1994 Saloon Cav

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: 1994 Saloon Cav

Post by Robsey »

It is worth keeping an eye on ebay for the chip display.
Or just as easily for a complete radio.

There is some question as to whether Grundig displays will work on Philips radios... and vice versa.
I have a Grundig SC303 and a Philips SC804.
For me the displays are not interchangable.
But others have been okay to mix and match.

There are plenty of the older / simpler SC201s on ebay too.

Just ensure that any radio you get is one with the removable display - not removable key pad.

For info - the code is in the radio... not the display.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Hi all.

Sorry for no updates on this thread. Been flat out with work etc ever since and just never really sat down to upload anything else to this thread since.

Well the cav passed the MOT first time! Her first MOT since 2009. The MOT tester was very impressed with her condition underneath etc, said she was like brand new.. which is nice to hear :)

BIG SHOUT OUT TO ROBSEY AND JAMES!!! For sorting me out with a lovely working standard radio which was the exact same as mine in the cav, but sadly mine had dead pixels and i couldnt even select a radio station. Lads if you want you can have mine in return? James maybe youd like it for your collection or to fix up for yourself.. the thing is like new! Just drop me a PM sure if you want it posting out to you, thanks again.

So from what i mind getting the radiator in for MOT was tight going time wise and i had to make it happen as its very hard to rebook dates here in NI at the minute due to Covid and before that inspection lifts that needed changed throughout lots of centre in the country...

Changing the radiator was easy peasy,, as was topping it up with antifreeze coolant, also changed the thermostat while i was there BUT this held me back a couple of nights as 2 out of the 3 screws heads just fell off when i went to undo them! this was a real pain as i had to drill them out etc. But has been OK since.

So up to now and from her passing the MOT i havent really done much driving tbh, there was a lot of rain etc most weekends and i dont really want her out in it at all if i can help it. The cav is put away into the garage now till Spring. SORNd.

But for the driving i did do i just couldnt get the whole turbo idea out of my head. I havent had a cavalier over 200bhp yet and its always been a dream of mine. Which i have decided WILL happen.

Having weighed up all the options i have decided to go the SAAB B204 route!

I was going to go down the C20LET road however i caught my self on as for the money id be spending on one now could turn out an expensive mission mainly due to many if not ALL of them been either rebuilt, thrashed or appeared in about 20 car engine bays and tesco car parks down through the years just wasnt ticking any boxes for me whatsoever.

Sooo. Found an Autonatic Saab 9-3 Hatchback in Essex. 53k miles from new, 1 owner (Who bought from Saab themselves and states this on logbook also), full service history and so on. Of course "Pop the hood" and low and behold the now imfamous B204 lump! Yay.

For HALF THE MONEY id of paid for a full C20LET engine MINUS a gearbox thats what i got instead.

I have bigish plans for this over the winter and into next year.

It will be a DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME job.

To start of, thanks to Black Friday sales i have gathered the following to help with the B204 adventure so far..........

Oil filter
5 litres of Oil
Rocker cover gasket
Cool running thermostat
stainless rocker cover bolts
water pump
Billet lightened flywheel
Link Monsoon X ECU
A Base Loom

I am in dire need of the right manual gearbox though. I am aiming for 300-350BHP and somehow i dont think my F18 even with 21k miles on it would be able to take this much lol.

Here are some of the latest pictures: -

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

We hear a lot of people who proclaim a plan to fit an alternative engine set up, whether it is a C20LET, or a Z-LET or a Saab B204.

It would be great to actually see a thread being put together showing how this is achieved.
I look forward to seeing more :)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

GP123 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:00 pm

BIG SHOUT OUT TO ROBSEY AND JAMES!!! For sorting me out with a lovely working standard radio which was the exact same as mine in the cav, but sadly mine had dead pixels and i couldnt even select a radio station.
It was our pleasure.
It may have been that the chip display could have worked on your original radio. They often do, as long as the radios are by the same manufacturer (Philips / Grundig).

It is just good to keep another Cavalier in good rude health... even if it is something as simple as a radio cassette player. - Grundig SC303. :)
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

GP123 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:00 pm Hi all.

Sorry for no updates on this thread. Been flat out with work etc ever since and just never really sat down to upload anything else to this thread since.

Well the cav passed the MOT first time! Her first MOT since 2009. The MOT tester was very impressed with her condition underneath etc, said she was like brand new.. which is nice to hear :)

BIG SHOUT OUT TO ROBSEY AND JAMES!!! For sorting me out with a lovely working standard radio which was the exact same as mine in the cav, but sadly mine had dead pixels and i couldnt even select a radio station. Lads if you want you can have mine in return? James maybe youd like it for your collection or to fix up for yourself.. the thing is like new! Just drop me a PM sure if you want it posting out to you, thanks again.

So from what i mind getting the radiator in for MOT was tight going time wise and i had to make it happen as its very hard to rebook dates here in NI at the minute due to Covid and before that inspection lifts that needed changed throughout lots of centre in the country...

Changing the radiator was easy peasy,, as was topping it up with antifreeze coolant, also changed the thermostat while i was there BUT this held me back a couple of nights as 2 out of the 3 screws heads just fell off when i went to undo them! this was a real pain as i had to drill them out etc. But has been OK since.

Here are some of the latest pictures: -

That is an amazing looking car for the age, good find, on gumtree as well, surprised it wasn't snapped up quicker! Sometimes we do find wee gems away in little corners like that though.

The thermostats are famous for the bolts snapping, as it's steel and alloy together, the alloy corrodes and the steel bolt rusts and it welds itself together, that little bolt cannot withstand the huge torque required to break the rusty grip! I did manage to get some of the bolts out of mine, if you want any chance of removing them the trick is to tighten the nut first, that will break the rust but without putting any backward pressure on the bolts, then liberal coatings of WD and slowly tighten and loosen until it starts moving more, then slowly unwind, but always taking a break to wind it back in a bit and to let the penetrating fluid work it's magic.

Noticed on the pic above there is some (albeit light) rust starting on the strut tower, just be aware that isn't creeping in behind the back on the tower, which it will, it's an easy one to miss, if you think behind the spring the opposite way when you're looking in to the wheelarch from outside.

Cheers

Andy
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Well....

It has been a LONG time and Robsey probably assumed i was dead by now, but honestly between work, this project etc i just havent been on here to do an up to date thread.

I can however confirm that this will be the last full on project like this lol. As its been what maybe 2 years now since i said it was for happening. Anyway heres a few pictures on were it is now in August 2023! :)

Awaiting Dyno.. patiently...

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Welcome back fella - :wave

Without putting a morose tint on things, any one of us could have gone to the Vauxhall showground in the sky before now, but I am sure just like me, you would say "You don't get rid of me that easily".
:P
I do like that shade of metallic red - very reminiscent of TurboDan's Z-LET Cavalier featured in Performance Vauxhall magazine probably close to ten years ago.

With that cone filter, do you plan to put a heat shield up to minimise excess engine heat being drawn into the induction system?

I have a friend who is doing a Z-LET conversion, that fitted such a heat shield to avoid heat soak and flat spots.

Two years eh?.
Amazing how time flies.
Whether it is work, finances or other commitments that get in the way. :roll:

I think I have been trying to fix mine for two years, but it is still sat there collecting dust and a colony of spiders.

I suppose the other question is battery location.
Down in the front wheel-arch by any chance where the oversize window wash reservoir would sit?
Strange how I didn't notice the 'lack of battery' at first, until it started messing with my head that something was missing. :scratch

Did you get a Saab gearbox for it, or the usual F16 box that most modders tend to fit?.

Looking good my friend - brilliant work.
Thanks for sharing. 8-) 8-)
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:28 pm Welcome back fella - :wave

Without putting a morose tint on things, any one of us could have gone to the Vauxhall showground in the sky before now, but I am sure just like me, you would say "You don't get rid of me that easily".
:P
I do like that shade of metallic red - very reminiscent of TurboDan's Z-LET Cavalier featured in Performance Vauxhall magazine probably close to ten years ago.

With that cone filter, do you plan to put a heat shield up to minimise excess engine heat being drawn into the induction system?

I have a friend who is doing a Z-LET conversion, that fitted such a heat shield to avoid heat soak and flat spots.

Two years eh?.
Amazing how time flies.
Whether it is work, finances or other commitments that get in the way. :roll:

I think I have been trying to fix mine for two years, but it is still sat there collecting dust and a colony of spiders.

I suppose the other question is battery location.
Down in the front wheel-arch by any chance where the oversize window wash reservoir would sit?
Strange how I didn't notice the 'lack of battery' at first, until it started messing with my head that something was missing. :scratch

Did you get a Saab gearbox for it, or the usual F16 box that most modders tend to fit?.

Looking good my friend - brilliant work.
Thanks for sharing. 8-) 8-)
Yes as far as i know this colour is Satin Red Metallic? I love it. Always liked a saloon in the colour and gsi/turbo kit.

I think a heat shield may well be on the cards but for now thats how it is till its running properly and on the road.

Theres a lot of wiring taken out of the engine bay and done away with and modernised.

Battery has done a "beemer" and found its way into the boot!!

Also did the eye catch power steering?! As it also still has such. :cool
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It did and it didn't...
(Eye catch the power steering).

I saw the powered rack still fitted with it's rigid pipework, but totally failed to notice the missing reservoir.

Inside the glove-box?
A popular place to move the ABS unit if it isn't totally deleted.

A good meaty battery for the Cavalier - type 075. :thumb

The 063 was good for the 90s, but with more kit fitted these days, needing loads of extra power, an 075 or even a 110 battery is needed. Being in the boot, battery tray size is less restrictive.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

I've been regularly coming back to this thread to see if there are anymore updates on this build. Nice to see that it actually lives! Very nice.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:19 pm It did and it didn't...
(Eye catch the power steering).

I saw the powered rack still fitted with it's rigid pipework, but totally failed to notice the missing reservoir.

Inside the glove-box?
A popular place to move the ABS unit if it isn't totally deleted.

A good meaty battery for the Cavalier - type 075. :thumb

The 063 was good for the 90s, but with more kit fitted these days, needing loads of extra power, an 075 or even a 110 battery is needed. Being in the boot, battery tray size is less restrictive.
It is actually mounted onto the subframe with a custom bracket and sits below the inlet manifold out of sight. Engine bay has turned out way better than i ever imagined it would to be honest.

Here is the power steering unit as used from an Astra H from what ive been told..

Here are more pictures from the build up to now and YES far too much money spent on this and YES it is a keeper now lol
GP123

Post by GP123 »

GP123

Post by GP123 »

GP123

Post by GP123 »

Well lads.. Dyno complete! She made 340bhp and it goes like a bat outta hell :)

ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Excellent work :thumb

Your car looks amazing, so rare to see a saloon these days.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Rather nicely done. So no standard ECU's and moved over to a the link module? Would love to know more about the wiring side of it
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

I’m liking the seats & door cards 👍🏻
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Envoy CDX wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:35 am Rather nicely done. So no standard ECU's and moved over to a the link module? Would love to know more about the wiring side of it
Cavalier ECU from the 2.0 8v and 8v engine loom all gone out of the car. The link ecu sits where the standard ecu is to the right of your feet at pedals in behind the trim and is the size of my mobile phone with built in 3 bar map sensor and USB connection for Laptop for tweaking.

It goes from my feet and into the engine bay. The loom isnt very long at all just does the sensors on engine etc theres the VAG coil on plugs/COP and fuel injectors, boost solenoid, intake temp sensor, crank sensor, coolant temp sensor and thats it as far as i mind. Then from dash/windscreen back on the inside of the car. ie all the electrics... electric windows, indicators, horn, radio, interior light, headlights etc etc all works like factory. None of this needed touched. Just needed power from the cable that went to the battery on the standard cavalier body loom. Although my battery is now in the boot also!

I was amazed how much wiring disappeared in terms of engine bay as the standard 1994 cavalier loom is very spaghetti like and a real mess compared to what alls needed now just to run the engine and tune it via a laptop on your knee.

I also run the LINK ECU 7" dash with its gps speedo.. which is really accurate. So no standard cavalier clocks either now. Must see if i can get pictures of what im on about up soon of this also.

Thanks for looking..!
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Interesting, sounds expensive that's for sure though.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Loving the eye for detail, it is an immaculate job throughout.

I know I am often seen as a bit of an electrics whizz on these cars..
but as soon as people go into non-standard programmable ECU's and different performance maps, they may as well be talking a totally different language.

Amazing depth of knowledge.

I can see you have done a very impressive and inspirational 'work in progress' thread here.
Do you plan to do a sort of How 2, to indicate how you actually did these things?

It is amazing how many behind the scenes queries I get about engine and ECU conversion. Especially the Astra Z-LET conversions,
or the Saab B204 / B207 conversions.
We see a few being done, but nothing saying 'this is how I did it'.
And importantly, how they grafted it into the car's electrical system.
Yours sounds like a standalone system that has been wired in totally independent of the main loomage, other than feeds for power and ground.

No pressure to do one, but for knowledge sponges like me, it can be really interesting and eye opening.
But - I guess sometimes it is nice to ensure that yours will always be the only one.

My total knowledge is hearing people from yesteryear going on about Mega-Squirt or just chipping their standard Bosch 20SEH / 20NE / 20XE lumps.
I know they did them, but not a clue what was involved.
So I have no knowledge at all in this respect.