The Colorado Story

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Colorado

Re: The Colorado Story

Post by Colorado »

I have osteoarthritis in both knees and have been told it will get worse
I managed to source an interior that would suit me I.e. I can slide in and out of the car with no bolsters in the way. The breakers yard had the presence of mind to remove the seats and door cards as soon as the car came in the yard, and they were stored in a container. It was quite odd that the donor car was a spectral blue Colorado which had succumbed to mot failure. The interior duly fitted I can manage a lot better. Next job due was the Cambelt and waterpump. I always do the waterpump just in case. On this occasion I got my spanner man to replace the fast road cam with the original as Mrs Colorado uses the car as well and prefers it as standard
Other jobs recently carried out have been 4 fresh nexen tyres and replacement front springs.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Just spied the house name - a Grid fan?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

I used to drive them at one time. Loads of power. I did sell the nameplate just before we moved and eventually got tamar a plate from a 47 which I drove many off. Top marks for the spot!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

:D
Ex-signalman and general rail enthusiast. Just one of many interests!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Increased fuel consumption for no apparent reason. Have changed lambda sensor ln the hope of an improvement. That was a right job getting the old one out. After all that I expect an improvement
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Well it really settled down well after that. The summer gave it a good clear out taking us all down to Devon and Cornwall for a lovely break. We ended up doing a 1000 miles that week with the cavalier not having one problem. I was very pleased with the lack of road noise from the nexen tyres. I was also lucky enough to find some new old stock colorado blue/red side stripes which I have put on. It was set aside In March 2017 because I wanted to sort out the leak from the differential gasket cover and sort out some annoying corrosion.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Well while it was off the road I took the rear anti roll bar and got the ends remade on them by my friend Gary who did his a year back. On the corrosion front if you look inside the wheel arch at the rear of the sill there is what looks like a round plastic plug and mine was rusting round it and when I tried to clean it up it started to crumble so the body's hop have patched it as best they can. So I am up to the stage now where I need to take off the differential cover and will clean degrease and fit new gasket. Then refill gearbox oil. This is the omg bit because I have not done it before and am panicking. Think I need to do some reading
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Great to hear that you've still got both your Cavs.
I thought that you might have lost interest.

Good luck with fitting a new gasket.
I keep meaning to replace the gearbox oil on my LS but never seem to get round to it.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I removed my diff cover to change the oil and at the same time fitted a drain plug (posted on here) new gasket fitted and it leaked - don't overtighten the fixings!
The gasket I fitted was a smooth cardboard type, the second one I fitted had a raised rubber moulding on it which went all around the bolt holes - this one didn't leak.
Not sure the make of each but might be worth asking the supplier which they have in stock.

Alan
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Just so much has happened with my lad and his problems that I haven't had much time. Its been a case of just running the cars and hoping nothing big fails. Pleased you still have all your fleet.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Mk3alan wrote:I removed my diff cover to change the oil and at the same time fitted a drain plug (posted on here) new gasket fitted and it leaked - don't overtighten the fixings!
The gasket I fitted was a smooth cardboard type, the second one I fitted had a raised rubber moulding on it which went all around the bolt holes - this one didn't leak.
Not sure the make of each but might be worth asking the supplier which they have in stock.

Alan
Thanks Alan, I have got a genuine one from vauxhall so I am hoping to fit it and not get any leaking. I will bear In mind not to overtighten though