humbucker's 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4 (Turbo #2)

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: humbucker's 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4 (Turbo #2)

Post by Robsey »

Hmm going back a few posts...

I can't get my head round those gloss black alloys. Just far too shiney (??) And too black. - lol

I am an old school person (complete with old fashioned spelling)
I have a preference for Aluminium or Anthracite Grey

But I suppose body colour has a huge effect..

maroon body = anthracite wheels
blue body = aluminium wheels

that's my five pence worth....
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Robsey wrote:I can't get my head round those gloss black alloys. Just far too shiney (??) And too black.
You'll be delighted to hear that they're not staying. I only bought them as they were dirt cheap and I wanted a set of wheels to attach to Turbo #1 while it was tucked up for the winter (an attempt to keep its Toyo-clad refurbed rims in tip-top condition).
Robsey wrote:But I suppose body colour has a huge effect...
maroon body = anthracite wheels
blue body = aluminium wheels
I know what you mean. I am having a set of wheels made for the car, but I am still not 100% sure what colour to have them powdercoated. The choices are satin black, satin gunmetal, white, silver or just a polished wheel face. I know what colour I'm going to get the car's bodywork painted, but it looks as though I'm gonna have to get busy with Photoshop in order to avoid an expensive mistake...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Dycie gave me the keys to his 408.7bhp Cavalier Turbo 4x4 (viewtopic.php?f=71&t=15194) last week. It really is a fantastic car, and it looks even better in the metal than it does in any of the photos that it has starred in. A rapid Mk3, and one that got me excited about the build of my own not-so-general motor.

Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

"I'm gonna have to get busy with Photoshop in order to avoid an expensive mistake..."
On a more humble note I've sometimes wondered if you can get Photoshop to simulate what the effect would be of retro '50's style spoked wire wheels on a Cavalier, whatever the colour. These would probably be quite impractical to fit (but the effect could be equivalent to 400 + bhp :) )
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Telegram Sam wrote: retro '50's style spoked wire wheels on a Cavalier )
Do you mean something like calibre wheels make?
(http://www.calibrewheelshop.co.uk/calib ... 126034.htm)
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

No that's far too modern!! I think I'm thinking back to Austin Healeys and early MG's (?) = real spokes, like what you see in vintage rallies. Trouble is the effect time has on one's memory cells ...

I'll get shot for diverting this thread away from the 408 bhp.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Lowrider Dave's recent 'Archer' post reminded me of a teething problem that I experienced with Turbo #2. I could detect a whiff of petrol whenever I hopped out of the car, leading me to check over the car's fuel lines. Sure enough, the rear pipework was soaked, largely thanks to what looks like hastily installed old-spec rubber. Yuk!

You can see fuel settled in the cutouts on the clip screws!

Hellfrauds to the rescue!

Job done. All fuel, oil and brake lines will be coming off and being replaced with new parts as soon as work begins on the car.

Crawling around beneath the rear of the ol' girl gave me an opportunity to have a look at the condition of her back end in a bit more detail. Reasonably tidy, reasonably pleased. So far, so good.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

If there’s any benefit to be had from replacing a Cavalier Turbo 4x4 in an excellent state of tune with one that is need of a lot of work, it’s that I can select suitable parts to take care of the latter’s core functions safe in the knowledge that the very same kit worked well for me in the recent past. The car’s cooling system is a case in point – knowing that a TX Autosport alloy radiator performed brilliantly under the bonnet of my current Cavalier’s predecessor, I didn’t hesitate to invest in the same part again.

Designed specifically for the Cavalier and Calibra Turbo’s legendary C20LET engine, the TX Autosport radiator features a 50mm twin core that delivers more efficient cooling and lower overall water operating temperatures than the factory part that it replaces. A high-quality aluminium construction (that incorporates robust alloy end tanks) displaces heat quickly, while exhaustive bench testing, a ‘plug and play’ design and a twelve month warranty provide ample confidence when shelling out for a part that is advertised as being able to cope with the cooling demands of an uprated powerplant.

The plumbing-in of the radiator will be taken care of by a Roose Motorsport high-performance silicone coolant hose kit and JCS stainless steel ‘Hi-Grip’ fasteners that have been individually polished in order to achieve a chrome-effect look. I’ve also ordered an electric slimline fan, a fresh header tank, a new thermostat and genuine coolant temperature sensors, although these items hadn’t arrived by the time that I sat down to write this project update. Hopefully, they’ll be in place before I scribble about the next batch of kit that finds its way onto my cool Cavalier! Geddit?! I'll get me coat...

THANKS

TX Autosport
01279 550032
http://www.txautosport.co.uk

Roose Motorsport
01522 787187
http://www.roosemotorsport.co.uk
Ads

Post by Ads »

I have the same TX radiator on my cavalier turbo, and as you say they are excellent, when I fitted the bigger turbo I had space issues with standard radiator fan, so I replaced it with 3 x 7 inch slim line fans , and the temp never goes above 90 degrees now. Ads
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I forgot to order the slimline fans! Doh! I'm not gonna reinstate the factory fan and shroud. They're so heavy!

In other news, I've ordered a set of new wheels! Hoorah! They're being machined specifically for the car. They should be with me early next week (if not beforehand). In the meantime, I need to get hold of some new rubber...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

My new wheels have arrived! Hoorah! They're gonna look the mutt's nuts when fitted.

You're looking at the full 8x18-inches!

Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Massive rims!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Coming together nicely.

Just read through the whole thread again, great story so far!
colin1

Post by colin1 »

humbucker wrote:...In other news, I've ordered a set of new wheels! Hoorah! They're being machined specifically for the car...
If I understand you correctly, custom-built rims?
How much is that per corner if you don't mind me asking?
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Massive rims!
I saw things like that on a Volvo Earthmover on the A9 once

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=volvo ... OJFVEMM%3A

Cept that the Volvo ones weren't quite so macho.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

lowrider dave wrote:Massive rims!
Said the vicar to the choirboy.
James McGrath wrote:Coming together nicely. Just read through the whole thread again, great story so far!
Thanks James. Lots more new performance parts have arrived for the car in the past few weeks, I've just got to find the time to fit them. Either that or box them all up, send the car away to the body shop and then fit them. I'm undecided.
colin1 wrote:If I understand you correctly, custom-built rims? How much is that per corner if you don't mind me asking?
They're not a custom built rim, but they have been made to order with an offset and PCD machined specifically for my car.
Telegram Sam wrote:I saw things like that on a Volvo Earthmover on the A9 once, cept that the Volvo ones weren't quite so macho.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Super89 wrote:What Tyres you going for..Something as tasty!? :D
Unsure atm. I've got to see what 215/35/18 options are at my disposal! ;)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Tyre update! A set of Falken Azenis FK453s are en route to my place from Falken HQ in Germany as I type this message. The FK453 is the same motorsport-influenced tyre that I have wrapped around my Irmscher MV6's staggered Sport Stars. I can't wait to see what my Cavalier Turbo will look like with its new wheels and rubber in place!

In the meantime, here's an interesting video about the development of the FK453.

Link

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Time spent tinkering with my recently-purchased VXR (and my long-suffering MV6!) had left my Cavalier Turbo looking a little sorry for itself and in need of a damn good clean. Truth be told, it was filthy on the outside and a complete wreck under the bonnet! I’ll take full responsibility for the former (dirt caused by exposure to the elements as a consequence of sustained use in all weather conditions), but the state of the engine bay was a feature that I inherited when I originally bought the car.

Ridding the Satin Red road rocket’s body panels of muck was easy enough thanks to the arsenal of Autobrite Direct detailing products that I have at my disposal; pre-wash chemicals, snow foam, shampoo, acid-free wheel cleaner, tar remover, glass cleaner, clay and quick detailer all played their part in getting rid of scuz. Cleaning the aforementioned engine bay, however, called for an attack of oil and grease removers lifted from Autobrite’s celebrated ‘Hellshine’ range.

Sadly, I didn’t get that far! Reasoning that the removal of various C20LET engine components would give me better access to those ‘hard to reach’ areas, I unbolted the car’s air box. And its headlights. And its grille. In fact, by the end of the afternoon, I was looking at a mountain of parts on the driveway that included the Cavalier’s turbocharger, intercooler, manifold, exhaust, hoses, ignition system, ECU, wiring loom, radiator, fan, fluid reservoirs, seats, carpets, underlay, clocks and dash trim! Phew! Allow me to explain...

Part way through my mission to remove the grime and grease that seemed to be covering everything in sight, the focus of my attention shifted towards the endless stream of wires, control units, horns and proximity sensors of long-redundant security systems that were inhabiting every corner of the car. Cables weaving their way through the bulkhead, behind the dash, beneath carpets, through doors and along sills demanded the application of a heavy hand, and that’s exactly what they got. Oops!

I’m now facing something of a dilemma: do I carry on stripping the car until it is a bare shell whereupon I can treat it to all new genuine Cavalier Turbo body panels and a fresh lick of paint, or do I start a ‘dry build’ of all the parts that I have stockpiled to ensure that every modification runs without fault before any cosmetic alterations take place? Perhaps you can let me know your thoughts?!

I told you that I’d bought a Cavalier in need of a serious amount of work!

THANKS
Autobrite Direct
01782 623819
http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Nice work so far Dan. :thumb

Sounds like this is going to be a very comprehensive rebuild.
Considering the amount of time that's gone into collecting all the part together it's probably a good idea to make sure everything is perfect first.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:Sounds like this is going to be a very comprehensive rebuild.
I have a full set of brand new genuine GM Cavalier Turbo body panels (bonnet, boot lid, slam panel, sills, wheel arches, front panel, all four doors and wings complete with body kit rivets), a block with only 10,000 miles on it, a Coscast head, every major engine component either brand new OE or upgraded, VXR fuelling parts, standalone engine management, a new ignition system, upgraded airflow components, a custom turbocharger being built for the car as I type this message, a custom tubular exhaust manifold, an enlarged stainless exhaust system, new wheels and tyres, a fully re-trimmed interior (including seats dash, door cards, mats, gaiters, parcel shelf etc.), all new silicone hoses, an upgraded brake system, all new suspension parts, a full set of polybushes, transmission components (including uprated clutch, transfer box locking rings, rebuilt F28 gearbox), the list goes on... The only original part of the car will be the shell at this rate, haha!

Now I just need to find the most important part of the build... time!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Wow. I knew you had a lot of panels but dam.

If you're stripping it that far down have you considered getting the shell chemically dipped?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:Wow. I knew you had a lot of panels but dam.

If you're stripping it that far down have you considered getting the shell chemically dipped?
Yup. I'm going to make enquiries to that effect. The driver's side front floor pan is a bit iffy due to what looks like damage caused by someone jacking the car up by the floor(!), and the little plastic bungs were missing, resulting in road dirt and water being flicked straight into the carpet/underlay. Underlay does a good job, but there was no way that it was ever gonna get the chance to dry out, resulting in corrosion around the area where the jack damage is. Dipping might be a good idea before repair work is carried out.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

More photos of the bodged wiring and security system horrors that I encountered. Not exactly what you'd call 'Robsey-spec' workmanship. On the plus side, I am able to confirm that the car is packing a Coscast cylinder head. Nice.

I believe this is supposed to be connected to the car's radiator fan motor!