1995 2.5 V6 CDX Saloon Manual Cav in Magic Grey Pearl

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: 1995 2.5 V6 CDX Saloon Manual Cav in Magic Grey Pearl

Post by Robsey »

GP123 wrote:I also noticed my headlight/indicator stalk was a bit sensitive too. To the point that if i right indicate and turn if off manually by hand the full beam then came on also. But if i turned the right indicator off by pulling it back a tiny bit whilst moving the stalk then this didnt happen.
That is possibly a fault with the stalk itself.
I had a similar issue a few years ago, where one of the spade connectors on the rear was mis-aligned, and occasionally put the main beam on when clicking off the indicator

In simple terms, the spades are touching intermittently inside the stalk body.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Robsey wrote:
GP123 wrote:I also noticed my headlight/indicator stalk was a bit sensitive too. To the point that if i right indicate and turn if off manually by hand the full beam then came on also. But if i turned the right indicator off by pulling it back a tiny bit whilst moving the stalk then this didnt happen.
That is possibly a fault with the stalk itself.
I had a similar issue a few years ago, where one of the spade connectors on the rear was mis-aligned, and occasionally put the main beam on when clicking off the indicator

In simple terms, the spades are touching intermittently inside the stalk body.
Thanks for the info Robsey, i will certainly get a look into this when i get her back again.

Small update.. The timing belt and water pump along with aux belt and tensioner are due to be completed start of next week! Its been a rather long process getting all of this done now and it feels like ive had the cav a good few years when only its from October of last.

So cant wait to get it back home again and get cracking on with the next thing on the list.

When it comes back it should just be a matter of driving it straight up to the MOT test centre which is roughly 9 miles away from my house so this will be my first proper run out in it legally (as i only have insurance) with all her new goodies put on.

However at the minute this is not as easy as just booking a test date and having a years test on it in a few days due to the ongoing virus i might not be able to get it MOTd to June, July or possibly even August as the centres here are all shut. So its just a shame the way things have worked out this year but at end of the day health is more important!!

Once MOT'd i can get the newly refurbished Turbo alloys put on. These are still at the refurb shop, as they also shut a few days after i had dropped them in at the end of March. But wait till you see the finish on these it will be worth the wait!
I hope to then get the red stripe done on the door rub strips and bumpers right round, this in itself will make a huge difference and bring out the Magic Grey colour imo.

Then the SRI Sideskirts and boot spoiler will need painted and put on also, although summer may well be over by this stage and it will be going into the garage under a cover till next spring again.

I think thats about it, well i think thats all anyway. Next year will be doing bits underneath like stainless brake hoses etc. The underside has already been wax oiled just this week. I went for clear as black wasnt needed to "hide anything" as there is no sins anywhere to be seen. Theres wee heat shields which are a bit rusty looking beside the nice new stainless exhuast so will probably get these sprayed silver just to get everything all nice and tidy.

Thanks for reading. :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

I am sure the wait will be worth it... 8-)
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Yay! Well the cav made it home today. It looked like it had only been washed/waxed in the sunshine that was out at the time of arrival but then i remembered it was polished/waxed a few months before it set of on its adventure and now that its brighter etc i can actually get a good look around it and so on..

But anyway. Its great having no water pump screech and bearing noises which really let it down it was OK when started at cold and was bearable but as it warmed up towards the 90 mark it just had to be turned off as it was a really annoying accumulation of noise.

So let it idle towards the middle mark temp wise and all seems grand! Got a few bits done before sunset. I seen the ignition module for the first time. I never knew of it until i came across a few threads on here talking about them causing emission problems and not firing certain cylinders.. so basically this was the last part ignition/fueling wise that was not done. You can see pictures in Aprils folder on google drive @ this link:-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BkqP0 ... YqoAjhcfiF

It now has a new ignition coil, spark plugs, HT leads, fuel pump relay, fuel pump and ignition module installed.

The car does run very well and i took it a spin to find it very responsive and fresh feeling which im delighted with. It now has red 5 year antifreeze in it. However i feel this might need changed again for next year as everybody knows its very hard to get the V6 engine red out of coolant! I have another gallon here anyways as back up and its not dear at all.

I also got a new genuine oil cap seal installed. Mine was a bit "flat" looking so for sake of 4 quid ordered one up for it. If only everything was a 2 min job eh?

So on arrival my mate said only 2 problems with everything that needed to be done. 1st thing the alternator drive belt turned out to be the wrong fitment. Now the V6s are tricky here as there seems to be 3 belts available for some bloody reason or another. There is 2 for A/C models and 1 for without A/C. Now my V6 HAS A/C from factory and my VIN etc pointed towards the belt being the 2020mm in length.

So that surely means process of elimination that it is in fact the 2270mm belt then? as there only is 1 more that i know of and its for NON A/C models. No biggie will just get the new belt and get it fitted anytime. No big rush for it.

The other problem was the sunroof wind deflector which i ordered from Climair. Now this had to be a made to order item but when its sat on the roof the fitment is just awful.. Theres gaps left and right. Im not sure bending it or starting to screw it into place will even help get it into shape. Plus run the risk of 2 holes then for something that doesnt fit. So not impressed with this and it will have to be returned.

Thats all for today anyway. Have a mint black leather armrest from a Vectra B to go in tomorrow so hopefully it goes in schweet! I had one in my old isuzu td cav so it can be done. Just a matter of getting it screwed in hopefully.

Thanks for reading... :thumb
GP123

Post by GP123 »

So today i got a few things done. A new coolant tank cap arrived so i got that put on. I added a wee V6 badge to the front grill to give the front a bit of a lift for now and then the biggest job of the day was getting the sunroof deflector/bubble on. This was tricky enough but got there in the end!

I was going through switches and lights also. Both my heated seat switches now work. i took the ash tray out to clean it and noticed the panel for the switches came out a bit so sorted that and now the switches click and press in and out as they should. So happy days there then.

I went through my lights and noticed the light on the dash for sidelight bulb out on drivers side. So got out and took the bulb out and it looked grand. So swapped it with the passenger side but this made no difference at all. So im thinking it must be a wiring issue.. anyone any tips etc going? This is the side the timing belt etc was just done so maybe a wire has been touched somewere. But the connector that the bulb goes into and spades look fine to me. If i put the right indicator on when car is off this bulb lights up ok... I take it this is parking mode?! So the sidelight sounds like the switch to me :?

It started to get dark so will get a look tomorrow and see what i can see.

Thanks! :cool
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It sounds like a wire has been damaged in the engine bay.

I am assuming fuses 1 and 21 are intact.
(Side and tail lights - one fuse for each side).
Otherwise the tail light on that side would be affected too.

Grey / black (fuse 1) left side and tail.
From X6 pin 38 to the side light.
And
Grey / red (fuse 21) rightside and tail.
From X6 pin 24 to the side light.

The parking light should be illuminated on the side nearest to the traffic, when parked on a road with a speed limit of 40 mph or above.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks Robsey. I was checking this first thing this morning and done the fuses and looked at the connections and wiring again. The wires seemed to travel along the radiator and over towards the passenger side. However this all looked OK then i took the headlight switch itself out and put back and now its working hurrah! yet another switch. They all seem to be playing up must be due to long periods of sitting and not used! But anyway its working again but i think ill get a switch ordered up anyway.

I put my new manifold plastic divider in today and gave the other divider which sits above it a damn good cleaning as this was all black etc and built all back up.

However the dreaded bearing/screech sound IS BACK! Aghhhhh.. It is back yes but because i got the timing belt kit done along with the water pump and fan belt tensioner these are all quiet and running like should so now this sound is more pin pointed/isolated. As far as my ear can hear it is coming from the bottom right of the engine right at the corner which looks to be the pulley on what looks to be the A/C unit! I will post a video up after this on YouTube.

Here are pictures from today:-

The suspected screeching/bearing like noise when warmed up! As far as i can tell is coming from this :-

GP123

Post by GP123 »

cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Sounds like the bearing is gone in the magnetic pick up think on the compressor.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks mate. I ran her up to temperature today again and noticed that when i turn the car off you know the alternator cooling fan, main fan and probably the electric coolant pump ALL stayed ON for a food 20 or so mins after i turned the car off...

So had to take negative off the battery for now. Is there a timer switch somewere for these to turn on an off?

Thanks guys!
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Well a bit of an update to this after leaving the car with them fans on for roughly 20 mins or so and then just disconnecting the battery. I was looking at the coolant bridge. Now in regards to this i changed the Coolant temp sensor on this for a genuine one as i heard they can give bother (one in middle with blue top)

But the one below it the fat one (that actually bolts one side of the bridge on) i never changed this one and is still likely original but whenever i disconnect this the fans go off straight away. If i plug it back in they come straight back on again!

Now are these known to give bother also with fans running etc, as in is this linked with anything else as in a timer switch or something. Or is it this sensor/switch which directly triggers these fans to run or when to stop again?!

See picture below of said sensor/switch:-

EDIT** I cant seem to find this S29 Switch anywhere on the internet! Just another radiator switch which assume goes somewere on the radiator itself. This is on the coolant bridge itself.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermo-switc ... 1438.l2649

This is the only switch i can find thats even close to the one im on about. It says its M22 thread which is what those coolant bridge bolts are and then on at 100 and off at 95 degrees..

Thoughts?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it is the coolant temperature sensor for the ECU, then the part number is 90 510 183.
But looking at your picture, then it could be the sensor below it in the image.

Neither are for the gauge, which is part number 3439088 and is a single female-spade connection.

That leaves only one other part.
90 462 372
Which is described as -
Switch, Assembly, Water Temperature.

http://www.catcar.info/opel/?lang=en&l= ... 0xNg%3D%3D
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Good man Robsey the cav wizard :). That is right the part number is 90462372.

Ive found a few results for this and one site is looking roughly £68 posted for this part. :shock:

If i put a on-off switch into the lead that plugs into this switch on coolant bridge i can turn the fan, alternator cooling fan and electric pump on and off as i wish. So i might just do this tbh.

I could buy the new switch at over 50 quid and maybe still turn off and on at weird times..
GP123

Post by GP123 »

So yesterday i got a look at this AC compressor to see what was going on and if i could just remove the outside clutch part and let the pulley spin freely just as is as it seemed as if whenever this clutch part was turned by hand it was it that was scraping and grinding.

Here you can see i got a cover off. Now these torx screws didnt need a lot of persuading to be removed. As you can maybe see along the outer lip of this cover there is tiny metal shavings as if something was/is rubbing.

I then tried to remove the 13mm nut that holds the clutch part in and to no avail at all. It just keeps spinning and theres no way of jamming it to undo the 13mm nut in the centre of it. So i left it.

But after 3 warm ups and driving round the yard and turning etc touch wood not even a tiny bit of the grind noise in the videos above has came back yet!! Which is great because its a horrible noise at idle so much so you have to turn the car off.

So whether it was this cover doing the scraping i dont know. But for now all is good in the hood.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Slight update on whats going on with the cav..

Well into May now and still not on the road.. its out of my control i cant get her MOT'd here yet due to the virus. MOT centres are meant to reopen on Monday 22nd June but im not sure if this will happen yet or not. There are mot exemption full year mot certificates being given to cars here but i cant get one due to my MOT being expired over 12 months which sucks to be honest.

So at the minute its parked up in the garage and im just doing bits and pieces here and there. Got the vauxhall matts back in and give the inside a clean etc. Got my sidelights working again as the headlight switch was a bit dodgy but seems to have worked a few weeks now so will probably just leave it.

I have as of today got the spare intake manifold now on with the traction control deleted and the throttle body all nicely polished up inside. So nice and shiny and hopefully better airflow to be had. Polished as far as i could at the ends of all 6 ports coming out of the manifold also. Took the MAF grill out as well inside the tubing as this seemed a bit on the restrictive side to me. Ive read its to give better controlled airflow blah blah but all in all the throttle response has improved noticeably so im happy enough.

I also put a new idle control valve also and then took the dirty red cone air filter off and replaced it with a Ramair black cone air filter. I have to say these are well made for the money. I had never bought one of this company before but im pleased with the quality of it. Just as good as K+N if not better made! Will def buy again.

So thats about all for now anyway. Just a pity it has to sit garaged for now and cant get her out STILL. :wall . But hopefully things get better real soon.

Thanks all.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

That's a lot of good work there, must be frustrating not being able to get her MOT'd, hope you get it done pretty soon. Is your local council's own MOT centre not open? They usually open for taxis and the like, might squeeze you in?
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks! No mate. Here in Northern Ireland we have dedicated MOT centres in different towns throughout the country and all are shut at the minute. We dont have garages here that can perform MOTs. It has been talked about, but thats all unfortunately ..
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I do miss my old V6 sedan in a way, what a motor that was. They are maintenance heavy, but very good to drive. Just took a brief look through the posts, one thing I did with mine was I fitted a wiper stalk from a hatchback model. Sounds silly but when you push forward on it (to activate the rear wash/wiper on hatchbacks) the pump sprays water onto the windshield without the wipers coming on, so you can pre-soak the windshield, then activate the wipers. Useful little trick that.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Well a bit of an update today involving the V6's new alloys. Turbos.

Got a phone call this morning that they were done and ready to be collected. So after work i went and got them. Well pleased! Turned out like new.

So put on some tyre slick and fitted new Vauxhall centre cap badges.

As they say the wheels make a car. :thumb

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Looks good man. Certainly a unique looking wheel design, especially these days.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

A vast improvement on those that were fitted previously.

This will be one really smart car when it is finished.

As an update to your noisy air-con compressor.
The part number for this is 1135312.
Or R1580000
Suitable for late '93 onwards Cavalier (all petrol engines), Astra-F and Calibra.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks lads!! Im in 2 minds on whether or not to bother putting them on the car as its not exactly going anywhere plus she may never get an MOT this year the way things are going. All i can do is hope the testing centres reopen in June... fingers crossed.

I think i have somebody lined up to do the red lining round the cars black trim. Its currently chrome as standard so i think the red stripe will set the colour off more and add to the car. :thumb

No advances made on the SRi sideskirts and boot spoiler yet. Not really bothered getting them on this year, it can wait till next year as the main focus is purely getting the car on the road now ASAP and actually enjoy it rather than see it as an ornament in the garage.

GP123

Post by GP123 »

Well its nice and sunny here today. The graphics fella is meant to be coming tomorrow to "red line" the cav all round. So after i washed her and was standing gazing i was like you know what would look well now is a nice set of Turbo alloys.

So just had to get these threw on and try out the new impact gun which made the job alot easier and quicker that along with my hydraulic jack.

GP123

Post by GP123 »

Todays Update:

So when i was at work the cav got red lined today. Have to say its worked a treat and does set her off more! :)