My 46k 2.0 LS Cavalier

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: My 46k 2.0 LS Cavalier

Post by Robsey »

Hmm weeping oil from the gearbox.

There are three potential sources...

1 - Rear crank shaft seal behind the flywheel.
If it is this, the oil will be somewhere between golden honey colour and black.
It will normally weep from the joint of the bell housing or if you have F16 / F20 gearbox it will probably show on the clutch inspection hatch cover.

2 - The other leaks would be a red to brown coloured fluid
Potential leak sites are drive-shaft seals,
Or the bottom cover gasket.

The original quoted fluid for the F16, F18 and F20 boxes is 1.9 litres of SAE80 EP.
Vauxhall part number 90 188 629.

There is a level plug on the side of the gearbox between the rear mount and the drive shaft.
Looking at the box with the rear mount to the left. Or as if looking out through the passenger side wheel arch.

If you look at the drive-shaft where it enters the box, you will see 5 hex bolt heads in a ring all the same distance from the shaft.
There will be one further hex head bolt at the 7 or 8 o'clock position close to the rear mount.

This is the level plug screw.
Oil is up to the correct level when it is just high enough to dribble out of this hole.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Ok, thanks for that, I'll have a look for the level plug next weekend. It looks like it's the gasket on the bottom, but as its only a weep( hasn't even stained the drive yet) I will live with it till the weather gets warmer- I'm getting too old to lie under cars in the cold!
I've a bottle of ep 90 oil, is that likely to be OK for topping up?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You could use EP90, but you may find gear changes are a bit stiffer when the oil is cold.

As the oil warms up, the gear changes will become better and smoother.

I am not a techno geek on oils - this is where I would hope the salesman from Opie would give some useful advice, as I know that Opie do a lot of different oils including older specification single grade fluids.

So - to answer your question.
Yes you can top up with EP90 (GL3 or GL4 but not GL5 spec).

For further Info - I see that the part number listed above is no longer recognised by ECAT24.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Not very happy. I ordered a complete set of wheel trims at the cost of £80 off under woods via eBay, then I got a message saying they are not available,well why list then and they are still listing them now even though they have apparently got none.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

3cav3 wrote:Not very happy. I ordered a complete set of wheel trims at the cost of £80 off under woods via eBay, then I got a message saying they are not available,well why list then and they are still listing them now even though they have apparently got none.

Give genuine part search a try. They are listed on their website as in stock for £16.72 each, but give them a call first before ordering.

The part number for your current 1994 spec LS/1993 spec GLS trims is 90445434.
I used to have a set on my LS until I reverted to the correct 1993 spec LS trims.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

GPS quote only one in stock.

I know this because I have wondered whether to go the original trim route.
Mine have 20 years of scuffs on them,
or to fit refurbed Diplomat alloys.

They do an alternative with a darker centre emblem for about £23 each.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thanks for that. Do you have the alternative part number please?
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Yeah, it's 90496011 for the ones with the black badge.
They were fitted to the 1995 model year envoy.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is probably more like the 1993 version.
The badge does not dip in in the centre.

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/part/1/3 ... 433/10030/

Darn it, that James is good.
Managed to reply whilst I was still typing. :ugeek:
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

:p Sorry Rob.

Well you can be doubly sure the part number is right.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

A big thankyou to both of you. The ones on my car are pretty good, just a few minor marks. Not bad though for 22 years old.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I'm pleased to report she passed her strict mot today with no advisories what so ever. Scince there's been some fuss at my local mot place they test them to the letter.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Excellent news in the pass.

Now you will have 12 months to hopefully enjoy the fruits of your labours.

:thumb
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:Excellent news in the pass.

Now you will have 12 months to hopefully enjoy the fruits of your labours.

:thumb
fingers crossed, although I've done very little work scince may. After the issues I've had with my van , I didn't get chance to check her over before the test so was pleasantly surprised that it passed first time.
Over Christmas I will be carrying out a full service, it's only about 4K scince the last one but I do tend to be a bit pedantic about oil changes, and as a result I usually get some very high millages out of my vechicles. My record is just under 450k with a 405 Peugeot,years ago, only one head gasket, and believed to be the original clutch. Only parted with it as the car was literally starting to fall to pieces.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Haven't really done anything to her for a while, mainly due to nothing going wrong. Just driving and enjoying the old girl. She's now just rolled 50k, so still very low millage. The one thing that's been irritating me is a leak from the rocker cover, I'm going to order a new gasket in the week but would you fit it dry or put a smear of gasket sealant on it aswell?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have tried dry and with sealant.
Very often doesn't make much difference.
The cork soon compresses and allows the seepage to start.

I believe the best results are achieved by smearing a thin coat of sealant on one side of the gasket only.
The most important point is not to over-tighten the cover bolts.

Mine has been leaking for a fair while, but I have never done it previously on this engine in the 6 years it has been fitted. -
so I ought to replace the gasket and test the theory again.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote:Haven't really done anything to her for a while, mainly due to nothing going wrong. Just driving and enjoying the old girl. She's now just rolled 50k, so still very low millage. The one thing that's been irritating me is a leak from the rocker cover, I'm going to order a new gasket in the week but would you fit it dry or put a smear of gasket sealant on it aswell?
3Cav, I always suffered leaks on the cavy gaskets. I think it comes down to never knowing when to stop tightening the bolts lol. I find you tighten them just a nip, then check a few days later and they are loose again, then a few months later you check and they are loose again.

What I found has worked so far is firstly get the proper vx gasket for a start - 90412303 should be it, then apply sealant around the rocker cover and stick it on to the cover, then grease the bottom facing bit and bob's your uncle. Only recheck to tighten once after heating engine up and let it cool then check it, don't be tempted to keep tightening it. Tighten only sparingly until you see the gasket sort of squash a bit.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Due to fitting the rear seat conversion into my van I never did service the cav over Xmas. So I have just ordered 6 service sets from my local motor factors,( they had 3 in stock) - as I get a good discount through using them trade for the last 20 years. Looking forward to finally doing some work on the old girl as one of the reasons I bought it was as a mini project, yet I've had to do almost nothing to her. Normally my cars are the exact opposite. Ie spend a lot buying them then even more always having to fix them.
I've also been talking to a mate of mine who used to own a body shop and still does a bit on the side. He's reckons about £300 to remove the cars minor blemishes. I'm very tempted, if it was just me driving it then I definatley would go for it, yet my wife drives it a couple of times a week and to put it politely she can be a bit accident prone! What's your thoughts?
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Well today I finally bit the bullet and have purchased another Cavalier. This time a phase one model. Lets hope this one turns out to be as good!
I'll start another thread once its home.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Managed to obtain an original first aid kit, Imagejust need the original warning triangle now.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Gotta love that OE goodness!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Finaly after owning the car for over a year, after recommendations on here, ive fixed the non working light in the key.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Today I finally did something about the gearstick gaitor. As you can see the old one was a little rough round the edges. On the first attempt, it kept popping off whilst driving. So I had to trim a little bit off the edges- guess that's one of the joys of using pattern parts. Just got to get another cable tie from work when im next in as had to cut it off to make the adjustment. Its these little jobs that to me make all the difference. Will have to have a go at the handbrake next.

Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Looks so much better - I've used black felt tip pen on mine before now, must change!

Alan
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Mk3alan wrote:Looks so much better - I've used black felt tip pen on mine before now, must change!

Alan
This was just a cheap kit off ebay. Bought it months ago, but never got round to fitting it.