Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Today Mike and Mr 'High Poster' Andrei came to visit the Lowrider Garage.

They brought the car, parts and the vital essentials - biscuits! Or in the case of Jaffas: ‘cakeybiscuit’.

It started well by staring intently into the engine bay…

…but apparently looking doesn’t solve or fix things so I got down and dirty with a spanner or two to replace the lambda. Which after applications of the persuasive tool (lump hammer) I decided it was better not to round the nut off and advice that professionals attack it instead. This lead to the second job - replacing fuel filter. The screw head had rounded, so I bent back the retaining clip and popped the filter out. The fuel was filthy!

and the filter wasn’t in much better condition.

With job done, there was a lot of chat and standing about before Mike and Andrei left for the sunnier climes of Bournemouth!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Nice write up Dave! You say sunnier climes, we actually got back, went to a local pub for a pint and it F****ing chucked it down...

All good, was nice to catch up and a good day of tinkering and chatting crap as usual,
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

This is what the club is all about. Great to see. :thumb
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Was a good few hours and good to catch up!

Also came across the first time travelling Nissan Micra I've ever seen :lol:

Cheers to Dave for the work put it and generally being a good sport, trying to do this kind of work roadside is a nightmare and the back of my place is just dirt so a mate with a garage is a handy thing to have.

So what did we find:

Lambda is giving no feedback on voltage test
Hole in the Cat which may go quite a way to explaining the poor fuelling of late!

Turns out the fuel lines are all ok but one vacuum hose needs replacement from the ICV to the inlet manifold.

Spark plug bores need looking at but not brave enough yet to try and remove them for the fear they won't go back in again and it becoming a head off job which I neither have the time or talent to do.

Actually got into my very boring work this morning and have managed 315 miles so far and just teetering on the fuel light coming on which is an improvement already, just need to get a new Cat and get the exhaust sorted along with the new Lambda I am hoping to see another improvement.

Apart from that she needs a bloody good clean as seen in Daves pics she is a filthy animal at the moment.
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
planetc

Post by planetc »

That hose is a good contributor too, unmetered sir will weaken the mixture, causing the system to chuck as much fuel in as it can to bring it back
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
VectraGoVroom

Post by VectraGoVroom »

Looking good. Did you have to do any fuel pump fuse pulling or other when you replaced the fuel filter, or can you just pop it right off?
Call them Cavs, but mine's a Veccy. <3
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Nope, no need to pull any fuses, just pop it off, some fuel will escape, if you're on a surface that you don't want fuel to leak on to, just have a small bowl handy to catch it. Tip the filter both ways once you've undone the hoses to get all the fuel out.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Nope, no need to pull any fuses, just pop it off, some fuel will escape, if you're on a surface that you don't want fuel to leak on to, just have a small bowl handy to catch it. Tip the filter both ways once you've undone the hoses to get all the fuel out.
Cheers Andrei, captain top poster to the rescue :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, new Cat now on order and just awaiting delivery then a road trip down to Chichester as me and John have permission to use the ramps at his work so whole exhaust system coming off for renewal of gaskets, hangers etc and also change of the Lambda sensor.

Fuel light finally convinced me to get into the petrol station on 321 miles, could of probably waited but with the way it has been using fuel I didn't want a breakdown situation and even more cr*p in the injectors

Been a headache of late but hoping with the few repairs she will be back out shinning and getting good feedback at shows again :p
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Beware.....Super Massive upload coming below!!

Saturday 2nd April 2016 was definitely do or die day for my Cav and with the help of John from Chichester and his boss Cyril (the best welder i've ever met) who loaned me and John his workshop for nearly 4 hours to crack out as much as possible including welding which Cyril cracked out while we went to Mc D's in the afternoon weary and hungry!

Oh and forgot to take any biscuits as John wanted me at the workshop by 9am so set off at half 7am from Bournemouth and cracked out a rather license losing 110 on the M271 giving her a good clean out, in fact she bloody stank once the cat got hot so expect all the town driving had sooted up the Cat but with a replacement on board I wasn't fussed if it died en route.

Any way pics!!

Hole under the O/s boot floor - forgot to do an after pic as was busy helping put a new rear axle in a Mazda pickup tbh

Exhaust Pics - Old

Exhaust Pics - New

Point I very nearly lost it when I was told the Lambda plug didn't fit the loom!!! Some jokes just ain't funny

Fuel lines etc

Spring seats - done about 2 years ago but not looking their best

So any changes, yep....

On my way to Chichester I filled her up about 5 miles from the workshop and then got lost and did 10 miles plus 80 home to Bournemouth and used about an 8th of a tank upon checking the amount today (sunday 03/04/16)

We did remove the centre pipe on the exhaust and swap it for a a straight through item but I am unsure about this at the moment, does give the car a nice throaty sound but seemed somehow to effect it accelarating when up past 60ish ;) although the roads were wet and I hate driving this car in the rain on busy roads at speed

Otherwise we finished the new boot install too with 2 new to me JBL GTO 1202D (300wrms each) and a Mono Jbl 600wrms amp, still to upgrade the doors but running issues were the order of the day really and she is running or seems to be running better but understand the Lambda will take some time to settle in and devise a program for my driving but hopefully ease the fuel consumption further
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Looking good...

I think I read somewhere that Motronic ECUs (if that's the one you have) do have a "learning" capability where they do adjust themselves according to driving conditions, but I think that's only if you leave the battery disconnected for a while..

Still hopefully this will sort out the over-fueling once and for all.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Looking good...

I think I read somewhere that Motronic ECUs (if that's the one you have) do have a "learning" capability where they do adjust themselves according to driving conditions, but I think that's only if you leave the battery disconnected for a while..

Still hopefully this will sort out the over-fueling once and for all.
Just checked Topbuzz website and it seems the majority of Cavs had Motronic 1.5 Ecu fitted all bar the Gsi / Turbo which carried the Motronic 1.7 but don't quote me on that as I am getting into the techy zone where I have no idea!

Mechanics given the space and proper tooling are easy, electrics I can work out but computer systems are a no go area....lol....

See how she does this month, couple of trips up and down the motorway to meets etc planned also so that should help things too.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Forgot to add....

Temporarily made up a inlet to ICV pipe from an old ICV L shape pipe, fits well but plan to measure most of the pipes and replace with silicone given time and money

Also the plugs are still to be looked at but shouldn't cause any fueling issue as they are brand new, plans to waxoil the complete underside of the car this year and have a general tidy up plus redo the crappy welding that was recently done and not forgetting either get some tyres with tread on or refurb and fit the 16's finally!!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Good stuff Mike, hope the fuel consumption eases up!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Mikebmth wrote:it seems the majority of Cavs had Motronic 1.5 Ecu fitted all bar the Gsi / Turbo which carried the Motronic 1.7 but don't quote me on that as I am getting into the techy zone where I have no idea!

Here's a list of engines alongside which system they had fitted.

20NE, 20SEH -Motronic ML 4.1, after 1990 1.5
C20NE - Motronic M1.5
20XEJ - Motronic 2.5
C20XE - Motronic 2.5, after 1992 2.8
C20LET - Motronic 2.7
X20XEV - Siemens Simtec 56
C25XE - Motronic 2.8
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Keeping notes now....

Since every blimmin sensor changed and new Cat

110 miles and counting to quarter of a tank!! :-)

Next job is to convince him upstairs to give us some decent weather then it'll be waxing time!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

That's a lot better than before, right?

Great stuff.. I'd say the replacement fuel filter and lambda sensor did most of the improvement there..
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

So I forgot to update this, blame the Cav.......Too much fun :lol:

Last month final fuel / mpg usage was 363 before I put quarter of a tank back in as don't like the red light, after the 1/4 was put in she did 420 ish before resetting the trip counter.

This is one car that definitely needs a jolly up and down the motorway a little more often, 4 1/2 miles to work is not helping the cause but with show season rapidly approaching I will be up and down the M27 and A27 a bit more however she doesn't get the trips she used to since separating with my mrs up in Aldershit.
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Mikebmth wrote:So I forgot to update this, blame the Cav.......Too much fun :lol:

Last month final fuel / mpg usage was 363 before I put quarter of a tank back in as don't like the red light, after the 1/4 was put in she did 420 ish before resetting the trip counter.

This is one car that definitely needs a jolly up and down the motorway a little more often, 4 1/2 miles to work is not helping the cause but with show season rapidly approaching I will be up and down the M27 and A27 a bit more however she doesn't get the trips she used to since separating with my mrs up in Aldershit.
A simple fix then with a good result. As for your milage last month my Cavalier don't even that in the course of a year. :o

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Greig Sri wrote:
A simple fix then with a good result. As for your milage last month my Cavalier don't even that in the course of a year. :o

Greig
Simple I guess but expensive, its cost me in excess of £150 in parts to get it running properly again!

Would love to get a smaller car for work and keep the Cav for shows etc but just not got the funds or the space to park a second car tbh
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well not posted in months as it was all going kinda ok ish, as well as this one ever does anyway.....

Same old problems though, Mpg is through the roof again and managing about 270 mile to a full tank along with a new suspension steering problem :'(

Just been told about a chemical cleaner BG44k so going to give that a go and see how well it works as I believe the engine is just gunked up with the short journeys I make daily to and from work she only just gets warm especially as winter seems to be looming up on us again!

As for the suspension issue, beat a kerb on the drivers side front avoiding a pri*k who couldn't work out one of my local busier roundabouts and since had it retracked by Pro-tyre who usually do a fab job, one of the few I allow to work on the cav tbh but steering is off and at neutral position she is pulling left so reckon its bent something :'(

Waiting on a mate local to me to get permission to use a local garages ramps so we can get it up in the air and have a proper look but in the meantime it is a total pig to drive and feels quite weird.

Car did go up for sale on the groups FB page a week or so back but with no real interest I thought I'd hang onto it until the Mot in January and see from there but the temptation to go Jap is strong, fed up of repairing the Cav and shoving money into it only for it to break again.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Good to see you're still keeping hold of it, but I understand your frustration about the Cav just seeming to need more and more spent on it to get it half decent. I am so close to just buying something else but I won't have anything to play with them and besides 'new' cars I can afford are on the cusp of turning 6-7 years old - just when major things go wrong with them! For short journeys I would look at getting a diesel - a nice Sportage van shouldn't cost that much and has loads of room of speakers/junk/etc - it's something I've been looking at...
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

lowrider dave wrote:a nice Sportage van shouldn't cost that much and has loads of room of speakers/junk/etc - it's something I've been looking at...
My boss has a new ish Sportage, very nice in fact....

Hoping my workmate remembers a trolley jack today as local garages seem bloody useless at finding what is wrong, thinking something is bent but don't know what as yet which is P*ss*g me off no end.

Always been concerned about the chassis since the accident but lined up ok on tracking so go figure.

Will report back once we have some idea, if we can't find the problem today I hope to have it in the air by midweek and go over the steering and suspension, arb and fixings.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Hi Mike

Might be a slow puncture on the left really low tyre pressure causing it to pull ?
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

iangsi wrote:Might be a slow puncture on the left really low tyre pressure causing it to pull ?
I may have my moments but I'm not that daft :p :lol:

Ok so not much progress thanks to that thing called work and more so the thing I hate called "Annual Audit" :lol:

Planned to take the car in twice last week and first time my mutual mechanic friend forgot we were going to his workshop and was at his paint shop a few miles away instead!! Arranged a time and day with him only for me to have to cancel to do a full audit on my office which was fun...Not!!

Things seem to be actually getting worse so its a progressive fault and I'm trying today to get away to get it looked at if it wasn't for the "I need this now" senior management :'(

Anyway all we have found so far is 2 holes in the rear floor around the end of the sills as usual that will require welding for the next MOT but the saga of the suspension / steering goes on for now.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Quick one....

Car been into the garage and all that could be found I have ordered so..

2 x Arb droplinks as bushes just fubar and o/s one egged

1 x O/s track rod end

Should be in the garage early next week hopefully as I just don't have time or space to do the work it needs, fortunately its mates rates :)

Needs some welding before the Mot in January to but garage is going to quote on that while they have it in the air.