1995 2.5 V6 CDX Saloon Manual Cav in Magic Grey Pearl

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
GP123

1995 2.5 V6 CDX Saloon Manual Cav in Magic Grey Pearl

Post by GP123 »

Hi everyone,

I have had a few cavaliers over the years but they were turbo diesel isuzu engine ones as i was younger and they were easier insured and ran when compared to petrol ones. As i got older i bought a Mitsubishi Evo as it was a car i always dreamt of buying. Anyways i had it a few years and it was great but i hardly ever drove her due to work etc so i sold it and took the cash instead. So been there done that.

So always loved the cavs and knew i would have another some day but also knew that as each year went by it would get harder to find one but more importantly one that was in decent nick. Here in NI its very hard to find a cav for sale now never mind finding a "good" one.

Searched and searched the internet for months and i think near 4 or 5 years and nothing really caught my attention until one night in October last year i randomly came across a V6 saloon on Marketplace on Facebook. (of all bloody places). So anyway i enquired about it and got a load more pictures and videos of it etc. The only thing was it was in England and i had no way of looking at it.

So took a gamble, organised a transporter from here and then it was the waiting game...a nervous one at that. I can safely say i wont do it again...But she landed back home safe and sound. I was absolutely chuffed with it. Hands down the best cav ive had yet and underneath is super in all the usual places.. sills, boot floor, arches and so on!

Some spec of top of my head:
June 1995
CDX Spec
2.5 V6 C25XE 170BHP Standard engine with 5 speed Manual Gearbox
Full heated black leather interior
Magic Grey Pearl paint
Electric Sunroof
Electric Windows all round
Electric wing mirrors
Air Con (Luton car which is supposetly rare?)
Just turned 100k miles with a FSH and a Folder FULL of history.. (i mean ive never seen history like it with a car ive bought before)

Since then ive been doing bits and pieces and gathered quite a few pictures as you will see. I will try and update the thread with anything new that happens but at the minute the virus has put a halt to everything.

I have uploaded all of the pictures onto Google Drive... however i cant get the pictures to embed onto this website. So heres a link to the whole album suppose its neater than a page full of big pictures..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14D9lZ ... sxsKpsmOTv

Thanks for reading. :thumb
Mazza

Re: 1995 2.5 V6 CDX Saloon Manual Cav in Magic Grey Pearl

Post by Mazza »

Hi, that’s a Nice looking car. I’d say change the alloys, but I see you’ve got some turbo alloys in one of the pics.

Hard to find a good Car with history, let alone One that’s a good 25+ yrs.

Keep us posted on developments...
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks mate. Yeah turbo alloys going on till her. They are off getting refurbed but shops closed at the minute like everywhere else.

Have to get the rear boot spoiler and sri sideskirts painted and put on also.

So as it stands the cav is up at my mates garage to get the timing belt, water pump, drive belt and drive belt tensioner done. According to receipts in the folder the last time the timing belt was done was in 2003 @ 85k miles. Its on 100k dead now but still i was always going to do it just incase anyway.

The other bits getting done were discs and pads all round, calipers painted, stainless exhaust put on, sunroof deflector, CLEAR waxoil and rear brake lines done for my first MOT with her.

Once summers over then ill be seeing what else can be done underneath in terms of refreshing to leave it was fresh again as possible after sitting up for 17 years! Such as all the brake lines being done in copper and stainless brake hoses and then new poly bushes etc.

Thanks. :)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

After so many years of being laid up, I would also recommend inspecting the fuel lines.

Although the original rubber lines on mine are still good in the engine bay, those around the tank had to be replaced due to cracks and splits.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Good call Robsey will have to inspect them. The lines in the bay are real good as ive had them off the fuel rail a few times now.

The hose that connects onto top of the fuel pump pipe though isnt in best of nicks. Its that tight in there to get the hose on and off that its all split and cracked around the end when i was fitting the new pump just as it slids on.

I take it this is the same hose that runs straight to fuel filter underneath? I will probably get this changed tbh but no sure what mm it is.

Thanks.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The fuel rigid pipe is 8mm diameter.
The ends are flared in the same way as the brake lines.

The rubber hoses are 7.3mm bore
Be sure that it is modern stuff that can resist ethanol.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

That looks a really good straight car, and the turbo alloys will really finish it off.

When you mentioned the full history, I though that's a real bonus to see all the previous work done on the car. I got the same with my diplomat, every single bill and reciept, even the original bill of sale.

Well done!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

GP123 wrote: The hose that connects onto top of the fuel pump pipe though isnt in best of nicks. Its that tight in there to get the hose on and off that its all split and cracked around the end when i was fitting the new pump just as it slids on.

I take it this is the same hose that runs straight to fuel filter underneath? I will probably get this changed tbh but no sure what mm it is.

Thanks.
Better access is gained by dropping the two tank straps and detaching the filler spout from the rear quarter.

This will allow the tank to be lowered out.

Watch out for all the rusty flakes and crud that fall off the tank - usually into your eyes.

The lazy / easy way is to run a long rubber hose from the pump, to the filter, and then another from the filter to the rigid line below the rear driver's side inner sill.

Whilst there, run another hose from the rigid return pipe to the stub at the front of the tank - up against the rear passenger seat foot well.

With the tank in place, these are both quite fiddly to get at.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks lads.

Must get that hose sorted Robsey with the pressure of this new pump (as its the correct one thats in it this time) :wall ; it may well burst the dodgey broken down end with the jubilee clip likely the only thing stopping it leaking.

Well ive got more photos of the new stainless exhaust on, discs, pads, calipers sprayed and new mudflaps on.

This can be viewed here in a new folder titled V6 Cav April 20:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... YqoAjhcfiF

At the minute the other things that need done for MOT are the timing belt, water pump, aux belt and aux belt tensioner.

When i bought the car the water pump was screeching and squealing at idle but gets worse a real loud annoying bearing type sound as the car warmed up. So ive never really had it properly warmed up and sitting at 95 is it? Cant mind.

Im not sure my mate wants to attempt the v6 timing belt though with a locking kit needed etc theres a lot going on. So need to find someone else who knows these old vauxhalls.

Thanks for looking. :thumb
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

GP123 wrote:
Im not sure my mate wants to attempt the v6 timing belt though with a locking kit needed etc theres a lot going on. So need to find someone else who knows these old vauxhalls.

I done belt on 2.6 omega, it's actually not that bad a job to do for any well-versed home mechanic. I think what will pose problems on the cavy, is the access to the engine side, even so not impossible, imagine engine would need to be jacked up that side with mount removed. For the locking kit I bought a good 2nd hand one that was the original dealer kit. One of the ones I bought off ebay was actually faulty or for another model.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

GP123 wrote:Well i've got more photos of the new stainless exhaust on, discs, pads, calipers sprayed and new mudflaps on.
What make is your exhaust as it looks alot like the Magnex system I fitted on my GSI & does it sound better ? I know that are all going to look similar as their tubes that run in the same direction / place :p
GP123

Post by GP123 »

cavalier1990 wrote:
GP123 wrote:

I done belt on 2.6 omega, it's actually not that bad a job to do for any well-versed home mechanic. I think what will pose problems on the cavy, is the access to the engine side, even so not impossible, imagine engine would need to be jacked up that side with mount removed. For the locking kit I bought a good 2nd hand one that was the original dealer kit. One of the ones I bought off ebay was actually faulty or for another model.
Yeah my mate was saying the ebay ones arent worth a damn. I think he has somebody local lined up to do it. He just wants to make sure its done 100% right which is fair enough.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

iangsi wrote:
GP123 wrote:Well i've got more photos of the new stainless exhaust on, discs, pads, calipers sprayed and new mudflaps on.
What make is your exhaust as it looks alot like the Magnex system I fitted on my GSI & does it sound better ? I know that are all going to look similar as their tubes that run in the same direction / place :p
The cat back system was made by Piper. First time ive ever bought a stainless steel exhaust and they do look the part to be fair and with good welds.
Hopefully lasts a very long time. There is lifetime warranty but as with everything nowadays im sure theres small print..
GP123

Post by GP123 »

So tonight i was watching a clutch plate on eBay and won it for £9.99.
Its Genuine GM New old stock

So will come in handy when i decide to do the Lightened Flywheel mod which will make a great difference. As everyone knows the V6 has a heavy standard flywheel.

Thanks.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Nearly all Cavaliers from about 1992 (face-lift) were fitted with the heavy pot flywheel.

And many of the bigger engined Cavaliers also had weighted crankshaft pulleys.
Blimey those weighted pulleys are heavy.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

GP123 wrote:
iangsi wrote:
The cat back system was made by Piper. First time i've ever bought a stainless steel exhaust and they do look the part to be fair and with good welds.
Hopefully lasts a very long time. There is lifetime warranty but as with everything nowadays im sure theres small print..
Piper are pretty good I had to buy one of their stainless cat replacement pipes new to go with the 2nd hand stainless Magnex cat back system I put on my car,
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Robsey wrote:Nearly all Cavaliers from about 1992 (face-lift) were fitted with the heavy pot flywheel.

And many of the bigger engined Cavaliers also had weighted crankshaft pulleys.
Blimey those weighted pulleys are heavy.
It wont be done this year anyway, as far as im aware theres good life left in the clutch yet so i might as well make use of it however as she gets a few long runs under her belt it may be a different story but we'll see.

A few bits arrived today in the post:

A new genuine GM lower intake manifold flange. I believe this comes on the X25XE engine as standard. Should be a nice wee upgrade for keeping things a bit cooler rather than the one that comes on a C25XE engine.

A New ignition module/amplifier. Ive been reading through different V6 threads on forums and seen 2 or 3 cases involving this wee chap with messing about only allowing 4 cylinders or 5 to run at idle etc and you cant really tell as the V6 is smooth. The blame is then put on the ignition coil which was probably alright in the first place but is replaced first along with ignition leads...

So since i bought the cav the first place i wanted to start was refreshing what i could to try eliminate any problems that were more than likely going to develop anyway as months went on with more driving from being sat around for a good 17 years.

I replaced the ignition leads, spark plugs, fuel filter, ignition coil and the most noticeable was the new fuel pump that was put in. When i bought the car it took a good 3 to 4 attempts to get her started and idling. I just put this down to well it needs a damn good service anyway. But as i started ordering bits and pieces i thought what the hell do as much as i can then i know what i have. One of these things was a fuel pump.

So i took the old one out and immediately noticed the difference in size between the 2 pumps so i thought i had bought the wrong pump. I put the part number into google of the pump which i had taken out and could only link it with being the pump for an engine that was max 1.8 litre. Corsas, novas etc and the max pressure put out by this pump was 0.7 bar.

Done another bit of googling and found out that the standard fuel pressure for the C25XE engine was 3 bar.. what a big difference. So got my new pump in which was rated for 3 bar, so was the right one for the job and voila. She has started first turn everytime since and sounds/runs alot better.

A few months back i also sent the fuel injectors off to be ultra sonic cleaned as you can see from the picture above and according to the results they werent too bad at all from what i can see. It says the balance was brought to 0% which is good. The main thing i wanted to know is if they passed the leak test and they all did. I guess Bosch done a good job there then.

Apart from that i done another few jobs if you see the pictures in the first album i posted which included doing the oil cooler. This was quite a tricky job as its buried in between the V of the engine but just took my time and it worked out OK in the end. Had to strip back down to it again though a 2nd time as 2 of the wee washers for the banjo bolts that screw into the 2 holes for the oil cooler had fallen onto the ground when first removed.
So once i started it up for the first time i just seen the oil coming out at both ends so sadly had to undo all... but was happier when i found the washers on the ground.. these were 10 pound on eBay!! Madness. So saved a lovely tenner there. What a joke. But anyway job done... Again i know what i have now.

The oil cooler that came out seemed good. That was at 100k miles dead.

I also done the Thermostat. This is right beside the oil cooler. This was harder done than the oil cooler. The tube that connects into the housing and goes onto the curly hose onto the radiator was a nightmare to get off. It just wouldnt pull off AT ALL. Until i was finally going to give up until i wedged a 22mm spanner i think it was in between the bracket and were the bolt goes in for the dipstick and it came out eventually! So got the new one in and greased up the tube for the next time... Theres always a next time right?

Apart from that easier jobs was replacing the rubber bong for the ariel. Made a nice difference appearance wise anyways. Wind deflectors put on, which were very tight may i add. Just left them for 2 days and the windows must have bent them into shape because now the windows go up and down no problems.
Found a new old stock GM fuel pump relay on eBay. So put that in also, as from what i read these die out too with heat and general age.

Also fitted new Handbrake and gearstick leather inside. Again completed the interior inside. Freshened it all up nicely.
Fitted a new radio also. JVC.

Changed the cam cover seals as well. I didnt see any oil on the ignition leads when i took them out to be changed for the new ones which was good. But never seen a reciept for the cam covers ever being done. So for the sake of 20 quid and a tube of cam cover sealant i done them anyway. This was a really easy job in the end for me anyway. As someone had done them! There was no sealant or oil to scrape etc it was all done and all nice and shiney anyway. So happy days. So i put my new cam cover seals on and so on and thats that done also :cool

So yeah done quite a bit i suppose... so far.

.... To be continued

Thanks for reading. :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I do like new shiney parts. - yum yum.

Surprised to see an ignition amplifier.
I had one on my 1987 13S Cavalier Mk2, and on my C18NZ Cavalier Mk3...
But when I upgraded to C20NE, the amplifier was integral within the ECU.

All looking very nice...
Any thoughts of painting the front legs with black smoothrite or similar.?
It will finish the front wheelhouse off nicely.

Same black paint as used on the discs perhaps.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Robsey wrote:I do like new shiney parts. - yum yum.

Surprised to see an ignition amplifier.
I had one on my 1987 13S Cavalier Mk2, and on my C18NZ Cavalier Mk3...
But when I upgraded to C20NE, the amplifier was integral within the ECU.

All looking very nice...
Any thoughts of painting the front legs with black smoothrite or similar.?
It will finish the front wheelhouse off nicely.

Same black paint as used on the discs perhaps.
Yeah Robsey never even knew of it either i thought it was the ignition coil and ecu decided timing. But ah well ill refresh it anyway then i know the fueling side of things is all as new as can be.

Yes good point on the front legs actually they would look lovely painted in a nice fresh black alright! Another job to the list.

I forgot to add the only real outstanding problems since i bought the car is my switches for heated seats mess about for being turned on and off.

Also i think the rear window switches in the centre beside handbrake are at fault. It keeps blowing fuse number 26 which is 30 amp. When i replace the fuse they work but if i lock the car and come back as in turn the ignition dash lights on to get power it blows the fuse. :(. If anyone has had a similar problem.

I noticed there is another wee circle button in between the front and rear switches and if i press the rear buttons this would light up and go off also.

Thanks.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It sounds like issues with the rear window motors or their wiring.

Fuse 26 is for the rear electric windows.
Fuse 30 for the fronts.

The button in the middle - does that have a picture of a stick man on it, or is it blank.?

A stick man is for the rear window isolator switch - to stop kids messing with the rear door window switches.

A blank switch (or with a deep dip in it) is for the pinch guard.
For safety reasons, these are usually not fitted.

I suspect the button you have is the rear isolation switch.
--------------------------------
Okay - faults that blow your fuse.

Issue - 1. Possible faulty window switch panel, if someone has tapped into the wiring like they did on mine many years ago.

Issue - 2. The motor wiring is shorting in the rear door loom, where it passes through the rubber tube between the door-frame / 'b' post and the rear door.
Although wire damage here usually results in a loss of power to the motor. Snapped wires or dirty connector pins.

Issue - 3. The window motor is having to work too hard due to the glass being too tight or mis-aligned in it's runners.
Probably the most likely... especially if it has been stood for some time.
--------------------------

The rear heated seats. Are you sure it is the switches?
They are easily replaced with similar switches.
Just need to check which pin format they are.
There are 4 pin, 5 pin and momentary.
Plenty of spares on ebay.

Depending how good you are with mechanical switches, you could clean the internals and see if that sorts them.

Otherwise check the wiring to the seat mats. It is not unknown for wiring under the seats to snap or become 'intermittent' due to the seats being slid backwards and fowards.

From memory, I am sure the fuse is number 2 in the dash fusebox.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks Robsey! Luckily the issues arent that important but would the electrics all spot on in the car.

The rear windows could well be just sticking as id say they were never used only the fronts. I wonder if theres something that i could put in at the sides of the windows to help them go up and down easier..
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Silicon spray springs to mind.

Lower the window glass...
Spray the felt runner liners.
Then raise the window glass.
Help it with your fingers if needs be to get it going.

Repeat a few times to work in the spray.
(Fuses permitting).
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Nice find :love

I paid for my car 'blind' and travelled 250 miles for it, I wasn't disappointed :D

You might want to snap these up, even for parts, nothing to lose at the price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CAL ... %7Ciid%3A1
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Robsey wrote:Silicon spray springs to mind.

Lower the window glass...
Spray the felt runner liners.
Then raise the window glass.
Help it with your fingers if needs be to get it going.

Repeat a few times to work in the spray.
(Fuses permitting).
Thanks Robsey will give it a shot anyway when i get it back again. :thumb
GP123

Post by GP123 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Nice find :love

I paid for my car 'blind' and travelled 250 miles for it, I wasn't disappointed :D

You might want to snap these up, even for parts, nothing to lose at the price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CAL ... %7Ciid%3A1
Thanks! Yeah its a nervous mission. I dont think i could do it again. I just "had a feeling" about this one...

Nice one on the link, however the seller hasnt mentioned if the switches are working good or not. I think ill take mine out etc first their maybe just sticking. As i also noticed my headlight/indicator stalk was a bit sensitive too. To the point that if i right indicate and turn if off manually by hand the full beam then came on also. But if i turned the right indicator off by pulling it back a tiny bit whilst moving the stalk then this didnt happen.

I think the cars sat that long and the switches need to be used or unstuck. But its possible moisture through time or something has got inside them.