My £50 Bargin ready for restoration

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
rushpuppy

My £50 Bargin ready for restoration

Post by rushpuppy »

Hi all,
Thought id share my £50 bargin with you all, its a H reg Cavalier GSi 2000 4x4, bought it as a non runner with the engine in bits, id been told it just stopped running and that was it, i thought for £50 it be worth a bash. After putting the engine back together and replacing the fuel pump, i finally managed to get it going, althought it rattles like a good'n. You can see my engine knock post in the engine and transmission section. Help would be greatly recieved. As you can see by the pictures, it needs a bit of work to get it looking worthy, the arches are the main body problem, the rest looks pretty good, inside needs a good sort out, the roof lining is hanging down so that needs sorting. Just purchased some Lockwood white dials to jazz up the dials. Wanna try and get my hands on a new interior. The dream would be full restoration then turbo, get as much power as possible and maybe show them evo's a thing or too... :P

Anyways, have a look and i hope you like, any ideas etc, would love to hear them, and i just wanna say this site is awesome, its helping me alot with various problems and its great to see everybody helpping eachother.
Enjoy
Attachments
23052009260 [].jpg
23052009259 [].jpg
£50 bargin
£50 bargin
jambo_sri130

Re: My £50 Bargin ready for restoration

Post by jambo_sri130 »

Looks like a good starting point and for 50 notes too. Why not go for a turbo engine straight away instead of spending lots of time and money on the current one just to get rid in the future?
Sticking feathers up your arse does not make you a chicken!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

ive moted worse, lol it does look good for £50
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Hi, Congrats on your bargain Cavalier i dont think theres many on here who would pass up a gsi for £50.00!
sridan

Post by sridan »

looks like you have got your self a bargain there m8.keep us up dated on the progress.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I thought my £350 LS was a bargain, but a £50 GSi!!!!! :shock: Wow that is basically a gift :D Good luck with the restoration, she deserves it :D Once she's up and running, those evo;s wont know what hit them 8-)
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
rushpuppy

Post by rushpuppy »

Well, the engine is running on its own all though i got a massive leak on the intake side, think thats why she's running rough, its also got a bad knock, which i can only put down to bottom end or piston slap, either way the heads coming off in the next few weeks to take alook inside, ill get the head skimed and ill change all stem seals and relap the valves, i might go for uprated headgasket while its off, pointless doing it again if im going for power gains. Ill take a look at the crank too and check the journals to see if it can be re shelled or worse case replaced. So its safe to say i got my work cut out, realisticly on only working on it a day aweek im going for full restoration this time next year. fingers crossed it'l all go to plan and i can bring this GSi back to what it once was.

Thanks for all the replys it makes it all worth while to know there are other people interested..
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

sure mate thats what this club's all about, checking out each others projects, discussing things, etc :D
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

I enjoy reading about a Cavalier restoration. Yours is a big one but i look forward to seeing it come along.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

fifty quid! ha! the bodykit would fetch you more than that on a certain auction website! nice work!
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

Another bargain!!!. These are getting rarer by the day so you got yourself a bit of a good deal there mate. I can see loads of potential in that car. Keep us updated on how you get on, and please dont hesitate to ask if you need any help and advice on your resto :mrgreen:

ps im soooooooooooooooooo jealous :mrgreen:

Anita
rushpuppy

Post by rushpuppy »

Quick update on Gsi restoration, just fitted lockwood white dials and they look awesome, also fitted blue LED dash lights, looks great at night, chosen an exhaust going for twin round pipes, found a great box on a well known auction site, hope to get fiited soon. Watch this space.. :D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Excellent News!
Squig

Post by Squig »

...£50...

wish I could get a bargain like that...:cry
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome