M Plate 1.8LS Saloon

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
cavalier1990

M Plate 1.8LS Saloon

Post by cavalier1990 »

Finally decided to make a thread up for this especially since I decided not to scrap it - after stripping it half to bits ready for scrapper - anyway I have done a good chunk of the welding, some of it rushed and a bit blow holey but majority of it done, just one little bit on rear chassis leg.

Originally had posted a thread below offering it for bits:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14592&p=153875#p153875

But decided against it, even though it needed a lot of bodywork I just couldn't see yet another cavy go to the scrappers. I have a welder, can weld, plenty of experience rebuilding lots of oldies, so thought where's my excuse!

I will post pics up in due course once I get them off my phone. next few days or so. Last few weeks been unable to do any work on it due to pish weather. Hope to get a day or two before xmas and get it all done early in NY.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: M Plate 1.8LS Saloon

Post by James McGrath »

Excellent news, glad to hear it's being saved. :thumb
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Some images of work

1) The rust on thr F/O/S wheelwell

2) reapirs to F/N/S Inner wheelwell

3) F/O/S repair to inner wheelarch chassis leg bit, this was one big panel, went right from brake pipe fixing to where little vertical lip is behind wing.

4) Repair to thhe floor above where fuel tank hanger bracket is:

5) Other spring seat repair on Chassis:

6) Spring seat on Chassis repair again looking up at it:

7) Rust on fuel tank filler neck:

8) Rust under the axle spring plate:

9) Where the spring seat came off the chassis:

10) Fix at end ofback of sill:

11) New plate on back of R/N/S of sill:

12) More forward view of plate on sill:
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Good work there, good to see another being saved. Look forward to seeing the progress on this one.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

vauxhallnutter wrote:Good work there, good to see another being saved. Look forward to seeing the progress on this one.
Cheers vauxhallnutter, hope to get some work on it soon as need it back on road as my workhorse; rain has been incessant, plus it's xmas time and been drunk :) and have just added a diplomat to the fold, so not much getting done to it just now!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

A busy man!!
But all for two very good causes.

Saving two Cavaliers - almost worthy of saint-hood.

Your welding may not be the prettiest, but it is way tidier than I could do.
Structural strength and material integrity is what matters.

Good work - hopefully an inspiration to many others to break out the welder - or to find someone else to do it for them.
GLC

Post by GLC »

Well done on saving it rather than breaking it up. Far too many Cavs have gone that way for alot less.

Look forward to seeing the updates. :)

I really must get mine sorted as it's been off the road for 10 months now, been far too long already.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:A busy man!!
But all for two very good causes.

Saving two Cavaliers - almost worthy of saint-hood.

Just a cup o coffee and a digestive would keep me good :)

Your welding may not be the prettiest, but it is way tidier than I could do.
Structural strength and material integrity is what matters.

Good work - hopefully an inspiration to many others to break out the welder - or to find someone else to do it for them.
Cheers Robsey, yeah welding was a bit patchy in many places although I done a hum dinger of a weld line on the axle spring plate with the power on full, no worries about melting through the axle steel, love the high amp bzzzztt sound when on full power, sounds like your really doing something that matters.

Getting some more stuff done now, which I am about to report below.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

GLC wrote:Well done on saving it rather than breaking it up. Far too many Cavs have gone that way for alot less.

Look forward to seeing the updates. :)

I really must get mine sorted as it's been off the road for 10 months now, been far too long already.
That's me been off the road over a year now for work that really I could have done in a 1-2 week stretch lol! Feckin weather been grim x10 up here, no chance to get out and get stuff done, every wkend pishin down! Hopefully I'll be posting some stuff up more next couple of weeks so will inspire you to get yours done! :)
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Secured fuel pipes with new hose clips
Final sealing of some little bits of welding
Underseal all welded bits
Started to put engine back together

Dropped a collet and spent half an hour looking all over the ground and it was in the cam carrier doowwh!

Need:
back brake pipes made up
Rubber damper for tank strap
New fan belt - the 5 strip one
Weld spring plate to axle - that'll be both sides done
Replace back brake cylinders
Install front hubs
Finish engine rebuild

Bed!
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Keep at it, Loads of work still to do by that list.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Super89 wrote:Keep at it, Loads of work still to do by that list.
Oh that list is only a bit of what I could think of lol! So here's an update with some pics. I decided to get the spring seat finished on the axle, and a wee bit of the rear chassis leg, then that would be welding DONE!

I also gave the other weld areas another coat of underseal. After that I decided to try and get one of the struts on. I had replaced the front suspension arm already and the ABS ring on the driveshaft, all I had to do was replace the back shield on the hub, which had rotted to virtually nothing then pop the hub on. Sounds simple right?

Well I knocked the disc off - plastic hammer of course, then knocked the hub spline thing out with a socket from the back, and of course out popped the bearing runner. Then used my impact driver on the 2 chunky phillips screws holding what was remaining on the shield, first one loosened fine, second one was looking a bit ropey and indeed the impact just mashed it. So in a he man couldn't give a sh*t type of way I got the hammer and chisel out and knocked the top right off it. Kind of daft cause I reckon I could have got it moving however had no heat on hand.

So about an hour later I had broke 4 drills and finally got the stud out, struggled to find a screw to fit and put a thread in it so dug out a ten mil long nut and bolt, flattened the back of the hub where the hole is with grinder then flung that on.

Next job: Try and rebuild bearing, had a look and noticed the bearing had rust starting in it from lying about in dampness, so plummed for changing it; I put the hub back in hand pressure and when turning it sounded and felt very gruff. Could I get the circlips out oh boy doing this with no assistant and no big vice is one big PITA but I got it in the end.

Finally knock bearing out with chisel and then crawl home lol! So even though I was working my ass off I felt like I really hadn't moved forward much, more like stripped more bits off. Ok it'll be worth it in the long run. I never took any pics of bearing was too busy but while spraying underseal on.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Them last few pics look a bit poorly, but I have always found that rust looks worse in photos than in real life.

Some excellent progress there.
Hopefully - once these jobs are done, you should get 3 to 5 years before you have to do any follow up work.
Although an annual check over should keep trouble at bay.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:Them last few pics look a bit poorly, but I have always found that rust looks worse in photos than in real life.

Some excellent progress there.
Hopefully - once these jobs are done, you should get 3 to 5 years before you have to do any follow up work.
Although an annual check over should keep trouble at bay.
Axle is peppered with spots of rust and the spring seats were pretty bad, that last pic, above the spring plate, is actually the driveway where all the flakes of rust are lying (plus my fag doubts and crap, as axle is still out of car, that won't pretty up the picture. could be doing with a new axle or full refurb of the old one. Still seems structurally solid enough in the areas that matter, weld joins and main bar side to side. I'll be filling my pants the first few miles back on the road in case I jettison a spring lol :)
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

list of parts on their way.

Front bearing kit (this, servo hose and wheel are what is needed more than anything, other stuff is cosmetic)
Servo hose
Fuel pipe clips
Licence plate lamp
New handbrake cover
Side repeater lamps
Another 14" steel wheel
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Managed to get a good bit of work done this weekend:

Top end of engine nearly built up except little vacuum pipes on air filter and bolts for manifold shield to acquire. New front O/S bearing in, new alternator belt (phew!), and double phew for water pump and cambelt tensioner; Back axle in but need new rear shocks as mashed top of one trying to loosen in with mole grips as seized solid. Need new discs and pads as mine are rotten after lying so long, and perhaps calipers too as they are really rusty, I can knock big lumps of rust off of them.

Close up of carb

View of engine

Front strut on

Rear axle on

Next order is:

Exhaust manifold bolts M8 x25
Inlet manifold shield bolts M6 x 10
Front pads and discs
Front calipers exchange or new
Vacuum pipe elbow
Back shockers
Tank mount rubber damper block

While underneath I discovered sump is starting to rust, I only replaced it about 2 years ago FFS but copy part not gen!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Today fitted the new bolts onto exhaust heat shield, fitted down pipe (what a pig to hold in place and put first bolt in), tidied up the remaining vac pipes and air box and dizzy and leads. Got a bit heroic and tried to start it with a squirt of the old WD down the throat to see if it would kick but battery is humped, need to resalvage the original battery from senator and put back in this.

Put order in for discs, pads and shocks. Still need to decide whether to just plum with original calipers, refurbish with new seals or just tidy them up and make sure they are free moving. They are a wee bit sticky having been unused for over a year but should free off a bit using the big pump pliers.

Something I'm getting a bit concerned about is the clutch. I tried to move fork by hand today, which I used to be able to do. You put hand under battery tray round the fork and just push it bearing in mind where your knuckles are if it suddenly jumps, both on inwards and outward movement. I need to get clutch cable back on and try it as I am worried it was feeling a little sticky. Hope it's not seized up anywhere.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Starting to replace flexi pipes and brakes tonight. Spent a bit of time cleaning up caliper on O/S by chipping surface rust off, then checking caliper is not seized up. Thankfully everything seems fine. It's lucky I was changing the flexis as this one appears to be breaking in half at the metal section. Not sure if you can see it in the picture below, the clamp round the pipe is also nearly disintegrated!

Put new flexi on and caliper holder, then discovered I'd wrong pads, they looked the same but were too short, so back in the box and order new ones.

Pic of the engine with new manifold shield etc.

Just need to tie up the rear brake pipes and have fitted new rear brake cylinder. First time I've seen a brake cylinder held on by one 10mm bolt? Who'd a thunk it!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Great progress.

New manifold shield looks great.
I picked one up at Billing last year, still haven't fitted it yet.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

James McGrath wrote:Great progress.

New manifold shield looks great.
I picked one up at Billing last year, still haven't fitted it yet.
Thanks it does look quite good and stands out against the general grubbiness of the rest of the engine. Only wish I had the time to go round it all and detail it.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

New dampers (GM) and brake cylinders fitted:

O/S damper - plus really rusty backplate. Canny source the back plates for drums so might swap to discs at some point in near future.

For some reason I had the brake pipes from front to back feeding up right into the bracket on chassis rather than looping round so the flexi can go on the back duh! Luckily had some extra length in the pipes and just swapped them around and secured the flexi.

I will also need to get the ends on both back brake pipes changed as I thought one end was the 13 mm female connector - doh again!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Next job tonight. Strip strut off of N/S. Originally I had bust the ABS sensor on this side and decided just to put an old driveshaft on it from my pre ABS cav that I scrapped. As this was one of the things I wanted to fix, since having ABS on 3 wheels is probably more unsafe than having none, I got new ABS toothed O ring, a new sensor and dug out my original driveshaft.

Turns out the driveshaft boot was split at the very back where it sits on the centre shaft. I plan to change over the boot from my driveshaft pre ABS as the gaiter is pretty new.

Knocked the old O ring off then took of the strut just to get it out the way. I've also ordered correct pads so will need to change over driveshaft boot then rebuild it with new O ring and plonk back together with new pads, discs and flexi pipe.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Progressing nicely.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Done a wee bit today, fixed the ABS wires in around back axle, tightened up fuel filter mount and stripped out wipers to find this dastardly water leak. So with the presence of rust absent in the suspected area, apart from the apron bit of the bulkhead, which doesn't lead inside car (see the hole I poked in it?), I discovered the join along the side of where water drains into inner wing was actually dried out, so I picked this out and rammed a screwdriver into the join to prove a point!

Here's the pic where the water finds its way into:

I could see the screwdriver poke into the bit under the dash where the water lines were running down.

Granted I don't think this is a lot of water but accumulates over time and has nowhere to go other than soak into the underfelt, which as we all know is a big sponge.

I'll likely reseal the passenger side for good measure.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Came in to another delivery, and hopefully final delivery, of 2x CV boots:

Nest step is fit CV boot, fit ABS ring, plop shaft back in, hub on, discs and pads on and boom we're rolling, well not quite last few jobs are brake pipes, one at F/N/S and 2 rears, seal up bulkhead, fit interior and then good to go.

And in other news I bought this:

So I can fit the proper CV boot fasteners, not tie wraps. Although it looks simple enough to use there seems to be a kind of pivot thing in the middle, not sure what that does but will sus it out.