humbucker's 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4 (Turbo #2)

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: humbucker's 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4 (Turbo #2)

Post by humbucker »

I’ve owned four Mk3 Cavaliers to date. In fact, until recently, I had three Cavalier Turbo 4x4s under lock and key! Add to that my role as one of the administrators of the Mk3 Cavalier Owners Club, and it would be fair to say that I’ve got a lot of love for this classic Vauxhall.

I’m now down to two Turbo 4x4s following my recent decision to sell the 1993 Satin Red ‘minter’ that I’d owned since 2011. Parting with that car leaves me with a ‘92 Spectral Blue example and another Satin Red Turbo that currently wears an M-plate at each end.

The latter of the two remaining Cavaliers was bought with heavy modification in mind. In truth, I was afraid to detract from the ’93 car’s originality by toying with it too much, instead opting to restore and replace its factory equipment with brand new genuine parts wherever possible. Reasoning that an additional Cavalier Turbo would enable me to tune to my heart’s content, I decided to seek out another of these nineties powerhouses of performance.

Already advertised at a low price, the second Satin Red car that would join my MV6 (at what increasingly looks like a Network Q dealership) is certainly not without its faults. A tired interior, a messy engine bay, rear quarter panel scratches, mismatched coil springs and a suspect turbocharger are all features that the seller described as ‘adding character’, although he came unstuck when trying to convince me that there was nothing wrong with the car’s electrics – my Tech 1 diagnostic machine never lies! That’ll be another £500 off the asking price, thanuverymush.

A Cavalier Turbo in need of work was what I was looking for, and that’s exactly what I’ve ended up with. Job done. Well, not quite. A series of vintage alarms appears to have been installed on the car over the years, leaving a mad mix of random wiring and additional dash lights dotted about its cabin. One of these security systems includes external proximity sensors that trigger warning messages from a loudspeaker if an unsuspecting pedestrian (or the car’s new owner!) gets too close. This probably-advanced-for-its-time bit of kit allowed its installer to select any one of a number of languages for the pre-recorded messages, but today we find ourselves stuck in ‘Spanish’ mode. Yes, that’s right – my car screams at me in Spanish if I stand too close to it. Needless to say, one of my first jobs is to rip out the old security gear and fit something sensible in its place!

Plus points include a decat Scorpion exhaust system, a custom headlining, low mileage and a recently rebuilt F28 gearbox. There’s a dash that lights up like a Christmas tree too. Nice.

I’ve started stockpiling under-bonnet equipment already, and one of my first purchases includes a complete set of Roose Motorsport silicone hoses. Finished in bright red and supplied with polished chrome clips, these awesome ancillary, turbo, breather and coolant pipes will enhance the appearance of the car’s engine bay while providing durability and a huge amount of heat resistance over the odd mix of hoses that the silicone parts find themselves replacing. I suppose I’d better get outside and fit ‘em then, eh?!

THANKS
Roose Motorsport
01522 787187
http://www.roosemotorsport.co.uk
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

A photo that I took of the car on the day I bought it (back in May 2012!). It really is a very tidy Turbo, although in need of enough attention that I considered it to be the perfect platform for a thorough restomod project. In other words, it wasn't a patch on Turbo #1!

I popped in to see fellow forum member, State, on the way back from the car's previous owner's gaff Oop North. I was collecting a black GSi2000 body kit from State's place, although I wasn't entirely sure if the kit would fit inside the car. It did, but more importantly, the exercise served to highlight the failed spring mechanism that holds my car's boot lid aloft! I used some handy sticks to keep it open while the GSi gear was shoved into place. Another job to add to the list...

Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Do you have the OEM part numbers for the kinky boot lid stays at hand?
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:Do you have the OEM part numbers for the kinky boot lid stays at hand?
I'm afraid not!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

The car's leather was in a bad way and looked as though it had never EVER seen hide feed. Some carefully placed cloth tape hid a multitude of sins on the driver's seat:

To be honest, I wasn't too bothered. The crappy condition of the leather proved to be a strong bargaining chip. Besides, I had no intention of keeping the seats that came with the car. Consequently, they were sold via eBay to a lad who was planning to have them retrimmed.

I sourced a replacement interior that was in good order. Express delivery!

Dusty, but immeasurably better than the outgoing leather. The driver's outer bolster is slightly discoloured (as opposed to showing signs of wear), but it will clean up nicely with a colour restoration kit. The rear bench/uprights are in tip-top condition.

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

It's amazing how much you can fit into a Cavalier, even a 4 door! I can't think of many cars that will comfortably accommodate their own bumpers, plus other parts inside. Truly amazing.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier342 wrote:It's amazing how much you can fit into a Cavalier, even a 4 door! I can't think of many cars that will comfortably accommodate their own bumpers, plus other parts inside. Truly amazing.
It sounds as though you're pining for another Cavalier, my friend!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Fraid not mate, no cars for me, though I would love an American import as a dream daily driver.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I reckon that I could pack your Turbo #2 in the back of my SRi next time I'm travelling back north from Cambs
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Telegram Sam wrote:I reckon that I could pack your Turbo #2 in the back of my SRi next time I'm travelling back north from Cambs

I'm sorry but that sounded PROPER dirty! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Previous:

Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Telegram Sam wrote:I could pack your Turbo #2 in the back of my SRi
Phrasing.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:I reckon that I could pack your Turbo #2 in the back of my SRi next time I'm travelling back north from Cambs
Cavalier342 wrote:I'm sorry but that sounded PROPER dirty! :lol: :lol: :lol:
lowrider dave wrote:Phrasing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

A good haul Dan!
I managed to fit in the V6: Front and rear bumper, two complete doors and a hatch boot lid. It left a rather 'compact' driving space!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Both of my Satin Red Turbos were out and about for the 'Cavaliers in Cambridge' meet that took place roughly a month after I bought Turbo #2. On the day of the meet, TeamSlinky took control of Turbo #1 while I gave the new arrival a good shakedown.

L-R: Waggy, Rage, Martay, humbucker (Turbo #2), Ben_L, teamSlinky (Turbo #1), Maracus

Turbo #2 (L), Turbo #1 (R):

Filling up ahead of our trek across the Far East Anglia (Turbo #2 in the background):

Turbo #2's engine bay. Nothing but a good clean and a service using standard filters and fluids had occurred at this point. I quite like the look of the colour-coded camshaft and timing belt covers.

The car performed well, although I began to suspect that its radiator fan wasn't kicking in when called upon. Also, it's fair to say that its fuel gauge is on the blink. More jobs to add to the list!

Turbo #2 (L), Turbo #1 (R):

A full selection of pics from the day can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9227
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Lol I can imagine some people's reactions when both Turbos passed them, they're like... De Ja Vu? Or are my eyes Fked? lol!!
Previous:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier342 wrote:Lol I can imagine some people's reactions when both Turbos passed them, they're like... De Ja Vu? Or are my eyes Fked? lol!!
Ha! We weren't the only ones at it that day. We encountered Team MG on the way home! :lol:

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

LOL! Montegos. Ain't seen one in years..
Previous:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier342 wrote:LOL! Montegos. Ain't seen one in years..
I've put the feelers out :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12345#p154835
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Turbo #3 (project thread to follow) arrived at Château Furr wearing some hideous Mk5 Astra SXi alloys. I stripped and sold the car's leather, door cards, exhaust, lights, body kit, various pieces of trim etc. within a week of welcoming it to its new home, and I was surprised to see furious eBay bidding when it came to the Astra rims. Anyway, the point of telling you this is that I needed to throw a set of wheels on Turbo #3 in order to shift the SXi monstrosities. In a game of 'mix and match', Turbo #3 ended up with Turbo #2's fanblades, while Turbo #2 took on a duplicate set that had been painted black!

The centre caps that came with the wheels were pretty knackered. I didn't bother putting them on the car.

To be honest, I thought that black fanblades would look cack, but I'm a big fan of limited colour palettes on cars, and the painted wheels work well in helping to deliver a fairly even balance of black and red. Not that they're staying... a custom set of 18s are being made for the car as I type this message. Mwahahaha!

In other news, more project progress can be seen in the latest issue of Performance Vauxhall magazine. Clickety click.

Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

".. although I began to suspect that its radiator fan wasn't kicking in when called upon."
Despite changing most of the components at one stage or another I had the same suspicions myself. The lampbulb "trick" that occurred to me was to get the garage to install a simple manual override switch so that I could trigger the fan if I was worried about the gauge going towards the red. This was a lifeline on several occasions including one mega jam on the A19 Middlesbrough last summer. I pass this on for what it's worth to anyone with worries about entrusting the fate of their motors to electronic sensors.
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

I bought a full set of engine mount inserts as the cav gearbox one isn't brill here's link

http://www.strongflex.eu/en/187-opel-va ... ra-a-88-95
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:
".. although I began to suspect that its radiator fan wasn't kicking in when called upon."
Despite changing most of the components at one stage or another I had the same suspicions myself. The lampbulb "trick" that occurred to me was to get the garage to install a simple manual override switch so that I could trigger the fan if I was worried about the gauge going towards the red. This was a lifeline on several occasions including one mega jam on the A19 Middlesbrough last summer. I pass this on for what it's worth to anyone with worries about entrusting the fate of their motors to electronic sensors.
Good shout. I had a fan manual override switch in Turbo #1. Like you say, a useful tool to have. Following the discovery of hacked wiring and a dodgy looking radiator, however, I fear that Turbo #2's ailment is more than just a case of me worrying! You'll note from the screenshot of the magazine project update that I've been making improvements in the cooling dept, but I think a fan switch is also on the cards.
joe cavalier sri wrote:I bought a full set of engine mount inserts as the cav gearbox one isn't brill here's link
http://www.strongflex.eu/en/187-opel-va ... ra-a-88-95
Cheers for that. I have a full set of Powerflex polyurethane bushes for the car, but I'll compare my haul with the Strongflex catalogue to see where there might be additional gains to be made.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I had a look at Powerflex bushes [and Gaz shockers] previously and would be interested to know what conclusions if any you come to re how Strongflex compares. Would these have any effect on the gearbox linkage / changes ???
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:I had a look at Powerflex bushes [and Gaz shockers] previously and would be interested to know what conclusions if any you come to re how Strongflex compares. Would these have any effect on the gearbox linkage / changes ???
No, these are suspension components.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

"as the cav gearbox one isn't brill"
That's what threw me (not at my brightest at this time of night). Is there an improvement for the g/b mounts?