My 46k 2.0 LS Cavalier

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: My 46k 2.0 LS Cavalier

Post by Robsey »

The only way to know, is to look for similar models in similar condition.

Cavaliers are very popular now, so a good original car in good overall condition should command quite a nice price.

Corrosion being the worst item to pull down prices.

They also command better prices in Ireland than they do in the (rest of the) UK.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Don't sell your cav, use it!

Only last week, on my one day a week shopping trip I had 2 people admire my cav :D . We talked in length - at a distance.
First one on the street at my home, the second at Lidl.

How many people are going to have fond childhood memories of a jag, a sign of tory opulence?
Sell everything else and use the cav as your daily. It's economical and low mileage, you know what to expect needs done from the forum as the miles advance....

I guess it depends on what you want from a car. Image or reality? :scratch

A detached cottage sounds idyllic :love . I' love that.
I hope you get your dream- without sacrificing the cav :)
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I agree with everything you say. As a daily due to needing an auto for town traffic ( all the cartilage has been removed from my left knee) the cavalier wouldn't really cut it, however I don't give two hoots about image, I buy what I like not what fashion dictates, the Jag was just so comfortable, hence the reason I bought it.
Since putting the post on the forum I think I've just done a deal with a farmer where I will service his hydraulic breaker( what I do for a living) and in return he will let me store my cavalier in his barn. Sounds a fair swap to me.
For the meantime then she will stay SORN and hopefully return to the road in a few years time. So long as it doesn't deteriate this is my preferred solution as it's one of those cars that's just too good to sell. My other white one, even though on paper it seemed to have the same sort of pedigree, it just wasn't half the car this one is, hence why I had no real problem letting it go to cover part of the solicitors bill when I bought my current house. Also Im still very wary selling a car after the dickhead and the Volvo C70 incident.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sounds like a plan.
At least the Cavalier is safe for now.
Hopefully not a barn find of the future.
We all know how time flies in the blink of an eye.

As for the Volvo saga...
I think this is why I never sold any of my cars.
I have either kept, part-ex'd to a car supermarket or scrapped my cars.
Also why I never sell via ebay. Too many idiots and chancers.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

A busy morning.
Due to a lot of reasons, including the pandemic and to a certain extent me not getting my arse into gear I never got round to moving this cav up to the farm.
Recently I've been getting plagued by pikeys wanting to buy her for scrap! So have been considering returning the old girl back to the road. The first thing I looked into was insurance, and got a pleasant shock, Lancaster insurance quoted me £124 for myself and my wife on a 5000 mile policy with an agreed value of £2k.
So before they could change their mind I took it out, at least now they are covering the theft risk.
Next up I placed a cheaky offer on a new window motor and won it. Following that as the last time I tried to move it the rear brakes were seized I rang my local motor factors on the off chance they could get a set of shoes, to my surprise they had some on the shelf, only £14 delivered within the hour.
Hopefully soon I'll be able to get it Motd. Watch this space.....
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am watching in eager anticipation.
:thumb

I like a good bargain or a cheeky low bid.
8-)
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The new window motor arrived today . There's always something really nice about getting genuine NOS in its original packaging.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Good to hear you've had a change of heart, looking forward to seeing the progress :thumb
Nos parts at a good price are getting hard to find, well done on your cheeky bid, mine usually get rejected!

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Good to hear you've had a change of heart, looking forward to seeing the progress :thumb
Nos parts at a good price are getting hard to find, well done on your cheeky bid, mine usually get rejected!
Mine do to but i find it's often worth a try particularly if it's been for sale for a long time.
I never wanted to sell this car but at the time felt I had no option. It's one of those cars that really is too good to ever part with.
Just worried now it's on the pikeys radar that I'll get home one night and find it gone. Hopefully once they can see it's no longer sorn they may just leave it alone.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Mot booked for the 10th, better get cracking.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

I've found with some eBay bids that your lowish bid stays as the potential winner until literally 20 seconds before bidding ends, then someone gets in with a bid just a few £s (or even £1) more and there is no time left for you to increase your bid.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

chrisp wrote:I've found with some eBay bids that your lowish bid stays as the potential winner until literally 20 seconds before bidding ends, then someone gets in with a bid just a few £s (or even £1) more and there is no time left for you to increase your bid.
Guilty :wave

I haven't done this for a couple of years now and rarely on car parts but if you really want to win it, here's the method.

Watch the item but don't bid. When the countdown gets to a minute refresh the page (note how long it takes) then type in your max amount but still don't bid, I usually ended mine with a random 29p, 87p or whatever comes into your head at the time, forget 99p or low zeros - most people do that. As long as you're willing to go a good bit higher in pounds than the current bid you should be fine, most people who are winning only up their automatic bid by five or six quid so close to the end.

The last minute's the nerve-wracking/exciting bit.
Your connection speed will dictate how long to hold off before placing your bid, in my case 15-12 seconds, serious butterflies in the stomach time!
It's around 99% effective (but don't tell anyone :lol: )

Apologies 3cav3, didn't mean to hijack your thread :oops:

matt

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

She's alive! Not bad for a nearly 27 year old car. Connected the battery back up and about 10 secs later she was running! No way a modern car would do that after over a years slumber. A couple of almighty wacks on the rear wheels with a copper hammer soon had the brakes freed up. Ran a little bit lumpy and a small bit of smoke for a couple of minutes but is now purring like a kitten.
Will sort the window out tomorrow, only bad point I could find is the back of the near side sill will probably need a small bit of attention soon. For the mot I'll just treat it with some rust killer and stone chip, then come the nicer weather I'll probably splice an inch off a replacement sill in before it gets bad.
Going round the car everything seems to work, even the central locking, strangely before it was layed up the drivers side rear door didn't lock on pressing the button but does now with all the others.
Will also give her a full service aswell so she can be pressed back into daily service if needed.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Managed to get the door striped out today, judging by the water sheet no one had been in there before. Even though the connector was 6 pin it was still different to the new one. As it wouldn't work I fitted the motor to the old regulator but still no joy. The fuse is ok and the passenger side works fine, does anyone have any thoughts as to where to look next?
As a temporary measure I've wedged the window in the up position.
As it was still running slightly hesitant I treated the old girl to £40 worth of super and it does appear to of cleared it. I'm guessing the old fuel in the tank had gone off slightly.
Above picture is onroute to a pre booked mot so I can legally drive it on the road as it's insured.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The rear of the passenger side sill has gone a little scabby, it's not through yet but I haven't got time until my van is done to weld it up so have done this temporary repair. It's a sad day as until now this car hasn't had any paint since leaving Luton in 1994, hopefully this small patch up will buy me some time to carry out a proper repair.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

At least the window is closed for now. Still think she looks presentable in the sun.
[url=https://postimg.cc/mPdpVwFy]Image[/url
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I can only suggest the thick red wire in the loom between the door frame and the door.

It may have snapped hidden by the insulation. Caused by flexing of the loom when the door is opened and closed on a regular basis.

Or a dirty / corroded connector pin...

If you have puddle lights, then this should not work either if the red wire is broken.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:I can only suggest the thick red wire in the loom between the door frame and the door.

It may have snapped hidden by the insulation. Caused by flexing of the loom when the door is opened and closed on a regular basis.

Or a dirty / corroded connector pin...

If you have puddle lights, then this should not work either if the red wire is broken.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check the power feed on the red wire, sadly being base spec this car has no such luxuries as puddle lights.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

In my experience with electric windows it's the regulator that goes not the motor, you can open the control box that you put the plug into & the control board slides out & you can just replace that.
Does yours have the one touch open / close function ?
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I think it had one touch, but to be honest with you its been so long since I've driven it, I can't be certain.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it is an LS, it should have one-touch (short press) powered front windows.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The operating buttons are weirdly by the handbrake on every other vauxhall that I've seen they are in the door.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

3cav3 wrote:The operating buttons are weirdly by the handbrake.
On every other vauxhall that I've seen they are in the door.
I know - it confuses me like hell when I swap between cars, and I cannot feel the buttons due to being in the "wrong" car.

At least my van has manual winder handles... remember those things? :shock:
Sheesh - we were barbaric in the 80's :lol:
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

My MK2 Astra van does and so does this cav in the back. Manual windows were the best, although it's been a long time since I've had a car with them in the front. I doubt you could even buy a new car with manual windows these days, would save a lot of problems. Other things I miss are manual chokes,plus my first car still had points and condenser, I bet that would stump most modern garages. I can remember being a skint 17 year old having to file the surfaces flat as I couldn't afford a fiver for a new set, lol.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:11 am
3cav3 wrote:The operating buttons are weirdly by the handbrake.
On every other vauxhall that I've seen they are in the door.
I know - it confuses me like hell when I swap between cars, and I cannot feel the buttons due to being in the "wrong" car.

At least my van has manual winder handles... remember those things? :shock:
Sheesh - we were barbaric in the 80's :lol:
Used to call them keep fit windows! Same when you had no power steering on most cars, had a maestro 1.6 and it was really heavy at low speed, so pumped the tyres up a bit!