MY 93 L CAV 1.8 LS

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: MY 93 L CAV 1.8 LS

Post by Envoy CDX »

I'm warey of whats lurking beneath my sills. Any pictures of the WIP on the sills? :)

Still looks like a good job has been made going by your post MOT pics :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

What's left of the bottom of a reinforcing frame inside the middle of the sill. I think that what it is!
Jim cut this right back an welded in a new section before the new outer sill was fitted.

Old sill against's new sill.

Passanger side indicator holder had to be cut of it's wiring as the holder won't fit through the hole in the wing.
Was a bit of a bad design. Refitted this with a soldering iron afterwards.

GLC

Post by GLC »

Just posting up more pics now Envoy CDX. ;)
GLC

Post by GLC »

Passanger rear seatbelt mount from inside the sill. Jim had to weld just bellow this going right up into the arch
had real dfficulty doing it but as ever he got there.

Drive's side wheel arch where a friend of a friend had attempted to weld a repair into the dogleg part of the arch.
Before i had taken it for a mot. As seen in primer.
Note fill primer inside the arch! Was rusting through within a month.
Jim did a better [neater repair] but sadly has bubbled up again. Had repaired the other side too but is going again already
so both arches will need replacing in the future.

Jim modified the sunroof drainage pipe's both sides.
So the water run's out onto the floor behind the front weelarch liner's instead of into the sills. ;)

New sill partly welded on.

How the inside of the cav looked during the sill repairs.

GLC

Post by GLC »

Jim's better repair of the driver's rear arch.

Sill at the primer stage looking much better. :D

Sill finally painted complete with 3M stonechip underneath an along the lip. Driver's side was redone the same.

Inside doorshuts .

Passanger wing finally getting reftted to the car!

GLC

Post by GLC »

Jim treated a rust scab inside the passanger front wheel arch before painting / waxyoling inside the arches.

Rear quarter had bad laquar peel so as jim was making tempory repairs to the lower arch he rubbed it down an
repainted the whole panel. Result.

Had to put one of the orignial steel wheels back on for a day as the alloy wheel kept going flat.
Took it up a local scrappy i use an they removed the tyre an cleaned an resealed it. Been no more touble since.

Alloy wheel refitted before i moved it down to my brothers house were it stood for 2 more months before the final work started.

The cavalier back on the road at last! :D

Didn't get chance sadly to take any pictures of the other work jim an me did over the last 3 nights that it needed before it
went for a re mot on the 4th feb an passed with one advisory of minor rust on the front brake pipe unions. Job before
next year's mot.

An for the win fitted a new vauxhall battery bargain off the shelf for just under £35!
As the old one was past it's best. An spent 35p on a new bolt for the battery clamp as it was rotton.
Though the clamp itself wants a repaint/replacing too. Then last weekend put the new oil an filter on.

Done. :wave

Well what about my future plan's ?

Im just really happy at the moment to have the cav back on the road again an i can enjoy driving it once more.
Have had some really positive comments this last week from friend's to complete strangers about the car which is fantatic.
None of this would have been possible without jim doing all the welding an his help with the other jobs.
If he hadn't have helped then that would have been the end of my cav as it was beyond economic repair an there was no way
i could have afforded to pay a propper garage to do all the work.
An 99 % of them just wouldn't want to bother as it's just another old car in there eyes.

I must admit that a few tears were shed an had sum sleepless nights at the thought of the cav possibly having to be broke up.
But jim helped me keep the faith so to speak and didn't give up etheir.
So to that end no words can express how greatfull i am to him.
The cav now looks the best it's ever been in my ownership an hopefully i can continue to improve the cars condition an add some extra's.

Plan's are,

Would like to fit a pair of vauxhall front mudflaps.
Proper vauxhall mats.
Replace the cracked dashboard an sort out the tatty bit's of interior trim.
Fit new headlights an indicators then fit my headlamp protecters.
Replace rear arches and sort out the underneath of the car propley.
Replace anything outside the car im not happy with i.e anyhing tired or tatty.
Full respray.
Refurb or replace alloys.
Improve the suspension.
Maybe do a saab turbo conversion? Though doubt that would happen but you never know.

Then enjoy it some more. ;)

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

awesome, that was a great read, and hats off to you getting all that work done when many would have walked away. good job! time to buy jim a pint!
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Well done! its been a long road but the results speak for themselves. I really should get my arse into gear and start getting mine back on the road again.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I'm very impressed. Lovely finish too.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
2cavs

Post by 2cavs »

Nice job on repairing the sill

Mine has a rotten floor and arches :(

Wish my GLS was in better condition.

I have now made the decision to break it as the floor is shot and so are both the rear arches :wall
GLC

Post by GLC »

Overdue update just to let you know the cav been going ok since it's return to the road got nearly 159,000 on the clock now which i guess doesn't make much odd's when the secondhand engine that's in it done about 30,000 more. Change the oil an filter a couple of month's ago an replaced the spark plug's, lead's and diss cap an arm.
Found out that the spark plug's were loose! The garage that had fitted them previously 2 year's ago hadn't tightend them up propley. Thank's alot. How the car hadn't blown one of them i don't know. Unsurprisingly the car run's much better now.
Then spent a few days sorting all the small stonechips on the bottom of the door's that were rusting. Much to my shame most of them have been there for the 3 years ive had the car an were well overdue attension. Got them sorted out. The car could really do with a respray but i just don't have the fund's for that. But hopefully one day that can happen.
Then last month had the driver's side front tyre blow out down a lane while taking a lefthand bend at 55mph. :shock: Not recomended. Car spun 180 before stopping facing the oppsite way to which i'd been driving. Luckly damage was minor. Few scrapes to the lower part of the front bumper after touching the grass bank an a bent driver's wishbone plus the alloy took a beating. Skid mark's were impressive. The one's on the road that is.
So had all the brakes cleaned out as a few loose stone's got in them an have since refitted the steel wheels back on for now till i can afford another set of alloys an my mate jim fited the new wishbone to replaced the mangled one an the cav is fine again.
So i recomend avoiding budget tyre's if you can. I certainly won't buy any again unless i have too. Thank's 2cavs for your comment's an sorry to hear bout your cav hope everbody cavs are ok othewise. :wave
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Ouch, sorry to hear about the blowout.
Still rather impressed with this Cav in general :)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Thank's Envoy CDX. Just glad the cav got off lightly it happend so quick too was all over in 30 seconds.
There alot more to be done yet i hope. Been out of work for a few months now an im completely broke so may be a while before any more progress is made with it sadly. Can't afford to tax it the end of the month etheir so may have to sorn till i can. :( Although did go with my mate jim in his mk3 asrtra to billing an got a new genuine bonnet with a few dents that will need sorting before painting as mine is rusting inside like the orignal did on the edge of the seam an a new pair of mirror's an n/s indicator all for £45.
So when im sorted out with a new job im gunna get some more part's to help get it looking more tidy. I want the rear arches sorted out soon as i can then get some replacement alloy's was thinking of getting a set of early mk3 astra GSI alloys ? Can't afford to spend £600- £700 for the new team dynamics alloys i like an would rather spend that kind of cash on sorting the bodywork if i had it anyway.
Jim fitted my electric arieal ive had for over a year today too as some kind sole bent the manual one. Well impressed with that little mod so can't wait to to get some more bit's for it now.
GLC

Post by GLC »

Bn a while so just thought id say hi an let you know the cavs still going strong turned a 162,000 a few weeks ago so the engine is around the 190,000 mark now! Not been much progress as unfortantly im still out of work since july an despite my best effots haven't got a job yet. So just paying for the insurance is a major struggle at the mo. Have changed the oil again though an touched in as many of the stonechips that have appeared as i could before the worst of winter is here. An had to change the electric ariel back to a new manual one as the electric one seized up from my local halfords store as they had one on the shelf luckly.
Had a lance armstrong wanna be cyclist hit the back of the cav last month! Sadly the cavs only dentfree panel the tailgate isn't no more.
But his bike came off worse. What a shame. Got some of the dent out with a hammer not nice, but not happy with it so have to get that sorted out another time once im back in work an can spare some cash. Will hopefullly get the rear arches done at the same time then. :)
Hope everbodys cavs are doing ok. Seen plenty of good stuff going on the forum which is a win.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Hope they paid up for damages!
Sorry to hear about the troubles. If your electric aerial has seized up they can be freed off with a bit of 3in1 and some patience.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
GLC

Post by GLC »

Thank's Envoy CDX didn't get anything money wise unfortantly but im sure his bike would be more expensive to repair an didn't fancy risking
getting into a punch up or worse the other guy with him was giving me mouth an didn't want it to esculate but i told him what i thought of them anyway an left as ive got enough problems as it is! But im sure things will get better soon just been a bit unlucky this year.
Did get some ramdom guy in the street stop me a few months ago an complment my cav saying it was good to one around etc.
Which made me. :D
As for the ariel it jammed halfway up but the motor kept pulling it so kinked the ariel itself it was too late by the time i realised what was happing so that will need replacing. Been to vauxhall an can buy just the ariel antana itself but i haven't got the money hence me buying a new manual one for now. In case anyone dosen't know the early shape vauxhall combo van uses the same manual ariel as the cav so the dealer told me.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Had a lance armstrong wanna be cyclist hit the back of the cav last month! Sadly the cavs only dentfree panel the tailgate isn't no more.
oh no. i did wonder what happens if you get hit by a cyclist who ends up doing significant damage to your car, i mean, cyclists dont need insurance to ride on the road, which is a bit crazy when you think about it, although perhaps not as crazy as asking them to cough up for riding a bike. but when modern bikes can travel so quickly and do serious damage, as you found out, it does pose an interesting question. especially if you're in cambridge, the cyclists around here are insane, they have absolutely no respect or awareness of the highway code at all. they really do think they have priority on the roads due to the sheer number of them. its crazy.

anyway hope your luck turns itself around again soon pal, and hope the dent came out :)
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hey good to see another Cav being saved from the dreaded rust worm, just had Mot on mine and had 250 quid of welding done. Always seems to be more when you start cutting back the rotten metal.

Sorry to hear of the accidents but keep plugging on mate, the Cav is a testiment to your hard work and looks fantastic!
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
GLC

Post by GLC »

Thanks.
Mikebmth wrote:Hey good to see another Cav being saved from the dreaded rust worm, just had Mot on mine and had 250 quid of welding done. Always seems to be more when you start cutting back the rotten metal.

Sorry to hear of the accidents but keep plugging on mate, the Cav is a testiment to your hard work and looks fantastic!
Faiplay for getting the welding done on yours too, like you say when the rust was first being cut out i was stunned by how bad it really was.
I was lucky to have a friend that could weld an be good enough to put the work in an even the mot man couldn't tell it had a new sill which was good when it went back on the road :) There some more to do in the future such as the bootfloor an rear arches an the front inner wing near the turret at some point but given the cars age an its hard life it had before i brought it gotta be expected.

An cheers it easy to forget all the work thats been done over the past 3 years there is plenty more to do but when im sorted i'll try an get some more progress made! All the best with your cav an everbody else's as always.
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

Very impressive what you have done!!!! :thumb
" LS was MORE!! "
soton

Post by soton »

I can't believe how good that come out, I might buy a welding kit and start to learn as it's something Ive always wanted to try.. Probably set fire to my car on my first attempt.. :P
Proud owner of a red 1992 Cavalier "Colorado"

Pics of my Cav
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Fantastic read some impressive work gone into this one :thumb
[center]Image
[/center]
GLC

Post by GLC »

Happy New Year! Bit late i know. Not much of an update but did have x2 new front tyres fitted over xmas as the front tyres were on the limit. Had a bit of hassle at the tyre place i used as they had trouble getting the new tyres to seal but got there in the end thankfully. Though the trackng needs doing an i think some bushes on the front suspension or steering need looking at as somthing doesn't seam right to me but haven't found out what it is. And the rear brakes an handbrake need seeing too as they have got noticeable poorer in recent weeks too.
The tax an mot are up in Feb an as im still without a job an low on cash as well, it's difficult to see me getting the car through the mot if it needs work an i still need to fit the secondhand starter motor to it as it plays up now an then which can leave you stranded if i can't bump start it which happened just before new year so wasn't happy got it going in the end an it's behaving itself at the mo.
cavboy180 wrote:Very impressive what you have done!!!! :thumb

Thank's for the comments i forget sometimes how much work has gone into keeping it on the road an it easly could have ended up a lost cause.
like the idea of the astra sport steels you have on yours a friend got a few sets but might take a bit of convincing for him to part with a set.
soton wrote:I can't believe how good that come out, I might buy a welding kit and start to learn as it's something Ive always wanted to try.. Probably set fire to my car on my first attempt.. :P

Cheer's i was lucky to have a mate who's a great welder an it something i've always wanted to do for myself just the usual story, money, time, lazyness! I'd give it ago if you can afford to buy a basic kit to get you started an practice on somthing you don't mind set fire too first. ;)
Just remenber to rearmove anything plastic or sound deading, carpet etc a friend set fire to his astra mk3 estate bootcarpet last week because he forgot an now he having to replace that an the plastic trim that melted. :oops:
jimmy wrote:Fantastic read some impressive work gone into this one :thumb
Thank you there's plenty more to do have to see how things go with finding work etc. Great looking MK2 cav by the way it was a friend of my dads having a D reg MK2 GLSI hatch when i was a kid an my best friend dads taking us for a spin in his E reg LXI 4dr [if thats all makes sence] that made an impression on me an made me decided to buy this one when i was looking for a car. :)
thomas

Post by thomas »

Great write up and pictures, quality work as well, many of the shots remind me of the trials with my own Cavalier. :wave Your's is an excellent looking colour too, there's one I've occasionally seen around here the same shade, still looks very tidy. :cheers
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

GLC wrote:Happy New Year! Bit late i know. Not much of an update but did have x2 new front tyres fitted over xmas as the front tyres were on the limit. Had a bit of hassle at the tyre place i used as they had trouble getting the new tyres to seal but got there in the end thankfully. Though the trackng needs doing an i think some bushes on the front suspension or steering need looking at as somthing doesn't seam right to me but haven't found out what it is. And the rear brakes an handbrake need seeing too as they have got noticeable poorer in recent weeks too.
The tax an mot are up in Feb an as im still without a job an low on cash as well, it's difficult to see me getting the car through the mot if it needs work an i still need to fit the secondhand starter motor to it as it plays up now an then which can leave you stranded if i can't bump start it which happened just before new year so wasn't happy got it going in the end an it's behaving itself at the mo.
cavboy180 wrote:Very impressive what you have done!!!! :thumb

Thank's for the comments i forget sometimes how much work has gone into keeping it on the road an it easly could have ended up a lost cause.
like the idea of the astra sport steels you have on yours a friend got a few sets but might take a bit of convincing for him to part with a set.
soton wrote:I can't believe how good that come out, I might buy a welding kit and start to learn as it's something Ive always wanted to try.. Probably set fire to my car on my first attempt.. :P

Cheer's i was lucky to have a mate who's a great welder an it something i've always wanted to do for myself just the usual story, money, time, lazyness! I'd give it ago if you can afford to buy a basic kit to get you started an practice on somthing you don't mind set fire too first. ;)
Just remenber to rearmove anything plastic or sound deading, carpet etc a friend set fire to his astra mk3 estate bootcarpet last week because he forgot an now he having to replace that an the plastic trim that melted. :oops:
jimmy wrote:Fantastic read some impressive work gone into this one :thumb
Thank you there's plenty more to do have to see how things go with finding work etc. Great looking MK2 cav by the way it was a friend of my dads having a D reg MK2 GLSI hatch when i was a kid an my best friend dads taking us for a spin in his E reg LXI 4dr [if thats all makes sence] that made an impression on me an made me decided to buy this one when i was looking for a car. :)

Thanks mate that's my old cav sold her on late 2010 it was my uncle who got me into cavaliers he had a mk2 CDi when I was a kid that got wrote off due to some pratt overtaking then he had a mk3 cavalier to funny enough that's how I've done it lol but love em they're fantastic cars :D :D :cool
[center]Image
[/center]