LS 1.8i Traction Control Upgrades

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
awoolford

LS 1.8i Traction Control Upgrades

Post by awoolford »

Hi folks.

I am considering a full restoration on my 1994 1.8LSi with Mid beds Restoration... with a few upgrades.

I have a donor CDX 2.0 with a 2.0XEV engine that I would like to drop in.

Both vehicles have ABS but neither one has Traction Control. I am aware the Calibra / Cavalier V6 did have TC, but it was not rated highly due to reliability issues. It also used a second solenoid throttle body which would restrict airflow even when not working and which is rumoured to be as rare as hens teeth, hence an online price of around £500 :o

However I also understand that many 2.0 Vectra Bs and Cs did have traction control and they used the same XEV engine as my donor Cavalier.

My question then, is there a pathway to retrofit Traction control to the LSi after putting the CDX engine into it?
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: LS 1.8i Traction Control Upgrades

Post by Robsey »

Not so sure about the Vectra-C.
That is a very complicated pure electronic set-up.

Vectra-B sounds a lot more plausible.
Or pre-facelift Omega-B vehicles made up to 1999
There are lots of Vectra-B parts that have been fitted to Cavaliers (Vectra-A),
including cruise control, remote central locking, powered sunroof, climate control and so on.

The best way forward is to get a Haynes manual for both cars (donor and Cavalier) or to get a copy of TIS2000 / GlobalTIS.

I presume that you will need the ABS module from a traction controlled donor car.

EDIT - Haynes mentions ABS 2E upto 1991, and then ABS 2EH thereafter...
But in the 1992 onward X25XE wiring diagrams, it mentions ABS 2E.

After all, traction control is just ABS acting in reverse. - preventing the wheels spinning under hard acceleration, rather than preventing them from locking under firm braking.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

From what I can see in the Haynes Cavalier set-up, it depends what you have in your car as to how complicated installation will be.

I can see -
8 wires between the TC module and the ABS module. (ABS 2E module).

1 wire to diagnostic socket pin J

1 wire to the dash warning light

1 wire to a fuse in the engine bay - F48.

Then a couple of wires for the TC switch.
The switch has 3 wires.
1 to earth.
1 to Fuse 9 (switch illumination)
and 1 to the TC module pin 1.

There are extra wires for the V6 engines and another set for auto transmission.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As for a pathway...

It may be simpler and easier to get the ABS and TC modules off a Vectra-B / Omega-B along with all associated wiring, mountings and solenoids.

This way, you know that the whole set up will be "programmed" for traction control.

I cannot be 100% certain, but often modules are configured (firmware) for their function / specification.
In this case, if you use your own ABS module, it may need SPS programming to make it compatible with TC functionality.

As for reliability - this could be due to poor general care and maintenance.

As another anecdote, people told me that cruise control modules were often faulty or didn't work.
I fitted one to my car with no issues, other than a few wiring mix-ups.
Since installation it has been a thousand times more reliable than the shambles fitted to our Vectra-C.

So - as long as you get the wiring fitted properly and to a good standard,
And you have regular servicing and keep all items clean and secure. I cannot see you having any problems.

As a "devil's advocate" type comment, I cannot see the TC kicking in very often on a 2 litre XEV except in conditions of low traction such as muddy fields or snow.
Not much gain, for a significant amount of effort.

And bizarrely, since Vauxhall started to fit non-switchable TC, people have been trying to find ways to disable it, as it "spoils their fun".

However, please do not see this as harsh or criticism.
I am all for upgrades, as long as they work, and are installed to a good safe standard.

It is indeed an interesting adaptation.

As for the restorers, I have seen their facebook pages, and they appear to do a superb job. Very thorough and very good quality.

Excellent to see another LSi being restored.
Usually this is only done to SRi's, GSi's or Turbo models.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

For installation of Vectra B ABS be aware that they used 4 channel ABS with electronic brake distribution. In Cavalier/Calibra only 3 way ABS is installed. That means that just one brake line goes to the rear wheel brakes and you have pressure valves at the rear brakes. With 4 channel system no valves are necessary and two line run to the rear.
Adaption should be too complicated for nearly no advantage. Even at V6 the used system with a second throttle valve is really useful due to mentioned faults.

I also think about the removal of the second valve in my V6.