Got those old broken clutch blues.

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Roadie49

Got those old broken clutch blues.

Post by Roadie49 »

Good morning folks. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum could help/ advise on a problem that dropped on me last Friday.

Quick rundown. My 1995 M Plate Expression had a bit of an issue with the clutch. I had to press the pedal into the carpet to get into first, from time to time. Adjustment seemed to do not a lot, so I dropped it into a friend's garage for a new cable. It was getting a new reverse light switch fitted, anyway, so I thought I would get both jobs done. It didn't work right off, but a little adjustment seemed to put things right. A couple of weeks later, I found that I was struggling to get any gear on the way to work. I changed down at a large roundabout and the cable snapped. I managed to coast around and onto a lay by. I got my youngest lad to tow me back to the garage and texted them to expect me.

Mark at the garage reckoned the clutch had gone a bit stiff the week before, and we had it booked in for the following day, anyway. He reckoned £300 all in, so I went with that. I had spent quite a bit over the last year or two. Usual stuff, timing belt, exhaust, a complete brake job with all new parts and copper lines. All new tyres, that sort of stuff.

So far, so good. Now the problem. None of the clutches supplied by our local parts distributors would actually fit the car. They all seemed to be for a recessed flywheel, where the one on the 1.8 Expression is of an older design. Basically, end of the line for a car that had years left in it. I was gutted. My local Vauxhall dealership offered me one from Germany for £500 + VAT, but couldn't guarantee it being the right one for the job.

My old buddy is sitting outside my house in bits until I can find a clutch assembly that matches the flywheel. I don't want to give up on the old girl just yet, but need to get back on the road as soon as possible.

Can anyone on the Forum think of a solution, please?

There are no part numbers on the clutch parts, but I will go and take a load of photos to show the actual parts.

Thank you.

Chuck ( Roadie49.)
3cav3

Re: Got those old broken clutch blues.

Post by 3cav3 »

I would try taking the old clutch to a reconditioners that advertises in classic car magazines and at vintage shows. I'm sure I had one redone about 10 years ago for my old Subaru that wasn't to expensive but I've lost the details sorry.
Roadie49

Post by Roadie49 »

Thanks for the info. I know some people who work on old cars, so I'll have a word with them.

Cheers,

Chuck
Roadie49

Post by Roadie49 »

Some photos on here. The car and the bits. https://www.flickr.com/photos/23594891@N07/
Quite a lot of photos of other classic cars on my Flickr Page. Lots of aircraft, too.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That is strange, because almost all pre-1992 Cavaliers had flat flywheels, not the later recessed "pot" flywheel.

So I would not expect the clutch kit for a pre-1992 1.8 or 2.0 litre Cavalier to fit.

Back when I had my last clutch done, the garage had to ask for a Calibra 2.0 litre clutch kit because mine has the pot flywheel.
Roadie49

Post by Roadie49 »

That's interesting, Robsey. As you can see by the photos, mine doesn't appear to be flush. It has a rim around it and a sloped dish effect. The Calibra connection may well be worth checking out. Thank you. Another line of enquiry.

Cheers,

Chuck
Roadie49

Post by Roadie49 »

Having looked at replacement Calibra Clutches, I think that we are on a winner. I'll get the garage to order one in and we can check it against mine. Very obliged to you Robsey.

Thanks, Chuck
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My pleasure.
Hope it works out for you :)

I have to admit that I read your earlier post wrong. I thought you said your 1995 car had a flat flywheel... hence why I said strange.
Almost all 1992 onward manual cars will have the recessed pot flywheel.

That definitely looks like a pot flywheel to me in the pictures.

Mine was a 1994 1.8 with central injector and f20 gearbox.
I suspect the same as yours, being a 1995 1.8. So yes the Calibra clutch should do the job.

As for the other pictures...
Some very nice blasts from the past.
As a youngster, I was an avid fan of the Shackleton, Mosquito, Vulcan, Victor and the VC10.
Just missing a Vampire from your photo collection.
A nice selection.
Roadie49

Post by Roadie49 »

I think I have some more aircraft to scan in at some point, with Vampires included.

A local car shop was recommended to me this morning and he has found me just the item I need. He's a bit of a car fan and was very quick to find the clutch. Coming later this week. £79.99. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your tip. It was indeed a Calibra one. Our local Vauxhall dealer price was £500 for the Cavalier Expression and £250 for the Calibra, so I've done ok.

Cheers,

Chuck
Roadie49

Post by Roadie49 »

Things are looking good. The parts all fit, though there are a couple of slight differences. All shall be revealed on Tuesday, when the old motor goes back into the garage.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Fingers crossed all will be OK.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hopefully differences that don't prevent it from being fitted, and prevents your car running well again.
Roadie49

Post by Roadie49 »

Old motor up and running. Clutch repair was a success. She's off the road for a little while until I can find a few more little bits and pieces. Roadworthy, though. Thanks for the advice and info.

I bought an Astra estate for a few bob, to keep me mobile. I was surprised to see so many new parts on it. Goes like a good one, but was in desperate need of a full valet. I'll pass it on to my oldest, when I have finished with it. While I was in getting it cleaned up, I got talking to one of the guys in the compound. I mentioned the Cavalier and he took me over to his Unit. It was full of Cavaliers and an Astra. He rebuilds them and runs them. He thinks that he may have some spare parts for me, too. After all the searching for bits, the guy is in the Unit right over the road from the garage. What a piece of luck.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Very good luck indeed.
A very useful find.

Nice to know that your car is "sort of" mobile again. - yayy!!
:thumb
Roadie49

Post by Roadie49 »

Six months down the line and she is still running like a good 'un. Over the next few months I should be getting some new body parts fitted to the old girl. She deserves a bit of TLC.