Cavalier restoration

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Mazza

Cavalier restoration

Post by Mazza »

Hi all

As the topic suggest I'm looking at fixing my cavalier. Now I see that a couple have already encountered the stressful journey... one problem leads to the next....! So, Nothing's really changed since the old days.

Anyways to the point, looking out for advice suggestions etc that I've not looked at.. I'm looking at doing a full reworks from the ground up

Any suggestions on upgrades, fix will be appreciated....

Interior
Exterior
Engine upgrades
Suspension/brakes

Suggested mods...

Parts... as they are a bit thin on the ground?
Cavalier342

Re: Cavalier restoration

Post by Cavalier342 »

I hope you have a well spaced garage or some facility where you have enough room to work with a roof overhead.

A full restoration would usually mean keeping/cleaning/repairing as many original parts as possible and replacing unusable original parts with identical or close to identical replacement parts/components. Including every nut and bolt. You need to consider whether you want to keep the car long term or sell it on, if you are keeping it, then by all means you have the right mind to take on this project. If selling, then you need to consider time and labour, plus costs involved and what you would be wanting to sell it for once complete.

Parts wise, a lot of stuff is still available, mainly mechanical and service parts, with regard to spares, like interior trim, bumpers, lights, etc, they can be found online, or some members here have a load of spares boxed away somewhere, I'm sure anything can be found if looked hard enough for.

It's a big step to take, but I'm sure that once you start stripping and getting into it, you'll be finding more and more to to, which will either motivate you to go further and further or simply pull the rug back over it and ignore it.

My advice would be to make a list of what you think you will need, before carrying out any work, see how easy it is to get parts/components, make a break-down of the job list, stage by stage, i.e. initial strip-down, clean-up, repair, bodywork, etc etc. If you plan to use the car in the mean time then consider if that would be a good idea as the last thing you'd want is to pick up some damage before/during the restoration.

Many many questions to ask here, it all depends on budget, motivation, available facility, and equipment/tools.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Most important starting point is a good work area and a good selection of quality tools

As Andrei says, make a list of what you think you need and a wish list.
Then expect to at least triple the time and expense to achieve it.

My restoration came close to £7000 to complete, but it was not a total strip and rebuild. It is a definite 'snow ball' situation that can easily overwhelm you.

Most parts are available, if James McGrath hasn't already bought the entire UK stock.

A total strip, and dipping to bare metal type restoration can be anywhere between £10,000 and £40,000.

Whatever you spend will never be made up by selling the car.. unless maybe you have a 4x4, turbo or GSi model.

Which engine?
Speed or reliability?
C20XE, C20LET or X25XE for speed.

C20NE, 20NE, 20SEH are all willing modestly bomb proof units.

Or do you want something more complicated but more powerful than the usual 90's Vauxhall lumps?
Perhaps a SAAB B204 / 207 engine or an Astra-G Z20LET.

Interior / gadgets?
The list of possibilities is endless.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Thanks for the feedback guys.. keep them coming

It's a cavalier turbo ... with some existing modifications. Some good and bad. I've picked up some new Gm parts but no doubt, will need many, many more...

I've sold all my gsi's to partly cover the costs... and yes I had a good few

I need a set of 'new' rear turbo light clusters... anyone?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Am I not right in thinking that the GSi tail lights are the pre-facelift items without the black piece across the top?

If so, I am sure that there are several sources still available for these...
Such as ebay etc...

For panels etc, there is always Carz2 and other panel factors.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

GENERAL -
If you have a turbo, I would recommend keeping as original as possible.

There are one or two rear suspension components that are hard to come by,
but most other stuff should be findable.

ENGINE -
Going back to the engine. - I presume you have a highly sought after LET engine.
So best stick with that, just give it a full service and enjoy.
If you know it has had a hard life with an enthusiastic gas pedal user, then it may be worth considering an engine rebuild.
But if it is a modestly low mileage unit, don't fix what isn't broke.

I assume you will be emptying the engine bay anyway to carry out a proper bodywork restoration.

All common sense stuff really.

STEERING & SUSPENSION -
My resto ended up with all steering and suspension parts being replaced with new GM or Febi parts. Even new spax springs and Bilstein shockers.

INTERIOR -
I presume the turbo has a high spec leather interior.
A good leather cleaner and feed 'make over' should be all you need.
Instruments and dash wise, again all top level spec anyway, so just clean it all up and replace any dull or blown bulbs.
Especially the pesky heater panel bulb.

GADGETS AND MODS -
The turbo should be fully specced up anyway. So cannot think of anything 'tasteful' to add.

Hidden gadgets or mods that I have are for convenience / safety on the road including a digital video recorder close to the rear view mirror, Nokia bluetooth kit and I am part way through fitting cruise control.
All due to my car also being my office.

Not so hidden / not so tasteful gadgets that I have are an Omega one touch electric sunroof with Bug Eye interior light, rear interior lights and an Astra mk2 GTE DigiDash.

One thing definitely to ensure you have is a good alarm, immobiliser and tracker.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Thanks Robsey, that's quite comprehensive list of suggestions and things to consider .

Yep it's Cav turbo with the C20let engine and all trimmings of the time, heated leather, battery/oil gauge and all electric windows/mirrors/sunroof/aerial... etc

It was miles ahead of its time ... looks and equipment. Surprisingly some people are often surprised by the level of kit at the time, when compared to modern cars and yet its still faster.

Most of the parts and panels are transferable between the cars - often seee gsi with turbo rear light and number plate surround. Regarding the rear lights your correct. The old gsi lights were flat and the face lift turbo lights are more rounded with a black trim around the top

I've managed to pick a good few itiems over the years and most are brand new 'old' gm stock... or stuff I picked up on my travels or stuff I just kept since uni.

There's a few things missing and would like to add them in at some point, more for convenience and safety.

Mods wise already have some Courtney add-ons, although some of these will be removed as I don't like them.

No doubts I'll be asking for thoughts and suggestions along the way as it all helps.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Regarding modifications...
They have to suit the final plan.

If looking as a future selling investment - originality and condition is most important to potential buyers.

If you are keeping it, then only your taste truly matters.
Others can only offer their personal slant on what is good or not.

Feel free to ask, but nobody is a 100% expert or style guru.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Uh, Cavalier restoration! It's only the question how far you will go. If you want a full(!) restoration you will end up like this:

You'll find lots of places where rust is hiding. On Cavaliers in general mounts of power steering rack and junction of horizontal and vertical sheet under rear seats. And on Turbos especially upper rear spring mount with beam (new not more available).
(If you do it like above you can also easily switch from RHD to LHD... :D )

You can read nearly the whole story here:
Part #1 http://vectra16v.com/resto_aufnahme.html
Part #2 http://vectra16v.com/resto_lackierung.html
Part #3 http://vectra16v.com/resto_zusammenbau.html

Kai changed nearly everything into new parts (if available) or used refurbished parts. Don't ask for the price of the whole works. :shock:

I plan to do a restoration on my Vectra CDX and bought new parts from which I think I will need them for nearly 3.500 €. And there are no parts for suspension or engine included!
Really hard to find parts especially in Germany are interior parts, door mouldings, nameplates and decals.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Thanks Robsey , Tobias and co - I'm hoping to keep it standard looking, apart from perhaps bigger alloys and modern extras... to enjoy the drives.

I think long term plan is to keep the turbo, since I've sold the other gsi's - partly to pay for all the works and concentrate on one car.

I've seen a good few cavs on my travels, however some with stupid spoilers and Euro kits... making them virtually unrecognisable!!! Real pity I didn't take any pictures.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Thanks for the link - I'll check through Kia's works done. Perhap see areas I've not looked at
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Holy poop - it looks like the firewall / bulkhead has been removed.
Sheesh!!

Indeed - the further you go with it, you can just keep adding the zeros to the cost.

I planned on 2k and spent 7k. - Eek!!
The more you do yourself, the lower the final price - obviously.
Welding and painting were never skills of mine - although I once fooled myself that I could weld. So hence my high refurb cost.
Parts were only about 3.5 to 4k.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

I wish you all the best with your turbo project as im in the middle of doing one myself so ill be watching this thread for a few tips.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Robsey wrote: nobody is a 100% expert or style guru.
Apart from Robsey that is :p
Robsey wrote: especially not Robsey
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Good to hear that you're planning to keep it as original as possible, that in itself is value! Mods and addons just ruin it for the future collectors.
Previous:

Mazza

Post by Mazza »

vaux16v wrote:I wish you all the best with your turbo project as im in the middle of doing one myself so ill be watching this thread for a few tips.
Definitely by all means. It'll be good to see yours also.

Really appreciate all the feedback so far folks.

My next few steps to is to slowly start getting all the bits together that I've collected over the years. And yes these are literally dotted around in the uk and abroad.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Hopefully get a thread going shortly. Tho my car has short of half done up and didn't need any welding so that a big and worst job outa the way.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Look forward to seeing some pics. How's the bodywork for rust? Usually a case of minimum being new rear arches, sill & floor repairs, front inner wheel well, back of boot & corners of boot floor, and parts of bulkhead.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Well, my car was in good condition for it age,... although a few teething problems for a 25yr old motor

I remember taking the car up north and everyone knew it was my car....! Some of the local folks still remember my old gsi 4x4. Even the kids,... now married!

Anyways since then the car 'aged', head lining going, fair few scratches/digs... and rust started in a few of usual places

Also a number of other problems... which have really annoyed me - don't want to talk about them. I had many offers, but refused to sell.

I will add some pics in the coming period... before and in progress...

Any input would be greatly appreciated along the way.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Quick update 1

Received a few boxes full of goodies...

Full set of new badges - turbo, 4x4, Vauxhall, cavalier, vectra/Opel, wheel caps

Interior switches - mirror, sunroof, computer

Turbo rear clusters and number plate surround

Brand new fog lights

Mixture of New interior trim and door lights

Several sets of electric heated mirrors - one is never enough...

Emblems and turbo specific parts --- very very hard to source!!!

Pics will follow ... lazy I.T guy
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Lots of lovely new parts.

I am surprised there are any left.
Normally James snaps up all the parts to keep his fleet going.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures - when the IT guy pulls his finger out. :P
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Weekends ... try to stay clear ... you should see my desk!

I travel with work, so that helps...
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Shorting thru the garage and I've found one of my digital mk3 dash displays... spare oil/battery gauge and computer displays. Not sure if they all still work but in pretty good condition considering they've been in the box for some time.

.. and gsi and turbo steering wheels
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Digital dash display?
Do you mean the much coveted digital instruments?,
Dual info display, ?
Or Fuel Computer?

If it is the instruments, then I am sure that I have not yet seen anyone on the forum with a set actually fitted and working.
(Not even any of our mainland Europe friends where the digital instruments were available).
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Robsey wrote:Digital dash display?
If it is the instruments, then I am sure that I have not yet seen anyone on the forum with a set actually fitted and working.
(Not even any of our mainland Europe friends where the digital instruments were available).
My pal Kai (with the restoration above) got a 2000 with originally fitted LCD-instruments. :)