Rust prevention

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
vaux16v

Rust prevention

Post by vaux16v »

Hi. Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing that can prevent rust in places that cant be got at. As in a spray that will seep into joints that the naked eye can not see as in seams etc.
Cavalier342

Re: Rust prevention

Post by Cavalier342 »

Waxoyl seems to be a popular choice I believe, you can get it in spray cans or a big can from which you can brush it on.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Tanks for the reply.

Yes was thinking of waxoyl but tink it would be to thick. Would nearly need to be like water to seep into joints.

Maybe wd40.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

WD-40 is a temporary solution, it will not protect when it dries up. It's not designed to be used as long-term rust preventer for cars. Garden shears, bike wheel sprockets, or electrical components, it's perfect for. If you use Waxoyl or similar products, I'd imagine that if you don't lay it on too thick, use the spray for small nooks and crannies and brush it onto the smoother surfaces underneath it should be fine. If there are no rust holes anywhere then definitely worth doing that, but you have to make sure that the underside is sound before applying rustproofing otherwise you will only be finding issues down the line.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Its actually floor the floor of the car. I have it all stripped back to the original paint and cleaned. I see a bit or surface rust in the cross member were seat bolts to and cant get at it, i suppose the spray stuff would get to it.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

You can get rust remover products, do a search, can probably find them at most motorfactors, if you can find one with a small brush attachment or have a small brush that you can use to get into tiny spaces, then do that, treat the rust first before applying rust preventing chemicals.
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I would if possible get a wire brush drill attachment, and get as much rust out as you can.

Then treat with any well known rust treatment chemical on the market.

I personally use Vactan. It can go on bare metal and often be left for a year without rust reappearing.
This is the case on my Type 2 T25 camper van.
Vactan is one of the usual "brush on creamy coloured fluids" that converts rust to a stable black compound. None rusty steel will turn purple.
As said I treated the front nose cone two years ago, and despite leaving it exposed to the rain, it has not started rusting again yet.
Many other treatments are more or less based on the same key ingredients.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

I have being looking at that hammerite kurust stuff. Thers that much stuff out ther for treating rust weather it works or not is another thing.

Does any1 how i wud get in contact with Mike Hayward for a locking kit for the transfer box.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

A really good rust preventative is Dynax s50.

It's really good at seeping into crevasses and it holds the rust at bay very well indeed.
It's best used on metal that isn't already corroded however, it will help stop any minor rust getting any worse.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Will definitely buy a tin and try it specially with the straw attachment for thise hard to reach places.
T1BBST3R

Post by T1BBST3R »

vaux16v wrote:Will definitely buy a tin and try it specially with the straw attachment for thise hard to reach places.
Someone told me the other day to use a product called fertan; http://www.fertan.co.uk/Item-Fertan%20r ... verter.htm

They used some on a garden chair a couple years ago and it has, "kept the rust at bay". Apparently after 6 months you can coat over it with something else like waxy oyl but you can only apply it to grease free bare metal.

Also, if you can find an old can of waxoyl before they changed the formula, that was reguarded as the best as it never rubbed off.

Hope it helps.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

If it is to slow the spread of rust there is not much you can do other than keep the area clean and free of dirt/moisture/salt until you get round to replace it with clean metal you can seal with a rust preventative like bilt hamber.

If you see a bubble of rust or a section where it has took hold, it's actually best to leave it until you are going to deal with it properly rather than scrape rust scab off, as it just seems to accelerate the rusting process, and by no accounts seal over it as it will just seal the rust and moisture in it.

If you need to treat surface rust use something like a rust treatment from rust.co.uk. The only real solution for corrosion where metal has been weakened is to cut the rust completely out and replace with new metal.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Sorta know that rust can not be stopped unless a new bit is welded in. Thankfully it seems to be only surface rust for what i can see.

Only trying to treat it for the time being as the car will be goin for a full paint job in a few years time.

By the time im finished i will prob have tryed all your suggested products.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

rust encapsulation is by far the best. rust treatments slow it down, that's only if its not coming through a seam
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I'll be playing with De-ox gel again come the spring months I think.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index