Tobi's 1994 Vectra V6

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Tobias_CDX

Tobi's 1994 Vectra V6

Post by Tobias_CDX »

News from the crazy guy at Leipzig! :D
Not enough, that my first project didn't start except for transport to my pal - no, another story happens! :D

To start from the beginning:
For years I wanted a hatchback V6. Just 4.631 were ever produced. One of the smallest amount after the legendary Turbo (about 2.250 produced). But small production figures means also small amount of available cars.
To make it short, most of the cars are gone and the leftovers are junk. You have to know: even in Germany just 20(!) hatchback V6 are still on road. For comparison: there are 58 Turbos in Germany on the road....

After different years of searching there was chance to get one! :o I found it at autoscout24. Located in Tilburg, Netherlands. But how to do? I called my pal and he was quickly convinced that this car could be the jackpot. We contacted the seller (a car seller) and told him that we wanted to see the car on April, 2nd.
Tilburg is from Leipzig manageable 560 km (350 mls) away, in one day nearly not feasable (you can do it but you will need some time after it :D).
My pal came to Leipzig last Sunday (no April's fool...) and we started after breakfast at 11a.m. om Monday (holiday in Germany). Two small breaks later we arrived at Tilburg a 6 p.m.

The next day (Tuesday) we arrived 9.30 a.m. at the seller. He was totally surprised that some crazy people really keep the word and drove the long way! 8-)

And there it was:

Nova Black, automatic transmission, velours, A/C, headlight wipers, check control and four electric windows. We looked for nearly an hour for the diseases but there were just some small things which are not so good. Front wings with little rust and one rear inner door trim with detached vinyl. :? Rear arches in good shape but engine oil-water-cooler disintegrated and therefore "haselnut cream" in cooling system. No problems so far. To make it short: I bought it for a really low price! :D
We managed to get export plates (the white ones, valid 14 days).

We started at 1 p.m. at Tilburg and arrived after few stops 9 p.m. in Leipzig. My pal drove the Vectra, I drove my wife's car.

Today I wanted to drive the car for myself for a further way. We filled up and started surprisingly in Leipzig. :lol:

Small V6 at the Monument to the battle of the Nations.

A coffee, a walk and an ice cream later:

Maybe someone recognizes the place? 8-) Little famous in Britain.

And two photos at Pödelwitz, a really, reallye small village near Leipzig which will be destroyed due to the enlargement of a strip mine.

More to come! :)
bobthevoice

Re: Tobi's 1994 Vectra V6

Post by bobthevoice »

Well done to you Tobi that looks like it's a nice car good luck with it. sometimes you have to go the extra miles to find what you want especially when the car is a scarce model. i traveled almost 2000 miles going from Glasgow to Portsmouth then London before i found my 2012m/y Saab 95 TTid Aero...of witch there where only 47 in the UK.
my 1990 Cavalier 2;0i gl was found in Cornwall area another 450 miles away. i just treat the journey like a small road trip and enjoy the ride.

Bob
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Looks nice! I do miss my old V6, was a beast! Looks like yours has a few more toys on it, headlamp wipers, etc. I'd recommend you colour-match the door mirror cases, it will look so much better.

Can't beat the comfortable drive of an automatic transmission, perfect combination of engine and transmission right there.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

A good find worth the trip :thumb
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Looks like a real nice tidy one there Tobi. What's the plans for it, if any?
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

At first, I wanted to know, if anybody recognises the city with the castle on the top of the mountain. 8-)

There are plans for the car. To keep it! :D
At first there are some things to change for German permission. Headlights with range adjustment and removal of the window foils. Bolster of driver seat is worn, lighting of nearly all switches broken. A fault code in ABS- or traction-control-system occured (maybe speed sensor).
Main things are correded front wings and some really small parts at rear arches. Front wings will be changed (side repeaters not necessary in Germany). Two dents in rear doors. Second greater part is a leakage of engine oil cooler. Will remove engine and change also all belts and so on.
Some remains of an old alarm system have to be removed.

And I don't know what to do with the rear spoiler. :?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sorry I do not recognise the place.. but it looks quite a nice place to stop off at.
In fact, quite a nice route to drive, although Denkmal is a little off your route.
I thought you would have driven past the north of Dusseldorf, not loop south of there.

I don't know of many mountain-top castles in Germany, except Neuschwanstein Castle, due to it's reported links to the Disney Sleeping Beauty castle. Obviously anything Disney is quite well known in the UK.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

We made a round trip around Leipzig, where I live. Nothing with Düsseldorf. ;) The Denkmal is 5 mins away if you go by car.
Maybe this link helps for the Castle:
Colditz Castle

Some other points to deal with:
- new silver inlays in bumpers
- rear left door moulding deglued at front :(
- velours trim of front seats slightly hanging (thin foam layer of velours will disintegrate sooner or later in every car with velours)
- new tyres (the spare wheel is installed at front right and this tyre is from week 41 in 1993) :D
- new radio without cassettes... :P

One big point to think about:
- fitting manual transmission instead of automatic (would make the car a little faster but not so comfortable as it is now) :scratch

And for interest:
Try to get the original car bill (or a copy). Owners manual and inspection booklet were given to me.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Very nice find!
Surprised to hear they are as rare in Germany as they are here. Always thought there were more over there.

I took my V6 on a trip to Germany last summer. Mainly to the Seeheim-Jugenheim area where my cousins live.
Was great to stretch its legs on the Autobahn!
blaine

Post by blaine »

Looks a nice clean car!

Looking forward to seeing the progress with it
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Keep the autobox in there! No clutch to replace.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
V6BOY

Post by V6BOY »

Cracking purchase looking forward to updates on this!