humbucker's 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4 (Turbo #2)

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

humbucker's 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4 (Turbo #2)

Post by humbucker »

It's high time that I started documenting project progress (or lack thereof) with Turbo #2. As many of you already know, I own three Cavalier Turbo 4x4s:

Turbo #1: 1993 (L) Satin Red. Very tidy, 'sensibly' modified, project progress well documented on the forum:

Turbo #2: 1994 (M) Satin Red. The star of this thread! Bought to use as the platform for a long-term, full-on restomod project:

Turbo #3: 1992 (K) Spectral Blue. Bought to be used as a parts donor for Turbo #2 and my Irmscher MV6 project:

Retro Cars magazine is featuring Turbo #2 (alongside my Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II and my classic Saab 900S Aero Turbo convertible) in its monthly 'staff cars' section. An overview of my time with Turbo #1 forms the introduction to the Turbo #2 project. More to follow...
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: humbucker's 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4 (Turbo #2)

Post by Envoy CDX »

Looking forward to seeing this one progress :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

You can't drive all 3 at once lol.
I think your a cav turbo whore!! Or like Cav turbo orniments lol.
I'm only jealous.
Anyhow it's nice to see that 2 are well preserved and not abused.
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Ads

Post by Ads »

I don't know where I got the notion from, but I was under the impression that you had sold turbo 1 to fund your other projects, looks can be deceiving but turbo 3 looks to good to be a donor car, Ads
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Looking sweet.

Looking forward to seeing it in person in the future. :thumb
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Ads wrote:I don't know where I got the notion from, but I was under the impression that you had sold turbo 1 to fund your other projects, looks can be deceiving but turbo 3 looks to good to be a donor car, Ads
I thought the same actually.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Envoy CDX wrote:Looking forward to seeing this one progress :)
You and me both!
Super89 wrote:Whats wrong with Turbo 3?
Not a lot! It was advertised at a bargain price, and it came with stacks of tuning parts/spares. The ideal parts donor!
btcctroy wrote:You can't drive all 3 at once lol. I think your a cav turbo whore!! Or like Cav turbo orniments lol. I'm only jealous. Anyhow it's nice to see that 2 are well preserved and not abused.
Cheers Troy!
Ads wrote:I don't know where I got the notion from, but I was under the impression that you had sold turbo 1 to fund your other projects, looks can be deceiving but turbo 3 looks to good to be a donor car, Ads
Shhhh! We haven't got to that update yet! :lol:
James McGrath wrote:Looking sweet. Looking forward to seeing it in person in the future. :thumb
Aye, although I have no idea when it will be back on the road. Watch this space!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Please bear in mind that the lengthier updates in this project thread have been written for an audience that are unlikely to be familiar with the Cavalier Turbo's factory specification.

Update #1/an introduction to the project, as seen in Retro Cars (Issue 79, January 2015. Download the issue/subscribe: http://is.gd/C3Zqz2)

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

When it comes to modifying cars, there are many who subscribe to a train of thought that reads something along the lines of ‘don’t mess with a classic’. Moreover, these protectors of the great and good can often be seen wincing when presented with a special edition motor that has lost various items of model-specific trim as a consequence of the appointment of aftermarket gear. Of course, there are plenty of petrolheads who would argue that variety is the spice of life and that there is always room for improvement, but it’s those of us in charge of these cherished chariots that have to decide whether to break away from factory styling and a manufacturer’s standard state of tune in favour of something more radical.

I’ll admit to finding myself at this particular fork in the road; as the proud owner of a spotless ’93-plate Satin Red Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4, I spent a good couple of summers displaying my pride and joy at Griffin-themed shows while enjoying the 204bhp that the car delivers from its standard two-litre, 16-valve, C20LET powerplant. Four-wheel drive, a six-speed Getrag gearbox, independent rear suspension, special edition leather upholstery and an understated exterior styling package (largely inherited from the model’s naturally aspirated, GSi2000-badged predecessor) finished in that cool colour go some way to explaining my love for the sporty Vauxhall, but I soon found myself looking at performance enhancing upgrades and potentially character-changing automotive aesthetic alterations.

As one of the admins over at the Cavalier Mk3 Owners Club (http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com), I’m well aware of the ever-decreasing number of surviving Cavalier Turbos. Of course, many of the 2,000 examples that were originally sold in the UK have succumbed to GM’s enthusiasm for failing to equip the Griffins of yesteryear with adequate protection from the elements, but a great many more have fallen foul of green-eyed owners of lesser Vauxhalls who want to relieve the trusty Turbo of its desirable engine and gearbox. At the time of writing, DVLA figures suggest that there are just seventy Cavalier Turbos active on the nation’s highways.

With my car fast becoming one of an endangered species – and prices of standard examples skyrocketing accordingly – I felt obliged to leave the bulk of its factory features firmly in place. This left my desire to modify feeling decidedly stifled, and I reasoned that there was only one way that I was going to be able to achieve the best of both worlds. Yep, you guessed it: I bought another Cavalier Turbo!

The arrival of the second Satin Red stunner at Chez Furr means that I can tinker and tweak to my heart’s content while enjoying everything that my original car (let’s call it Turbo #1) has to offer. It also means that I should have at least one Cavalier Turbo on the road at any given time. Early indications are that Turbo #1 will be my ‘hop in and drive’ vehicle, while Turbo #2 becomes the subject of an ambitious ground-up, bare shell restoration incorporating a wide variety of exciting modifications. It all looks good on paper!

That’s not to say that I’m against upgrading aspects of Turbo #1 that are widely regarded as failings of the manufacturer. For example, the more powerful Mk3 Cavaliers in existence (namely the Turbo 4x4 and the excellent 2.5-litre V6 variants) are known to deliver a ‘wallowy’ ride when utilising OE-spec suspension. Dropping ride height and upgrading shock absorbers has long been recognised as a remedy for this notable handling deficiency, and Turbo #1 wears Koni Sport adjustable dampers that go some way towards eradicating this unwelcome driving characteristic. The ol' girl also boasts an enlarged, free-flowing Mongoose stainless steel exhaust system – an awesome bit of kit that produces a fantastic growl and replaces GM’s restrictive pipework.

The model’s advanced four-wheel drive system features a transfer box that contains a viscous coupling designed to moderate the level of power transmitted to the car’s rear wheels. It allows the ABS to operate independently in each corner by disengaging when the brake pedal is applied. A lack of regular servicing and mismatched tyre tread depths have caused the majority of Cavalier (and Calibra) Turbo transfer boxes to fail, and it was with this in mind that I invested in a quartet of Toyo Proxes T1-Rs to wrap around Turbo #1's 16-inch fanblade alloy wheels. I’ve also bought a set of transfer box gear locking rings that will engage the car in a permanent state of four-wheel drive (while allowing me to dispense with the system's oft-troublesome mechanical equipment).

The aforementioned wheels were beginning to show their age – a fact that encouraged me to leave them in the capable hands of Grantham-based rim refurbishing and powdercoating firm, Classic Coatings. I offloaded Turbo #1’s bonnet stay, cam cover, timing belt cover, an early C20XE-sourced metal spark plug cover, top mounts and a set of Eibach lowering springs at the same time, and each component was afforded an acid bath and a media blast before being treated to generous coverings of either sparkling silver or radiant red. To say that I’m thrilled with look of the finished parts is an understatement.

Before refitting the cam cover, I cut a large section of its internal baffle plate away to assist with engine oil circulation. It’s a well known trick that Vauxhall-oriented tuning companies will happily charge you an arm and a leg for, but tin snips and determination are all that's required. DIY-tastic!

Other than that, I’ve been replacing old for new wherever possible, and the car now benefits from stacks of genuine no-longer-serviced GM parts (including headlights and their accompanying wiper arms, fog lights, indicators, alloy wheel centre caps and under-bonnet fluid reservoirs). As you’d expect, the parts pile continues to grow (not least of all because I now have two Cavalier Turbos to concern myself with!) and I’ll be sure to provide you with regular project progress reports in the lead up to Turbo #1’s participation in the forthcoming Retro Cars Magazine round-Europe 'Euro Rally' romp. Watch this space!

A quick overview of my time with Turbo #1:

Tidy Toyos:

Turbo #1's leather interior is in exceptionally good condition thanks to a set of replacement seats installed by the car's previous owner:

I managed to get hold of spare timing belt and cam covers to send to Classic Coatings. The cam cover had a bizarre paint job, as though it had been polished before being treated to a rattle can 'gradient' of colour!

And now, the cam cover breather mod. First up, the cam cover is flipped over to reveal the baffle plate within:

This corner section is the only part of the baffle plate that I wanted to retain:

Out it comes:

Chopped:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Turbo #1's Eibach lowering springs were originally put to good use on Adam's Cavalier Turbo:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Along with Turbo #1's wheels, cam cover, timing belt cover, top mount covers and bonnet stay, the springs were delivered to Classic Coatings:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Tadaa!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

New, genuine and super-rare Cavalier Turbo fanblade centre caps. The parts were sourced separately over a two year period:

New wheel bolt covers:

New, genuine 'no-longer-serviced' fog lamps:

New genuine headlamps:

New genuine headlamp weather seals:

New DEPO indicators:

Fitted:

New genuine headlamp wiper arms:

I renewed all of the car's ignition components due to the fact that the engine was hesitating under load. New leads, Iridium spark plugs and a brand new Bosch distributor cured the problem immediately:

Cam cover breather mod in place, new cam cover gasket etc.:

Cam cover dress-up bolt kit:

Magnetic sump plug:

New genuine grille badge:

New genuine boot lid badge:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

A few photos of Turbo #1 taken after the refurbished parts were fitted:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

And then there were two...! More to follow 8-)

btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

I would of thought turbo#1 will be the most original cavalier turbo in the country.
Looks in 'as new' condition very very nice indeed. I've only been in modified examples, like my brothers ex police cavalier turbo.
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

You should put a hazard warning sign on the thread before you show anything that looks that good!

Great read as always. :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sweet !! :cool

Simply awesome.
I have heard of leading by example -
blimey they are lovely original examples.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Fantastic. I forgot how good that car looked.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

btcctroy wrote:I would of thought turbo#1 will be the most original cavalier turbo in the country. Looks in 'as new' condition very very nice indeed. I've only been in modified examples, like my brothers ex police cavalier turbo.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's original (Konis, Eibachs, Toyos, Mongoose exhaust etc.), but I hear what you're saying. It's a lovely car.
Robsey wrote:Sweet !! :cool

Simply awesome.
I have heard of leading by example -
blimey they are lovely original examples.
I'm looking forward to posting project updates for Turbo #2. I just need to shift the MV6 out of my garage, hehe!
James McGrath wrote:You should put a hazard warning sign on the thread before you show anything that looks that good! Great read as always. :thumb
Thanks for the positive feedback, James!
Envoy CDX wrote:Fantastic. I forgot how good that car looked.
She doesn't scrub up too badly, eh?!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Update #2, as seen in Retro Cars (Issue 82, April 2015. Download the issue/subscribe: http://is.gd/5F1GOA)

TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I cant keep up with you and your cars! lol. Either that or your various threads/posts over the internet are all over the place.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

TurboDan wrote:I cant keep up with you and your cars! lol. Either that or your various threads/posts over the internet are all over the place.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm just about to start work on a classic Saab 900 Aero S Turbo convertible too :shock: :lol:

This forum is the only place where all my project threads sit under one roof 8-)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Regular readers will recall the excellent ‘Retro Cars at the Rock’ events that took place at Rockingham Speedway last year, but in case you missed them (and the round-up reports that followed), allow me to enlighten you: our esteemed editor, JJ, invited Retro Cars writers, photographers and readers to wheel their modified classics down to the Northamptonshire motorsport venue for a celebration of all that is great and good about the automotive scene that we inhabit. Better still, track taster sessions were available for those who wanted to attack the asphalt in their pride and joy, and all attendees were able to enjoy a celebratory lap of what is claimed to be Europe’s fastest racing circuit.

The first of these get-togethers took place in March. Ordinarily, my trusty Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4 would spend this time of year tucked up in the warm, enjoying hibernation, and readying itself for the summer show season, but testing its abilities at the track in the company of a wide range of retro rides was too good an opportunity to miss. Unsurprisingly, a fresh tax disc (remember them?!) was stuck to the inside of the car’s windscreen as soon as the date for the first ‘Rock’ outing was announced.

At this point, you might be wondering why I’m waxing lyrical about past events. Well, aside from doffing my cap to all those who turned out for these fantastic gatherings, reminiscing serves to demonstrate that my car has – for the first time since I’ve owned it – been taxed all year round. And that means that I’ve been making good use of it in all weather conditions!

In spite of being caked in the muck that the roads of rural Cambridgeshire have thrown at it in recent weeks, this great Griffin has performed brilliantly. Indeed, I’ve loved every minute of being behind its leather-clad steering wheel. That doesn’t mean that I’ve been unable to find time to tinker, though; I’ve recently replaced the car’s original coil pack with a brand new GM/Bosch part. Other ignition upgrades include NGK Iridium spark plugs and uprated leads, while all fluids and filters have been changed with genuine service parts (including a dump of the car’s Getrag F28 six-speed transmission juice).

As far as the Vauxhall’s exterior is concerned, not a lot has changed since my last progress report (mud aside!), although I’ve introduced a subtle styling update in the form of a de-tangoed rear end. This simple modification can be applied to Cavalier Turbos and GSi2000s due to the fact that the taillights of both models feature a standalone orange insert. Using a soldering iron, the part can be carefully broken into pieces and removed through bulb apertures, resulting in a clear, smoked lens that looks infinitely better than its earlier factory state. Nice.

While at the back of the car, I noticed a number of hairline cracks that had appeared in the lenses of its decorative boot panel. I’m not sure if they came about through over-tightening of neighbouring bolts or simply as a consequence of the panel’s old age, but I’ve managed to source a replacement with lenses that are in ‘as new’ condition. The painted section of the panel could do with a fresh coat of Satin Red, but I’m probably just being fussy. At the end of the day, I’m pleased to have been able to get hold of this rare item. After all, with so few Cavalier Turbos produced – and an incredibly low number of surviving examples on the road – genuine model-specific spares are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

At the front, brand new genuine GM headlamp wiper arms (key components of an almost entirely useless period cost-option) join the new lights that starred in my last update, while a horrible cut-and-shut boost hose has been ditched. The offending pipework must have been chopped by a previous owner in order to accommodate a hastily installed dump valve, but careless hacking had produced splits in the factory rubber. My Poppins-esque box of bits provided me with a solid stand-in, and it was soon making itself at home beneath the Cavalier’s bonnet.

Meanwhile, a coolant dump encouraged me to change the car’s discoloured header tank with yet another brand new replacement part. It has improved the look of the engine bay no end, an area that I’ve cleaned thoroughly with a range of degreasers, detailing brushes and cotton buds. Yes, you read that correctly. Cotton buds. It might sound extreme, but the results speak for themselves, with hardly any dirt to be found around the Turbo’s two-litre, sixteen-valve, C20LET powerplant.

Keeping grime off of the outside of the car has been an altogether different kettle of fish, with my spirited drives around the awesome A149 Norfolk coast road allowing a layer of agricultural, industrial and coastal fallout to form over the Cavalier’s otherwise spotless bodywork. This must have come as something as a shock to a car that usually spends its winters tucked up in the dry, and it registered its disapproval for fast-road fun in the cold by emptying its battery of charge and refusing to fire up for another round of seaside sprinting. Attempts at gentle persuasion failed to rectify the problem, leaving me with no choice but to – yep, you guessed it – pick up a genuine GM replacement part. It’s a good job that I’m in possession of a Vauxhall parts desk trade card, eh?!

With the new battery ensuring that the car is behaving itself, I’ve been able to start planning the build of my other Cavalier Turbo 4x4. The bottom line is that this second Satin Red stunner will be the subject of an extensive restomod project, with big power and a range of trick styling modifications to boot. Whatever the outcome, you guys will be the first to hear about it as I document progress in the form of regular magazine and forum updates. For the time being, however, I’m off to rid Turbo #1 of road grime before the ol’ girl begins to feel neglected and throws another hissy fit!

Rear light(s) before de-Tango time:

Soldering iron cutting through the orange lens insert:

Tadaa!

Replacement rear boot panel with perfect lenses:

No fuss, OEM+!

Engine bay shot taken before the installation of the header tank and pipework:

New header tank:

Header tank in place and full of fresh GM coolant:

Cut-and-shut boost pipe (complete with Collins Performance dump valve and hose splits!):

Old and new alongside one another:

You can never have too much F28 juice!

Genuine GM service parts used throughout:

...well, almost!