1989 Opel Vectra GT

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
vectra1903

Re: 1989 Opel Vectra GT

Post by vectra1903 »

This is pretty awkward.... but....

Some things happened.
My mechanic pulled some strings and found some more people that could help me with this rust-bucket.
One guy declined as he was busy for the next couple of months.
The second guy told me that this is a lot of work and money.

So my mechanic got mad and told me to bring it to him. He always rejects bodywork but he agreed to look into this.
We pretty much found out that the undercarriage of this car is in excellent condition, pretty much perfect. The back is pretty bad though, but nothing terrible.
One of the rear suspension mounting points is totally snapped and cracked, the rest is corroded but fixable.
He agreed to fix this up for me and coat it in rust proofing! But he pointed out that this isn't a long term fix for many many years, more like 2-3 years before something else pops up.
The interior shocked him a bit though, there are basically cracks in every place where the boot floor meets another body panel. So he will have to weld in some reinforcing pieces that probably won't last that long but will give me peace of mind for as I said before, 2-3 years.

So we decided to get started with fixing this, it'll probably take a week or two.

But I'm still planning to sell the car before the summer, after the inspection is done and insurance is paid.
That's because this car is totally not financially managable for someone like me, and thinking that a couple of years from now there will be another ton of bodywork to do is making me lose sleep. I'd rather sell it to someone who can fix it properly and use the car for the next eternity. At least is won't go to the scrapper.

I'll update you with more info soon.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is good to hear that your car will live on.

Sadly, any car over 15 years old will cost more to maintain, than it is worth.

Until it becomes so old that it is considered a true classic.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

The Vectra is back on the road now, finally.
It has new springs, some metal welded in the boot coated in Gray Hammerite, some more metal welded on the rear suspension mounts and a lot of rust-proofing.
Of course being the car that it is, it had to give something in return - a probably stuck thermostat and worn out ball joint on the driver side.
There seemed to be a lot of moisture in the exhaust system from the 2 months of standing and not being driven at all because I was leaving clouds of smoke behind for around three days. Now it's cleared up.

My mechanic told me that the fuel tank has to be replaced sooner or later because it's very rusty.
But that's a job for another day.

I really remember now why I like this car so much, I'm glad this 2 month break happened as it's a whole new car to me now! I got so used to the low power and not great handling of our 105hp Honda HR-V that going back to this felt like switching to a sports car. Loud exhaust, rumbling engine and plenty of power. Really nice. Unfortunately the fuel mileage is something that cannot be forgiven...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

By modern standards, yes fuel economy may seem quite poor, but then I have driven a 2015 Ford Kuga diesel with not much better km/litre.

And I believe a 2016 Kia Soul petrol is barely any better at all.

Good to hear the Vectra is back on the road. :D
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Hello! It's been a while. The car is actually doing pretty good, apart from some thermostat problems and a slow coolant leak. Passed its inspection yesterday though.

But a new problem has appeared. The wipers don't park in the proper spot anymore but around 10cm higher. So they don't hide on the bottom of the windscreen. When wiping they go the whole way from the very bottom to the top so it's not a problem with wiper arm adjustment.
Is there any way to adjust the parking position?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It sounds like the wiper relay is sticking.
Releasing too late.

I had this on my Ascona-C (Cavalier mk2).

Does it make a squawking noise just before the wiper stops? Relay chatter, trying to release.
Not sure if it was intermittent wipe only...
It is a few years since I had that car.

It stopped when I replaced the wiper relay.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Robsey wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:09 pm It sounds like the wiper relay is sticking.
Releasing too late.

I had this on my Ascona-C (Cavalier mk2).

Does it make a squawking noise just before the wiper stops? Relay chatter, trying to release.
Not sure if it was intermittent wipe only...
It is a few years since I had that car.

It stopped when I replaced the wiper relay.
Nope, no noise, I have the omega b relay and stalk. Sounds just fine.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have never split the wiper motor casing, so I cannot say what has happened inside your motor assembly.

The only way to know is to pull the motor apart and look to see what has moved.
The gear wheel or the park switch.

Being 80s and 90s technology, it is going to be something very simple to adjust, assuming nothing is broken.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Well, I didn't have time to do anything with the wipers but as it always is with this car the issue had to become even worse to demand some attention from me. After a bit of a spirited drive in the rain the wipers stop in the middle of the windscreen. They of course make the whole cycle when wiping, all the way down and all the way up but they stop in the middle of the windscreen.

Time to give it the attention that it's begging for...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It sounds like the linkage has slipped on the motor spindle.

Thankfully it is not trying to wipe beyond the bottom or side of the screen.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Some sad news today.
This moment had to come sooner or later because of the situation I am in currently.

The car has been put up for sale. A replacement for it has been bought and it's finally time to part with the old Vectra.
It has been very fun going through all of this with you guys and I am unbelievably grateful for all of the help bringing the old girl back to it's glory.
My financial situation is very bad and me and my family decided that this would be the best option. I was worried that the longer I kept the old girl the worse it would get as I wouldn't have the funds to repair it. I am also unable to hide it away in the garage and buy another car, so we bought a replacement for it and are now going to sell it. The new car while definitely not more economical is a tad newer and less needy. It also has an LPG installation so it drives for basically half the price of the old Opel.

It will be immensely sad to see it go as it has been in the family for 25 years and has survived a lot, but it's time for someone else to take care of the beast. I want it to live on as long as it can and I am sure that this would be a problem if I kept it.

I want to thank everybody who helped me in any way during the journey to bring this beast back to shape. I wish you all the best!

I hope to be able to buy this beast back someday and keep it shining in my garage but that is just not possible at this moment and won't be possible for the next couple of years.

I definitely will visit this forum, maybe I will make a thread about the new car as it's also pretty interesting and nice.

But I guess now it's time to finish this thread as my job here is done. Reading this thread does bring tears to my eyes, seeing how it started and how it is going now. I promised to myself that I would keep this car forever, but this just can't be done. I can only hope that my granddad is looking from somewhere above me and he isn't mad at me. He would definitely understand if he was still here with us.

So let this be the last update from me in this thread as from now on I can only hope that the new owner will take care of this machine and it will live a long and happy life.

It has been through all of our ups and downs, it started my first relationship and it taught me how to drive. It showed many people that it can still kick some ass. It always started and ran, with the occasional knock and squeak from the suspension. It definitely got on my nerves many times, but everytime I came back to it I felt happy.

If I were to buy a classic car I would never think of an Opel.
But now?
I don't think I would want any other classic. This is a great vehicle and it will forever be in my heart.

Farewell, Vectra.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is indeed a great sadness after all the good work you have put into the car. :cry

Sometimes, the heart cannot give the best answers, and so the brain and common sense have to take over. :roll:

I am sure your grandad is very proud that you were able to bring the car back from being scrapped a few times.
Just think of the extra time you allowed your vectra to survive... and the smiles it gave you along the journey.

I wish your vectra well in the next chapter of it's life.

And good luck with your next car.
You are still welcome to say hello and join in with the forum, even long after the Vectra has moved on.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Sorry to read this too, car still looks so sweet, the front-end work panel work looks well done and the gloss and shine on the paint is like new. :cry

Hope it finds someone who can save it, bring it back from the brink, keep it around. :thumb
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Welcome back everyone, I have a quick question, before you ask, yes, the vectra is still with me but I will make a bigger update, probably near the summer.

My question is - is the fuel flow damper located on the fuel pump assembly required? I heard that it is kinda prone to failing after so many years and I am thinking if maybe it could be a culprit of my rough idle. I am looking at it because a hose going from it to the filter has burst and fuel is leaking everywhere while the car is running and considering that the "MOT" is on Feb 24th I need to take care of this, so I thought I could also check this out while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Here is what it says in paragraph 18 of the Fuel Injection chapter of Haynes.

vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:07 pm Here is what it says in paragraph 18 of the Fuel Injection chapter of Haynes.

Yes, I read that but well... is "reducing noise" the only point of the damper? Or will removing it cause some other issues, like wear out the pump faster or mess up fuel pressure?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I would have to look at the TIS technical database to see if more info is given.

Later injection vehicles have in-tank fuel pumps, external filter fitted where yours is. But NO damper.

Its name suggests that it is used to smooth out variations in fuel flow and pressure.
I presume the 'noise' is the fuel buffetting through the fuel filter or lines when there are surges.

If it is blocked, then it could cause excess pressure between the pump and the damper -
Maybe enough pressure to burst the hose.

Do you know how old your fuel hose is?
Anything more than 5 years old could crack and split from age-related deterioration.
Especially if using old fuel hose with fuel containing ethanol.

I will see what I can find out from TIS.
UPDATE :- TIS tells me only how to remove and refit the damper.

Looking at it's shape, it reminds me of a crude fuel pressure regulator.

Do you have a fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay behind the fuel injection feed rail?

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay - Google is my friend...

A Fuel Pulsation Damper is used to smoothen the Fuel Pressure and regulate the oscillation of fuel caused by the injectors opening and closing. It uses a diaphragm to absorb pulses in the fuel. They are commonly used in OE applications, and in performance applications can be useful if fuel pressure isn't stable.

There are 'universal' dampers available online.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Robsey wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:36 pm Do you know how old your fuel hose is?
Anything more than 5 years old could crack and split from age-related deterioration.
Especially if using old fuel hose with fuel containing ethanol.

I will see what I can find out from TIS.
UPDATE :- TIS tells me only how to remove and refit the damper.

Looking at it's shape, it reminds me of a crude fuel pressure regulator.

Do you have a fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay behind the fuel injection feed rail?

I think the hose is definitely very old and probably just split because of its age.

I do have the regulator near the injection rail.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

A lot of people remove them and say that they are not required. I removed the one on my GSI while trying to diagnose a problem and found no noticeable difference in the running of the engine
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

iangsi wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:00 pm A lot of people remove them and say that they are not required. I removed the one on my GSI while trying to diagnose a problem and found no noticeable difference in the running of the engine
Interesting. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to bypass it. We'll see what happens :P
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

vectra1903 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:49 pm Interesting. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to bypass it. We'll see what happens :P
Replaced the fuel hose today, omitted the damper and I can't say that I see any difference. I guess placebo makes me feel like the car idles a little bit better, but I can't say for certain. It's definitely not any worse than before, so I guess I won't be using that damper. Just have to get my impact wrench to remove it.... the bolt didn't want to cooperate. Don't want to leave it on there with the hose fittings out in the open, it'll get filled with mud and dirty water in no time, and who knows if I won't ever decide to plug it in again.

As for the hose, I couldn't help but notice the GM branding on it. 35 years is quite a lifespan for a rubber fuel hose.

From this year the standard 95 octane fuel in Poland switched from E5 to E10. The premium 98 octane stuff is still E5. Makes me think if I should start filling up premium from now on... I'd like to avoid anymore fuel gushing disasters if possible...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

E10 does seem to cause a lot of trouble with quicker hose degradation, and also water absorption.

We have had it in the UK for about 4 years.
My Cav has been off the road since March 2020, and has never seen an E10 petrol pump.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

vectra1903 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:07 am Replaced the fuel hose today, omitted the damper and I can't say that I see any difference. I guess placebo makes me feel like the car idles a little bit better, but I can't say for certain. It's definitely not any worse than before, so I guess I won't be using that damper. Just have to get my impact wrench to remove it.... the bolt didn't want to cooperate. Don't want to leave it on there with the hose fittings out in the open, it'll get filled with mud and dirty water in no time, and who knows if I won't ever decide to plug it in again.

As for the hose, I couldn't help but notice the GM branding on it. 35 years is quite a lifespan for a rubber fuel hose.

From this year the standard 95 octane fuel in Poland switched from E5 to E10. The premium 98 octane stuff is still E5. Makes me think if I should start filling up premium from now on... I'd like to avoid anymore fuel gushing disasters if possible...
Took the old machine for a drive today to stretch its legs before the MOT (Feb 23rd) and as far as I am concerned the damper is useless. The car runs exactly the same, the damper came off with some help from an impact driver so all that is left is the filter and pump. I gave it some 98 octane E5 and took it to some nice forest roads and there is no hesitation, misfiring or fuel starvation, runs as good as ever as far as I can tell.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Excellent news.

I think Vauxhall / Opel must have made the same conclusion, because all later vehicles had in-tank pumps and no damper.

I would expect that the car would run much better with the restriction of the damper removed.
A lot more responsive under hard acceleration.