New Cavalier owner 1993 2.0i gls 60kmiles.

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
bobthevoice

New Cavalier owner 1993 2.0i gls 60kmiles.

Post by bobthevoice »

Hi there, i picked up this Cavalier in Manchester at the start of February and after the faultless 300 mile drive to Glasgow i started to go over the car from top to bottom to see what work may need doing. at first glance there was nothing imminent wrong with it although i was aware of the MOT coming due early April . so mid-March i did all the usual checks and as a matter of course upgraded the front sidelights and headlights that are much better and remain legal. :thumb . the MOT was passed first time with only an advisory to adjust the rear o/s wheel bearing, a 20 min job now done. the car drives without fault and is a fine car for city driving and well capable of long drives down south if i want to take it for a run of a wee break away. i was surprised last week when i found a nice stretch of quiet road that in third gear,with no red line yet 95mph could be possible :no (could be that is) :roll: . i have also found no rust to speak of on the shell although i will be taking care of the minor scratches around the body that were due to it being garaged all it's life and in particular the last 10 years only being brought out for a service and MOT. it has only done 1500 miles in that time. so i reckon the scratches/scuffs etc are due to minor miss-happs in the garage.
so i will wait till we get good weather and see what needs to be done.in the meantime i'm using it most days and loving it. 24years young and it is like driving a couch.......i mean that in a good way(HONESTLY) as compared to city driving in my New Generation Saab 9-5?.....with it's 19" wheels and 40 profile rubber?......yep i'm well pleased with the comfort of my couch......no disrespect intended. the Saab is in no way suited to city driving. it is a stunning well equipped big car,but.....best suited for the motorway.so once i figure out how to post photo's i will let you see what i have bought. take care.

Bob
cavalier1990

Re: New Cavalier owner 1993 2.0i gls 60kmiles.

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi Bob

Nice to see another member north of the border. Sounds like you got a good one there with no rust, and 2.0 - bonus. I always say it but remember to clean out the crud from the rear arches, this helps stop advancement of rust in that area, also up behind the petrol filler pipe holds a ton of mud/crud, as well as the front outer members (basically below your feet where you sit) there is a drain hole there too, usually filled with stones and crap.

look forward to some pics of this new cavy :) Might see you out and about!

Andy
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Another thing to remember is to remove the foam infil in the rear arches / quarters, which hold water like a sponge - ready to wreak havoc on the rear arches.

Looking forward to the pictures...
Not so difficult once you get used to creating the links from picture hosting sites.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:Another thing to remember is to remove the foam infil in the rear arches / quarters, which hold water like a sponge - ready to wreak havoc on the rear arches.

Not so difficult once you get used to creating the links from picture hosting sites.
That's the one behind the rear seat belt isn't it? Is it easy enough to recover it?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I think you are correct.
I know Envoy used to regularly tell me to remove the foam to preserve the life of the arch / wing.

As it happened, I never removed it..
I believe Troy removed it for me when he was cutting out the rotten metal in the inner and outer arches.
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

cavalier1990 wrote:Hi Bob

Nice to see another member north of the border. Sounds like you got a good one there with no rust, and 2.0 - bonus. I always say it but remember to clean out the crud from the rear arches, this helps stop advancement of rust in that area, also up behind the petrol filler pipe holds a ton of mud/crud, as well as the front outer members (basically below your feet where you sit) there is a drain hole there too, usually filled with stones and crap.

look forward to some pics of this new cavy :) Might see you out and about!

Andy
Thanks for that info Andy.and yeah i have cleaned round about the rear arches already. i will though do the same with the other areas you mention once the weather gets a bit warmer and i promise pictures soon.
cheers.

Bob
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Robsey wrote:Another thing to remember is to remove the foam infil in the rear arches / quarters, which hold water like a sponge - ready to wreak havoc on the rear arches.

Thanks for that info Robsey i will check asap but i think when i cleaned the rear arches the foam stuff was already gone. and for sure pics soon.

cheers

Bob
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Can anyone tell me what the engine designation for this car? it is multi point injection 8 valve . 20NE or C20NE ?and whatever engine it is what is the timing belt kit/waterpump change interval. and is this engine fail safe if the belt where to snap?.

p.s. i tried cleaning the block for the number but cant make it out.
Bob
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

There are three 8 valve 2.0 litre engine codes.

If it has a caralytic converter then it is a C20NE.
All other 2.0 litre engines with cats are 16 valve units.

If it has no cat, then it could be either a 20SEH or a 20NE.
mechanically they are very similar with minor differences with valve head sizes and cam shaft profile (or so I understand).

The SEH engine is rated at 130 bhp.
The NE is rated at 116 bhp
And the cat version of the NE (C20NE) is rated at 113 bhp.

Timing belts should be changed approx every 36,000 miles.
I recommend changing the water pump and tensioner at every 72,000 miles.
(Every second belt change).

Saying that though, I do my belt at every 32,000 miles.
Pump and tensioner every 64,000 miles.

Oops forgot the important bit.
All Vauxhall engines are interference units, so if the belt fails, then the most likely damage is several bent valves.
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Hi, so today i took off the wheels to inspect for any corrosion that i may have missed and after removing no more than a handful of compacted dirt where the plastic petrol pipe etc is even in that area there is no rust to speak of. from front to back including the sub-frame and rear axle beam and the outriggers there's nowt to report.how lucky am i 8-) all the brake pipes have been greased regularly :o so another bonus.i then checked the sunroof for blocked drainage and was chuffed to see they work as they should with the water pouring out of the rear of the car. whilst the wheels where off i decided to give them a clean up and removed the surface rust prior to a new satin black paint job. new factory old stock hubcaps will be fitted when i decide to customize them or not.

cheers
Bob
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

bobthevoice wrote:

Hi, so today i took off the wheels to inspect for any corrosion that i may have missed and after removing no more than a handful of compacted dirt where the plastic petrol pipe etc is even in that area there is no rust to speak of. from front to back including the sub-frame and rear axle beam and the outriggers there's nowt to report.how lucky am i 8-) all the brake pipes have been greased regularly :o so another bonus.i then checked the sunroof for blocked drainage and was chuffed to see they work as they should with the water pouring out of the rear of the car. whilst the wheels where off i decided to give them a clean up and removed the surface rust prior to a new satin black paint job. new factory old stock hubcaps will be fitted when i decide to customize them or not.

cheers
Bob
All good then Bob :) well worth keeping your eye on the usual rot spots as it can creep in unwittingly in some areas. I've been on these cars for years so have plenty of knowledge about the ins and outs of the bodywork etc. as do most of the guys here.