Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Cavalier342

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Cavalier342 »

There really ain't much else to check then. Hopefully the replacement lambda will cure it.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:There really ain't much else to check then. Hopefully the replacement lambda will cure it.
Yup, cure or kill basically.....

Tbh at 135,00 with 40k of those with my disability of a lead right foot it probably needs some internal works, still pulls well however and haven't had the timing checked yet which I probably should do
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Needs a C25XE under there, that's what she needs! lol.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

..and I know where you can get one too, it also comes with a free car!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Needs a C25XE under there, that's what she needs! lol.
Fuel consumption would probably be better than it is now :lol: :(
lowrider dave wrote:..and I know where you can get one too, it also comes with a free car!
Thanks but no thanks mate, lovely motor but omg has it caused some grief
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mikebmth wrote:
Cavalier342 wrote:Needs a C25XE under there, that's what she needs! lol.
Fuel consumption would probably be better than it is now :lol: :(
And it'll drown out your stereo at full throttle lol.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Righty ho.....lol.....

I ducking hate this car or it hates me one or the other!!

So far changed both the coolant sensors, dizzy, plugs and leads and guess what..........The fuel economy is getting worse!! 135 miles to near half a tank!! FFS

Do however now have the new shiny Bosch Lambda sensor in my possesion and will be heading to a mates garage mid week next week to try and fit the bloody thing, heard they can be a nightmare to do so up on the ramps with some proper tooling!! Also going to have a proper look over the fuel lines to make 100% sure we haven't missed something obvious, she also still needs welding under the boot floor which my mate is going to do probably at the same time so fire extinguishers ready people!!

Also asked my mate to check the timing on the old beast as starting to think its a bigger problem than a sensor and with the recent problem with the plugs refusing to go back in the head i am wondering if something more mechanical has shat itself internally.

Also needs:

4 new tyres
Complete audio system rebuild as my subs shat themselves too! 600w rms on bass was too much for them..

Getting pretty fooked off with it now and tbh wish I had got rid and bought Andreis V6 cheap as I did consider it and fancy a saloon cav of which it seems are getting fewer everytime i go looking.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

135 miles to near half a tank? Dude, at full whack, even the V6 would struggle to beat that.. You must either have a leak somewhere or the gauge is drunk...
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:135 miles to near half a tank? Dude, at full whack, even the V6 would struggle to beat that.. You must either have a leak somewhere or the gauge is drunk...
Guage is ok mate, now that as when I filled it last time it took what I expected about 57 litres as was near empty, no sign of a leak anywhere thats the problem and in a way I wish it would just become obvious so we could get on and fix the bloody thing.

Cost me so far over £100 chasing the problem and still no clear answer
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Can't remember if you mentioned it or not, but did you manage to get that sodding fuel filter changed?
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Can't remember if you mentioned it or not, but did you manage to get that sodding fuel filter changed?
Didn't mention it :p

Another job for wednesday night while up in the air!!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Get that done and see how she goes...

P.S. Just to eliminate it, check under the front, make sure Frank Kelly isn't hiding there on your gearbox with a straw tapped into the fuel line...

DRINK!!! :cheers
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Ok just remembered to do Paperclip test, bit late for some parts but got the following after the diagnostic flashes

***-* (31)

Looking this up on topbuzz it relates to NO rpm signal from Crankshaft Position Sensor I believe, could this be the cause of the huge over-fuelling issues??

Any further help on this or ideas would be appreciated, also where is the CPS?? Is it accessible without having to remove all the casing from the timing belt area of the engine.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Just ordered from VCP

90451441N Vauxhall crank speed sensor
9152245N Outside temp sensor

All for £23.00 which I thought was reasonable, just hopes it helps to sort the issues out :?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I think the crank sensor is one of those things that when it goes wrong, the engine doesn't run. Never heard of one to cause fueling issues, but I have been known to be wrong! Outside temperature sensor definitely won't help there, that's just a creature comfort.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:I think the crank sensor is one of those things that when it goes wrong, the engine doesn't run. Never heard of one to cause fueling issues, but I have been known to be wrong!
Did a google search and apparently its one of the main sensors needed to regulate the Ecu and injection system, wish I had checked the paperclip test prior to spending our £100 on other parts now though that is if it cures the issue.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Some details on Crank shaft sensor

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/crankshaf ... sensor.htm

Does state it should illuminate the Ecu light on the dash which did happen before but goes off as car starts each time so I dunno, at £15 though its worth a try I guess.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Fair enough, let's hope it helps!
Previous:

planetc

Post by planetc »

Crank sensor fault won't cause fuelling issues Mike, save the £15. Coolant temp sensor might, the blue topped one, the lambda might, an air leak might, high fuel pressure might, a boot full of subs might, but a crank sensor won't matey.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Coolant temp sensor already done and made things worse, new lambda going on mid week and if that doesn't improve things it'll get scrapped.

Even with the boot system I still got 350 from a full tank.

Sick of spending out on it tbh, owes me too much money.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Did I not see the sensor you fitted on here? You replaced the one with the single wire terminal? If you did then that's not the one you want to be looking at, you need to be looking at the one above the alternator with the square two pin plug on it.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Rechecked paperclip test with engine running and no fault codes bar 12 diagnostic start and end.

Still can't find any leaks!

As I'm at work until mid afternoon I have removed battery + terminal to see if it's a ecu issue and let it reset itself
planetc

Post by planetc »

A coolant temperature sensor can read bad and screw up the fueling without throwing a fault code. It only throws a code if it goes outside th range considered normal. So for example, if the engine is at 80 degrees but the cts thinks it's 5 degrees then it will not give a code or a light but it will run rich. This and lambda sensors are two of the most common causes of what you are experiencing. An air leak from the inlet manifold gasket is also common, which will lean the mixture causing the lambda to sense lean and richen things up to compensate, although this is not so pronounced usually. High fuel pressure is one I have seen on a few occasions, caused by the fuel pressure regulator. The fueling is metered based on a given pressure, usually 2.5-3.0 bar and if the pressure is high then the injection duration will inject more fuel for a given time. The only other non ecu item that is likely to have a pronounced effect on the fuel consumption is the air flow meter. These are mostly simple things to swap out on a diy basis, especially when you have an Andrei handy....just be logical with it Mike and I'm sure you'll solve it.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

planetc wrote:Did I not see the sensor you fitted on here? You replaced the one with the single wire terminal? If you did then that's not the one you want to be looking at, you need to be looking at the one above the alternator with the square two pin plug on it.
He has replaced both of them, in case you didn't see it, apparently it didn't solve the issue. :thumb
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

So far:

New temp gauage sensor
New Coolant temp sensor
New Spark plugs although 2 very difficult to put back in and threads need investigation / clearing I believe
Replaced Distributer cap
Checked all fuel lines
Checked vacuum lines

To be done:

Lambda sensor
Fuel filter (under car one)
HT lead replacement
Check why plugs don't insert cleanly
Second check this time by mechanic on ramps of fuel system
Timing check
Crankshaft position sensor replacement as already placed my order

Burn the bloody thing! :wall

No apparent reason for the fuel increase but IS getting Worse so wondering if something internal has pooped itself!! If this is the case I will either scrap it or it can sit on my drive while I consider a recon / 2nd hand engine for it as will have changed everything else and running out of money quickly and patience to be honest