3.0 V6 Cav

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
iancav6

Re: 3.0 V6 Cav

Post by iancav6 »

HAIRIBO wrote:Sweet! Fancy making me and Sqiug a set???? :p
PM sent
Squig

Post by Squig »

iancav6 wrote:
PM sent
PM not received :(
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Squig wrote:
iancav6 wrote:
PM sent
PM not received :(
Squig,you've been PMed
branny361

Post by branny361 »

what a shame to cover them up they look spot on all shiny
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

branny361 wrote:what a shame to cover them up they look spot on all shiny
I agree, but setting fire to things under the bonnet is even less desirable.
Probably don't need to do the front bank, but wanted to keep them both the same.Theory has it that the speed of sound changes with temp and if each bank is different this will affect the tuning. Helps keep under the bonnet and intake cooler aswell.
hugobond

Post by hugobond »

Cracking job on the fabrication :thumb
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Finally got them finished and fitted.I had to mod the rear bank a bit as it was too close to the driveshaft, so I made the rear secondary longer while I was at it, see the loop under the back manifold. The car now sounds very different, more like a VR6.I think this is because you can hear the firing order better due to the matched primary and secondary lengths.Performance feels better overall, but I think it would probably benefit from being mapped now,once I've done all my other mods though.

Front bank in situ.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

nice work! drop us a pm too if you like, always room for some v6 mods... ;)
Squig

Post by Squig »

They are amazing and I am reconsidering the pm :lol:
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Latest mod to my Cav has been fitting a Vectra V6 inlet system. I have it on good authority(a man who used to build and test them at the factory) that the Vectra set up is the best out out the 3 types fitted to a V6.
The ports are bigger and more direct into the cyl head than the "dogs hind leg"Cavalier type.It also has the benefit of the variable ram valves which I will test on a rolling road to find the best combination. I have just got to fit the Cav type idle valve as when i ran it yesterday using the Vectra type, the idle was fluctuating all over the place.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Me and turbodan put a vectra v6 in a mk3 astravan and its mighty close on the plenums to the bonnet.
Did you keep the 3.0lr inlet divider as countney used to sell it as an "upgrade" for the 2.5.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I have it on good authority(a man who used to build and test them at the factory) that the Vectra set up is the best out out the 3 types fitted to a V6.
unless you want to change the spark plugs that is... :p
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

The bonnet shuts fine, I had to move the dipstick out of the way and remove the loop off the top as it looked like that would hit.
I have had the omega divider on it for a long time as it is a better insulator than the ally Cavalier item.If you have ever taken a standard engine and divider set up for a run then switch off and let the heat soak into the manifold, you will see what I mean.Guaranteed loss of power at the drag strip.

I agree it is a backwards step re the spark plugs, I now have two plenums to remove and not just one :(
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Just bought one of these ECUs, have been trying to get an omega one working with no success, frikin immobilisers :(

http://www.canems.co.uk/

Now i've got this I can tune it as much as i like and map it easily.It has 2 programmable maps for fuel and ignition so i can have a map for normal daily running and at the flick of a switch have a "power"map.Just got to make a loom to fit and away we go.
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

As some of you may know I am making another set of headers for the V6,bought a set of hyundai v6 exhausts from California,£150 delivered.And to go with it i have treated myself to a new TIG welder :D

This is the donor set.

And this is the first trail fit to the engine

Will have to chop the collector off and turn it towards the crank pulley end of the engine aiming for the gap between the sump and subframe
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

If you're leaving the flange with the rectangular piece in place what gasket will you use? Looks very tidy though, already can see an improvement over the Ford items.
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

humbucker wrote:If you're leaving the flange with the rectangular piece in place what gasket will you use? Looks very tidy though, already can see an improvement over the Ford items.
The rectangular plate is my adaptor from VX stud pattern and port shape to the hyundai pipes.Once I'm happy with the overall scheme,I'll trim the plate down to lose any excess metal and weld the two parts together,I will just need the std Vx gasket.
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Another thought I had was whether I could route the pipe as it is and reshape the sump so the main part of the sump is near the subframe,ie the other end to where it currently is??
I have an oil pick up pipe from an Omega which would work.Mmmm now I wonder!!
V6power

Post by V6power »

Fantastic work............now where do i order? :thumb
If in Doubt.......Flat out!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

iancav6 wrote:Another thought I had was whether I could route the pipe as it is and reshape the sump so the main part of the sump is near the subframe,ie the other end to where it currently is??
I think I know what you mean; so essentially flipping the sump horizontally and trying to use the Omega pipe to compensate? You might need to extend/reroute the level sensor too.
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

humbucker wrote:
iancav6 wrote:Another thought I had was whether I could route the pipe as it is and reshape the sump so the main part of the sump is near the subframe,ie the other end to where it currently is??
I think I know what you mean; so essentially flipping the sump horizontally and trying to use the Omega pipe to compensate? You might need to extend/reroute the level sensor too.

First trial fit of the front manifold in the cav,looks pretty good.Sensible clearance to the oil filter,PAS bracket and radiator.Having seen this I will chop the collector off and route the existing way between sump and subframe.Tried the rear manifold on aswell and this hits the driveshaft support bracket which I thought it would but this is only because the collector is facing forward.I'm going to cut the collector off, turn it around and run it towards the back off the car.It all clears the starter and alternator fine.
I haven't got the level sensor wired in on mine,think it was on earlier cars as std?My old blue L reg V6 had various level warning lights that this GLS doesn't.
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Time to get the hacksaw out

5mins later,no going back now, :lol:

One hour later.

HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Once you perfect this would you other a custom made manafold service???????????
C30XE
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

HAIRIBO wrote:Once you perfect this would you other a custom made manafold service???????????
Have been asked by many on here which is flattering. :D
I might take up making them for a living when i retire,but you know how it is trying to do a job like this without annoying the Mrs for spending hours in the garage.I can only nip out there for an hour here and there inbetween work,gardening and so on :lol:
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Lol,well I think most people on here with av6 would kill for a stainless manafold.

You know that they make them off the shelf for the vectra. Would those work?
C30XE