My 1993 SRi XE hatch Satin red

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Greydj

My 1993 SRi XE hatch Satin red

Post by Greydj »

Given the date I bought it in 2006 and the date I joined the forum this post might be regarded as a bit overdue. :lol:

It had 78k miles and cost me a mind blowing £325 as it had a cracked (otherwise known incorrectly as porous) cylinder head. So I got down and investigated and decided I could do it in situ, story in Mig Club posts 399491 and 340906, which I did and its still good at 140k miles. Basically a bargain buy when you know what to do.

At various points it lost its fan wheels, moved to Cesaros and is currently on slabs.

As a daily driver over the years the body has deteriorated and is coming up for needing arches but the sills are OK. Got lacquer fail as well.

Inside it has changed from the light grey interior to the dark charcoal later version.

Engine wise it is a very smooth and strong motor with full claimed power on a RRoad. For a while now its had a tappet click which, after a lot of work, I think is a semi blocked oilway, so cams out again.

More later

John

PS only have photos on my desktop so gotta work out how to put them here.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: My 1993 SRi XE hatch Satin red

Post by Envoy CDX »

Hi John, long time indeed - use something like Imggur and the like and link them in will be the easiest way.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Greydj

Post by Greydj »

A long time indeed. Amazed to still find you here :)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Greydj wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:14 pm A long time indeed. Amazed to still find you here :)
I bounce around from time to time.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Greydj

Post by Greydj »

An era in my life has ended. Having bought it on my birthday in 2006 it has now gone after 70k very satisfying miles.

To a good home, a long term enthusiast in Staffs, known as Bigdrifter back in the VXON days.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Greydj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:46 pm An era in my life has ended. Having bought it on my birthday in 2006 it has now gone after 70k very satisfying miles.

To a good home, a long term enthusiast in Staffs, known as Bigdrifter back in the VXON days.
Oh, anything replaced it? Or are you shrinking the fleet down?
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Greydj

Post by Greydj »

I bought another last summer, a 91 2.0 GL 60k miles also Satin Red. My son uses it.

The SRi with its XE is a different kettle of fish but at 148k miles it had hit the time when it needed serious work and I'm too old for that now. So off it went to someone who would make it theirs.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Sounds pretty good that its gone to live on at least :)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Or more likely, sit in a garage for 10 years while some of us oldies try find time to look at it...
David
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Greydj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:51 pm I bought another last summer, a 91 2.0 GL 60k miles also Satin Red. My son uses it.

The SRi with its XE is a different kettle of fish but at 148k miles it had hit the time when it needed serious work and I'm too old for that now. So off it went to someone who would make it theirs.
It must have been a hard decision to sell.

I would have kept my sri (eco), I just couldn't I afford it when the roof started pin holing between the sunroof and windscreen.
The mechanics I could cope with at the time, I rebuilt the head in the living room in winter after a timing belt break (interference engine).
bodywork defeated me in the end :roll:

I had a 90 gl, my first cav after the mantas, luxurious in comparison, aren't you tempted to use it?

Glad to hear your son's keeping the marque going, I know what you mean about getting too old :(

It's good you have the knowledge to pass onto him. Too many people nowadays are caught up in consumerism and dumbing down, why learn how to fix something when you can just buy a new one :cry:

-matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Greydj

Post by Greydj »

Mmmm, Vexorg seems familiar from the old days :)

Yes it was difficult but I just don't have the time and energy and it needed lots of work, if I was 20 years younger I'd still have it but those days are gone..

My son has been driving Cavs for 30 years si its in good hands, still my car tho.

I don't mind as I have an 86 Mk2 grey Cav, was a 2.0CD auto now a white SRi lookalike with SEH and manual, just over 60K miles. Very quick and is very engaging to drive. That one isn't going anywhere :)