Snapped bolt

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
bigsilver

Snapped bolt

Post by bigsilver »

I've snapped thefront wishbone bolt , the back bolt that goes into the floor chassis, I had to cut a small hole inside the floor to get the bolt out also to find that the round nut welded to the chassis has snapped off . I got another same thickness bolt and locking nut with washers , will this be okay to use . Thanks
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Snapped bolt

Post by Robsey »

Assuming that the bolt is an M12 thread it should be okay.
Can't remember if it is 12mm fine or standard thread - but it shouldn't matter.

A good thick m12 nylock, self locking nut or even using plenty of loc-tite and a good sized washer to 'spread' the load should be fine.

I guess you have tightened up to the same torque value.

Ideally you would want someone to weld a nut to the car to make it captive.
And fit a bolt of the correct type - tensile strength and all that milarkey.
And then weld back the metal you have cut away.

My concern is what metal you have cut away to gain access to this area.
My query meaning - is it merely a panel or a structural part of the car.?
And will it affect any future MOTs.?

Just for info, the correct bolts are still available from Vauxhall, and any decent "fastenings" supplier should be able to supply a thick mild steel nut with the matching thread.

It would simply require you finding a decent welder to weld the nut in place for you, and also to weld in a panel to replace the metal that you cut away.
bigsilver

Post by bigsilver »

Robsey I've fitted the bolt with big washer nylon nut also used loctite, done the job a treat . It was just a small section of the floor pan which gave me access into the chassis leg , yip was a m12 bolt , I'm leaving the small hole I've cut open so I can gain access if ever need to change wishbone , ye can't see the hole from underfloor. I cut an inch square , was dithering whether to tackle the bolt but because of the nylon thread was thinking it would melt . its pure solid ,
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay sounds fine - just a word of caution, keep an eye on the hole - say every 6 months.
If the hole is not smooth or has square corners, then it is possible that continual flexing of the body could cause a stress crack to propogate from it.

I am not trying to scare you, but bulkheads etc have been known to crack especially where something is bolted through or close by.

Chances are, you will be perfectly fine.
Afterall - if my totally rotted floor did not tear itself in half, then nothing will - lol.

Please don't treat my comments as being pure negativity - that is not my intention.
I merely want you to be as safe as possible, and for your car to last as long as possible.

That said - if nothing else, give everything that has been exposed a good dose of rust preventative, zinc primer and then cavity wax. Cutting the hole will have exposed the metal skin, and the trends in the weather mean we can expect progressively more driving rain and damp conditions in the years ahead.
Probably "stating the bleadin' obvious".
:P
bigsilver

Post by bigsilver »

Cheerz robsey, I did treat the area a gd few times with rust eater.then primed it all before u put bolt thorough. I've also marked the bolt on inside and outside and a wee mark on body , definitely keep an eye on it , that's if a use it lol , hardly used it in past yr . A done boot build Al try n get a photo for ye , if this still uploads . cheers robsey
bigsilver

Post by bigsilver »

Hope these upload if not u might see it on one of my other links previous