My cav turbo work in progress

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Sevs13

My cav turbo work in progress

Post by Sevs13 »

Morning all after reading all ur treads about wot u doing to ur cavs I've decided to do a write up on my cav turbo and work I'm doing.ive owned my cav for nearly 2yrs now since owning I've not done much to her really other than change the way she looks and replaced the turbo been using as my daily but now I think it's time I show her some love ,once I've figured out how to load photos on here I'll upload photos and fill u in on how it's going so far thanks for reading
Sevs13

Re: My cav turbo work in progress

Post by Sevs13 »

Image. Image These r a couple of pics when I got the car Imagethis is it the day after I bought the car ran it for a year b4 I had wheels re done and back panel changed Image
Ads

Post by Ads »

that cav used to belong to a member on the CTOC, I cannot remember his user name, he done a lot of work that, I remember the dipped standard wheels, in the bottom picture looks almost identical to mine, Ads
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Welcome Sevs! :wave Keep the pics and updates coming.
Ads wrote:that cav used to belong to a member on the CTOC, I cannot remember his user name, he done a lot of work that, I remember the dipped standard wheels, in the bottom picture looks almost identical to mine, Ads
Here's the project thread Ads is talking about:
viewtopic.php?t=8765
Sevs13

Post by Sevs13 »

Just looked at that thread I've actually owned the car 3yrs,the car had a lot Ov different looks but at the same time was well looked after the guy I bought it from was sound
Sevs13

Post by Sevs13 »

So made a start on strip down few weeks ago so this is my progress so far started with front end 1st engine and box out front wings bumper and lights off
After stripping front end I was surprise only found 2 bits Ov welding battery tray being1 not sure wot to replace this with yet as u no mk3 cav batt trays u can't buy so I'll have to get thinking on this 1,
Also found this hole under front drivers side wing luckley it's just the out top part needs replacing
ImageHopefully when I take the wings off my doner car I can cut the section I need out Ov that
I the proceeded to remove side skirts this is were I started to get nerves but to my surprise drivers side had 1 little hole on outer sill the inner sill were bang on and passenger side had no holes on inner or outer sills which is good as the still original sills
Sevs13

Post by Sevs13 »

ImageImageImage
So I'm pretty happy so far now for strip down Ov the rear end pics will b on way shortly my boss keeps watching think he may no I'm using his time to write this thread :)
Sevs13

Post by Sevs13 »

So more of an update 2 weeks ago striped rear sub frame and fuel tank rear lights bumper
Looking bare at the bk now
Rear subframe our
ImageSo having removed everything from the rear started to have a prod around and the chassis legs looked all good both sides had a little surface rust but r all good, Image
Image Found 2 more minor holes under wheel arch at the end Ov the sill but nothing serious,I'm well happy at the moment spend today removing all the muck from underside so I can get this area ready for its new covering
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Good to see another Cav being treated to some TLC.

They keep going and going, until the bodywork gives up.
All those little holes should be quick and simple to sort.

Good work going on there :cool
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I'm sure I've seen this one before. If I'm not mistaken it used to belong to someone on here.

Looking good. Much better without that vinyl on the roof.

Good work! :thumb
Sevs13

Post by Sevs13 »

Morning all just a quick question I'm going to be using bilt Hamber products for underside just need a little advise,going to be covering the underside in hydrate 80 do I seam seal before I use bilt Humber zinc primer or do I seam seal after using zinc premier and wots the best seam sealer to use or do I stick with bilt Hamber products many thanks Steven
Sevs13

Post by Sevs13 »

So another update been laying on my back all wkend with wire wheel on my cheap drill and it's going really well,cleaned of all the dirt and seam sealer to my surprise the chassis legs are all good and the boot floor
ImageChassis legs came up really well once I cleaned Ov all the surface rust
ImageAs u can c from photo found another hole but its nothing to worrie about, I went ahead and treated one chassis leg with hydrate 80 going to check it this morn b4 I cover the rest in hydrate 80 hopefully she will be ready for 1st coat Ov premier 2mrow
Ads

Post by Ads »

looks in good nick mate, not much to worry about, went through the same with mine when I first got it about 9yrs ago, mine gets re undersealed about every two years.
Sevs13

Post by Sevs13 »

Yes she is kinda surprised me got both chassis legs and boot floor free of all old underseal and dirt today got the rest Ov the week off so bk out tommrow to grind all the little rusty bits then clean that area all down and treat with hydrate 80 fingers crossed hopefully in zinc premier by wensday then try to find a decent mobile welder to come sort the 3 bad bits I found and replace the rear panel,the one that's on is scapey and dented
Sevs13

Post by Sevs13 »

So another day over more progress,finished all the grinding down the underside of the boot area and rear chassis legs this week and treated the whole of the boot floor underside and chassis legs with hydrate ImageImage
Then today cleaned area down and treated the area with bh zinc premier and it's looking good this is after 1st coat ImageImagethis is it after 2nd coatImageImagegoing to move on to next section 2mrow thought it would be easier this way as don't really have that much space lolImagethanks for reading
Sevs13

Post by Sevs13 »

So here's an update been grinding away all week got next section done and treated and zinc premied looking very good well I'm happy here are some photos Ov wot I've been doing this week
This is wot I started with
Then after 2 days of grinding and sanding
This is it finished just got to sort end panels out and do 3 bits Ov welding at weekend then I can give it a top coatImagethen a top coat and subframe cleaned and put bk in next weekend fingers crossed
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Good progress there. What's the latest?