Cup holder mod

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
ilovedmymantas

Cup holder mod

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I was fed up looking at the twin 12v sockets and the usb one that told my phone it was charging when it was really draining :scratch
When I fitted this I was really proud of the amount of effort I had put into it. Separate fast-blow fuses for this and the dash cam were fitted behind it. It was mounted with cupboard type double spring rollers. Idea was to put fingers in sockets and pull panel out to access the fuses. That worked well.
I decided it was time for a change.
I searched my favourite Chinese site and found a suitable replacement for phone charging & accessories. A few days later, and totally random, I found a cup holder for a vw. I thought I'd try it after checking the measurements. By sheer luck it was a tight fit ,probably because of the roller fittings.
Still needs a little bit of fettling but looking good so far :)
https://youtu.be/34Rk3jTxNQM
Too tired now, more to follow........
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
belmont_dazz

Re: Cup holder mod

Post by belmont_dazz »

That looks brilliant. Something i would really like to do
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks for commenting!
One of those rare times things just "clicked".
Because I'm waiting for some bits to arrive for below the holder, and was delayed by fixing my fan motor, I've looked a bit closer.
This could be easily mounted at the top of the big oddment tray and look factory-fitted as a really subtle mod.
For those interested, I bought it here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311476735108

Shop around for better prices and /or delivery if you want, I'm only posting link out of laziness because it has more details !

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Thanks for the link, I've been mulling over this mod idea for a while.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I did a site search and was surprised this couldn't be found. Maybe cavalier owners didn't value cup holders in the good old days of 1999 - too busy partying with Prince (or was he tafkap by then :scratch )
Anyway, well worth doing, the most subtle of mods

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
C4V V6

Post by C4V V6 »

How does it attach? looks good
They say your middle name says alot about you
C4VSARCASM!V6
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Pretty damn funky!
Hmmm, where to put it.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

C4V V6 wrote:How does it attach? looks good
Not got this in permanently yet, it's sitting as is ( It works). :oops:
Originally I removed the oddment tray (console off & unclipped , I didn't want to destroy it) when I fitted my radio - I needed access to my fuse holders for the dash-cam and the added charging sockets.
I think a couple of small slots cut into the tray locking tabs will work fine with the holder (the tray itself tapers towards the back), I'm also thinking maybe a couple of short lengths of L shaped plastic, say 10mm glued along the console tabs would act as a guide.
Envoy CDX wrote:Pretty damn funky!
Hmmm, where to put it.
As a variation of the above I reckon you could cut the top off the oddment tray, at the correct angle, and the taper towards the back would act as a guide/support. Locking slots could be cut in the exposed upper section of the tray tabs.
If I'm right you could keep the oddment tray, albeit a bit shorter (40mm height instead) and no one would be the wiser

I'm stuck trying to figure out the panel below it, the one I'm fitting sockets to. A black pc drive-bay cover is the perfect height and texture (40mm) but not wide enough.
Any ideas ?
This one I'll probably be fixing vertical angled plastic (10x10mm :scratch ) to the tray tabs and using Velcro to attach the panel.
Just remembered to add, at the top of the console tray this doesn't interfere with the gearstick

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I'm assuming you're using a 5.25" drive bay cover? I'd be tempted to use two cut to fit and plastic welded from the back using a v groove and a peice of mechano or something simular to strengthen (plastic weld through the holes). The front I would be hoping to not have too much to finish off when you consider the usb sockets and such being there. but I dunno - would need a bit of fettling no doubt.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Envoy CDX wrote:I'm assuming you're using a 5.25" drive bay cover? I'd be tempted to use two cut to fit and plastic welded from the back using a v groove and a peice of mechano or something simular to strengthen (plastic weld through the holes). The front I would be hoping to not have too much to finish off when you consider the usb sockets and such being there. but I dunno - would need a bit of fettling no doubt.
Apologies for the delay, not online recently.
Yes, a drive bay cover.
I had similar thoughts initially about joining covers- 50/50 split, full cover & part cover
I didn't think it would look nice though

My ( close to end- result ) thinking is :
Cut a horizontal "slice" ,with drive cover, from a suitable tower pc.
Fit the "outer" sections to the console. (removed anyway to mount cup-holder - easier to custom fit).
That way you can fit a 5.25" cover with any mods you like and if you change your mind you can just clip in a new drive bay cover with new setup.
It's just a thought :scratch

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt