i managed to make my power run at the still haunting figure of.............
dycie

Post by dycie »

Managed to source some new rear brakes from Davides pal down in Newcastle and after some machining of the bells etc got them fitted and have a nice set of rear stoppers at 325mm.

After enjoying it over the summer i decided to do some winter deep cleaning and exploration on the car, took the struts off stripped back and applied UPOL to them plus subframe.

The Bolas were treated to some black powder coating and then some diamond cut faces.

UPOL coated goodies.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Wrapped the exhaust manifold and also the external screamer to reduce bay temps a tad, and added a nice 4" carbon intake elbow just for shits and gigs.

And enjoyed the car again for a period of time.

It was then coming up to the Scottish Performance Show and after an email and late entry the car was accepted into the main arena so it was time to fire up the machine polisher and give this old girl a good scrub.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Scottish Performance Show day arrived!

Show was great and to my surprise the old girl was greatly welcomed by many folk there, loads of questions and time chatting away to people about their old cavaliers owned in the past.

And happily the car took third prize overall best car.

Nice to see a bit of recognition for the work carried out and still find a following for these old bangers.
dycie

Post by dycie »

Then came the end of the summer that year, last few enjoyable drives out around the B roads of the west coast in scotland.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Another winter approached so i decided it was time to get some more work done to the car, purchased a Clarke tent to give me some shelter from the elements and the battle commenced.

Things were looking a bit tired underneath so it was time for some TLC.

ok things were looking honking under there to be fair haha

dycie

Post by dycie »

Acid dipping and scrubbing and rubbing and sanding galore then happened for what seemed like an eternity!

Add some new replacement bushes courtesy of Strongflex.

And some fresh powder coat.

Scrubbed diff and some fresh POR paint on there to protect against the elements along with an uprated mount for it.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Sent the throttle body away to Gavin at Howe Fast Performance to have it widened to 68mm flowed and an exterior polished finish.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Decided the tired old fuel pump support bracket could do with some love, so brought in the help from Lochaber stainless and his CNC mill to knock it out the park.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Once everything was painted or coated etc it was time to rebuild the rear subframe and components.

dycie

Post by dycie »

I had now at this point started to gain an unhealthy interest in machine polishing metals, using abrasives and polishing wheels and the help from Lochaber Stainless a transformation started to happen to the bay.

The intercooler also showed up a restrictive point being the wall thickness which made the inlets rather small.

So this was rectified and true 70mm hard pipes were welded onto the cooler after boring out the walls.

dycie

Post by dycie »

I found the cavalier to look good on 18's but not feel as good so sold the Bolas and found my favourite cavalier wheel, the Azev A, unfortunately i found it in ET30 which as you know is not a desirable offset for the car at all, and alot of work then surfaced to make these fit and prove the "you cant" crowd wrong. A bit of arch rolling, along with 10mm spacers made for the caliper and also the bells to push the brakes back in towards the car to give clearance from caliper to inner face of the wheel, yes alot of work :wall

did i mention it was alot of work just for a set of wheels ha.
dycie

Post by dycie »

But it was worth it personally as i do love these wheels on the cavalier, once powder coated in whatever colour i think is right ill be happy.

dycie

Post by dycie »

The car was rebuilt and i was ready to go and get the alignment sorted at last! excited to get back on the road was an understatement, so got it booked in for the earliest possible slot.

erm..... yes that is the car smoking like a crack addict under a bypass! after all that love the decided that on the way down to the garage it would would crumble and smoke belched from the zorst and the engine sounded like was running on 3 cylinders, really......... i mean what is it with cavs.......

so home and strip to see what happened.
dycie

Post by dycie »

Cylinder number 3 had decided it was going to start a side line in making treacle toffee in the bore.

And so the stripdown continued checking leak down test showed that cylinder three had let go and a small scratch inside the bore confirmed this, so out you go engine for a rebuild and i figured whist i had the chance to clean up the bay somewhat too, i mean why wouldn't you if you were already at this point, its only a quick clean isnt it....

dycie

Post by dycie »

And so began the strip of the engine to inspect further and to see what actually let go.

This stuff was great to clean away the build up to see the condition of the head.

Then i basically gave up on anything automotive related and wondered off into the wilderness to fish for my dinner and never to return, the end.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Upon my return many years later, i started to see grubby bits on the car i didnt like.

Along with carbon build up everywhere.

And lost the plot and went polishing crazy!

dycie

Post by dycie »

Which then grew into an obsession.....

Also found the culprit for the engine letting go, an oil scraper ring broke and scored the bore.

dycie

Post by dycie »

The joys of having to make a tool to hold the crank to try and break that ridiculous crank bolt.

And the polishing addiction was getting good results.

New rings were sourced from Omega and a revised oil scraper ring was a welcome friend to see.

Wasted stem inlet valves were purchased for the new build.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Time to go somewhere dry for yet more obsessive work to be done.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Excellent write up... :thumb
You have to love Cavaliers - they always repay love and obsession with another fault or breakage. :wall

I agree about the love for these cars... :love

I haven't driven mine for nearly two years, but -
When I did, I could guarantee someone would be keen to chat about these cars -
Many were ex-dealership mechanics and others either had one 'back in the day' or a fondly loved relative had one.
It always bring out fond memories and a knowing smile.
I can't think of many other cars that bring out that sort of reaction and emotion.

I still get people asking - "do you still have that Cavalier?"
Yes I do, but as usual it needs tlc to get it back on the road. :roll:

500bhp eh? - Awesome!
I am sure that many ponies would require a change of under-crackers for some people. :D

I would love to have the patience to have that kind of polishing obsession, but then I probably wouldn't dare to drive the car in case some twonk drove into me. :shock:

It was bad enough after I first got my car back on the road in 2017. All re-built and polished. I 'drove like Miss Daisy' for a while until I was able to relax and properly enjoy the car.

Interesting that you were able to rebuild the rear suspension - I know that members in the past had struggled to find replacement parts and bushes etc.

And onwards to the engine - a simple fix for a man of your calliper :)
Personally - I think that once you get past the initial dread of stripping these things, they are in fact quite straight-forward to work on.

I take it by your post -
There may be plenty more fish in the sea, but nothing satifies like your Cavalier. (cheesey grin). :lol:
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

dycie wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:28 am on a standard car only 90NM of this power goes rear maximum at any point
I've never believed that, I think that figure is the constant power you can put through, but under transient conditions, like front losing grip then the rear can carry near full power.
David
dycie

Post by dycie »

As I’ve said I’ve never had any issues at all with my set up, and it certainly improved the traction when it was fitted over the standard open diff. I can only speak from experience.