1993 Cavalier Project, 2.0 GLS AUTO, Restoration Work & Start Of Full Black Respray

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: 1993 Cavalier Project, 2.0 GLS AUTO, Restoration Work & Start Of Full Black Respray

Post by Robsey »

Excellent finish on the paint.
Black does suit it well.

Just a query - that rear wiper arm.
Have you had it off?
I am sure that mine parks vertically on the rear screen.

You don't want it smacking down on the spoiler.
Sean986

Re: 1993 Cavalier Project, 2.0 GLS AUTO, Restoration Work & Start Of Full Black Respray

Post by Sean986 »

Robsey wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:18 pm Excellent finish on the paint.
Black does suit it well.

Just a query - that rear wiper arm.
Have you had it off?
I am sure that mine parks vertically on the rear screen.

You don't want it smacking down on the spoiler.
Thanks, I loved the black as soon as I saw it on the panel. Really looking forward to seeing it all painted now.

With the rear wiper I had it stored in the boot whilst the spoiler was off so wasn't sure where it went and just presumed it would be the same as the front.

Should I take it off and move it up to vertical? I've had the battery off for over a week due to all the welding and I only just fitted the wiper arm back on a couple days ago so it hasn't actually been switched on yet
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yes, move it to the vertical position.

I had mine fitted horizontal straight after it's resto, and a few times it clattered over the back lip.

Soon moved it to the vertical position after that.

To be sure...
Remove the arm.
Let the spindle run and park.
Then fit the arm in the vertical position.

Just a thought - whilst you have the welder out, check fot a crack in the outer hatch skin - mine had a crack going from the mounting hole to the left.. approx 5mm long.

Presumably caused by the skin flexing when the arm is in motion.

In fact, you can see it if you zoom in on the photo above.
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Robsey wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:45 pm Yes, move it to the vertical position.

I had mine fitted horizontal straight after it's resto, and a few times it clattered over the back lip.

Soon moved it to the vertical position after that.

To be sure...
Remove the arm.
Let the spindle run and park.
Then fit the arm in the vertical position.

Just a thought - whilst you have the welder out, check fot a crack in the outer hatch skin - mine had a crack going from the mounting hole to the left.. approx 5mm long.

Presumably caused by the skin flexing when the arm is in motion.

In fact, you can see it if you zoom in on the photo above.
Ok once the battery is connected back up ill get it moved to vertical. Where is the crack that your talking about?
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

So today finally marks the end of welding corrosion etc on the back of the cavalier. I wanted to be able to reference it all in the future so theres a few pics of underneath. Feels so much closer to going back on the road now as there so much of the car been checked over and welded.

Underneath pics along with repaired crossmember:

ImageUnderneath by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Since it was parked up after being in the garage the last time i noticed the boot lid never caught any more, I've inspected the catch today and took the cover off to see inside the boot lid but it appears to be broken as it just wont catch at all. I've managed to find a brand new genuine catch on eBay and luckily got an offer for £18 which was actually cheaper than some of the used ones.

ImageScreenshot_20231001_202015_eBay

Every car I've owned in the last 5 years has had wind deflectors but I could not find any for this car at all until i searched Vectra a after Thomas's advice on another thread. I've also ordered reproduction Sri badges for the doors as I plan to do the chrome strip red along with red calipers.

I'm planning to weld in different side repeater mounts from 2 other wings this week so I ordered 2 new connectors and 2 new side repeaters.

Last 2 other bits ordered is 4 GM Mudflaps and what I'm guessing will be a controversial mod Astra Gsi vents. My first cavalier that I had to give up prematurely had these fitted and I told myself if I got another cavalier id fit them.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Here is the crack next to the rear wiper spindle.

Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:51 pm Here is the crack next to the rear wiper spindle.

Had a quick look through the spoiler and cant see any cracks but it isnt the best visibility now lol

Also to follow up ive finally got the wiper moved to verticle positon thanks to your advice:

ImageScreenshot_20231002_155855_Gallery by Sean Boyle, on Flickr
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

With the back of the car now finished for now I have started on the front. First up was the drivers caliper being replaced:

Image20231002_130943 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Image20231002_132001 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Next up will probably annoy a lot of you but I've been struggling to source a gsi front bumper since i got the car. They have either been sold once I've messaged or hundreds of miles away and no one would courier. So in the mean time I've decided to try to make a Gsi style bumper. It will never be a full replica as I don't have the foglights and it would have different bump strips but I guess it will just have to be Gsi inspired atm until I get a genuine one.

Reference pic I used to model it all:

ImageGsi style bumper by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Starting point:

Expanding foam to make the new shape:

Rough shape made up:

Fibreglassed:

First fill:

Not really sure how to feel about it, I guess it will be hated on here?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

We are not here to hate.
It is your car, so it is up to your own personal taste as to whether it is right or not.

Once it is painted black, I am sure it will look different again.
vectra1903

Post by vectra1903 »

There is actually a version of the GSi bumper without fog light "holes". It is very, very rare though, I don't remember which prospect it was in, but it does exist. I don't think it is officially called "GSi" though. You can maybe try and replicate something like that?
thomas

Post by thomas »

The picture with the white stuff looking like shaving-foam or Santa's beard is the best laugh I've had in days. :lol:

I like the front fog-look, and their usefulness, but couldn't get lamps and the thought of cutting holes in a good bumper, and of not getting them in the right places, kept it just an idea. Two bits of tin-foil stuck on the bumper give the same effect visually.
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

All bumper skins are marked on the inside for fog lights.

I cut fog light holes in my bumper many many moons ago.
It is much easier than you think.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Interesting build, nice to see you getting stuck into it.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Robsey wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:25 pm We are not here to hate.
It is your car, so it is up to your own personal taste as to whether it is right or not.

Once it is painted black, I am sure it will look different again.
Yeah I just thought everyone here would have wanted to keep them standard :lol:

Hoping the black will really change the car
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

vectra1903 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:41 pm There is actually a version of the GSi bumper without fog light "holes". It is very, very rare though, I don't remember which prospect it was in, but it does exist. I don't think it is officially called "GSi" though. You can maybe try and replicate something like that?
Hey, I'm guessing thats where the bumper is heading as I cant see me getting the genuine fog lights any time soon, cheapest I've saw them is £300 on ebay for GSI ones. Do you have any idea what to search for to get pics of it?
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

thomas wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:02 pm The picture with the white stuff looking like shaving-foam or Santa's beard is the best laugh I've had in days. :lol:

I like the front fog-look, and their usefulness, but couldn't get lamps and the thought of cutting holes in a good bumper, and of not getting them in the right places, kept it just an idea. Two bits of tin-foil stuck on the bumper give the same effect visually.
Yeah I liked the look of them too but think its just going to be way too complicated and expensive :lol:
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Envoy CDX wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:50 pm Interesting build, nice to see you getting stuck into it.
Thanks mate! Its been a lot of welding to get this far but I'm hoping its going to be worth it all
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

With other work going on in the garage I've not really had much updates really, I've continued with the front bumper to the point its now into dolphin glaze. Also I've replaced the boot catch so the boot now closes for the first time since I've owned it:

Image20231007_172534 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Next up was a mod I had on my first cavalier that I had to get rid of before it was finished and always told myself I would do if I got another one:

ImageScreenshot_20231009_092701_Gallery by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Image20231008_121346 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Image20231007_180221 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Tigersealed on and first time on its own wheels on the ground in weeks:

ImageScreenshot_20231009_092745_Gallery by Sean Boyle, on Flickr
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Not a fan of the vents, but hopefully they will serve a purpose?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index