My 46k 2.0 LS Cavalier

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: My 46k 2.0 LS Cavalier

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:Ooh you big tease.

Your Cavalier is obviously a rare beastie.
About 95% of them demand constant drainage of the bank account.

Although I have cut up my cards to avoid un-necessary spending.

Looking forward to seeing what you call "the polar opposite".
Not that I'm bragging but looking through the mot history the last time she even had advisory was 2011 and only ever one fail in 2006. Probably next year she will fail in style, lol.
I think with the new car I'm going to have cut up my cards too. It was the cheapest example in the country on a car that is very high spec with lots of electrics. Could be bankruptcy on the horizon but at least I'll have fun in the process. I'll sort the photos out when I'm off over Christmas.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Due to the wife's car suffering total brake failure the old girl has had to be pressed back into service at a moment's notice. She started instantly even though it hadn't been touched since the mot. I cringe at the thought of all that mud and salt getting sprayed over the arches for the next week, and cringe even more at the thought of my wife being behind the wheel...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Oh dear...
Just tell your wife to take a week off from work.

She will have no need to drive your car then. ;)
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:Oh dear...
Just tell your wife to take a week off from work.

She will have no need to drive your car then. ;)
Yes, I wish I could get her to have a week off, but unfortunately working in a school means she can only have half terms off.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Yet again this poor old girl is having to be pressed back into daily service as unfortunately last night my wife's little panda was totaled. For once not her fault, the other driver apparently turned round to look at what his kids were doing yet carried on crossing the main road right into the side of her. At least no one was hurt and also it wasn't the Cav. Just really don't like the idea of all that salt yet again getting blasted into the old girls arches whilst I try to source a replacement.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I think the important thing is that your wife is okay.
Shame about the Panda, but at least there are lots of replacement Fiat roller-skates about, so should take you too long to source a replacement.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Might be worth sourcing a set of mud flaps for her.
Putting them on the front really helps to keep the dirt off the sills.

Do you have a daily driver? I'd be tempted to tell her to drive that and take the Cav myself :lol:
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:I think the important thing is that your wife is okay.
Shame about the Panda, but at least there are lots of replacement Fiat roller-skates about, so should take you too long to source a replacement.
you say that but a good diesel one is a very rare beast. Most of the ones out there have been run on a shoestring and have knackered engines as a result. It is good that shes ok and that's all that really matters but still loads of hassle that I could do with out.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

James McGrath wrote:Might be worth sourcing a set of mud flaps for her.
Putting them on the front really helps to keep the dirt off the sills.

Do you have a daily driver? I'd be tempted to tell her to drive that and take the Cav myself :lol:
Mudflaps are always a double edged sword for me as I've had cars in the past rot out where the flaps trap dirt. Unfortunately apart from the Cav the only other car that she's insured on is the Jag and it's to big really for the roads that she drives on plus she doesn't do automatics. My daily driver is my work van and my boss won't insure her on it otherwise I'd gladly give her that.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I've never had a problem with mudflaps on my Cavs.
My LS has had them fitted at the front since new and has covered 206,000 miles without any rust appearing.

Depends how well they are fitted.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Having a nightmare sorting the insurance out, but at least I have sourced another good little fiat. Means I can save this Cav from the winter roads will get a pic tomorrow of how bad a state it has got into in just 3 days use.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Just realized the old girl has been sitting for the last 4 months. After charging the battery, she fired up fine. Looking through the paperwork I noticed that the mot has also just expired, but unfortunately the rear brakes have siezed on even though the hand brake was left off. Will have to have a slap on the wrist for being so neglectful and see if I can free them off without taking the drums off. Then get it booked in and hopefully not get a fail.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure it is easy to forget stuff like MOTs and the-like when the car is not your daily driver.

As for sticking drums,
A good whallop with a mallet (not a hammer of course), should hopefully shock things loose again.

Shame the MOT has run out, as you would ideally wish to go for a short drive to allow the shoes to 'scrub' the drums clean again inside.
Maybe drive the long way round to the test centre.
The rest can be checked on the drive.
Lights, horn, washers and wipers...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The rules state that it has to be a pre-booked test, but states nothing about it being the closest test centre,lol.
Just got to sort out the insurance first. Just hope I can get a decent price as have had two no fault accidents ( one was my wife driving on my insurance) and the highway men- sorry meant to say insurance
companies use this as an excuse to really load the premium! My Astra Van trebled after the first one with several companies refusing cover on a van with rear seats.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sadly it is down to good old ringing round a few of the insurers.

I spoke to my insurers when returning the car to the road after restoration.
I got a great deal despite a car valuation "Upto £75,000"
Wowsers!!

I keep seeing myself return to Swinton Insurance for this reason.
Good old fashioned over the phone insurance cover. With no hitches, catches or hidden get-out clauses.

I do not take the mickey - I set the car value at £1200. It is modestly rot free but not a desirable trim level with very high mileage and not in show-room condition.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Got a bit of a strange one with the Cav this morning. When I went out in the garden, there was no glass in the driver's door. Initially I thought that some scrout had put it through, but there was no broken glass. Walking over the glass was wound down, (electric so doesn't work without the key) All other functions are working ok, but the window doesn't go back up and there's a funny taping type noise coming from the door.
Does anyone have any ideas what has caused this and more importantly how can get the window up in advance of the storm that's due to hit in the am so I can get the car water proof?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If there is a tapping noise, then maybe a gear tooth has worn / broken off.

How long is it since the car was last used?
If it is quite a while, maybe the glass is stuck in it's runner.

It is very odd though.

Have you tried pulling the fuse, waiting a minute, refit the fuse, and see if the lifter control is now okay again.

Chances are, that something has come adrift.
Time to take the door card off and take a look inside.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I have to add the car did this itself, no human intervention,the window was down when I got up this morning. I've tried disconnecting the battery. With the battery on the ticking noise is again doing it by itself. Almost as if the car has been taken over by aliens.
As it's now dark I've had to tape a sheet over it for tonight but need to fix it asap. Was going to take it for it's mot next week.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Did you get this sorted?
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

At the moment I'm sad to say no. I tested the switch for continuity and since then I've been looking out for a reasonably priced drivers door motor, I turned up lots of passenger side ones but only new drivers side. I can only assume that moisture had got past the door seal and caused a direct short.
I was going to temporarily wedge the window upwards and take the old girl for an MOT,( the brakes freed off with a big hammer and a block of wood) however due to the covid 19 this may have to wait a few months.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you have a short,
Look for damaged wires in the loom between the door frame and the door.

When I did my hatch, there were loads of damaged wires, and the hatch isn't opened / closed half as often as the drivers door.

Just a thought...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Definitely worth checking thank you Robsey, I hadnt thought of that, perhaps if the weather is anywhere near over Easter weekend I'll pop the door card off and have a look and trace the loom back.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it is the loom itself, it will be external to the door, and so the door card can stay on.

It is a bit of a bugger though getting the rubber sheath off and back onto the door connector.

To unplug the connector from the door, simply grip the knurled ring and turn it anti-clockwise.
Then pull out the plug.
It is a bit like a bayonet fitting.
Only turns so far to release and to latch again.

Then have a good look for the damaged wire.

I will post up a map of the plug to help you spot the relevant pins and wires.

See here.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=6535
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Once again, thanks.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Does anyone know if under the current circumstances that it is recommended as safe to have an MOT carried out?