Tobi's 1994 Vectra CDX 2.0 16V

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Tobias_CDX

Tobi's 1994 Vectra CDX 2.0 16V

Post by Tobias_CDX »

More text than pictures:

This "project" started back in May 2013 when I bought a Vectra CDX 2.0 16V. It was an Ebay auction showing a Vectra Hatch in Rioja stated with engine failure. Features were really good : A/C, leather, anti theft alarm, check control and the rest standard on CDX. So, what shall I do? The car stood in a small town near Stuttgart. 460 km (285 mls) away - one way.
Hatch is not really common in Germany as in UK. Mmh, my first Vectra was a hatch, too.
Features? Really good. Well equipped Vectras are not easy to find. Colour? Rioja... mmh, looks good and a colour which is also not very common.

So give it a try and bidded. Ended at 550 €... nice. "You won the auction!" After auction I thougt "What the hell? Did I really bought this car!? And why???" :shock: I needed a beer...
Next day I paid the car. How to get it home? Car had no MOT and no registration. I had no trailer and no time to invest a whole day driving. Google is friend and found solution. A rallye enthusiast is earning his money with car transports all over Germany. 200 € and four days later I got the car home. Sorry, I made no photos... :( The driver told me that he had to stop on the Autobahn because the car was honking and giving signal with hazardous warning. The alarm has triggered at his trailer... :D

Until today I made no photo of the car in total. So just the sexy back in the garage

So, what have we here. Model year 1994, first registration in June 1994 by a company in Remshalden (near Stuttgart). Funny detail 1: Remshalden is the home town of the Irmscher company.
Second registration was a private owner in Weinstadt (near Stuttgart, too). Funny detail 2: Weinstadt is the home town of Joachim Löw (coach of the German soccer team). ;)
Optional features are nearly everything which was available:
- automatic transmission
- A/C
- trip computer
- leather
- check control system
- anti theft alarm.
Just the ticks at rear electric windows, passenger seat height adjustment, manual ride height adjustment and tow hook are missing. The car was really expensive in these days.
New paint finish in 2012 but I don't know why.

So what happened until now?
Ehm, good question.... I fixed the roof of the garage. :D
And I made a decision as I bought a completely new automatic transmission for a bargain of 350 € - the car will be fully restored, it's worth to keep it. Only 81 of this model with this engine are left registered in Germany. And most of them with less features.

Details:
Right arch with heavy corrosion:

Left arch in good condition:

Right rear section:

Left rear section:

Until now I stockpiled new original parts worth uncounted grand euros. Left and right sills, C-pillars right and left, rear panels both sides and uncounted small parts as door mouldings, badges, new headlights, new rear lights, new rear panel etc. Most of them double or more and I don't know if I will need them on this car, but I have another hatch waiting...

Some small mods will be done during restoration but the rest will be left original:
- coloured door handles
- rear electric windows
- remote control Omega
- cruise control Omega/Vectra
- Omega adjustable wiper
- tinted rear lamps and coloured rear panel (model year 1995)
and the special one: original electrical folding mirrors as used on Japanase models (I never see this mod in Europe).

Plan is now to strip it with the end 2017/beginning 2018, then bodyworks and new paint and back on street in 2019 or 2020. 2019 would be perfect as my present to my 40th birthday but I'm not in a hurry.

Don't ask for the costs... :shock:
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Tobi's 1994 Vectra CDX 2.0 16V

Post by Robsey »

That chassis floor looks very solid.
A very good starting point for a restoration.

I have never heard of folding mirrors.
You learn something new every day.
Looks like it will be a very interesting project.

Strangely, in the UK, hatchbacks are not seen as very interesting.
Many enthusiasts look for the saloon / notchback to make replica GSi or BTCC models.

I like my hatch, especially for carry big loads in the back. A very practical car.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

In Germany only 25% of all Vectra A were a hatch. In UK the hatch figure is 75%.

Yes, you are right, the saloon is the more wanted model. There is no difference between UK and Germany. :D Turbo is Turbo... :roll:
Many people are restoring Turbos or GSi but there are some more models. And in two or more years the number of X20XEV hatches in Germany is lower than the Turbos in Germany. :D
I'm also at the look for a V6 Hatch model year 1995 but until now pointless. The registration number is worse: 20 as per Januar 1st 2016...
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

To the folding mirrors some pictures:

Mechanic inner parts RH:

Mechanic inner parts RH:

Mechanic inner parts RH fitted with motor:

In complete (picture from web):

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Looks like a nice project there mate. It's always interesting to see a Left-Hand drive model, with the rear windscreen wiper on the opposite side.

Sounds like you will have fun with this one.

Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

New data per email today:
As per January 1st 2017 just 58 Vectra A Hatch with X20XEV are still on German streets...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Dam. I was thinking there were more around in Germany, I saw quite a few on my last holiday there a year ago.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Those folding mirrors are cool!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

One more part - even in Germany hard to get:

cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

James McGrath wrote:Dam. I was thinking there were more around in Germany, I saw quite a few on my last holiday there a year ago.
I remember being in Switzerland in early 2003 and there were 2.0 saloons ten a penny, no hatches, some might have been v6 thinking on it as most cars over there seem to be the higher end models. None of them seemed rusty either.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

It's the little things, that count. :)

Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Hi mate ... do you need the "Opel" badge..? I got several new ones ...somewhere in garage

Where did you get / find the stickers ... small details. I seen some a few months back - but silly money.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

I got them at a small dealer in Germany and bought all he had (3 pcs.). PN me, if you want to have one.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Nah it's cool .. I think I've got the others.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

After two years of searching I finally got the missing right rear door protection moulding with silver insert! :D
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Mate where did you buy your side mirrors?
Are they electric + heated?

Look pretty good and definitely different from the norm. Good find.

I remember there where loads 3rd party style, notably bwm m3 styled mirrors, bu I thought they always looked a bit odd on the cavaliers.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Most of the parts I got from Opel Classicparts. But I think I got the last one they had.

If wanted I can look for the parts at the classic parts dealer network.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Are they electric and heated?

If they are then yes I'd be interested.

Send me the part numbers and I'll also have a look. If you do find any, then please let me know. Thanks mate.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Of course they are heated and electrically. They are also electrically foldable. ;)

You need these parts:
  • Outer parts left 90509480
  • Outer parts right 90509481
  • Inner parts left 90509488
  • Inner parts right 90509489
  • 2x motor 90509159
  • 2x mounting parts 90509177
  • relay 90505796
Mirrors glasses are the same as Calibra. Inner and outer parts will be very hard to find! Years ago as I bought them it was a struggle. Good luck! :)

Wiring has to be done according to wiring diagram for Cavalier MY1993 onwards.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Thank mate - I got '94 so hopefully wiring should be be ok...

The interior control is that the same?

Damn. That's a fair few parts, thought it may just one or two parts. We'll no harm trying...
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Sorry, you will need another control knob for the mirrors. One with additional button for folding function:

Wiring is not so much but it has to be done. It is never provided in european cars.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Thanks mate. I'll keep check during my travels.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Tobias_CDX wrote:Sorry, you will need another control knob for the mirrors. One with additional button for folding function:

[ Image ]

Wiring is not so much but it has to be done. It is never provided in european cars.
We have that button on our mirror adjustment switches but it turns on the heater for the mirrors I believe.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

iangsi wrote:We have that button on our mirror adjustment switches but it turns on the heater for the mirrors I believe.
This is correct for early Cavaliers. After MY1991 mirror heating is switched with the button for heated rear window and power is supplied via heated rear window relay.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Some news from Friday. 8-)

I think I found a nest...

From left to right: "Grandpa" - my first car, the restoration object and my daily runner.
Grandpa moved from one garage to the other. The restoration object moved from its home to my pals workshop.

We needed jump start. It came alive including the oil pressure light which not turned off. Engine is crap.

On the trailer and ready for take-off. :D

Grandpa in bad condition. It needs more than new side panels. But until now no idea what to do with it. :?