1993 Cavalier Project, 2.0 GLS AUTO, Restoration Work & Start Of Full Black Respray

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Sean986

1993 Cavalier Project, 2.0 GLS AUTO, Restoration Work & Start Of Full Black Respray

Post by Sean986 »

This is my new cavalier project. Ive been a member here before and this is now my 4th cavalier ive owned.

My first car was a 1.7TD Cavalier in green which i did a lot of restoration work and mods to around 14 years ago. Unfortunately i lost the storage for it and had to get rid. A couple years later i picked up a 1.8 8v which was our first family car, i did the work to get it back on the road and ran it for a while before selling it on. Next up is the one is miss the most, 2.5 v6 Cesaro which i only had for a short period as i had to sell it too.

On to my new cavalier, its a 2.0 8v GLS Auto. 1993 'L' Reg model, it came up local to me and i couldnt resist it as ive always told myself ill get another one. Its extremely rough cosmetically with a huge amount of lacquer peel which the previous owner sanded and tried to work with but i think he just made it worse as theres alot of surface rust.

I got no service history with it but it starts and drove home, planning to a semi restoration on it with some upgraded parts along the way. I have no intentions of selling it any time soon so will be doing the best i can to get the car to a decent condition.

First plans are:

New rear arches
Rear crossmember and sill repairs
Fix idle as it just cuts out if throttle isnt held on
Fix the lacquer peel and bodywork issues
New tyres and service

Once its motd and back on the road im planning a turbo conversion keeping the c20ne engine
thomas

Re: 1993 'L' Cavalier Project, 2.0 GLS AUTO, My 4th Cavalier

Post by thomas »

Good luck, Sean, it sounds a good one, looking forward to seeing how you do and how it progresses. GLS must have lots of goodies, nice interior trim.
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

A quick check of your registration number with the .gov website should allow you to see any historic MOT issues.
It will also confirm mileages for the MOTs since approx 2010.

The GLS is the one below the CD / CDX.
I note from your other thread you are looking for a leather interior. Combined with the C20NE Auto, that will bring it near to a Diplomat. (Air Con would seal the deal).
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

First time using flickr so sorry if pics dont work.

Here was my first pic of the car when i went to get it:

Some more pics of once it was home:

Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

thomas wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:20 pm Good luck, Sean, it sounds a good one, looking forward to seeing how you do and how it progresses. GLS must have lots of goodies, nice interior trim.
Thanks, yeah it had some nice surpises, electric windows and mirrors. I will need to work out what the GLS Spec actually consists of? Pics of it are up now and ill be posting updates as i get started on it.
Robsey wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:08 am A quick check of your registration number with the .gov website should allow you to see any historic MOT issues.
It will also confirm mileages for the MOTs since approx 2010.

The GLS is the one below the CD / CDX.
I note from your other thread you are looking for a leather interior. Combined with the C20NE Auto, that will bring it near to a Diplomat. (Air Con would seal the deal).
I will really need to learn the different models again, im hoping to be able to upgrade and keep to mainly OEM parts if possible but so far parts seem few and far apart nowadays.

Thanks for the info on mots ive checked back and no major red flags. Will be trying to get it motd then have a rolling restoration
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I see it has one of those hi-pass cone filters fitted.
Not ideal if you plan to put a turbo on it.
A lot of heat sucked straight in will cause a few running issues.

The door mouldings have the Chrome strips on.
I suppose the choice is to leave as-is for the GLS / CDX / Diplomat look, paint red for the SRi look, or completely remove for the sleak understated look.

Overall, it looks mainly cosmetic - paint and corrosion.
Nothing overly scary.

As for the turbo - are you looking Lexmaul or an aftermarket unit?

Whilst you are stripping out - don't forget new ethanol compliant fuel lines. Should be 7.3mm bore hoses on 8mm dia rigid lines.
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Robsey wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:52 am I see it has one of those hi-pass cone filters fitted.
Not ideal if you plan to put a turbo on it.
A lot of heat sucked straight in will cause a few running issues.

The door mouldings have the Chrome strips on.
I suppose the choice is to leave as-is for the GLS / CDX / Diplomat look, paint red for the SRi look, or completely remove for the sleak understated look.

Overall, it looks mainly cosmetic - paint and corrosion.
Nothing overly scary.

As for the turbo - are you looking Lexmaul or an aftermarket unit?

Whilst you are stripping out - don't forget new ethanol compliant fuel lines. Should be 7.3mm bore hoses on 8mm dia rigid lines.
Yeah with the bodywork its mainly light surface corrosion and few bubbles at the bottoms of the doors. I will get some pictures of the rot underneath today but the floorpan and usual areas all seem pretty solid just the rear crossmember and sills that have turned into holes but that was with being harsh with screwdriver to see whats needing sorted.

The turbo conversion started as an idea from my last 8v cavalier and the C20 NE should lend itself pretty well to low boost setup due to the low compression.

I have won a stainless tubular manifold on ebay with a t25 flange so that will form the main part of it. Everything else i plan to fabricate myself if possible.

Turbo plans are:
Make a T25 to TD04 adapter
TD04 Subaru Turbo running 7 psi to start with
Wideband sensor and guage
3" Downpipe with lambda boss added
Front mount intercooler

Some things i need to work out is:

Oil feed - does this come from oil pressure sensor or somewhere else?
Injectors - Should i run C20let injectors or is there something better?
Management - Can the standard ecu be remapped or do i need to go standalone

Door mouldings im uncertain on whether to do the strips red or remove them, will need to see what parts i can come across would ideally like to get a full gsi kit but struggling to find any online
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hi,

nice find :thumb

My first cav was a pre-facelift gls. First time i had electric mirrors and windows(front only) and a digital clock/temp gauge - sheer luxury :)
Hopefully you got it at a good price, I haven't seen that much lacquer peel in years! When i did I always pictured a 1970's bodger out with his brush and a tin of yacht varnish, so thick it looks like it could be removed with a can of wd40 and a plastic spatula :lol:

OEM parts are difficult to find after so many years and if you do, it usually means blank cheque time. Gsi parts are even rarer, anyone with one will have snapped up parts years ago and are unlikely to sell.

I like your turbo idea, that would be a nice sleeper :) .
I would stick with some form of door moulding unless the car will never spend time in a car park. They don't protect against shopping trolleys unfortunately but my chrome strips and bumpers have taken a battering from other cars :evil:
Looking forward to seeing your progress
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Not updated this in a while as it had to take a back seat.

I did all the body work repairs I could. I still have some more to do along with replacing rear arches and sills.

Before it came off the ramp I masked it all and resprayed the outside Ford Frozen white just to seal all my work up and to get it all one colour.

ImageFront respray by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Image2023-03-16_09-53-43 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Image2023-03-16_09-54-05 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That does look very nice.
The extra white of the door handles and lower front valance oddly works.

I initially thought that it may have been too much white, but it grew on me quite quickly.

The only down side to white is that every blemish shows quite quickly. Especially if you have bubbling arches etc.

How is the turbo upgrade going.
It is always good to see something different from the norm, every once in a while.
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Thanks, I was hesitant with so much white too but I just wanted it all sealed as it was a real eye sore.

It was painted a while ago now and all the repairs seem to be fine, the rear arches were only just starting to go but as they are so cheap on ebay I bought them and plan to replace them more as peace of mind.

Turbo project is slowly coming together. I want to get it motd first then get it turbod.

Any opinions on what colour it should get painted when it's finished? The white is growing on me though.

Next update should be the tyres, I have full set of toyo proxes tr1s for the slabs and also I've got 4x100 to 5x130 wheel adapters now along with 18" wheels powdercoated grey.

Will try them on and see which wheels I prefer. I was thinking of keeping the slabs mint and just run the porsche wheels if they fit ok
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you are doing the SRi look, then there are only three "popular" colours to go for.
Although who says you have to go an original GM colour? It is down to your own personal taste.

The Polar white is the classic non-metallic colour.

But if you want a metallic finish, then I believe Smoke Grey is awesome...
having worked on a Cav recently, I do like the Diamond Black too.

I will be biased again in the summer when I will hopefully be pounding the roads in my Polar Sea Blue Cav.
Polished up, the blue metallics really pop in the sunshine.
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

A few months back I managed to win some turbo side skirts, 4 in fact along with 3 door strips and the jacking covers.

Finally I came across the missing door strips on ebay as a set of 4 so now I have everything to fit the side skirts apart from the 2 rear small pieces.

ImageCavy updates by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Will be making a start on fitting these today and will see if something can be fabricated for the rear end caps.

Other updates are a oil and filter change along with new ht leads, rotor arm and plugs. I also refitted the Sri spoiler and swapped over to the 17" forged split rims.

Image20230923_175130 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Later this week will be new osf caliper and fixing the rear rot ( crossmember, floor and nsr chassis leg)

Hoping to have it ready to try in for a mot soon.
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Rear crossmember and chassis leg rot:

During:

Image20230925_172308 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Boot floor corner before:

ImageBoot floor by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

During:

After welding and tigersealed:

Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Rot behind rear bumper before:

ImageCrossmember and arch by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

I made up a repair panel in 2 pieces this all tied into the repair work done under the car:

All finished and tigersealed:

Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Passenger rear arch before:

Image20230925_111754 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Drivers rear arch before:

Image20230925_111802 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Whilst the rear bumper was off I got started on the drivers wheel arch repair panel:

Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

First door strip tigersealed on:

Image20230926_142156 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Floor undersealed, no holes so nice and straight forward:

Image20230925_110913 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Started again today on the OSR arch repair panel, got it ground back and then finished the last few welds left to do on it before applying multiple layers of fillers:

ImageDrivers rear arch by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

1st fill:

ImageOsr arch repair by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Last fill:

After that I have moved onto dolphin glaze filler:

Other update so far is the second door strip has been tigersealed on:

ImageDrivers rear arch by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

In preparation of the Porsche split rims and for future wheel options ive also rolled the inside lip of the arch to hopefully avoid any rubbing on the wheels:

ImageRolled arch by Sean Boyle, on Flickr
Sean986

Re: 1993 'L' Cavalier Project, 2.0 GLS AUTO, Restoration Work Begins

Post by Sean986 »

Tonight I am at the point where the osr is almost finished repairs and now into its 1st coat of primer:

Image20230927_164222 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

I've stone chipped the underneath of the arch and also all the area behind the bumper and moved onto the passenger side:

Image20230927_172859 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

I will have a few patches of welding to do tomorrow morning in the bumper area and inside the passenger arch but its almost all solid metal now:

Image20230927_204022 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Image20230927_203957 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr
thomas

Re: 1993 Cavalier Project, 2.0 GLS AUTO, Restoration Work Begins

Post by thomas »

Some pace, I'm dizzy.

Rear-quarters look very tidy work, un-distorted, minimal filler. Might sink a bit, need a few more coats, some time to pass, more flatting, some depth of primer, to come up to the level of the surrounding top layer, factory primers, then the red, the clear, the white.

Rear-crossmember looks past gone, a new panel there looks the only way, unless something can be knocked-up in one big piece.
My last Cav had a patch or two needed there, but it was a trifle compared to that. Brave man. Good luck.
Must confess I liked the red more than the white, though that might be only temporary, and it could grow on me. :lol:
--
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

thomas wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:37 pm Some pace, I'm dizzy.

Rear-quarters look very tidy work, un-distorted, minimal filler. Might sink a bit, need a few more coats, some time to pass, more flatting, some depth of primer, to come up to the level of the surrounding top layer, factory primers, then the red, the clear, the white.

Rear-crossmember looks past gone, a new panel there looks the only way, unless something can be knocked-up in one big piece.
My last Cav had a patch or two needed there, but it was a trifle compared to that. Brave man. Good luck.
Must confess I liked the red more than the white, though that might be only temporary, and it could grow on me. :lol:
Thanks Thomas, once the passenger side arch is finished I'll be giving it 5-6 coats of 2k high build primer then blocking it flat so hoping it will be pretty straight by then.

I've repaired the rear cross member already will get pics of it tomorrow only bit left to make on it is the exhaust rubber mount.

I can only have it on the ramp again for a short period so had to get all the welding done in 2 days.

The white was just temporary as I had loads of it on the shelf.

The plan now is once the repairs are all finished to respray it metallic black. I chose LC9Z Black Magic its a VW / Audi / Porsche paint code and one of my favourite blacks to paint.

I ordered the paint for it today so hopefully it will be painted next week all going well.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Black yes, that gets my vote, I can picture it shiny black already, think it'll suit the side-skirts and stuff, blend them in.
It's just a too loud a white you have at moment, for daylight hours. 8-)
--
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Today I started work again on the Cavalier with the intention of having all the welding finished up on the rear. First up was patching the passenger rear inside arch and tying in all the repairs on each part together underneath and the panel behind the bumper needed a patch of welding too.

Inside welding:

Image20230928_115108 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Tigersealed:

Image20230928_123855 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Other side:

Image20230928_115116 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Image20230928_123849 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Bumper panel:

Image20230928_121603 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Image20230928_123904 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Underneath now the crossmember and floor is repaired:

Image20230928_123927 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

Image20230928_123912 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr
Sean986

Post by Sean986 »

Other update today was the aerial, I had asked for help sourcing a rubber for the outside but when I thought to myself that the aerial wasn't working and having the welder set up already I decided to just do a aerial delete.

Before:

Image20230928_131237 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

During:

Image20230928_135129 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

This also was the point that the passenger side went into dolphin glaze:

Image20230928_171541 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

This may seem like a drastic solution but it fixed one of the water leaks, removed the broken aerial and made it that much closer to being ready for a respray.
Sean986

Re: 1993 Cavalier Project, 2.0 GLS AUTO, Restoration Work Begins - Black Applied

Post by Sean986 »

Yesterday I got 3 coats of 2K High build primer onto the passenger side quarter panel:

Image20230929_141247 by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

This was then sanded this morning with P320 on a da sander and then I had other panels to paint in the garage in black and decided it would be good time to check how the panel was and sprayed it in black aswell.

This gave me a good idea of where the panel was what was left to do, I also painted the panel behind the bumper / crossmember so its ready now for bumper to go back on once its dry:

ImageBlack by Sean Boyle, on Flickr

I also painted one of the wheels to see how it would look:

This feels like a massive step forward as now the rear crossmember area is completely welded up, both arches are replaced and its now all sealed ready for the bumper to go back on soon and start moving forward.