MY 93 L CAV 1.8 LS

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: MY 93 L CAV 1.8 LS

Post by Envoy CDX »

Thinking about changing the car or just the engine?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Envoy CDX wrote:Thinking about changing the car or just the engine?
Was thinking of changing the car tbh as looking on the internet lately there been some nice lower millage cars about with tidier bodies and trim than mine.

An as I'm only working less than 10 minutes walk from my house at the moment was thinking it's a good accuse to get something with a bigger engine as not spending £60 a week petrol costs anymore for commuting and therefore keeping millage and running costs down generally too I hope.

So could be the right time to get something else while I've got the chance. There again have now owned L547 JBM 6 years the longest I've kept a car and it has served me well as an all round car an done everything I wanted an more. My only concern is that if I keep it another year some more through welding may be required and finding someone I can trust and afford to sort it all maybe beyond my means.

Ideally I'd lack to stash it away and carry on gathering parts till one day it can be totally rebuilt to how I want but not sure it's a realistic option.

Besides me and my brother have two other cars that need sorting an could do with sorting them 1st rather than putting my spare cash into a third one.

Struggling to decide what to do for the best as I'm attached to it a lot just not sure if it time for a change?
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

GLC wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Thinking about changing the car or just the engine?
Was thinking of changing the car tbh as looking on the internet lately there been some nice lower millage cars about with tidier bodies and trim than mine.

An as I'm only working less than 10 minutes walk from my house at the moment was thinking it's a good accuse to get something with a bigger engine as not spending £60 a week petrol costs anymore for commuting and therefore keeping millage and running costs down generally too I hope.

So could be the right time to get something else while I've got the chance. There again have now owned L547 JBM 6 years the longest I've kept a car and it has served me well as an all round car an done everything I wanted an more. My only concern is that if I keep it another year some more through welding may be required and finding someone I can trust and afford to sort it all maybe beyond my means.

Ideally I'd lack to stash it away and carry on gathering parts till one day it can be totally rebuilt to how I want but not sure it's a realistic option.

Besides me and my brother have two other cars that need sorting an could do with sorting them 1st rather than putting my spare cash into a third one.

Struggling to decide what to do for the best as I'm attached to it a lot just not sure if it time for a change?
I can relate to that. but really, only you can decide. Sometimes a change is the best thing though.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Envoy CDX wrote: I can relate to that. but really, only you can decide. Sometimes a change is the best thing though.
True wish it was easier to make my mind up. Turned 30 last year and next month I'm 31 an as yet I have never owned what I consider a fast car, it been on my to do list for a while so maybe it's time. Won't stop me looking after the Cav though in the meantime an just brought some more bits off ebay yesterday. :)
Ads

Post by Ads »

GLC wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote: I can relate to that. but really, only you can decide. Sometimes a change is the best thing though.
True wish it was easier to make my mind up. Turned 30 last year and next month I'm 31 an as yet I have never owned what I consider a fast car, it been on my to do list for a while so maybe it's time. Won't stop me looking after the Cav though in the meantime an just brought some more bits off ebay yesterday. :)
buy a cav turbo and have the best of both worlds, its a cavalier and they are fast, Ads
GLC

Post by GLC »

Ads wrote: buy a cav turbo and have the best of both worlds, its a cavalier and they are fast, Ads
Good shout Ads would make an ideal replacement, trouble is there out of my price range at around £3000 up unless someone wants to sell me one in instalments.

Same reason puts an Astra mk2 GTE out of reach which I've always fancied too.

Been offered recently another favourite of mine a none Vauxhall though. A Fiat Uno MK1 Turbo it needs a complete resto with all the parts and more to restore it an was still £1500.

Would like a working car for that money or am just tight!
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

GLC wrote:
Ads wrote: buy a cav turbo and have the best of both worlds, its a cavalier and they are fast, Ads
Good shout Ads would make an ideal replacement, trouble is there out of my price range at around £3000 up unless someone wants to sell me one in instalments.

Same reason puts an Astra mk2 GTE out of reach which I've always fancied too.

Been offered recently another favourite of mine a none Vauxhall though. A Fiat Uno MK1 Turbo it needs a complete resto with all the parts and more to restore it an was still £1500.

Would like a working car for that money or am just tight!
I have a g reg mk1 uno turbo.
If you consider getting please check it well as the floors totally dissolve away from corrosion.
Panels and parts are hard to get, a genuine turbo will be worth a lot of money soon, as there is less than 20 mk1s left on the road today.
Many that are about are reshelled so check the log book
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
GLC

Post by GLC »

btcctroy wrote: I have a g reg mk1 uno turbo.
If you consider getting please check it well as the floors totally dissolve away from corrosion.
Panels and parts are hard to get, a genuine turbo will be worth a lot of money soon, as there is less than 20 mk1s left on the road today.
Many that are about are reshelled so check the log book
Sorry for the overdue reply btcctroy thanks for the advice. It didn't happen in the end with the Uno Turbo sadly, but it isn't so bad as we have a MK1 Uno 45 3dr in the family anyway though it much too nice to chop it about an make into a Uno Turbo replica. Besides before too long it be one of the few MK1's left that isn't a Turbo or a replica. Still won't rule out owning one at some point though.

Back to Cavaliers and just over a week ago I returned from a week in Wales having covered nearly 800 miles not the most epic of mileages covered granted but it good to know that at 21 years old an over 200k on the engine the Cav still happy to soak up the miles when required.

Did see a couple of Cavaliers during my stay and the Cav survived my dads and brothers driving too!

Before I left I had the gear linkaged replaced with a genuine old stock item via Ebay for a bargain £49inc postage. Compared to Vaux £180 as the old one had become very loose with age. Which had in turn started to make 5th gear more difficult to select.

I'd been searching for a few months for one an was hoping to get one at Billing but no such luck then found the one on Ebay one night by chance. To say I was pleased was a massive understatement.

So got plenty of other things to sort out mainly the dreaded tin worm but as the drivers rear arch and rear sill section is crumbling away at a alarming rate I made another Ebay buy last weekend to the Black Country for a pair of arch repair panels and sills for £60. A local Bodyshop quoted me £300 a side so hopefully I can scrape enough together for that to be done in the next month or so as it isn't going to make it through another MOT due Feb 15 as it is.

Also crossing my fingers they do a decent job of it too. Shame I've got the horrible feeling the fuel pipes need replacing 1st as I have got a wiff of petrol fumes under the car since I got back from my holiday. So might be off to a local garage soon for investigation.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Sounds like a nice purchase :D
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Thanks! Got some new wiper linkages too to try and fit as well. Must get that done soon as the current ones are slack to say the least.

Also ordered myself some proper Vauxhall mats today costing me £48 as the aftermarket stuff is rubbish they either keep failing apart or slide about not ideal when they keep moving up against the pedals etc.
GLC

Post by GLC »

Another little update! Last Thursday the central locking packed up suddenly so after 45 minutes of fumbling an head scratching it was sorted. Just the central looking control unit at fault.
So chuffed it wasn't anything more complicated so one unexpected thing fixed.

The rear arches are on hold for the minute as without warning I've found myself without work again after 8 months just when I got on top of things too. :( So hopefully find something soon to get some money rolling in again asap.

My brother has borrowed my Cav this week for work and he said it drew a crowd in the carpark! He said there were impressed with it's condition which was nice. Though a lot of youths reckoned it needs a Redtop in it.

I'm still happy though with the 1.8 for now. :)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Sorry to hear about work, hopefully something will come up soon enough.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Sorry to hear about work, hopefully something will come up soon enough.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Envoy CDX wrote:Sorry to hear about work, hopefully something will come up soon enough.
Thanks that much appreciated. Had a phone call this morning about a job I've applied for yesterday. Going to see them tomorrow so fingers crossed! If not I'm sure I get something else sorted out soon though.

Back to the Cav and got my Mats that I previously ordered from Vauxhall last week. Get them fitted soon i.e next time I clean the inside out so that be something else on my need / want list sorted out.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

GLC wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Sorry to hear about work, hopefully something will come up soon enough.
Thanks that much appreciated. Had a phone call this morning about a job I've applied for yesterday. Going to see them tomorrow so fingers crossed! If not I'm sure I get something else sorted out soon though.

Back to the Cav and got my Mats that I previously ordered from Vauxhall last week. Get them fitted soon i.e next time I clean the inside out so that be something else on my need / want list sorted out.
Sounds like a nice touch.
Good luck!
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Well got myself another issue with the Cav today the heater not working on the No:3 setting so I thought it would be the resistor at fault. Tried Vauxhall for a new one only to be told there no longer available.

So thought not to worry I'll dig out my box of spares an sure enough had 4 of them. Tried them all and still the same!

Am peeved right off as I had a nightmare trying to put it back together due to the screen wash pipe being a pig to reattach. Am at a loss on what to do? Some say it's the interior switch which I did get replaced about 3 years ago with a second hand part as last time it was the cause [ though there no way I want to tackle that job myself ].

Or the motor itself could be faulty. Though I would assume if it was faulty it wouldn't work at all?

I had the original resistor tested by a local garage but they reckoned it seamed ok but I'm not convinced he was 100% sure.

Vauxhall also told me a new interior switch is no longer available along with the none aircon resistor that mine has fitted. The motor is at £150+ vat.

Any ideas people as I hate it not working correctly an really would like to fix it without wasting my limited funds.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

To be fair it sounds like the switch either needs cleaning or replacing. I have 2 spare, if you can get yours out I can always send you one... I know you said you're not confident but if you know anyone else who can, it's an option.. I believe it's just undoing 4 screws, 2 either side of the dash controls, behind the clock and if you pop the steering cowling top half off and the curvy panel under the instrument cluster, you can see the other 2 screws. I believe you can get it out with that, but the slider cables may be tight.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Can you measure the voltage at the the plug to the motor before thd resistor end on slow, med and fast each should show 12+ on each setting. The resistor causes voltage drop reducing the overall speed. Don't rule out a damage connection due to weathering
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

With Troy on this one, could be corroded contacts causing the issues. Take it a step at a time. And you'll find the issue.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Cavalier342 wrote:To be fair it sounds like the switch either needs cleaning or replacing. I have 2 spare, if you can get yours out I can always send you one... I know you said you're not confident but if you know anyone else who can, it's an option.. I believe it's just undoing 4 screws, 2 either side of the dash controls, behind the clock and if you pop the steering cowling top half off and the curvy panel under the instrument cluster, you can see the other 2 screws. I believe you can get it out with that, but the slider cables may be tight.
Thanks for your help I might have the whole panel with the switch somewhere but if not I'm sure to give you a pm for one!

btcctroy wrote:Can you measure the voltage at the the plug to the motor before thd resistor end on slow, med and fast each should show 12+ on each setting. The resistor causes voltage drop reducing the overall speed. Don't rule out a damage connection due to weathering
Envoy CDX wrote:With Troy on this one, could be corroded contacts causing the issues. Take it a step at a time. And you'll find the issue.
I haven't got anyway myself of testing it so maybe I have to get a Auto Electrician to take a look at that for me. Couldn't see anything amiss when I had it apart yesterday but something could be at fault that end still.

AutoVaux can supply me a new resistor for £33.12 inc postage so I get one anyway though unsure if to fit that till I'm 100% as don't want ruin a new part but am tempted to try replacing the switch 1st just to rule it out.

Hopefully if I have got a spare switch I can try it today. Hopefully I can replace it and still have a heater afterwards!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Little multimeter can be gotten from RS Components for around £10.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Envoy CDX wrote:Little multimeter can be gotten from RS Components for around £10.
Thanks for the tip I'll get one once Im working again be handy to have in my toolbox. Good news is I've fixed it. :D Decided to bite the bullet and check the interior switch as found that I did have a spare complete heater control panel with the switch still attached.

Sure enough after a lot of faffing and a few skinned knuckles an a few choice words I managed to remove the switch without upsetting the rods / cables behind. Was clear it was at fault due to two contacts having brown singed marks.

More struggling followed to get it to sit back in the panel and a quick test once I reconnected the battery and all seams well again I hope!

So it all back together again and behaving for the time being. So will look out next time Im down the breakers again when Im working for some more switches / heater motor and resistors to add to my spares set I reckon.
GLC

Post by GLC »

Little update the Cavalier sadly been off the road over a month now after failing the Mot.

As I knew already it failed the Mot on rust to the offside rear part of the sill 4 inch inner and 6 inch outer area. Rear brake pipes and emissions.

Was going to get the drivers sill and arch fitted a few weeks ago at a local bodyshop as previously mentioned for £300 but after getting them to do some bodywork 1st on my dads car due to a small bump I wasn't that impressed with the final result so it put me off using them now.

So was hoping to get a friend to weld in the sill for me but he got too many projects and another extra garage to build so no chance this year!

Got a chap who advertises in my local Bargain Pages for mobile welding to take a look this week but he only wants to do only the sill as he more into the structural welding than the cosmetic side. Just to weld the new sill on is £150 and I'll have to take the front wing off etc myself and then be left with a sill that still needs grinding, filling and painting on top and a arch that still needs replacing which I didn't want to leave but the sill is the only part it failed on rust wise so that's the important part.

Am just a bit lost as what to do for the best anyone know a good welder that cheapish in the Midlands?
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

Did you get the cill sorted mate ?
GLC

Post by GLC »

C20letlad wrote:Did you get the cill sorted mate ?
Hi sorry I hadn't replied sooner haven't been on here for ages!

Wish I could say I had but no I haven't yet. Have had a couple of offers on sorting the welding just the lack of £££s thats stopping me. Car been parked up at my dads since May just before the Insurance ran out.

Funny enough went round Monday evening and jump started it off are Fiat Van as the battary was flat then gave it a much needed wash!

Didn't drive down the street a few times :) reminds me how much I miss driving it and that I must sort it when the cash allows as it just deteriorating more been left on the drive. :(