1989 Opel Vectra GT

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Mk3alan

Re: 1989 Opel Vectra GT

Post by Mk3alan »

I replaced the front silencer (no cat) for a straight through pipe section on my CDi and quite honestly haven't noticed any difference! Still got the original rust free original in the loft - just in case!

Alan
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Can anyone give me pictures of the Check Control loom in the engine bay? The cables going to the cooling and windscreen washer tank specifically. I want to know if that is what I have under the bonnet because I have a Check Control module for the dash clocks and I'd like to make that work. I couldn't find the Check Control plug anywhere behind the gauge cluster, does anyone have any idea where it could be hidden?
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Haven't updated this thread in a while. The car has been relatively trouble free. I took it to a shop 30km from my town which specializes in the Opel Kadett, Calibra, Vectra A and others but mostly cars with C20NE, SEH, XE and LET to maybe finally fix my RPM problem. And well, it still isn't fixed. He swapped fuel pumps, injectors, ICVs. I don't know about the AFM or fuel pressure regulator. We thought we had a lead on the dash clocks as they showed the wrong temperature. Replaced them for 240km/h clocks, no change, had to return them.

As for looks I now have front door and sunroof aftermarket wind deflectors which give it that early 90s wealthy Polish taxi look.
I also bought an aftermarket power antenna mast for my Hirschmann unit which broke after a couple of days. The plastic cable that guides it was probably glued on with some sort of super glue and unglued itself. Thank god I heard the motor whirring as I would have a dead flat battery the next morning. I've had a terrible experience with the seller as he totally refused to give my money back but I got it with the help of Buyers Protection. I don't understand why people are like this. Instead of just refunding me and keeping a happy customer he decided to make an idiot out of me and tried to tell me that I bought the wrong thing for my thing and I am just a terrible man and I don't deserve a refund.

Well. I guess that's just how it is nowadays.

Paycheck is coming in a couple of weeks and that means new sport muffler. Decided to go for the original part as I don't have the patience to buy and mount aftermarket with a risk of it being a loud annoying piece of garbage. It is a sport model, yes, but my parents surely wouldn't be happy if I came back to the house late at night with a screaming muffler. I really have my hopes up for this as to me this engine sound very good even with the stock normal muffler. Can't wait to hear it with something a bit beefier.

I guess that's it. I made myself a new list of stuff to do to this car as my original one got completely filled out. I'm very happy with that because if you asked me 2 years ago if I could fill out that original list I would've told you that you are mental. But as it turned out it was totally possible.

Some of the stuff from the new list is:
- definitely a new headlining,
- maybe Vectra 2000 GSi rear lights,
- an SPL subwoofer hidden under the seat,
- air conditioning (I doubt that will ever happen),
- sun visors with light up mirrors,
- new or refurbished steering rack,
- and finally some nice 16 inch alloys for the summer

This is totally obtainable. Well maybe except the GSI lamps and the A/C, but still. Can't wait to have this list also filled out. Ideally I'd like to get the most of it done this year but that's probably not really possible. We'll see!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Many years ago, I heard of some people fitting Vectra-B air-con complete with control panel.

There is a lot of wiring to do, whichever system you use.
The Vectra-A would require extra relays to control the compressor clutch.
Then there is the two-stage radiator fan control.

All very doable, if you are happy to rip out your dash, and you have a full set of donor parts to fit.

I don't know why some vendors are difficult when they supply sub-standard or incorrect parts.
People are not as 'nice' as they used to be.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Robsey wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:07 pm Many years ago, I heard of some people fitting Vectra-B air-con complete with control panel.

There is a lot of wiring to do, whichever system you use.
The Vectra-A would require extra relays to control the compressor clutch.
Then there is the two-stage radiator fan control.

All very doable, if you are happy to rip out your dash, and you have a full set of donor parts to fit.

I don't know why some vendors are difficult when they supply sub-standard or incorrect parts.
People are not as 'nice' as they used to be.
If I were to mount any unoriginal control panel it would have to be this:

It looks out of this world compared to the original climatronic panel.

I am aware of the amout of work needed to do this, that's why it's probably not gonna ever happen and I'll have to forever rely on the sunroof.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

This alternative climate control panel certainly looks good but, because it has buttons instead of levers to control air flow direction and hot-cold air it will of course need an entirely new HVAC unit which has stepper motors to control the flaps in the air ducting. I've experienced a few cars when these stepper motors fail - sometimes with a constant click-click noise - and they are a complete pain to replace without removing the entire dash.
So I rather like the apparently crude Cavalier system with levers and strong cables to open and close the air flow flaps. The only thing that Vauxhall got wrong was to make the bulb illuminating these controls always on with the ignition - so it burns out much quicker and is also a pain to replace. I wonder why they decided to do this when all the other instrument lights only come on with the ignition?
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

chrisp wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:23 pm This alternative climate control panel certainly looks good but, because it has buttons instead of levers to control air flow direction and hot-cold air it will of course need an entirely new HVAC unit which has stepper motors to control the flaps in the air ducting. I've experienced a few cars when these stepper motors fail - sometimes with a constant click-click noise - and they are a complete pain to replace without removing the entire dash.
So I rather like the apparently crude Cavalier system with levers and strong cables to open and close the air flow flaps. The only thing that Vauxhall got wrong was to make the bulb illuminating these controls always on with the ignition - so it burns out much quicker and is also a pain to replace. I wonder why they decided to do this when all the other instrument lights only come on with the ignition?
Yes, the original panel is really charming and I would probably leave it in. The panel pictured is a part of a whole Diavia aftermarket A/C system. It looks much better than the original climatronic, which looks like a bad afterthought.

The original panel looks cool and different from everything these days so it probably would stay like this.

The illumination is a bit crazy though. I replaced the bulb in the panel and I almost lost it when it didn't light up when I turned on the lights. But when I turned the key, bam, it's lit up. I'd at least understand if the bulb dimmed with the instrument cluster when turning the dimmer knob... but it doesn't!
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

For some obscure reason Vauxhall/Opel decided to put the HVAC controls illumination bulb on an entirely different circuit from all the other instrument illumination bulbs, so of course it doesn't respond to the instrument dimmer control. I cannot think of any good (or indeed bad!) reason for them to do this.
And I should have said in my previous post - all the other bulbs only come on with the sidelights/headlights (not with the ignition)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Almost - the light switch illumination comes on with the ignition too.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Ah yes it does! That's logical because you want to be able to see it as it gets dark and its time to turn on sidelights/headlights. All the rest should only come on when you've turned on the light switch though.
I guess it's curious though that, although the HVAC illumination bulb has burned out on my Cav, the light switch one hasn't, even though it's been on for the same amount of time. Maybe the HVAC one is not so well ventilated so gets hotter?
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Sorry to interrupt you guys but I have a question. My temp gauge is not really reliable. When idle and stationary it works just fine, fan kicks on at around 98 degrees, works until the car cools down to around 90. But while driving the temp gauge is closer to the 1/4 mark instead of the 1/2 (90 deg) mark. I've heard of people that have the same thing I do, and people who don't. I've already swapped the instrument cluster for testing and it was exactly the same. Is it a faulty sensor?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My assumption is a faulty thermostat.
Stuck open allowing radiator coolant to constantly run through the engine water jacket.

When idling, there is no air flow through the radiator, to cool the coolant.
When driving normally there is a continual air flow cooling the radiator and the fluid within.

I suspect, your car takes longer than it used to, to warm up from cold.
Both are classic symptoms of the thermostat stuck open.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

Robsey wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:54 pm My assumption is a faulty thermostat.
Stuck open allowing radiator coolant to constantly run through the engine water jacket.

When idling, there is no air flow through the radiator, to cool the coolant.
When driving normally there is a continual air flow cooling the radiator and the fluid within.

I suspect, your car takes longer than it used to, to warm up from cold.
Both are classic symptoms of the thermostat stuck open.
I don't really think it warms up any slower. Well... this problem existed from the very beginning of my driving so maybe I just don't know how it behaves when working correctly? I've had my share of cooling problems in the last 7 months and I was assured that my thermostat is fine
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I recall episodes of heavy fuel consumption, which is common if your engine lakes a long time to warm up.
When cold, the ECU enrichens the fuel.
(Like having the choke on in a carburettor set up).
Did you also have some minor sooting around the base of your plugs a few months ago?

Apologies if I just made this up - I will read through your thread again...
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

I've also had this issue of the temp gauge only getting a quarter of the way up while driving - and, as far as I can remember, this has been a "feature" since the car was around 6 months old when I bought it.
If the car is stationary with the engine idling the temp does rise steadily until the fan cuts in, which then brings the gauge down to the half way mark. I've long suspected the thermostat but, since it's such a pain of a job to access it on the V6 (you need to remove both parts of the air inlet manifold, and then wrestle with a push-in water outlet pipe) I've never bothered with it (and told myself it's just a quirk of the gauge).
I get around 30mpg, which isn't good by modern standards, but is about what's expected for the V6.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yes - I have a similar issue on my Vectra-C Z19DTH diesel.
When stationary or on the odd rare UK hot summer day the engine warms up normally, and the needle will climb to the middle of the gauge. Approx 95°C.

When driving on the motorway, the needle sits permanently on minimum.
Diesels run cooler than petrols anyway.

I have a new stat assembly in my shed, but I cannot be faffed to dismantle half the pipes and cables to get the old one out. Even the temperature sensors are built into the stat assembly.
I still get 47 mpg which isn't too bad on a 17 year old car driving around a busy city like Manchester.
And of course the M60 / M62 ring road - the north west equivalent of London's M25.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

So... update.

Filled out 2 items from my list, subwoofer and muffler.

The sub is as I said before an SPL slim unit which sits nicely below the drivers seat (most likely gonna relocate it to the passenger seat as it's kinda annoying). It gives the much needed bass response without being too obnoxious.

And the muffler is an original sport unit with a nice chrome pipe. It sticks out pretty far though, but I guess that's just how it is. Quick fit, no welding required, nice and easy. Sounds good too, not a big difference inside the car but when standing next to the car it finally has that little sporty sound. Nice bass and rumble.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yes the exhaust tail pipe does stick out and hangs quite low.

It looks very nice with the chrome tip on it.

As for the sub - I am a bit old for all that now.
With a good headunit / radio and some decent speakers, the Cavalier can sound pretty good without a sub.

Sadly a lot of the radios Vauxhall / Opel put out cannot match the build and sound quality of the units put out by the likes of JVC, most Kenwood and most Pioneer.
I found a lot of Sony and Sharp (showing my age) units did not have a very good sound or build quality.

30 year old, dried out, tired old speakers do not help either.
I have never thought of putting a sub under a car seat - but then I never thought that one would fit in there anyway. Must be a very low profile unit.

You car still looks great - you have a good photographic eye.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

I compliment this car too much.

Why?

Because pretty much everytime I say something about reliability or it being overall nice, bad things happen.

I've had a intermittent clunking noise in the rear suspension, but I forgot about it during the summer, it disappeared and I was happy.
It came back around 2 weeks ago which bothered me enough to set up a mechanic appointment. On the 7th the car was taken in and on the 8th I got the phone call.

The diagnosis you never want to get.

"Sir, I'm calling about the Vectra. Well... you either take it to the junkyard or find a damn good bodywork shop."

The whole rear suspension is flopping around freely, the mounts have disintegrated with a fair chunk of the underside.

So chaos ensued. We started looking, asking, thinking, and we got a lead on a good bodywork fixing man. We took the car to him and he said...

"Man, this will have me put in jail."

Begging him to give me some good news he finally came around and said:

"Take out the whole rear interior and call me in about three weeks. You are going to get a whole new floor from the very rear end to the half of the rear seat. It isn't gonna happen any other way."

So that's now my job.

The funny thing is that if I never took it to the mechanic I would've never known about this and I would be still driving like a maniac. Now that I know what is happening in the rear I drive like a very early learner or very old folk. Taking turns at a snails pace, taking speedbumps at crawling speed.
I shouldn't be driving this death trap at all but I unfortunately need to. I don't take it for any unnecessary trips though, only to school and back.

So that's my situation right now.

See you in around a month, with a whole new rear floor and possibly a whole new driving experience!
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

I need to learn to be less optimistic.

I, unfortunately, have some terrible news.
The car is goong to be scrapped.

Yes, you read that right.

I am completely devastated and angry because of this.
The story is pretty much that the only people in my location who do bodywork at acceptable prices either won't even look at the car because it's old or can schedule me an appointment for next year.
I've had confidence in one guy who saw the car and told me to bring it to him. All seemed to be well until he saw that pretty much every seam in the boot is cracked and rusty.
But that's just a fraction of the problem.
The whole undercarriage of the car is basically as structuraly sound as a potato chip. I'd have to put in a whole new floor. Nobody wants to do that in my location as it's a big and lengthy job and they want something quick and easy to earn money fast. This job would cost me probably something near 10 thousand PLN, which is an astronomical amount of money for me. I haven't even found one person who is willing to do this job, everyone declines due to the severity of the situation, it's just terrible. It's even unsafe to jack the car up as pretty much the whole structural part of the car crumbles in my hands.

So there is unfortunately no other decision.
Nobody wants to buy it back, so I'm scrapping it and taking the valuable things out to sell them individually.

It's been a wild experience to own this car and I will never ever forget it. I will also never forget your guys' help. If it wasn't for you the car would not give me as much happiness as it did. Even though it had many problems, it was truly an awesome car. I will never get another car like this and I am unbelievably sad. The whole family is heartbroken as this car is basically another family member. A child, adopted 24 years ago, which lived through everything, all the bad and good.

So what now?
I really don't know. I'll definitely pop in on the forum from time to time, to either share what car replaced this beautiful thing or to share some of the knowledge which I have earned in the last three years.
Would my next car be another Opel?
I don't know. Time will tell.

So with that,
Thank you guys for the immense help and support. I am truly greatful for everything I experienced while owning this machine. And I am greatful for your responses in this thread and many uplifting messages. I will always remember this!
Signing out for now. Will post some updates sooner or later.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sorry to hear about this.
I would be equally as devastated having owned ours for 28 years. :cry:

Corrosion is the biggest killer of these lovely cars.
Sadly very common on almost all pre-2000 cars. :(

Hmm - what replacement car??? Hard to say as nothing around these days has any soul or character. :roll:

You know you will always be welcome to pop back in at any time. :thumb

Good luck with your next motoring adventure.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Sorry to hear that another one has succumbed to the rust monster.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

That's sad news, the first one's always special :cry:

I wish you luck finding a worthy replacement to renew your optimism :)
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
thomas

Post by thomas »

It looked so nice in that picture above, I had meant to compliment you on it sooner, devastated to hear that this adorable car has succumbed.
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Sorry to hear about the terminal rust you found on your car, sounds like poland's authorities are as liberal with salting of the roads just like here in the UK, that's what does it!

you could, if you are lucky, find another Vectra with good bodywork, one with AC and keep it in good condition when you're old one Vectra is too far gone, that's what I done, well, except for the AC and keeping it in good condition :)