Lowrider Dave's V6

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Cavalier342

Re: Lowrider Dave's V6

Post by Cavalier342 »

Looking good, I like that snowfoam effect, looks like it really gets in there and gets the shit out. Something the African armies need to do to I.S.!!!

Anyways good progress mate.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Pissbiscuits. So the rocker cover gasket for the plastic rocker cover doesn't fit the metal rocker covers, glad I haven't been waiting months for a moment to do the job and discover this.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I changed the bulb in my heater panel, a bit of a pain and the bulb was a pissy tiny thing that doesn’t seem to have made much difference at all! A serious piece of crap design. I took photos of how I did it for a future ‘How To’. As part of my plans to install the VDO I removed the radio and discovered why the aerial never went up or down - the damn thing isn’t connected, it has two incompatible connectors!

There was an awful lot of spaghetti in the back, including this odd heatsink - I presume for the CD player.

Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

A epic over-the-top numerical display meant only one thing - temperate sender was fubarred. The Bay of E coughed up one and it was duly fitted.

Here the engine bay was unravelling fast like some angry kittens with a tapestry. I’m not a sadist, this was for a reason - to fit Vectra metal rocker covers that had been sitting patiently on the shelf all power coated and ready to go.

Gasket funk up. Apparently Vectra and Cavalier V6 rocker covers have different gaskets due to a bit of extra metal on the rocker covers. This cause several days delay whilst proper ones were sent to me.

Whilst waiting, the weather was nice and I lost all sense and decided that this shelf must die. I attacked it with drills and cutting impliments until I removed it’s broken plastic body and stamped on it in victory. All the other pastic parts in the dashboard looks scared and said nothing.

Gasket non funk up, ’tis the right part. Apply gloop and shove on engine.

Then out came these bad boys:
and

…so I could fit everything in place.

As I had dumped the oil, a new filter was spun on - thanks to Pete for supplying that. This is a ‘long life’ type fact fans.

And after I had bolted everything back together, here’s how it looks. All pretty.

Until next time...go away.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

some cracking shots there, and nice updates.
That "headsink" is the suppressor for electrical interference if I recall. Panasonic unit is it?

I hate those Vauxhall aerial fittings - ever ever seems to be a compatible headunit for them.
Adaptors are about 1.50 though.
Or you can replace the vauxhall lead with a typical fitting lead if you can be bothered to pull up the trim in the passenger footwell (lead is about £5 at Halfrauds).
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Thanks.
I wondered what that 'heatsink' was, now I know! Bit large for a suppressor!

I've fitted a new stereo which came with an adapter that plugs in the back but the aerial plug on the wiring loom barely grips it an keeps falling off. I may go the route of a new lead but then again my electric aerial isn't going up properly and clonks about (despite being NOS)...tempted not to bother with radio.
Perhaps the Migboys would come and sort my aerial for me *hint, hint* :D
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Aerial requires some 3in1 oil and alot of patience.

I'd swap the leads out, if anything - it's just a nicer, cleaner fit if you did ever sort your aerial out ;)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Is it an obvious connector in the passenger footwell?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Looking good dave, like the rocker / cam cover really suits the car..

As for the aerial cable I am 99% sure it runs direct from behind the dash to the rear of the car via the n/s sill cover but i'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, they are a bit of a pig to pull out of the small ish gap in the boot but easier to just replace the entire unit

As for the plug I have a standard fit one with the shallow end and a converter plugged into it and have never had any problem with it separating tbh, it does seem loose but stays connected fine.
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I still wanted the existing Cavalier plastic engine cover even though it would mostly cover the nicely power coated Vectra metal rocker covers, but that’s me - always mincing about with bits and wanting something different - as the oil filler cap is now in a different place, I had to measure and cut out plastic to allow it to fit.

To fill the old gap on the plastic engine cover, I added some mesh and held it in place with some gloop - namely Isopon P40.

Then built up layers with Isopon P38, rubbed down, primered, rince and repeat.

I wanted a better heat shield than the stock Vauxhall piece, but my friendly metalworker was no longer available and given that most UK companies aren’t interested in being helpful in the slightest - doing small jobs or helping out individuals - I turned to the internet and bought a specific size piece of polished metal with a view to making my own - funk you, UK small businesses. I drilled holes for the bolts and using clamps to hold it in position, I bent it slowly to the desired angle.

I finally found some time to break out my latest toy, a DA polisher and some Chemical Guys cutting and polishing compounds. For my first attempt, it came out pretty good.

I have a few more clean chores to do before VBOA, so hopefully I'll get them all done. No doubt it'll rain all day and thus undo my good work!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Brilliant work on the engine cover, and welcome to the wonderful world of machine polishing!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Attended VBOA.

ImageVBOA - 12/07/15 by Dave Kirwin

Of course, my photos can be found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davekirwi ... 040012514/
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Level up! MOT got.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Hoorah! Any work needed to get 'the pass'?
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

looking nice Dave, was the mot an easy pass
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Happily, straight through on the MOT, just one advisory - the usual 'oil leak' which is just the sump plug that weeps a little.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Arsebuckets.
So it was Beaulieu today for the Vauxhall Only day and rain was predicted and verily the cloud doth wee upon us.
I got as far as my local petrol station and discovered that I could not unlock the car - the key would not turn! Walked home and got spare key, but that did not work either. Called AA.

Within half hour, AA chap turns up and after tries and consulting electronic gismo decides that entry through boot is required. The alarm did not go off until he put key into ignition! He pops bonnet and pull alarm wire. After some fuse wiggling and trying immobilser on keyfob, he gets the central locking unit to stop clicking. Current is restored to windows so we drop them and then try key in door - and it opens!

I manage to start car as normal after giving immobiler 30 second to reset (is this normal?) and decide to head back home where I can try to figure out what went funny.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

It never rains, but it pours, eh?! Rotten luck there, Dave.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Bugger, hope the investigating finds something fruitful and it's an easy fix. I've seen something similar where the earth for the loom above the central locking motor has come loose, or rusted. Might be worth a look into - you'd probably notice an issue with your drivers side indicator too though.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I'm planning to have a root around the wiring by the door and deadlock box to see if anything is a miss/requires a clean up. All very strange.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

After using the Cav to go to and from work the other week, I parked it in the garage ready for 3 days time and the local meet. Come that morning I turned the key and got nothing - no click just the immobiliser light playing up. After poking about and reseating relays, etc I enlisted the help of local Migweb electrical man - Dan.

Dan and Ben turned up at the weekend for a spot of mincing on the V6. The immobiliser was located and removed, opened an inspected and look 100%, after several head scratching moments and multi-meter tests it fired into life after testing the fuel pump feed - not that it should of fired up but it did...and it continued to restart every time we tried, so it now runs, although we still don't have a definitive reason why it wouldn't start in the first place.
Big thanks to Dan and his methodical approach to things and Ben for lending a hand when needed, but mostly for standing about and bantering.

Ah well, it live to fight another day, although those days could be numbered as I have my eye on a Astra SRI or VXR, which would mean the V6 would be up for sale.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Spoke too soon, problem is back again.
Turns but won't fire, despite working find yesterday.
Sick of this now, so car is up for sale £1400.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Shame to sell her on Dave, such a keeper of a project and a stunning car but know where you coming from as been nosing around myself ever since the accident back in January she ain't the same car and I crave something more comfortable that will eat the miles again..
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Gah! A shame that your solution to ending the problem is to sell the car, especially when the likelihood is that you'll need to sort the problem in order to sell the car :/
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Tits! It started again today when I tried...so I'm increasingly of the opinion it is the front crank sensor. A new one is on order and I'll have to wait until next weekend to fit it and see if that helps. If not, I have heard the CTS also can cause problems, so that may well be another option or the rear crank sensor...the list could be endless... and all I want is a comfortable car now, so an Astra SRI is still very much on the cards.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS