My 46k 2.0 LS Cavalier

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: My 46k 2.0 LS Cavalier

Post by 3cav3 »

Getting the car ready for the show tomorrow, I've fitted the original first aid kit and hazard triangle that I've managed to obtain.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mk3alan wrote:Looks so much better - I've used black felt tip pen on mine before now, must change!

Alan

Done that before! Looks great until it dries up.... :|
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

That looks really nice and authentic, the first aid kit, etc. Something you don't tend to see nowadays.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Original dealer fit extras FTW!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I've 2 of these early type first aid kits and one hazard triangle. The later gm blue type were much easier and cheaper to source for my van. Just need to track down one more Vauxhall hazard triangle now for the White cavalier.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Just a minor update, haven't really done a lot for months as it simply hasn't needed anything at all. Put it in for its mot on Friday with no prep what so ever, and it passed again with no advisories at all. The tester commented how clean it was underneath, with just a thumb nail size of surface rust by the bulkhead that I will treat as soon as the weather improves.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Well done on the MOT pass :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Excellent news again.
Congrats on the pass.

Without tempting fate, it looks like you dropped very lucky when you bought this car.
Two consecutive MOT passes and no advisories.
I can't think when mine did that last.
Probably 15 years ago - ha ha.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:Excellent news again.
Congrats on the pass.

Without tempting fate, it looks like you dropped very lucky when you bought this car.
Two consecutive MOT passes and no advisories.
I can't think when mine did that last.
Probably 15 years ago - ha ha.
Definitely the best car I've ever bought. I've purchased nearly new cars in the past, then spent thousands maintaining them. Im sure I only paid 600 quid for this one ( I know people who pay nearly this in finance payments every month)and to date bar servicing I've haven't spent a penny.
When I drove it home there was a slight judder on the clutch, this if anything has improved. It always starts, even after standing for a few weeks. (Touch wood quickly).
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

This is why I will always prefer classics to modern plastics. Simple as that.
Previous:

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Due to a change in circumstances this car as of today has been pressed into daily use, it's almost to good for that, but needs must... It'll be interesting to see how it holds up- particularly as it'll be my wife driving it, I'm saying nothing about women drivers, lol.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Probably be good for it to be used for a white.
I know none of my cars have any trouble being used as daily drivers.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

James McGrath wrote:Probably be good for it to be used for a white.
I'm sure mechanically its up to it, just such a shame the roads that it'll be used on are narrow country lanes covered in mud, then it's getting parked all day in a school playground. Due to the house purchase I'm not really in the position at the moment to buy an old run around so this is going to have to bare the brunt of it.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote:
James McGrath wrote:Probably be good for it to be used for a white.
I'm sure mechanically its up to it, just such a shame the roads that it'll be used on are narrow country lanes covered in mud, then it's getting parked all day in a school playground. Due to the house purchase I'm not really in the position at the moment to buy an old run around so this is going to have to bare the brunt of it.
Good idea to wash all that mud off the rear arches and underbelly on a regular basis to keep the old tin worm at bay.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Getting a bit fed up having to spend over a hour each weekend polishing all the hedge row scratches out( like I said a woman driver) plus it seems to be drinking £25+ a week of that liquid gold more commonly referred to as petrol, despite doing just over 100 miles, ( on a long run I seem to get over 30mpg but the roads this is being used on are terrible)so tomorrow morning I'm going to bite the bullet and have a look at a diesel fiat panda. Don't worry I'll still hang on to this car but am unsure what that means for my white one.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

A basic cheap car is all she needs if she is less than careful how she treats the cars in her charge.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:A basic cheap car is all she needs if she is less than careful how she treats the cars in her charge.
It's about 50% her and 50% the type of roads she's driving on. All I do know this one is to good to subject to continued bad treatment. The problem with her is in her eyes a car is just a means of getting from a-b, nothing more.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thankfully my Cavalier can now go back into semi retirement, as I managed to buy the little diesel Fiat. At least its nothing special(cost less than I earn in a fourtnight) so she can destroy it to her hearts content, whilst getting at least 60mpg. Also only cost £30 for a whole year to tax, that's almost what the Cavalier costs a month!
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Bet the old girl (Cav not wife, possibly both?) can breath a sigh of relief!

Alan
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Mk3alan wrote:Bet the old girl (Cav not wife, possibly both?) can breath a sigh of relief!

Alan
you can say that again, lol. As a reward I'm going to take her up the unit(not a metaphor) and give her another full service this morning.- you can never give a car to many oil changes in my opinion. When it's not so hot I'll also give her a full clay baring and wax again.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Just a little update. I had to temporarily sorn the old girl whilst sorting out money for the bank / mortgage. On sat I got fed up seeing it just sitting there for the last 2 months. I rang Adrian flux and thought their quote of £150 a year fully comp for me and the wife on a classic policy with an agreed value of £1500 was a good price. Not so good was the £44 deposit for the road tax.
Can't believe how good it felt to be back behind the wheel again. She fired up first turn of the key after all that time. Not bad for something that only cost me £600 over two years ago!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Excellent -
You just can't resist the lure of a Cavalier...
It is like an addiction. :love

That is my excuse for blowing the budget on the jalopy. :shock:
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Excellent news!
Well done for sticking with it and getting her back on the road.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Just put the old girl in for her mot today and she passed yet again with no advisories, almost unbelievable for such an old car.
Now I'm not complaining for a second ( really chuffed that I found such a good one) but part of the reason I bought this car was to have an ongoing project. My van is going to be a slow burner so yesterday I purchased another car that I've wanted for a long time. I will reveal it in the non cavalier section over Christmas. Suffice to say it's the polar opposite to this cav so hopefully something to get my teeth into.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ooh you big tease.

Your Cavalier is obviously a rare beastie.
About 95% of them demand constant drainage of the bank account.

Although I have cut up my cards to avoid un-necessary spending.

Looking forward to seeing what you call "the polar opposite".