4x4 8v restoration/upgrade ideas

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
andeben

4x4 8v restoration/upgrade ideas

Post by andeben »

Hi All

A while ago I managed to warp the block on my 1989 4x4 (C20NE) (use your imagination how I did that ). Since then the car has stood for a year or so but I'm now ready to start fixing it up a bit. I have a donor C20NE to go in in the first instance - the short term plan being to get it back on the road for the winter and some ice track driving.

Anyway, I'd like some suggestions how best to proceed with the restoration/upgrade now that I'm back to working on the car again. Last major mod was locking the transfer box plus I've also had the rear arches welded. In general I'd quite like to keep it as an 8v but am open to suggestions (I think I know most options for an engine swap). I will also probably keep it looking standard (GL) with the exception of lowering it - and I really like the idea of 17" matt black OZ leggendas…

I can add a picture once I look into how you do that :) There were a few on my earlier posts.

Cheers

Ben
1989 2.0 8v (C20NE) 4X4 Vectra A
colin1

Re: 4x4 8v restoration/upgrade ideas

Post by colin1 »

andeben wrote:...A while ago I managed to warp the block on my 1989 4x4 (C20NE) (use your imagination how I did that )...
I've used my imagination and failed
You would require a considerable amount of heat to do that to an engine block.

Was this achieved by going rallying with no oil or coolant in the engine? Or some other method?

Just out of interest, what state was the head in? The flywheel? Just about every O-ring/gasket/seal around the engine? I think you would see a procession of failures around the engine bay long before the engine block became hot enough to warp; they have alot of mass and the general shape of a block doesn't really itself to warping.

So you're absolutely sure that the block was warped? That would be a first for me.
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
andeben

Post by andeben »

I figured that might raise some eyebrows. It was under quite high load on a public road but there weren't really any signs before that that I can recall (over a year ago now). When I was changing the head gasket I had the head skimmed and appeared to have ok compression once it was on (I didn't look at the block). But I still got oil in the water and vice versa. I tried changing the head gasket (first one I tried was steel) and another attempt with a normal gasket. After that I found out the block could be warped and checked it with a metal rule and feeler gauges and it was out of tolerance. I gave it one more go (can't remember if I tried anything different) and then gave up. Now I've got a working replacement which should get the car back on the road and I can have another look at the first one! I can report back if I find anything out - it's still in the car per today but ready to come out.

So, in principle I agree with you and I'm also not an expert so may have done something wrong. One thing it could be, and is maybe what has happened, is that a friend of mine had to help me get a sheared head bolt out of the block which we did by welding a nut to it. So the head gasket might have gone first and then we warped the deck by using too much heat. But I don't know.

I will look at the first engine again once it's out and maybe even use it if it's repairable/useable but for the moment am more interested in ideas related to the restoration and any upgrades.
andeben

Post by andeben »

No suggestions anyone?

I had a long list of things I was thinking about but having looked into the approval process for modifications here in Norway it seems like a lot of effort if I was going to try to change engines and go for more power, so I think I will stick to trying to improve it a bit and keep it as daily driveable and relatively reliable - I don't think there's many 8v 4x4s over here either so no harm in keeping it relatively stock.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Hi, and welcome to the Mk3 Cavalier Owners Club! :wave

Firstly, this guide should help you to post images on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14778

As for upgrades, I suppose it depends on what you want to get out of the car, and what your budget/restrictions are (including government guidelines on modifying).

Have you considered suspension and brake upgrades?
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Any of the Vauxhall / Opel engines will go in without to many problems including the V6 see link
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=14766
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Absolutely nothing wrong with keeping it original my friend. Very rare, which is the main reason why you would.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
andeben

Post by andeben »

Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated. V6 is interesting, I didn't know it would fit with the tx box (I couldn't read the article though). Anyone know if a 2.2 will fit (Z22SE)? Could be interesting another time :)

At the moment I'm looking at Bilstein B4s and brake calipers. The Bilsteins should be ok as a winter/daily driver set-up with standard ride height. The calipers are giving me a challenge though - the fronts have a 54mm piston (fairly normal) but the rears have 2x 33mm. I was looking at replacing the pistons but can't find any for 33mm, only a seal kit.
andeben

Post by andeben »

Here's a picture (I think). Engine should be coming out during the weekend.

Ben
colin1

Post by colin1 »

andeben wrote:Here's a picture (I think). Engine should be coming out during the weekend.

[ Image ]

Ben
What I wouldn't give for that much indoor floorspace... :cry:
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
andeben

Post by andeben »

Hi again all, and happy new year.

Update on my 4x4 8v is as follows:

Gearbox (with new Black Diamond stage I clutch) and transfer box now swapped over to donor C20NE and installed in car - cam belt, sump gasket and rocker cover gasket replaced. Not quite finished yet but hope to start it up soon (fingers crossed). I'm currently struggling to get the alternator belt on correctly - is there an easy way to move the tensioner into its 'slack' position?

Brakes have been a pain but I've rebuilt all the calipers except for one of the rears which has a seized piston. Couldn't blow it out with my compressor so have ordered new caliper. I've also damaged one of the rear brake dust covers/shields so need to repair that before I can get the handbrake shoes on.

I can almost see light at the end of the tunnel and am hoping to have the car ready by 6th feb when there is an ice driving event at a rally school track here in Norway.

Will try to post a few pics once I have the last few headaches resolved. Watch this space and wish me luck!

Cheers
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Sounds good, all proper rebuilds always take long and cost more than you plan - it's the nature of the beast! Especially when you want to do it right. Look forwards to more updates.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS