MY CAV 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
dycie

Re: MY CAV 4x4

Post by dycie »

So then began the engine rebuild, no point going in that deep without refreshing the full engine.

Then had to sort the end caps to accept the new bottom end girdle.

After scrubbing and prepping then came the engine enamel.

Then off for a fresh Hone and inspection of that scored bore.

She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
dycie

Post by dycie »

As soon as her backs turned im in the living room building the engine :lol: good news was the score was so minimal as caught quickly that the hones managed to sort the bore back out.

And conformation of correct ring gap.

Always time for lube??

She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
dycie

Post by dycie »

I wasnt happy with the girdle so sent it away to be surface skimmed as i didnt want any problems down the line trying to seal the thing against the sump and block.

New oil channels were machined into the block as the previous set up required machining of the bearings which i figured on a servicing front would be easier to just replace one for one.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Turbo after polishing was sent down to Owen Developments for a full service.

dycie

Post by dycie »

After some humming and hawing over what to do i decided that in the quest for making something better than it was before, the head was sent down to Gavin at Howe Fast Performance for some magic.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Let the build commence!

Stud conversion for the sump.

Went for Z20LET exhaust studs as they offer numerous ways to fasten.

Another well known problem with the standard relief valve was rectified in the form of the SBD nylon relief valve.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Uprated water pump.

And some SBD heavy duty idlers for stability.

Timed up.

dycie

Post by dycie »

With the addition of the lower girdle i had to make a spacer for the oil pick up pipe, back to Lochaber Stainless and his mill to knock something up.

Rather than just a simple spacer he replicated the exact flange end of the oil pick up pipe so with a new oil ring they mated seamlessly together for a bearing fit.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Now as much fun as building an engine is i still had to prepare the car, wasnt looking forward to it, but nevertheless it had to be done. Just love the Vauxhall seam sealer skills of days gone.

O rings arrived and the pipe was on.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Not once did i walk in here and think " this should be a fun day" but it had to be done, the wiring was an issue for another day, the continuing bodywork and seam sealer was keeping me up at night.

Stripping away nasty filler from previous owners work was not enjoyable exposing a poor botched fix on a strut top and a battery try palte that wasnt welded right through.

some fresh seam sealer.

Repaired the fillered hole on the strut top.

Then decided on some slight engine bay smoothing and welded up non essential holes.

Rectified the vauxhall problem area on the bulkhead and fiberglassed some ramps to allow water to escape from there instead of standing.

All sanded and ready for paint.

dycie

Post by dycie »

The new manifold arrived courtesy of SAS.

And the F28 uprated mount.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Meanwhile back at the paintshop.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Time for some transfer box overhauling.

Replacing the selector fork as a previous botched job had drilled it out to use a bolt rather than the standard pins, meant splitting the bos so replaced the selector fork plus brass sleeves for it and new oil seal.

dycie

Post by dycie »

To handle the power better i contacted TTV to see what they could do, and managed to get them to build a single plate kit capable of over 480lbft of torque.

Just couldn't help myself could i.

Splash more of colour in the bay.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Everyone loves working on 90's looms dont they???

As the ABS wasn't going back in this build the loom was jigged around to lose the connections and tuck whatever i could.

I do love this trolley :lol:

dycie

Post by dycie »

Lochaber stainless also began work designing a better transfer box strengthening cage, removing unwanted weight and material yet retaining the same structural integrity using some smart software.

dycie

Post by dycie »

The day had arrived to get the block back inside, some outside the box thinking with block and tackle, large hgv trolley jack and my trusty trolly meant this was capable.

and it was in, bit of fettling to be done to get the turbo in place.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Pushed the rad mounts back by 10mm to give more clearance for the turbo.

And chopped some meat of the slam panel too.

Transfer casings went away to get blasted.

dycie

Post by dycie »

After speaking to a good friend and cavalier owner he informed me of the poor coolant pathway used in the turbo engine as it used the standard GSi radiator which meant the top rad hose is what fed the turbo to cool it, this obviously did not even open until the thermostat had opened, so switched the water temp to the rear of the head and took the coolant feed for the turbo straight from underneath the thermostat, this meant that coolant would pass the turbo as soon as the engine was started, thus aiding cooling much quicker and more efficiently, a bit of clever pipework etc.

Also a nice big chunky AN 10 drain to sump from turbo.

dycie

Post by dycie »

Nice clean transfer box with new seals, and locking rings checked with no issues.

300NM viscous fitted also with this rebuild, this should help the split the load considerably being that the car ran a healthy 500NM on last build and with more power pushing from the rear it will reduce stress on the transmission.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Serviced the prop shaft too whilst at it, new centre bearings and UJ's.

Kmac adjustable top mounts fitted to compliment the rear camber adjustment bushes.

These top mounts replace everything from the standard including new heavy duty bearings, they allow camber and caster adjustments too as well as normal toe.
dycie

Post by dycie »

Also the trained eye will prob notice the lower arms have been changed to saab ones, these are cast and a better product than the standard wishbones on the cavalier, these also have abbot racing spherical bearings and polyurethane bushes too

water cooled the waste gate this time too, again just because anything that aids cooling the engine is well received.

Oil cooler mounted back onto car.

Was time to get the Lochaber Stainless man back down to weld up the intercooler and boost pipes.

Prop back on.

Some nice brass bushings for the gear linkeage.

Some juice for the boxes.

dycie

Post by dycie »

And so its starting to look like a complete bay again, few little tweeks and tidying up to do but its close.

A skid pan will be fitted on this build to not only keep the bay cleaner (after all that polishing) but also to aid in some cooling via some clever ducts to create a venturi effect on the radiator.

the small cooler in this pic at front of grill is now positioned behind, this comes from the wastegate and then back up to the header tank, just another cooling aid for the car.

dycie

Post by dycie »

its running at least, need to get an exhaust on there but wont be long.
https://youtube.com/shorts/h5LDt7xCcds?feature=share
dycie

Post by dycie »

i dont have a clue how to put you tube vids on but heres the link anyway, that was the 499.9!!!! dyno day on the last build, fingers crossed for some more this time.

enjoy

https://youtu.be/8UIL_T3GahI
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Some machine and some amount of work going into get it looking like that. Makes me wonder with my 90 or so BHP !!

I like the little fibre glass channels you made in the bulkhead corner to stop the water sitting in it, great idea that one.